Horn, Bell or Voice, how to warn others of your presence and intentions

I am with Mr. Roberts. I use a bell about 10% of the time. The other 90% has the walkers diving into the bushes to avoid what they think is a park 4-wheeler coming up behind them. Right now, I have the Maxxis Minion FBF and FBR's in 4.8" on the bike. Once in a while I get no acknowledgement and either slow way down or take the lawn or the ditch. to pass.

Bell, and voice... Though with so many pedestrians in ear bud la la land, I'm tempted to get an air horn!
I don't understand why people immerse themselves in electronics when out in nature. My preference is listening to birds and noticing other natural sounds (or even the deep throat gurgle of a towboat); hoping it is natural for someone overtaking me to let me know.

it's not a one solution challenge. there are several types of people and you never know which ones they are until after the interchange.

we always ring but had a blind guy snap at us that you are required to SPEAK to them whether approaching from the front or rear. told us we should READ his shirt that said, "BLIND MAN." I told him it was only printed on the back side and we approached from the front.

you just cannot please everyone.

best rule is to slow down and be polite, tone of voice, smile, thank them, etc. even that doesn't work for some ...

why are so many people grumpy on a beautiful day outside? ... mysteries of the universe, human condition ... ah, they don't have an EBIKE!!!

i generally avoid mixed use paths. the speed differential between how fast I’d like to go and how fast it’s safe or legal to go is too great. roads are better. When i do MUP, I’ll usually just call out “passing on your left,” or if they’re fully blocking the path, slow to a crawl and yell “excuse me!” followed by a “thanks!” if/when they move over. on a very wide path, I just go around.

a few days ago I was in a tunnel with a very narrow sidewalk/path and a dude in front of me walking slowly had his noise canceling earbuds so loud that after several MINUTES of yelling as loudly as I could he made zero acknowledgment. finslly i dismounted, awkwardly walked in front of my bike and tapped his shoulder. completely surprised there there was another human being in the universe besides him 😂

My bell broke in 3 months, like all ****ese garbage. All replacements would be from the same origin, I'm not trying again. I announce "left", "right' or for Ohio bridge walkers backing up, "behind you". I pass pedestrians at a speed where I could stop in a meter.
You realize your entire bike was likely made there dont you?

Then I started traveling to the Czech Republic on business, (2 weeks at a time, 2 to 3 times a year from 2006 until 2019).
How cool! The Czech Republic has been my favourite e-biking summer holiday destination. I'm keen to listen to some of your Czech experiences! And yes, I know the Czech people are serious about the regulations (although it is a merry nation otherwise) and the use of the bell is OK there. As for Poland (where I live), a bell ring is either perceived as slightly offensive or it is not heard. On the rare situations I'm forced to share the paths with pedestrians, I use my voice in a humorous manner like "RING-RING! (actually spoken) Would you mind letting me ride on your left side? Oh, thank you so much! Have a nice day!" :) I like seeing happy faces then. And I ride extremely slowly, especially when dogs are present. "Oh, what a cute doggie! Good doggie! It wouldn't be so stupid to jump under my wheels, right?" :D

How cool! The Czech Republic has been my favourite e-biking summer holiday destination. I'm keen to listen to some of your Czech experiences! And yes, I know the Czech people are serious about the regulations (although it is a merry nation otherwise) and the use of the bell is OK there. As for Poland (where I live), a bell ring is either perceived as slightly offensive or it is not heard. On the rare situations I'm forced to share the paths with pedestrians, I use my voice in a humorous manner like "RING-RING! (actually spoken) Would you mind letting me ride on your left side? Oh, thank you so much! Have a nice day!" :) I like seeing happy faces then. And I ride extremely slowly, especially when dogs are present. "Oh, what a cute doggie! Good doggie! It wouldn't be so stupid to jump under my wheels, right?" :D
I guess that it's not completely off topic if it shows my bike with it's bell. Anyway, here are a few from the Czech Republic. These were taken in the Moravian Region of the Czech Republic. The trail network is amazing, and that same bell is now on my Cross Core. I think that it is at least 12 years old, made in Japan, and after lots of use, it is still like new. It is quite loud and has a "Duet" ring, (It was made by Incredibell and rings twice for each push). I always got smiles and nods, (no threats or feinted punches).

