Turbo Vado 4.0 2022; Error 513, Full Power Loss

jigglyjamster

Region
USA
Picked up new Turbo Vado 4.0 2022 about 2 weeks ago. I loved it. Saturday it started stalling, and having power surges, then it suffered complete power loss mid ride. I was able to get MasterMind TCU online, long enough for Mission Control to share error code. It's Error Code 513, which means there are power related issues, pointing to battery connection, battery rattling, battery short, incorrect bike start, and/or accessory light power draw. Battery looks spotless, and all connections are clean. Bike has no obvious external physical damage, I babied this bike. I've attached pics of the Mission Control diagnostics page! Bike left me stranded, a few miles away from home. I had to bike manually. Guys I'm so disappointed with this bike, it was NOT cheap. I loved it for the short time it worked. It's currently at the bike shop who sold it to me, for repairs with no ETA for return! It's a waiting game.

I wanted to post this, because 2022 models are very new, and I didn't see anyone else with this issue. Sucks for me!! I hope I don't have to file a dispute with the bank, or get a lawyer involved. These bikes cost as much as some cars!!!! Hopefully the bike shop and Specialized don't play games with me. Sorry if I come off as rude, but I'm hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_8305.jpg
    IMG_8305.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_8303.jpg
    IMG_8303.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_8304.jpg
    IMG_8304.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 453
It's not really a new design and I've had good experience with Specialized warranty. Soon all of the non-Specialized users will find your post and offer their opinions too.

edit - The bike shops have gotten a lot better with working on the e-bikes in the last three or four years. Early on some of the mechanics did not really like the e-bikes but that has changed.

Last edited:
I will just wish you good luck and a fast and satisfactory outcome.

Or throw in - go lemon law and get a new one fast.

I will just wish you good luck and a fast and satisfactory outcome.

Or throw in - go lemon law and get a new one fast.
It had a glitch with the lights before I even purchased it, on the test ride. It actually coded. The bike shop didn't think it was a big deal. Yea, I'm watching this situation closely. I might ask for a refund, as I don't feel confident riding it miles out anymore. But yea, a bank dispute is certainly an option, but that'll hopefully be my last resort.

Murphy's law has hit me really hard this year. Most life problems I'm learning from, and rebuilding stronger. But, good grief, I'm sick of all the distractions. At least I don't have to deal with it alone. I have you guys.

Last edited:
So far, Specialized warranty turned out to be excellent for their users. No need to over-react before you see the LBS for a solution.
Even during the pandemic? I'm more worried about delays. What if I need a brand new bike? The display was flickering, and I'm worried the electrical problems fried the motherboard. Isn't there a parts shortage? I'm worried this could take months to resolve.

Even during the pandemic? I'm more worried about delays. What if I need a brand new bike? The display was flickering, and I'm worried the electrical problems fried the motherboard. Isn't there a parts shortage? I'm worried this could take months to resolve.
As @Stefan Mikes said don’t worry. Lots of ebikes have some errors when new. Some goes away on their own, with firmware update, or worst case by Specialized stepping in and exchanging parts under warranty. It always works out eventually.
we all have had these issues.
Stay close to some of the folks in this forum specially @Stefan Mikes. They will help you along. No need to worry and enjoy this beautiful bike you have purchased.

Update from the bike shop:
"Hey [redacted], it looks like we're running into some unexpected issues with your pbike. I'm working with our warranty guy who is reaching out to Specialized tomorrow for more troubleshooting. We reached out once today and tried what they recommended, but nothing yet. Thanks for your patience while we look into this. - Zach"

Here we go.... I'm sure the damage is severe. I'm preparing myself for the worst. Wouldn't be surprised if I need new bike, or have all electrical components replaced.

Last edited:
Having problems with your new, expensive ebike sucks, but as mentioned by others Specialized stands behind their product.
Even if they needed to replace your bike would that be such a bad thing? Personally, I'm be more than happy to replace my problematic new bike with another new bike.

Having problems with your new, expensive ebike sucks, but as mentioned by others Specialized stands behind their product.
Even if they needed to replace your bike would that be such a bad thing? Personally, I'm be more than happy to replace my problematic new bike with another new bike.
At this point, I'm more worried about inventory due to the pandemic. I don't even know if they could quickly replace the bike. I'm worried I'll have to wait weeks or months. And btw, I don't own a car. This is my primary form of transportation. It's a sucky situation.

At this point, I'm more worried about inventory due to the pandemic. I don't even know if they could quickly replace the bike. I'm worried I'll have to wait weeks or months. And btw, I don't own a car. This is my primary form of transportation. It's a sucky situation.
That are using this as your prime transportation is a key piece of information that puts your anxiety in context.

My first ebike is a Turbo S that I used for commuting about 20 miles each way to work. I have a car but I was riding a bicycle to work for fitness and had switched to the ebike to save both time and recovery as I got older. A the time in late 2014, the large retailers had a few ebike and it was a small part of the business. I had a couple of issues and it was always disconcerting when the mechanics at the time would be little dismissive of the ebikes and it would be a couple of weeks to get it resolved. The multi store retailer had a person assigned to work the Specialized issues and he always resolved the issue even when I thought it was out of warranty. It has gotten a lot better with the shops, ebikes are a lot more reliable but things still happen.

Last edited:
"You could say that. However, we are currently waiting on Specialized for a reply. They take the information and try to determine the issue. Because your bike is new generation, it has different parts which I don't have. It is also a little different than the previous generation so the problems/solutions aren't the same. I apologize for the inconvenience but at this point all we can do is wait for a reply from Specialized. I've tried multiple times to wire check and update your bike but there's something internal going on. I actually dropped your whole motor and battery, went thru all the cables trying to find a pinch or cut but to no avail. I appreciate your patience while we work thru this. Once Specialized gives us an answer, they'll send us a part(s) for me to replace. I understand that this is a big purchase and I understand your feelings about the timing. I apologize that your bike is having these technical issues and appreciate you working with us to get it resolved. Best - Zach"

I'm sick of this, I'm probably going to ask for my money back. Wow. No ETC, and they claim Specialized isn't responding to them.

Last edited:
Does anyone realize that Specialized never answers the phone??? 1 (877) 808-8154 I'm so close to filing a bank dispute.

"You could say that. However, we are currently waiting on Specialized for a reply. They take the information and try to determine the issue. Because your bike is new generation, it has different parts which I don't have. It is also a little different than the previous generation so the problems/solutions aren't the same. I apologize for the inconvenience but at this point all we can do is wait for a reply from Specialized. I've tried multiple times to wire check and update your bike but there's something internal going on. I actually dropped your whole motor and battery, went thru all the cables trying to find a pinch or cut but to no avail. I appreciate your patience while we work thru this. Once Specialized gives us an answer, they'll send us a part(s) for me to replace. I understand that this is a big purchase and I understand your feelings about the timing. I apologize that your bike is having these technical issues and appreciate you working with us to get it resolved. Best - Zach"

I'm sick of this, I'm probably going to ask for my money back. Wow. Not ETC, and they claim Specialized isn't responding to them.
Good luck.

Back