Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs a bell but the level of effectiveness when compared to "on your left" or any other vocal notification is night and day.
One ring of the bell can easily clear over 100' of path of multiple parties well in advance of you getting close to anyone compared to just the closest that often don't know their left and moving at a much slower speed.
On your left works better with other bikers that are familiar with the term and moving at a similar pace...ymmv
"On you're left" works good on the paved trails I ride. People here are used to hearing it. We have many bikers in Wa. state. I tried a few horns and bells and all it did was startle people and scare the dogs. The human voice at a low tone is much more effective and appreciated on a quiet trail imo.

With ebikes, there is much more clutter on the handlebar area, and our hands can only be so many places at the same time. Upon any uncertain situation, we instinctively hover fingers over both brake levers, as with any bike. We take a calculated gamble to remove one of those to hit a bell, or horn, downshift, adjust PAS, apply throttle, flash the headlights, block a tree limb, etc.

For our horns, we relocated the actuation button to the brake lever stem, and it's been great for communicating to the most dangerous type of traffic without having to move hands very far or at all. Highly recommend.

image0-9.jpeg
image1-5.jpeg

For pedestrians and overtaking analogue bikes, we use incredibells on handlebars. There seems to be a Taiwanese company called BIKEfun making a CNC brake lever/bell combo that logically combines these tasks for around $180. A bit pricey, but we might consider something like that as a pedestrian/bike mod if it were more affordable. Does anyone have any knowledge of these? Are there other manufacturers? It would be nice if there was a hydraulic brake upgrade incorporating something like this.

692736098.jpg

With ebikes, there is much more clutter on the handlebar area, and our hands can only be so many places at the same time. Upon any uncertain situation, we instinctively hover fingers over both brake levers, as with any bike. We take a calculated gamble to remove one of those to hit a bell, or horn, downshift, adjust PAS, apply throttle, flash the headlights, block a tree limb, etc.
Agree that you need to be able to get to your bell lever with minimal hand movement. Also need to be able find and ring it without taking your eyes off the threat ahead.

The ringing lever on my bike's stock Incredibell knock-off met neither requirement. It was a small target an awkward thumb reach above the handlebar. Worse yet, it often rotated out of expected position on bumpy rides.

Didn't exactly see it coming, but the levers on my new ROCKBROS dual bell (see my last post) fixed all that. They can't rotate out of position, so I always know exactly where they are. And they're behind and below the handlebar, immediately inboard of the downshift lever -- a quick and easy reach of the thumb with no need to move the rest of my hand out of braking position.

I took to this new bell lever placement right away -- much more natural than with the stock bell. Yes, it puts the bell levers right in front of my gear indicator. But I encounter a lot of oblivious pedestrians, so well worth the sacrifice for me.

Last edited:
Agree that you need to be able to get to your bell lever with minimal hand movement. Also need to be able find and ring it without taking your eyes off the threat ahead.

The ringing lever on my bike's stock Incredibell knock-off met neither requirement. It was a small target an awkward thumb reach above the handlebar. Worse yet, it often rotated out of expected position on bumpy rides.

Didn't exactly see it coming, but the levers on my new ROCKBROS dual bell (see my last post) fixed all that. They can't rotate out of position, so I always know exactly where they are. And they're behind and below the handlebar, immediately inboard of the downshift lever -- a quick and easy reach of the thumb with no need to move the rest of my hand out of braking position.

