Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions

A ban will never happen... So you lost me at "you lost me" 🙃
I would not place a bet on that. More and more people are complaining and sometimes suing ebike riders that are out of control and running into people out walking. Some take them on sidewalks, and some ride the wrong direction in traffic. I can see where more restrictions like training, license, and no more trails could becoming soon due to some riders acting like fools.

Tell me about it. My neighborhood's full of oblivious pedestrians night and day. I give them a wide berth on my bike and in my car.

And yesterday, I joined their ranks. My dog was in a mood, so I walked her across the street to avoid another dog coming our way -- right in front of a silent electric car behind me. The driver had every right to be mad but accepted my profuse apology.

I'm kind of a situational awareness fanatic and spend a lot of time these days wishing that other folks had more. Yet I had a lapse that could have turned out badly for all concerned.

Only one conclusion: Defensive riding isn't optional. Any pedestrian, cyclist, or driver around you can have a lapse at any time -- with or without a phone or earbuds or a companion to distract them.
Pretty sure MANY of us have lapses....

To observe somebody who is completely clueless regarding "situational awareness", one has to look no further than the aisles of a big supermarket, where it's very clear some are flat just not capable..... It's scary from where I'm sitting, wondering how they even got to that supermarket?

Do I run them over/into them with my basket? Or do I take a second to let them register that they are in the middle of the aisle, blocking traffic from both directions, before saying (politely) "excuse me"?

To observe somebody who is completely clueless regarding "situational awareness", one has to look no further than the aisles of a big supermarket, where it's very clear some are flat just not capable..... It's scary from where I'm sitting, wondering how they even got to that supermarket?

Do I run them over/into them with my basket? Or do I take a second to let them register that they are in the middle of the aisle, blocking traffic from both directions, before saying (politely) "excuse me"?
Maybe you should put a bell on your shopping cart! 🙂

Yep, exactly what we're up against, and zero chance that it will ever change.

Same thing happens in the busy hallways in hospitals. A lot of people are in a hurry, and some are trying to roll equipment and patients. Yet the very people who were rushing 10 minutes ago are gumming up the works now that THEIR rush is over.

That's where I first noticed a phenomenon that actually happens everywhere, including MUPs. In a passageway/path of varying width, people who stop for whatever reason have a strong tendency to do so at the narrowest point. I'm convinced now that human brains are just hardwired that way.

Maybe you should put a bell on your shopping cart! 🙂
Pure genius! Now I know what to do with the stock bell I took off my bike.
20230109_170732.jpg

Think I'll try it, just to see the reactions.

Last edited:
It would be super easy for a RingORing bell to be used on a shopping cart. Thanks to the o-ring wrapping around a handle from one side to the other, there's no screw or anything time-consuming to mess with and it takes 5 seconds or less to attach or detach.

But, nah. In a grocery store it's easy enough to get their attention just by clearing one's throat. Ahem!

Then again, maybe I'll just run them over. ;)

Ok.. I think I get it now.
Ring your bell to give as much advance warning as possible and if ignored or unheard because someone is immersed in their phone..ok to buzz the tower.
In the unfortunate instance they suddenly step further left and are driven from the path, slow and stop and announce on your left as you smack the phone from their scraped bleeding hand.
Am I missing anything? 🙃

Last edited:
It would be super easy for a RingORing bell to be used on a shopping cart. Thanks to the o-ring wrapping around a handle from one side to the other, there's no screw or anything time-consuming to mess with and it takes 5 seconds or less to attach or detach.

But, nah. In a grocery store it's easy enough to get their attention just by clearing one's throat. Ahem!

Then again, maybe I'll just run them over. ;)
I often take my bike in the grocery store without issue... but I do go at off hours for minimal indoor traffic
But I will need to remember I have both a bell and horn on the bike.

There's nothing better that a verbal warning to the cyclists you want to overtake or the pedestrians who cannot see you.
However, the "modern vice" are the riders and pedestrians wearing earbuds and losing any connection with the outer world. Sometimes you need to almost stop and SHOUT at the person. I admit I am very vocal about such people!

There's nothing better that a verbal warning to the cyclists you want to overtake or the pedestrians who cannot see you.
However, the "modern vice" are the riders and pedestrians wearing earbuds and losing any connection with the outer world. Sometimes you need to almost stop and SHOUT at the person. I admit I am very vocal about such people!
Similar in the UK. We use a loud bell, which does cause some people to jump out of their skin. But they stop or move and let us pass, we then thank them and wish them a good walk and the usually reply in the positive.

However, the problem ones are those with their face in the phone wearing ear buds, usually, young females. They meander all over the path and have no idea what’s going on around them.

Makes it difficult to pass them, even if you ring the bell, scream at them, hit them them with front wheel (Mrs DGs favourite).

The other problem is uncontrolled dogs not on a lead. For some reason they do like having a go at Mrs DG We have had some run ins with some owners from time to time. Fortunately, she can stand her ground and let’s them know how they can improve.

DG…

The other problem is uncontrolled dogs not on a lead.
Ouch!

A female friend of mine has actually stopped riding her new Como after the first ride when she had an Over-The-Bars because of an unleashed big dog... When I see a dog, I dramatically slow down and talk to the dog :) (It does not pertain to the countryside mongrels I escape at 30+ km/h as they cannot run that fast!)

At the beginning of the first lockdown I was going fast to pickup a part and a dog on a 12 foot leash jumped on me. I wiped out and rolled. I had bruises of every color, purple, orange, green, yellow and red. My friends called me rainbow man. The absolute best is a clown horn. It makes people smile and it doesn't say 'Get out of my way,' it does say I am here and having fun.

At the beginning of the first lockdown I was going fast to pickup a part and a dog on a 12 foot leash jumped on me. I wiped out and rolled. I had bruises of every color, purple, orange, green, yellow and red. My friends called me rainbow man. The absolute best is a clown horn. It makes people smile and it doesn't say 'Get out of my way,' it does say I am here and having fun.
If you are also wearing a big red clown nose and clown shoes they can never be mad

Back