Turbo Vado 4.0 2022; Error 513, Full Power Loss

Update!:
I went to LBS today, and made some noise. LBS has decided to canabolize another bike, and replace all electrical components by Monday. They believe this will solve all issues. I had to visit LBS in person, in order to get some movement. They told me they nor Specialized, had any idea what was wrong with my bike, and that it was basically being experimented on. They used the term R&D. I got into a argument with one of the employees, after he got an attitude with me. I had to threaten requesting a full refund. General manager stepped in and provided reasonable options. Ugh! Why does everything have to be a fight!???

Update!:
I went to LBS today, and made some noise. LBS has decided to canabolize another bike, and replace all electrical components by Monday. They believe this will solve all issues. I had to visit LBS in person, in order to get some movement. They told me they nor Specialized, had any idea what was wrong with my bike, and that it was basically being experimented on. They used the term R&D. I got into a argument with one of the employees, after he got an attitude with me. I had to threaten requesting a full refund. General manager stepped in and provided reasonable options. Ugh! Why does everything have to be a fight!???
I hope that they actually figure out the issue and give you a working bike at the end.

It shows that when you are shopping for an e-bike you should be evaluating the shop and they should be evaluating you as a potential customer. E-bikes generally require more support than a bicycle due to the motor systems. Do they have a mechanic who has been trained for the e-bikes they sell or are they just learning on the job when time and interest permits? I would take exception to idea that Specialized is just letting you do the R&D. Most likely they were given some suggestions to check and probably ending with replace the system which has some risk for error too.

It shows that when you are shopping for an e-bike you should be evaluating the shop and they should be evaluating you as a potential customer. E-bikes generally require more support than a bicycle due to the motor systems. Do they have a mechanic who has been trained for the e-bikes they sell or are they just learning on the job when time and interest permits? I would take exception to idea that Specialized is just letting you do the R&D. Most likely they were given some suggestions to check and probably ending with replace the system which has some risk for error too.
LBS claims to be the biggest eBike shop in my area. They're trained on eBikes, but they said they don't know anything about this new generation from Specialized. So, they're learning as they go. I told them I was done being their guinea pig. If they want to send it back to Specialized for lab tests then fine, but I need something else in the mean time. I'm tired of waiting, and I'm not going to carry the burden of being sold a defective bike.

Update:
Bike repaired and working again. LBS decided to replace every single electrical part (display, battery, motor, etc). The new motor is a little louder when the chain stops. LBS said I could either keep the bike or return it, and have another shipped in (which could take months). I'll probably keep the bike, but I'm expecting the motor to have issues, since it's louder on disengagement. I compared with an identical Vado, and my motor disengagement noise is about 30%-40% louder. At least it's working again, and I still have a full warranty. I'd say I'm generally satisfied, but a little apprehensive about the motor noise.

Last edited:
Update:
Bike repaired and working again. LBS decided to replace every single electrical part (display, battery, motor, etc). The new motor is a little louder when the chain stops. LBS said I could either keep the bike or return it, and have another shipped in (which could take months). I'll probably keep the bike, but I'm expecting the motor to have issues, since it's louder on disengagement. I compared with an identical Vado, and my motor disengagement noise is about 30%-40% louder. At least it's working again, and I still have a full warranty. I'd say I'm generally satisfied, but a little apprehensive about the motor noise.
Update:
I purchased a 2022 turbo Vado a few weeks ago, had to take it to the shop as I didn’t think it was responding very well, they did an update I brought it home took It for a ride and it was responding great but when I came home I received the same error as yourself… I called the my LBS he said to bring it in it’s a quick fix as they had a few of those codes on last years bike…

I purchased a 2022 turbo Vado a few weeks ago, had to take it to the shop as I didn’t think it was responding very well, they did an update I brought it home took It for a ride and it was responding great but when I came home I received the same error as yourself… I called the my LBS he said to bring it in it’s a quick fix as they had a few of those codes on last years bike…

It's not a quick fix, at least not for me. They had to replace every single electrical component. This is a major system failure. I think the controller died, killed the computer and fried the rest of the system! Good news, my bike has been perfect since then, flawless. Just don't get your hopes up. I'm glad you found my post! I hope it helps you!

