The "UNOFFICIAL" Hydra FAQ thread....

Hello All- long time no write. Does anyone recognize the photos below? Given that the weather girl announced that Northern California can expect a series of fire ending rain storms, I know what @pushkar said is real. Due to ship soon. Stay tuned!!
-BB
View attachment 103492
View attachment 103493

View attachment 103494

Answer: Look at pseudo-photo on post #1…..
I can't wait to hear how the Kindernay fares for you in trail riding. I rode trails near our house both days this weekend and last Thursday. Everytime I come to a sudden full stop going uphill I think, "Kindernay can downshift to first gear AT a full stop."

I got a very bad review of the Kindernay from @pushkar when I recently picked my bike up. He said the latest batch were now all leaking and that had reproduced the issue in the shop.

I had wanted to switch to the Kindernay because of the chain skipping I had experienced with the Shimano, but he talked me out of it.

I got a very bad review of the Kindernay from @pushkar when I recently picked my bike up. He said the latest batch were now all leaking and that had reproduced the issue in the shop.

I had wanted to switch to the Kindernay because of the chain skipping I had experienced with the Shimano, but he talked me out of it.
Pushkar talked you out of Kindernay?!? :( I upgraded to Kindernay, and bike is targeted for build this month, I'm concerned. @pushkar are all Kindernay's leaking in the latest batch? I presume I'd be getting one of these.

This sounds like a bad series of gaskets, and nothing that could not be fixed eventually.
Hell, Worst case scenario, I would add some sealant to the gasket until they have good ones :)

This sounds like a bad series of gaskets, and nothing that could not be fixed eventually.
Hell, Worst case scenario, I would add some sealant to the gasket until they have good ones :)
I’m not sure it’s that simple. I went through three of them before giving up and one was sent back to Norway to be fixed and still came back leaking.

We shall see, but on a gear box like this which is not subject to any intense mechanical or thermal stress, I can only think of two ways the seal fails. Either the surfaces are bad (not flat, scratched...) or the gasket material fails to expand and seal properly.

The first case if pretty obvious to detect, The second may not be depending on the type of gasket (I am not 100% sure of what type they use), and when a gasket fails, the first reaction will be to just replace it. If you happen to have a bad batch of gasket, you are going to be doing that a few times before wondering if you have a batch problem.

Permatex has a series of excellent products that can help with the second issue.

Hopefully now that they have been alerted of a series of problems, they have investigated and are coming up with a solution.

Launching a brand new product like the VII without doing that would not be a good idea on their part :)

Pushkar talked you out of Kindernay?!? :( I upgraded to Kindernay, and bike is targeted for build this month, I'm concerned. @pushkar are all Kindernay's leaking in the latest batch? I presume I'd be getting one of these.
Yes, after the 'demo' bike time I had asked to upgrade to the Kindernay but @pushkar said that there had been so much leaking and that WW had started to see the issues that he gave the impression that he would not sell me one.

I'm sure there is someone out there with one that has been fine, but it does appear they are having issues. Pretty serious issues depending on batch.

I'm going to keep watching. I think the new 7 gear Kindernay may be the one for me.

Yes, after the 'demo' bike time I had asked to upgrade to the Kindernay but @pushkar said that there had been so much leaking and that WW had started to see the issues that he gave the impression that he would not sell me one.

I'm sure there is someone out there with one that has been fine, but it does appear they are having issues. Pretty serious issues depending on batch.

I'm going to keep watching. I think the new 7 gear Kindernay may be the one for me.
I would just like to add that I got my Hydra with a Kindernay at the beginning of August and after riding about 500 miles I have not seen any oil leakage so far. Perhaps I have been just lucky with that batch of Kindernays.

What is everyone's experience with battery performance? Do you get consistent power down to low battery %? I have been tracking % on the bluetooth app and after 50% power seems to drop off quite noticeably. Yesterday, I got about 18-20 miles on city streets in level 1-3 (mainly 1 and 2). I had 35% power left at the end of the ride but it felt like it was in limp home mode.

Circling back on Kindernay, spoke with build manager today and can't do Kindernay on fat bikes at this time. :(
Oh well, I'm stoked to know the bike build is progressing, super stoked!!

Circling back on Kindernay, spoke with build manager today and can't do Kindernay on fat bikes at this time. :(
Oh well, I'm stoked to know the bike build is progressing, super stoked!!
I contacted them a few weeks ago inquiring about the fat hub, they said they're shifting focus to the 7 speed, not manufacturing any more fat hubs & saving the few they have in stock for warranty support. No plans currently on bringing it back currently due to low demand. I was under the impression that the hubs are the same and the spacing is changed just with the small tube & end caps.

I wonder if we can get a group buy together they would fulfill an order for them, not likely but worth a shot if we can round up enough people who are interested - worst that could happen is they decline and we get our hearts broken yet again. I'm still interested in a regular one for a commuter and if there is no fat IGH for us by the time I pick up a Kindernay I could see if it can be something like machine a longer tube and it's good to go for fatties, they do still sell hub cages at least. Probably wishful thinking

I contacted them a few weeks ago inquiring about the fat hub, they said they're shifting focus to the 7 speed, not manufacturing any more fat hubs & saving the few they have in stock for warranty support. No plans currently on bringing it back currently due to low demand. I was under the impression that the hubs are the same and the spacing is changed just with the small tube & end caps.

I wonder if we can get a group buy together they would fulfill an order for them, not likely but worth a shot if we can round up enough people who are interested - worst that could happen is they decline and we get our hearts broken yet again. I'm still interested in a regular one for a commuter and if there is no fat IGH for us by the time I pick up a Kindernay I could see if it can be something like machine a longer tube and it's good to go for fatties, they do still sell hub cages at least. Probably wishful thinking
I want one, so in on a group buy assuming they aren't dribbling oil all over the place. As I said somewhere else, I got a very dismal view of the current batch from @pushkar when I picked up my bike a few weeks ago so I hope the VII is improved.

@Lsthrz yea this is the only thing that concerns me, but I've also read some threads on other forums with happy riding on them for thousands of kms. I'd like to see how the VII compares, and am interested to know what the cause of the issues with the XIV batch that leaking was - simple bad seal or bad machining? I also don't know the depth of the issue - whether it was only high-powered X1's or at different shipping wattages? I ordered my X1 with the 750W throttle & the programming harness, and I don't plan on running over 1500W but we'll see how that actually plays out when I'm trying to climb a mountain.

Might be worth starting a thread in the Kindernay subforum to get gauge interest & get a head count if it seems doable. The whole irony of this situation (for me, at least) was I was holding out on buying a Kindernay until the Onesie lever was released, as soon as it was they stopped the fat hubs! Life is pain.

Good idea.

Also, if you really want something, someone has one they are not using or started to use but interests/focus changed. (On ebay you can set up a search for something and just leave it searching 24/7 in case it ever comes through.

Back