Please Help: first eBike for experienced mountain biker (but not looking to crush single-tracks)

Reed, exactly the response I was hoping for--you have a couple of the bikes I've looked at and mentioned Biketrix which just announced their Monte Capro Lite for $4399 that is 49lbs and pretty well loaded component and suspension-wise. Which do you like better, your Frey or Wattwagons?
For looks, weight and 'nimbleness' the Hydra of course. For being a truck of a bike, solid rack and tailoring axle, the Frey. I have Wattwagons motors in them both so that's equal.

I don't think that a carbon fiber frame, at least as done for eBikes especially the Bafang specific ones, means you are getting "light weight". @greeno here has an aluminum frame 25ah battery M620 motor FS bike that weighs less than my carbon fiber Luna Z1 with the same motor and a 17.5ah battery.

If I am reading your needs correctly you would be happy with an FS M620 bike. High power, mid drive with torque assist and throttle able. Fast and fun on any type of road but also able to crush single track, although you say you don't need that feature, until you experience it that is :) Cost is usually more reasonable than big name brands that have EU spec 250w motors so beloved by some on this forum.

There is a thread on here about 2022 Bafang models that you might want to read if you haven't already. Frey seems to pop up alot in that thread, the AM1000V6 is particularly appealing, but anything you decide on will be months out for delivery. None of the bikes you list are available to purchase any sooner.

One thing for some to consider is motor noise. My WW Hydra with the Ultra motor has a pretty loud churn or growl by my standards.

It's plenty fun to ride. I have a hard time choosing between it and my Scott Genius 900 with no throttle because they're both fun for me for different reasons on MTB trails/fire roads.

I do like quiet out in nature. I'll be watching that fairly new thread with a motor promising to be quieter than the Ultra. I see many think that will be Biktrix.

Last edited:
One thing for some to consider is motor noise. My WW Hydra with the Ultra motor has a pretty loud churn or growl by my standards.
You need to take out the motor and add some grease Merle. Mine had very little in there and adding some, but not too much, quieted it down alot. Still not silent but less abrasive for sure. I used Corn Head grease.

I don't think that a carbon fiber frame, at least as done for eBikes especially the Bafang specific ones, means you are getting "light weight". @greeno here has an aluminum frame 25ah battery M620 motor FS bike that weighs less than my carbon fiber Luna Z1 with the same motor and a 17.5ah battery.

If I am reading your needs correctly you would be happy with an FS M620 bike. High power, mid drive with torque assist and throttle able. Fast and fun on any type of road but also able to crush single track, although you say you don't need that feature, until you experience it that is :) Cost is usually more reasonable than big name brands that have EU spec 250w motors so beloved by some on this forum.

There is a thread on here about 2022 Bafang models that you might want to read if you haven't already. Frey seems to pop up alot in that thread, the AM1000V6 is particularly appealing, but anything you decide on will be months out for delivery. None of the bikes you list are available to purchase any sooner.
Yes, I like the Juggernaut FS Pro, but Biktrix just released the Monte Capro Lite that looks to be a little better spec'd out and much lighter at just over 40lbs for a full suspension at $4399! Motor is 500W vs 1000W for the FS Pro but thinking 500W could be sufficient.

JRA for what it's worth my frame is all carbon fiber, not aluminum.
My buddy has a Juggernaut FS bike and tips the scales at 74lbs. Running the 27.5" wheel set and with the 197mm wide rear dropouts he's had a few issues with hubs blowing up. The hubs that bike comes with are lower quality for sure ( Quanta ). Not sure on the Monte Capro or the lite. He has a DT Swiss one now that seems to be holding up.
I do know the owner is a stand up guy and doesn't dodge issues when, if any arise which is nice nowadays.

Kona has a couple of ebikes for mountain biking, the Remote and el Kahuna bikes. You might check those out.

Back