Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions

self absorbed wandering morons.
I'll be damn if I slow down that much for every person i need to pass and wait for them to hopefully turn around at some point.
Maybe you need an attitude adjustment or some place else to ride.
Na... I'm doing just fine so don't take what I said out of context and to the extreme.
I ring my bell for all and 99.9% of the time I get a smile and/or a wave. The elderly appreciate the notice and not being startled and the bell is very familiar to them and the kids just love anything that rings.
I follow all the rules posted which are at every entrance to the trail as do most and always leave as wide a berth as possible

PXL_20230104_201955951~2.jpg

Now if you are one of those that walk with your iPhone glued to your face and think it gives you special privileges and that you don't have to follow the rules, be oblivious to others using the trail and multiple friendly warnings.. . You're more than likely going to get your tower buzzed

Last edited:
Today I looked on Amazon at bike bells. I don't really want an electronic sound. The Crane and Incredibell brands have some really big diameter bells with deeper ring tone that I liked, but their mounts won't fit on my 30mm handlebar. So I settled for an Incredibell RingORing, with o-ring attachment. Hopefully the o-rings won't stretch over time... but if they do, hey it's only $12. At least the trigger can be rotated to any desired position on this one, which seems like a plus.

Crane and Rockbros each have a small bell that's secured by a metal band long enough to fit, but both of them had at least a couple reviewers complaining that their straps would self-loosen. Incredibell sells a couple of bells with a strap attachment, and again some reviewers said they couldn't ever get the straps properly tightened to keep the bell from rotating. And of course all the bells have a few folks whose bells just plain quit working after a short time. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Na... I'm doing just fine so don't take what I said out of context and to the extreme.
I ring my bell for all and 99.9% of the time I get a smile and/or a wave. The elderly appreciate the notice and not being startled and the bell is very familiar to them and the kids just love anything that rings.
I follow all the rules posted which are at every entrance to the trail as do most and always leave as wide a berth as possible

View attachment 143960

Now if you are one of those that walk with your iPhone glued to your face and think it gives you special privileges and that you don't have to follow the rules, be oblivious to others using the trail and multiple friendly warnings.. . Your more than likely going to get your tower buzzed
Must wear helmets ? Blow me.

If you SHARE a path with walkers expect there will be space cadets. FFS. Ride the street if it's too difficult to STFD.
Maybe you prefer to allow space cadets to dictate... But I prefer to give them a taste of what they be given. So FFS STFD yourself.. I'll ride the trail and use it as it is intended.

Today I looked on Amazon at bike bells. I don't really want an electronic sound. The Crane and Incredibell brands have some really big diameter bells with deeper ring tone that I liked, but their mounts won't fit on my 30mm handlebar. So I settled for an Incredibell RingORing, with o-ring attachment. Hopefully the o-rings won't stretch over time... but if they do, hey it's only $12. At least the trigger can be rotated to any desired position on this one, which seems like a plus.

Crane and Rockbros each have a small bell that's secured by a metal band long enough to fit, but both of them had at least a couple reviewers complaining that their straps would self-loosen. Incredibell sells a couple of bells with a strap attachment, and again some reviewers said they couldn't ever get the straps properly tightened to keep the bell from rotating. And of course all the bells have a few folks whose bells just plain quit working after a short time. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I have been using my Incredibell Duet for about 12 years, (I rode in non-electric mountain bikes in the Czech Republic for about 10 years and bells are required there). The Incredibell Duet has a nice, cheery double ring. It gets noticed without being obnoxious. My original bell is still going strong.

Had the Crane, not a fan. It's now in the spare parts tub. Just use a cheapie Decathlon bell now. The BBB one is good too. I like a bell that can do a polite ting and a more attention getting tang. That, slowing down and a verbal cue do the job with 95% of fellow MUP users. The remainder I just edge past slowly. The beauty of an ebike is you're not expending much of anything slowing down to a courteous speed.