I took to this new bell level placement right away -- much more natural than with the stock bell. Yes, it puts the bell levers right in front of my gear indicator. But I encounter a lot of oblivious pedestrians, so well worth the sacrifice for me.
I concur.
I can reach with my thumb my PAS, bell and horn (which also flashes my headlight with each tap) without taking my eyes off the road or interfering with braking. In an emergency I throttle for immediate and much more controlled acceleration if helpful.
PXL_20230110_181721327.jpg

see you guys need a copilot to run the bell. my wife is the dingee as she is in charger of the dinger :p
The ringer is the dinger (dingor), and the dog the dingee or recipient. Increasingly you seem to be the ringer. 🤭 ;)

The one item I have found that stops dogs chasing you, is the canned air horns,
boat horns. Every ranch/place around here has stock dogs (Working cattle dogs),
and they love to chase and nip bike riders (we only have 1 rider, ME).
I got the very small one and it stops them in there tracks, so far.
I only have 1 dog that seems to be a hard learner, and I have a solution for him..........

OK, so now I need to have a steak and air horn at the ready for dogs. And maybe a mini-bullhorn for "on your left" to pedestrians (my voice doesn't carry, long story). Oh, and a signal flare and first aid kit in case none of that works.

Guess it's time to dig out that photographer's vest.

Mirabell to be polite Airzound when they braindead.
However, being a hearing aid wearer and with severe hearing loss some bells pitch just won't be heard. Once again there's no substitute for a slowdown. Attitudes of entitlement on an MUP will make for an unpleasant ride. Slow down, smile, and enjoy. Getting wound up over having to break a pace is just a waste of my emotional energy. FFS this isn't life or death stuff, and ya ain't gettin out alive anyway,,,

I learned decades again that USPS dog spray just makes even meaner dogs. My air horn doesn't seem to have that effect and continues to work.

Last edited:
I will have to figure out how to mount a little air horn canister to the bike. of course as soon as I do it it will never happen again. it took 9800 miles for it to happen.

Mirabell to be polite Airzound when their braindead.
However, being a hearing aid wearer and with severe hearing loss some bells pitch just won't be heard. Once again there's no substitute for a slowdown. Attitudes of entitlement on an MUP will make for an unpleasant ride. Slow down, smile, and enjoy. Getting wound up over having to break a pace is just a waste of my emotional energy. FFS this isn't life or death stuff, and ya ain't gettin out alive anyway,,,

I learned decades again that USPS dog spray just makes even meaner dogs. My air horn doesn't seem to have that effect and continues to work.
I actually agree with all of that. Too many people ride like it's a race. Sit back, relax, give folks a second to notice you there, then ease around them and tell em' "thanks" if they had to move aside for you. They will usually say "you're welcome" as you go by. This makes for good public relations and keeps the complaints about ebikes on the walking trails down. We could easily lose the right to put ebikes on these trails if enough people complain to city hall. Be a polite ebiker. I use no jarring bells, alarms, or horns. Just slow down and sofly announce "behind you" if they are blocking the whole trail, or "on you're left" or "on you're right" is all it takes. People appreciate the vocal warnings and mostly hate bells and horns. That's been my experience on quiet trails. I never yell at anyone from my bike for any reason. Good way to piss people off, create road rage on the streets, and wreck my own peace of mind. It just ain't worth it on a bike ride.

I concur.
I can reach with my thumb my PAS, bell and horn (which also flashes my headlight with each tap) without taking my eyes off the road or interfering with braking. In an emergency I throttle for immediate and much more controlled acceleration if helpful. View attachment 144361
I have the same Crane bell:

So far, it's the best I've tried.

I find a bell works best on the more popular trails I ride. The pedestrians on these trails are used to hearing bike bell's and generally react without being startled. Not much use on the road though. There, a horn is necessary and the louder the better.

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs a bell but the level of effectiveness when compared to "on your left" or any other vocal notification is night and day.
One ring of the bell can easily clear over 100' of path of multiple parties well in advance of you getting close to anyone compared to just the closest that often don't know their left and moving at a much slower speed.
On your left works better with other bikers that are familiar with the term and moving at a similar pace...ymmv
There are some instances where "on your left" works better... sometimes when I ring the bell, the pedestrian doesn't know where I'm coming from (and doesn't know they should always shift right).

