The "UNOFFICIAL" Helios FAQ thread....

I have a fully equipped Helios on order and I am eagerly anticipating its arrival but of course I don’t expect it till summer does anybody know when actual pictures of a fully equipped Helios will appear rather than rough renderings???

I have a fully equipped Helios on order and I am eagerly anticipating its arrival but of course I don’t expect it till summer does anybody know when actual pictures of a fully equipped Helios will appear rather than rough renderings???
Probably after the first one (for a customer) is built.

Concerning my request for a CHAIN DRIVE verses GATES BELT . Due to the X1 /Bafang 2300 Motor I am of the belief that the chain drive will last 30 mins longer than the GATES BELT.

Concerning my request for a CHAIN DRIVE verses GATES BELT . Due to the X1 /Bafang 2300 Motor I am of the belief that the chain drive will last 30 mins longer than the GATES BELT.
😁
Good one, but you’d be mistaken.

I know pushkar reported in another thread some time ago that he had heard bad reports about a SA with more gears (5 or 8 I think) and thats why he went to SA3. Hope pushkar responds to this question.
Here is one of the complaints I found regarding the sa 5 speed igh. I think that is why pushkar changed to the sa 3 speed. I wish I knew if he also found problems with this one which became the standard offering for awhile. Here is the quote from an owner of a bike with Sa 5 speed.
"This bike comes stock with a terrible internal hub. Specifically, it is a new(ish) Sturmey Archer RX-RK5 5 speed hub. This hub is supposed to be designed for fat tire bikes and supposedly capable of handling the torque that can be delivered to it from a 750 watt mid-drive motor. The reality is that this hub is not able to handle higher levels of torque (search Luna Cycle's forum for other reports from BABE owners complaining about this hub) and it fell apart on me within about 3 months. "

Here is the reference from Pushkar....
-BB

Post in thread 'Kindernay observations and few questions for Pushkar'
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...d-few-questions-for-pushkar.40981/post-401447

[IMG alt="RMK!"]https://electricbikereview.com/forums/data/avatars/m/28/28576.jpg?1591714695[/IMG]

RMK!

Well-Known Member​

Here is thread from a person who started a thread on SA5. I was hoping to use ww with the 750 base option with belt drive and the SA3 IGH they used to offer at base price. But now I guess I will wait and see if pushcar can come up with another base option that doesn't increase price by $1,300. Here is what the guy said today.
"As the thread starter, I feel obliged to say that no one should order the MD 1000 (or any other powerful mid-drive ebike) with Sturmey Archer's RX-RK5 Internal Gear Hub (IGH). Reports from here and elsewhere including Leili (the place where I purchased mine) indicate that this is a drive train that is not suitable for this application. It appears that Leili is offering discounts on a SRAM cassette chain replacement and that is the option that I chose.

I'm at 1200 miles on my MD 1000 I am happy with the bike in every regard except the IGH. At times it has worked well and then unexplainably it will slip, clunk and ghost shift in certain gears. I never shift under load but I do start out in and maintain PAS levels 3-5 as well as primarily using the high gears 4 and 5 for most of my rides. Apparently, starting out in higher levels of PAS is also bad for this IGH. If this were are US based product, a recall would probably result in bankruptcy for the manufacturer but Chinese companies are of course shielded from any actions against them. If the Bikonit branded version of this bike have been selling well, then I would expect lots of problems for them as the Leili folks tell me that they are experiencing high IGH failure rates with that customer base as well as their unbranded version.

One option worth exploring is using the reportedly more robust SA 3 speed IGH as a replacement. The cost of this is considerably less than the SRAM Chain swapout but it will take some brave and mechanically inclined person to blaze that trail. I reached out to a Sturmey Archer repair shop in the Pacific Northwest about this possibility and thus far, they have not responded. I think Bolton Ebikes might have the best input on this IGH swap out and If enough of their "Warthog MD 1000" customers have failures with the 5 speed, we may eventually see something from them.

In any case, I will continue to use the SA IGH until it breaks and then choose the next best alternative."

First Prev 55 of 55

Anyone “unofficially” want to report when they actually ordered their Helios.. date / order# ? Just a fun thing to mark time as we get closer to the Maiden voyage of Helios 1.

Anyone “unofficially” want to report when they actually ordered their Helios.. date / order# ? Just a fun thing to mark time as we get closer to the Maiden voyage of Helios 1.
Maybe how you’re appointing your new ride as well?

Wow... well, that is going to squash replies right there. You've been waiting a long time. I just made it in the initial group, with an order made on November 18th. And I thought THAT was a LONG time to wait for a bicycle. You're going on a year. I'm in the situation of not having a bike to ride in the meantime; I sure hope these things get built and delivered.

Wow... well, that is going to squash replies right there. You've been waiting a long time. I just made it in the initial group, with an order made on November 18th. And I thought THAT was a LONG time to wait for a bicycle. You're going on a year. I'm in the situation of not having a bike to ride in the meantime; I sure hope these things get built and delivered.
I bought another ebike in August, so I had something to ride, along with my light (regular) road bike.

June 1 for me. We certainly have a patient group.. Says a lot for Pushkar to have so many long timers buying his vision.

Can someone explain the harness 2 yr option to me... I assume it’s for programming but wonder about its practical use

Back