Last edited:
It's not a quick fix, at least not for me. They had to replace every single electrical component. This is a major system failure. I think the controller died, kill the computer and fried the rest of the system! Good news, my bike has been perfect since then, flawless. Just don't get your hopes up. I'm glad you found my post! I hope it helps you!
Thank you for the heads up, I will cross my fingers that they know what they are doing… it’s one reason I purchased a bike at a shop where they only sell and deal with electric bikes.. going through this I am so glad I did not buy online as I was planning to do so.. and I am thankful I found this forum. The only hurdle for me is that I live on a small island so I can’t just go to the shop whenever but I am still happy with my decision.. love this bike

Thank you for the heads up, I will cross my fingers that they know what they are doing… it’s one reason I purchased a bike at a shop where they only sell and deal with electric bikes.. going through this I am so glad I did not buy online as I was planning to do so.. and I am thankful I found this forum. The only hurdle for me is that I live on a small island so I can’t just go to the shop whenever but I am still happy with my decision.. love this bike

If LBS claims they don't have parts, demand they cannibalize parts from another one of their stock models, OR demand a replacement bike! I went through hell with this expensive bike, seems like I was the first person, at least it wasn't in vain, LOL!!!

If LBS claims they don't have parts, demand they cannibalize parts from another one of their stock models, OR demand a replacement bike! I went through hell with this expensive bike, seems like I was the first person, at least it wasn't in vain, LOL!!!
Good information, thank you lll see what they say when I go there and if it’s not what they said on the phone, quick fix I’ll be sure to push it but I have faith as as soon as I told them the error they said they have been through this with a few bikes last year…

Good information, thank you lll see what they say when I go there and if it’s not what they said on the phone, quick fix I’ll be sure to push it but I have faith as as soon as I told them the error they said they have been through this with a few bikes last year…
Keep in mind the 2022 Vado is a new generation, so they couldn't have had this issue last year with the same model/generation, LOL! Stay on them, my LBS thought I would wait weeks or months for them to troubleshoot. I said hell no, and threatened getting a refund. If they play games with you, just do a charge back with your bank, and tell your bank they sold you a defective bike. Let them duke it out with the bank. Consumers have a lot of power!

Keep in mind the 2022 Vado is a new generation, so they couldn't have had this issue last year with the same model/generation, LOL! Stay on them, my LBS thought I would wait weeks or months for them to troubleshoot. I said hell no, and threatened getting a refund. If they play games with you, just do a charge back with your bank, and tell your bank they sold you a defective bike. Let them duke it out with the bank. Consumers have a lot of power!
Oh I don’t think I would have the balls to do that… lol .. I’m a push over but I won’t stand on leaving my bike there for a long period of time, that’s not what I signed up for. They seem like a good shop and I do have faith in them to do the right thing.

Oh I don’t think I would have the balls to do that… lol .. I’m a push over but I won’t stand on leaving my bike there for a long period of time, that’s not what I signed up for. They seem like a good shop and I do have faith in them to do the right thing.
I'm happy for you. I was dealing with jerks in the DC area bike shop. They acted like I needed them. I was about to walk out, dispute charges with bank, and wipe my hands clean of them.

Bea, let me encourage you. Specialized are known as the company that cares, and their warranty is one of the best in the market. As far as I know, the company has done a lot to get rid of bad dealers recently. They seem to have gone through the supply chain disruption successfully (that's why you can enjoy your brand new 2022 Vado while many other brands cannot deliver any new e-bikes). And Specialized owns their solutions, not being dependent on other parties such as Bosch.

What makes the situation a little complicated is 2022 Vado, Como, and Tero are based on the new Mastermind system with new motors, batteries and displays/controllers; the supply chain disruption, holiday season, and your remote location. Still, your issue will be resolved to your satisfaction by Specialized, be sure of that. I can say the same to Jamster, although everything depends on the quality of the LBS, too.

My own experience: I bought a NOS MY2017 Vado 5.0 in 2019. This (brand new at that time) e-bike came from the first production batch and had issues with the electronics. The LBS that sold that 45 km/h e-bike to me kept reassuring me with these words: "We are waiting until Specialized releases 2020 electronics upgrade sets. As these sets require type-approval, that will take some time. Rest assured, Specialized won't let you down; it is just a matter of time". So I was riding that crappy Vado for several months to get the upgrade in the Spring of 2020. Free of charge, warranty service. My Vado has become my best e-bike since, ridden for over two years and with well over 10,000 km on the odometer.