The last image is sad and it is in regard to murdered resistance fighters during WWII. There is a nice memorial on the other side of the path. I visited a number of these memorials as well as memorials where Allied Bombers had crashed. My father's last mission was to Brux, Czechoslovakia in May of 1944, (he was shot down, captured and held as a POW until his escape from a forced march in April of 1945). The Czechs never forget that freedom is fragile and that many paid a very high price, only to be occupied by the Soviets for the next 46 years. I never went by any of these memorials without paying my respects and feeling humbled and thinking of my father and uncles.
IMG_0358.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    943.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    938.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
It appears so. 🤷

You know, jes2020, life can be very ironic, and $#it ricochets, so be more circumspect when you put people down because they have an illness, lest they have the ironic last laugh.
I no longer read the fella. He follows members only to troll. Recently one of the kindest fellows here and most helpful @harryS has been taking his pokes silently.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 12.29.30 AM.png

Last edited:
I probably encounter 20 people a day minimum, and unfortunately there is no simple solution as every person can be different and half are wearing earphones or talking on their cellphone and completly unaware. While I find these clueless people annoying, the last thing I need to do is come up on them and blast a 105db 48V horn. I guess if you want to be as unpopular in real life as you are in these forums then go for it.

I have been using incredibells basically forever: Incredibell.

Clicking your brake levers also works but moreso for other bikers.

I also like the timberbell(video link) but I get tired of hearing it on high traffic trails. Better IMHO for strictly MTB stuff(I have one on my eMTB) where its only needed occasionally and where giving a long warning is beneficial for things like thick foilage, limited visibility or coming up on switchbacks.

If my incredibell doesnt work, I usually just say 'bike', maybe a few times more getting louder everytime. Seems that there is no difference between this and "on your left" as its a crapshoot as to how people will react. Best to just slow down and be kind even if they are wrong.

You will never please everyone. I have come on people where I literally had to dismount and walk/scoot past them and even that pissed them off. Oh well

Last edited:
Should we add strobes for the hearing impaired?
I'm merely suggesting as TForan52 wisely suggested...
There are a couple of asshats riding around our local lake that insist on riding as fast as possible, and on a shared path where hearing impaired, iPhone junkies, clueless college kids, and little kids share paths. Due diligence and common sense rule. Our bikes for those paths are 36V 350W maximum 15A controllers and NEVER ridden over 12-15MPH and then only when the path is clear. Coming upon walkers we ding them. When it's a pack of college goofs on phones we sometimes use our Airzounds. But only for the clueless that are hazards and we've slowed down to near walking speeds and they still don't react and share the road.
I pass dozens of people a day and always slow to a crawl and ring the bell and then acknowledge them with a wave.

In fairness, too fast bikers have created some of the bad attitudes. These people really torque me off with their selfishness and dangerous riding.
yep. and unfortunately it only takes a few relatively bad apples for those who don't ride to paint all cyclists as dangerous. add this to the fact that it's hard to tell when someone on a bike is in control or not and a lot of animosity gets thrown around.

yesterday i was riding IN THE ROAD approaching a red light, at around 25mph. came to a complete (if rapid!!) stop a few feet before the crosswalk, just like the 4,000lb steel boxes next to me. an elderly lady in the crosswalk absolutely went off on me. "you need to slow down you almost hit me !!$?!&@!$?$ bikes !! ought be illegal !! speed limit !!"

it pissed me off enough that i yelled at her to mind her own business, at which point she really lost it. i'm sure at some point someone blew through a red while she was crossing, so i got painted with that brush too.

Back