I agree with @tomjasz, if accommodating dog walkers, toddlers learning to ride and pedestrians in their own acoustic bubble isn't for you then get off the MUP and onto the road. Most roadies opt for the latter around my city.

Last edited:
I just thought I'd through this out there for pondering. While I have no bells on my EMTB's It ruins the hole minimalist thing. I'm not against people who do. I can alert people to my presents just fine!

I just thought I'd through this out there for pondering. While I have no bells on my EMTB's It ruins the hole minimalist thing. I'm not against people who do. I can alert people to my presents just fine!
Well that's the important thing... That you ride safe what ever means you use to alert people. As long as it works the method isn't important. I've just found that the level and frequency of vocal notification taxing and not as effective as a bell.

Well that's the important thing... That you ride safe what ever means you use to alert people. As long as it works the method isn't important. I've just found that the level and frequency of vocal notification taxing and not as effective as a bell.
yes I see frequency could be a issue not to crowded here most times

Based on info here -- thank you very much -- I tried this ROCKBROS dual bell:

20230109_163318.jpg

20230109_163342.jpg

Happy to report that it passed today's first test ride with flying colors. The thumb levers cover up most of my gear indicator, but I'm keeping it anyway.

Each bell's significantly louder than stock (below), and they're much louder together. The pleasing rings are clearer and longer-lasting, and the interesting unison beat could be attention-getting in itself.

Construction is sturdy, and each lever has a positive mechanical feel. The bell lever placement just inboard of the downshift lever is ergonomically perfect.

Most importantly, several pedestrians reacted to just one new bell at distances well beyond the reach of the stock bell below.
20230109_170732.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have to warns OTHERS,
I have to warn Cows, Horses/Donkeys (wild), Deer, Speed Goats and other various critters, the only critters that I don't warn, are the Pussy what Stinks and the Quill pigs, as they stand their ground and dare you to do something about it.
They have the right of way as far as I am concerned.........

Don't mind me I just think I'm funny! Lol anyways I usually say coming up on the right or coming up on the left...
Same here. On the bike trails "On you're left" usually does it. If they don't hear me I slow way down before going around. Tried a horn, but they scare people too much on a quiet trail. Throttle I use for deadstop takeoff only.

I find these types of encounters interesting. I have never used a bell, have always voiced my intent, have never seen a startled person. Always get either a "thank you" or friendly smile.
I agree. I tell people thanks when they move to the side to let me pass. Hardly ever seen people super shocked by saying I'm behind them or "coming around"

Amen. Including, at our greatly outnumbered corner of the triangle, the very real danger of losing access to bikeways and trails.
True. I can see the trails restricted for walkers only if people complain too much. I'd like a voice alert like Alexa announcing my rear approach. "Attention, bike coming, thank you"

I just use the incredibell, simple and cheap, I have tried several different types but other people are just too hard to predict.

https://mirrycle.com/item/original-incredibell/

There is no simple solution to this as every trail user is unique and there is no magic formula. Nothing works 100% of the time, The world is full of clueless idiots

My general procedure is:
Single Bell ring
Double Bell ring (if time)
Verbal "Bike" or "On your left" depending on the situation, half the time Im wrong. I prefer "Bike"
Bottom line: No simple answer, be patient, dont be a jerk. If the single bell doesnt work with an acknowledgement, expect an issue

Last edited:
I have a dog bell hanging from my handlebars to warn people and animals of my presence and will change gears, squeak the brakes, and/or give a verbal warning if not noticed. For people in cars - angry shouting seems to make them wake up. I've had to shout at so many cars it has become a habit and I caught myself shouting at a car that was about to back into me when I was driving my car the other day instead of using the horn.

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs a bell but the level of effectiveness when compared to "on your left" or any other vocal notification is night and day.
One ring of the bell can easily clear over 100' of path of multiple parties well in advance of you getting close to anyone compared to just the closest that often don't know their left and moving at a much slower speed.
On your left works better with other bikers that are familiar with the term and moving at a similar pace...ymmv

Back