Patience!

Bea, let me encourage you. Specialized are known as the company that cares, and their warranty is one of the best in the market. As far as I know, the company has done a lot to get rid of bad dealers recently. They seem to have gone through the supply chain disruption successfully (that's why you can enjoy your brand new 2022 Vado while many other brands cannot deliver any new e-bikes). And Specialized owns their solutions, not being dependent on other parties such as Bosch.

What makes the situation a little complicated is 2022 Vado, Como, and Tero are based on the new Mastermind system with new motors, batteries and displays/controllers; the supply chain disruption, holiday season, and your remote location. Still, your issue will be resolved to your satisfaction by Specialized, be sure of that. I can say the same to Jamster, although everything depends on the quality of the LBS, too.

My own experience: I bought a NOS MY2017 Vado 5.0 in 2019. This (brand new at that time) e-bike came from the first production batch and had issues with the electronics. The LBS that sold that 45 km/h e-bike to me kept reassuring me with these words: "We are waiting until Specialized releases 2020 electronics upgrade sets. As these sets require type-approval, that will take some time. Rest assured, Specialized won't let you down; it is just a matter of time". So I was riding that crappy Vado for several months to get the upgrade in the Spring of 2020. Free of charge, warranty service. My Vado has become my best e-bike since, ridden for over two years and with well over 10,000 km on the odometer.

Patience!
I understand what you’re saying. But please understand that when we pay a premium for a bike, we expect expedited premium service. Telling someone who owns a bike worth thousands to be “patient” is a bit patronizing, and insulting. How about you tell Specialized be more patient, diligent and ensure their quality control is up to standards? Honestly, bike frames are easy. However, a lack of attention-to-detail will quickly manifest in electronics, which we‘ve seen here.

I don’t know if you work for Specialized, or have stock in the company, but your posting history appears biased towards Specialized. It’s like you‘re doing damage control for Specialized. Specialized will be fine, they’re worth millions. Specialized isn’t going to improve, if people enable their mistakes, and make excuses for them. You’re willing to wait months for a fix, and I’m telling you now, that wait is beyond excessive, and you may have been taken advantage of.

It is very simple Jamster: I have ridden for 13,000 km on two Specialized e-bikes since November 1st, 2019. I used to demo ride two other Spec e-bikes (100 km). I used to own a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro (2,288 km) and still own a Czech hub-drive motor e-bike (3,923 km ridden), Because of a personal disaster of this year, I had to make a choice, and standardized on Specialized. Since I used to own as many as four e-bikes, I learned this lesson: There is no perfect e-bike in this world regardless of the price. Therefore, it is important to go with the brand that has the best warranty and post-sales service, and the best technology. That is Specialized for me. (I'm in no way related to Specialized).

If you are so irritated with Specialized, nothing stops you to ask for the refund and go with another brand. You will soon discover it might be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire...

Besides, there is no verb "patronize" in my mother tongue. We Poles are simply very direct in what we're saying.

Last edited:
Where I live there is now 4" of snow on the ground, with more to come. Other than those who need the ebike for transportation, or those with emtn bikes who put studded tires on for the winter, there isn't much ebiking from November to April here. Unless you have other reasons for people to come in it would be a pretty tough go of it selling only ebikes here. I live in a city where there are 7 potential places to purchase an ebike, if you include the big box stores. The 2 shops in our city that sell 'only ebikes' don't seem to be into repairing them, often referring customers to our shop. And one of them closes for the winter anyways.

Last edited:
If you are so irritated with Specialized, nothing stops you to ask for the refund and go with another brand. You will soon discover it might be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire...
That's what I'm talking about, it's your tone towards people that are having issues with Specialized. It's your take it or leave it approach that's off-putting. You don't have that same energy towards Specialized, a multimillion dollar company who is actually at fault! Shipping defective parts to customers is not okay, and expecting them to wait for extended periods of time is also wrong, and it's bad business. I would say this about any company.

Back