But I do prefer the bell partly because it makes me feel like Hector Salamanca. :) 🛎️

I actually agree with all of that. Too many people ride like it's a race. Sit back, relax, give folks a second to notice you there, then ease around them and tell em' "thanks" if they had to move aside for you. They will usually say "you're welcome" as you go by. This makes for good public relations and keeps the complaints about ebikes on the walking trails down. We could easily lose the right to put ebikes on these trails if enough people complain to city hall. Be a polite ebiker. I use no jarring bells, alarms, or horns. Just slow down and sofly announce "behind you" if they are blocking the whole trail, or "on you're left" or "on you're right" is all it takes. People appreciate the vocal warnings and mostly hate bells and horns. That's been my experience on quiet trails. I never yell at anyone from my bike for any reason. Good way to piss people off, create road rage on the streets, and wreck my own peace of mind. It just ain't worth it on a bike ride.
It's funny that I get the same much appreciated smile and wave by ringing a bell. A bike bell is a very familiar, non threatening and friendly sound and I've yet to startle a single person let alone any animal whether domesticated or wild using it. When I ring my bell at a much greater distance then you can vocally notify, I instantly see most step right... young parents coralling toddlers fascinated by every rock, stick and leaf to the right well in advance of my arrival. Kids absolutely love it and I often give a gratuitous second double ring as I pass just to make them smile and that many times gets me a big smile from their parents as well.
And it's not about being in a rush or a race, it's about a mutual respect for each individuals use of the path. I fully respect walkers but if I have to slow for every person on the path then it's no longer enjoyable for me and I'm not getting the exercise that I expected. I ride at normal bicycle speeds and walkers must mutually respect my use of the path as it is clearly marked for such use. This is why a bell is essential for cycling as voice is no where near as effective for walkers unless you slow to their speed. In the rare event I do need to slow down or stop... I don't stress it at all as implied, especially for children or the elderly.
But the braindead iPhone'rs.... No Quarter / Tower Buzzed

Last edited:
It's funny that I get the same much appreciated smile and wave by ringing a bell. A bike bell is a very familiar, non threatening and friendly sound and I've yet to startle a single person let alone any animal whether domesticated or wild using it. When I ring my bell at a much greater distance then you can vocally notify, I instantly see most step right... young parents coralling toddlers fascinated by every rock, stick and leaf to the right well in advance of my arrival. Kids absolutely love it and I often give a gratuitous second double ring as I pass just to make them smile and that many times gets me a big smile from their parents as well.
And it's not about being in a rush or a race, it's about a mutual respect for each individuals use of the path. I fully respect walkers but if I have to slow for every person on the path then it's no longer enjoyable for me and I'm not getting the exercise that I expected. I ride at normal bicycle speeds and walkers must mutually respect my use of the path as it is clearly marked for such use. This is why a bell is essential for cycling as voice is no where near as effective for walkers unless you slow to their speed. In the rare event I do need to slow down or stop... I don't stress it at all as implied, especially for children or the elderly.
The type of trail makes a huge difference. Some trails I ride are very wide with plenty of room to pass an flat with great forward visibilty. Others are narrow and go through dark woods with barely enough room to pass anyone. On the big, wide open trails the horn or bell would be ok, but on the quiet narrow trails it's not. I need to slow way down for everyone I'm behind or those coming towards me. I tried horns and bells. Found my voice to be much easier on the ears and works well. Then again, I don't mind slowing down for baby strollers, walkers, and especially joggers! I love scenery of the rivers, woods etc. I can always make up the time once back on the streets.

You lost me at the last entry. Anyone recklessly overtaking unprotected, slower moving, and/or distracted traffic, will be responsible for the consequences. 3 feet should be given as a minimum general rule (often the law depending on where you live). That goes in reverse too, since cycling lobbyists have been campaigning to secure that safety buffer from cars for generations. Callous actions stand to get cyclists banned from some mixed-use municipal trails where privileges may already be somewhat politically tenuous. #bebest

Last edited:
Back