Turbo Vado 4.0 2022 LHS Crank Removal problem

VadoFan

Region
Australia
Hi all, I've got a new Turbo Vado 4 (last one stolen) and am trying to remove the left-side crank to instal a chip. I've removed the 8mm hex bolt, and from memory that's all that is required... can anyone confirm if there are more steps or that's it and the arm just needs to be "coaxed" off somehow, please? From memory, when I did this on my previous Vado, the crank arm came off after just a little nudge or three, but this one is like it's welded on.

There are "teeth" on the crank arm side of the hole that seem to be only wedged into the corresponding spaces in the crank axle, but they look like they might possible also be threaded or grooved for more bite... [see pix] IMG_0666.jpeg

but I don't know. Perhaps a gear puller is now needed or similar?? I've wacked it with a hammer, given it everything with hands/arms, right up to the point I feared I'd break or strip something. So I'm reluctant to go further... I would much appreciate any insight if anyone has any experience a 2022 Vado crank removal.

Help please!

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpeg
    IMG_0660.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 58
It looks that your post got overlooked. Did you manage removing the crank?

Hi Stefan, yes thanks, but I had to buy a crank puller [ I got the Park Tool CCP-44 Crank Puller for Splined Cranks] which worked fine. But it became clear that there was no better way - I think I just got lucky with my previous Vado 4.0, the crank just came off easily with some pulling by hand, so I just assumed this was normal, but that seems unlikely. Not surprising really, since we all want our cranks to never fail!!

Thanks for checking!

Thank you for the information @VadoFan!

I will be in the position to replace the cranks on my older Vado with shorter ones, Praxis 165 mm for the 24 mm motor spindle, dedicated to Specialized e-bikes such as Vado. Praxis claims the cranks are self-extracting (so only an 8 mm wrench should be needed). In case of trouble though, my brother owns an ISIS crank puller! :)

Thank you for the information @VadoFan!

I will be in the position to replace the cranks on my older Vado with shorter ones, Praxis 165 mm for the 24 mm motor spindle, dedicated to Specialized e-bikes such as Vado. Praxis claims the cranks are self-extracting (so only an 8 mm wrench should be needed). In case of trouble though, my brother owns an ISIS crank puller! :)
One of them should do it! : ) I'm curious why you would go for the shorter cranks tho?

One of them should do it! : ) I'm curious why you would go for the shorter cranks tho?
It's complicated. I had to install a new Redshift Sports ShockStop suspension seat-post. Because of unusual geometry of my Vado's frame, I am in the saddle just 5 mm above the sweet point 😊 Shorter cranks would allow me optimizing my Roadrunner 😊

20240427_111317.jpg

I’m a specialized idiot and loving it…. Don’t know about the op… I have 140mm cranks on my Vado, because of leg injuries I can only bend my leg 90 degrees, a must to keep my foot on, this has very little effect on the speed or cadence…. Hmmm maybe a specialized idiot is smarter than a normal idiot

Yeah I'm grouchy. My ribs are broken , my shoulder is feeling better than yesterday.
I'm dope up with oxycodone.
If we all meet together for a ride 20 miles get to know each other we can be good friends for life

I have 140mm cranks on my Vado
A question of curiosity: What brand/model that could be?

I have found what the biggest issue with the too high seat-post was. Now, it is not my full weight of the legs resting on the pedals: the body weight has shifted onto my butt... I should have probably ordered a 160 mm crankset! (We will see).

Last edited:
Back