Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions

Thanks,
I am in US but 100% Czech heritage. We grew up with Czech pen pal family, then under Russian control šŸ™
As an example, what did Czech kids want for Xmas from us? Pencils and paper cuz the schools had almost none.

- - Bells for me as I have become an ā€œon your left haterā€ā€¦ā€¦.IME , on your left tends to make walkers look over their left shoulder AND veer left , into your path šŸ˜³

The mere mention of biking in Czech Republic gets me drooling šŸš“
May of 2022 , in Prague, had the best city ride of all time!
Prague on fat tire E bike ā€¦.. first ride ever on a fattie or E fattie. One on one with guide and E fattie just plan rocks in Prague.
With all the cobblestones and no car zones , those fatties rules the town!

Should I start a thread on Czech biking?
Experience and tips and questionsā€¦
I quite fancy the idea of taking my bike over to the slopes at JeÅ”těd in Liberec, now that would be fun in winter.

Attachments

• PC210348.JPG
    PC210348.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 64
I was inspired to order a clown horn to add to the clutter on my handlebar (as if the bell weren't enough).

Who came up with "on your left," anyway? :rolleyes: I mean, the uninitiated could easily hear that and think, "Am I supposed to be more to my left?" It's so indefinite. The first couple of times I heard it from bicyclists, it simply startled me and all I could think at the time was, "Huh??" o_O Seems like we should be saying "Passing on your left" or some such.
What we yell in Poland is the English equivalent of "Free the left!" (lewa wolna!), which is understood by the cyclist being overtaken but not always by the pedestrians. So I slow down, and say "Could I have your left free, please?" It mostly works!

I was inspired to order a clown horn to add to the clutter on my handlebar (as if the bell weren't enough).

Who came up with "on your left," anyway? :rolleyes: I mean, the uninitiated could easily hear that and think, "Am I supposed to be more to my left?" It's so indefinite. The first couple of times I heard it from bicyclists, it simply startled me and all I could think at the time was, "Huh??" o_O Seems like we should be saying "Passing on your left" or some such.
"Passing on your left" - that's what I say.

On your left originally came from professional cyclists. It carried over to road riders and then to MTB/casual riders on paths. It was intended to be said to other riders, that typically know what it means. Most pedestrians don't have a clue.

On more than one occasion I have moved to the left when cyclists said "on your left."

Possibly because I heard their voice behind me and the left was the available space to move.

In any event, I have been riding bikes in cities for 15 years now. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

On your left originally came from professional cyclists. It carried over to road riders and then to MTB/casual riders on paths. It was intended to be said to other riders, that typically know what it means. Most pedestrians don't have a clue.
How anyone can think it's as effective as a bell that can be rung from a much greater distance and the meaning universally understood is beyond me
Sure you can dig a hole with your bare hands, but I'll take a shovel thank you

Last edited:
On more than one occasion I have moved to the left when cyclists said "on your left."

I have been riding bikes in cities for 15 years now. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
You're not alone. Seems like 50-60% of the pedestrians I overtake move toward the center of the path once my bell registers. I think it's just hard-wired in many people.

The other half of that problem is that many pedestrians give no indication that they've heard my louder-than-average bell until I'm too close for my own comfort, much less theirs. (My post-surgical voice is too soft to do any good.) Passive-aggressive or hard-wired? I think usually the latter.

So, in addition to the hard-wired instinct to move the wrong way despite all evidence to the contrary, I think a bike bell or voice from behind just takes a while to register with many people ā€” especially in conversation, in person or otherwise. Seems like talking to another person on foot has a huge hard-wired negative impact on situational awareness. Worse than earbuds, on par with screens.

Only one rational action-line for cyclists: Our reality is that many pedestrians are irrational and unpredictable, seemingly by nature. You can't tell which ones, and it's not going to improve. So...

o Pretend they have the right-of-way.
o Slow WAY down, stop, or even dismount to get around them.
o Be especially wary if they're talking.
o Buck up and be polite. They elect the people who make your bike laws.

Last edited:
"Passing on your left" - that's what I say.
Yeah... How's that with dog walkers and +10 foot leash?
Or a family with 5 year olds criss crossing the path?
Or non_cyclist or people who speak a different language?
I've tried and it's pointless.
But a bell warns from +75 feet away and with a hell of alot more time than 1 second.
Ring a bell well in advance of passing and you can see multiple groups just step right no matter the situation. Not fool proof.. but far more effective.

Last edited:
With dogs on a long leash, Iā€™ll pass on the opposite side of the dog. Then the owner can just get to the dogs side. It could be the left, or right. This way, the owner doesnā€™t have to pull their dog in. But yeah, if they canā€™t hear and are taking the whole path, Iā€™ll dismount my bike. Maybe tap them on the shoulder? I hope they arenā€™t armed.

I usually lock up the rear wheel.
They quite often dive out of the way after that.

Joking aside I call out ding ding and say I cant afford a bell, it usually produces a smile.
I found a photo of that classic clown horn. It worked better than anything. I ended up giving it away to someone, then selling that bike.
1692224670085.jpeg

Yeah... How's that with dog walkers and +10 foot leash?
Or a family with 5 year olds criss crossing the path?
Or non_cyclist or people who speak a different language?
I've tried and it's pointless.
But a bell warns from +75 feet away and with a hell of alot more time than 1 second.
Ring a bell well in advance of passing and you can see multiple groups just step right no matter the situation. Not fool proof.. but far more effective.
I use my bell, too šŸ˜. It's not either/or, but both.

My bell broke in 3 months, like all ****ese garbage. All replacements would be from the same origin, I'm not trying again. I announce "left", "right' or for Ohio bridge walkers backing up, "behind you". I pass pedestrians at a speed where I could stop in a meter.
I pass pedestrians at a speed where I could stop in a meter.
What he said.

First I Whistle a tune. Then i whistle LOUD..

Attachments

• 16922421969194538021496434453393.jpg
    16922421969194538021496434453393.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
4am Vado requires high power forward light for Da Ridiculous bike.
No bells required because no pedestrian and dogs on the pathways.
Nor should there be if it's a bike lane. But wild animals happen.

Back