Turbo Vado 4.0 2022; Error 513, Full Power Loss

Get a refund and try with an expensive Bosch E-Bike. Riese & Muller Rohloff E-14 e-bike comes to one's mind first. Good luck.

Bea, let me encourage you. Specialized are known as the company that cares, and their warranty is one of the best in the market. As far as I know, the company has done a lot to get rid of bad dealers recently. They seem to have gone through the supply chain disruption successfully (that's why you can enjoy your brand new 2022 Vado while many other brands cannot deliver any new e-bikes). And Specialized owns their solutions, not being dependent on other parties such as Bosch.

What makes the situation a little complicated is 2022 Vado, Como, and Tero are based on the new Mastermind system with new motors, batteries and displays/controllers; the supply chain disruption, holiday season, and your remote location. Still, your issue will be resolved to your satisfaction by Specialized, be sure of that. I can say the same to Jamster, although everything depends on the quality of the LBS, too.

My own experience: I bought a NOS MY2017 Vado 5.0 in 2019. This (brand new at that time) e-bike came from the first production batch and had issues with the electronics. The LBS that sold that 45 km/h e-bike to me kept reassuring me with these words: "We are waiting until Specialized releases 2020 electronics upgrade sets. As these sets require type-approval, that will take some time. Rest assured, Specialized won't let you down; it is just a matter of time". So I was riding that crappy Vado for several months to get the upgrade in the Spring of 2020. Free of charge, warranty service. My Vado has become my best e-bike since, ridden for over two years and with well over 10,000 km on the odometer.

Patience!
We have a lot of snow and cold temperatures at the moment therefore I didn’t want to travel with the bike to the LBS but they have been very accommodating to me and reassured me that it’s not going to take long to fix the issue, as I said they have had two bikes last year with the same notification so they are confident with what needs to be done. I made sure I bought the bike where they only specialize in e-bikes. It’s just a bit of a pain for me as I need to take the ferry to Victoria to have it looked at. As for the bike itself, I love it I love the way it rides so smooth and the way the gear shifts … wow so smooth.. I also love the way it looks. Can’t wait for the spring weather …

We have a lot of snow and cold temperatures at the moment therefore I didn’t want to travel with the bike to the LBS but they have been very accommodating to me and reassured me that it’s not going to take long to fix the issue, as I said they have had two bikes last year with the same notification so they are confident with what needs to be done. I made sure I bought the bike where they only specialize in e-bikes. It’s just a bit of a pain for me as I need to take the ferry to Victoria to have it looked at. As for the bike itself, I love it I love the way it rides so smooth and the way the gear shifts … wow so smooth.. I also love the way it looks. Can’t wait for the spring weather …
Where do you live that you take the Victoria ferry for a bike shop? None in/around Vancouver? I do recall getting a quick repair at a bike shop up the hill from the waterfront and then off maybe a mile or so to the east - major arterial. It was a life-saver as we were on a four day ride from Whidbey, Port Angeles, Victoria, Sidney and Anacortes back to Whidbey.

I do hope Specialized and the shop get it all working in a timely fashion.

As a matter of fact, I just removed my MEC Ferratta tights after walking in the snow down here.

I said Jamster should get rid of his gorgeous Spec e-bike and try his luck with other brands :D
I wonder what happens when he discovers, say, oil leak in his dreamed of Rohloff E-14.
We have a user in this Forums who was infuriated with an expensive Trek e-bike. He converted to Spec later...

Where do you live that you take the Victoria ferry for a bike shop? None in/around Vancouver? I do recall getting a quick repair at a bike shop up the hill from the waterfront and then off maybe a mile or so to the east - major arterial. It was a life-saver as we were on a four day ride from Whidbey, Port Angeles, Victoria, Sidney and Anacortes back to Whidbey.

As a matter of fact, I just removed my MEC Ferratta tights after walking in the snow down

As a matter of fact, I just removed my MEC Ferratta tights after walking in the snow down here.
I live on Pender Island, the shop I purchased my bike is in Victoria, B.C. They are an awesome shop ..

Have to agree with Stefan Mike on this. My Specialized dealer has trained technicians on ebikes like my Tero.
Specialized is a giant retailer and yes these times of supply chain problems exacerbates issues like this. However I fully
trust my LBS to solve issues that may come up, And yes I am a Specialized bicycle proponent.

Have to agree with Stefan Mike on this. My Specialized dealer has trained technicians on ebikes like my Tero.
Specialized is a giant retailer and yes these times of supply chain problems exacerbates issues like this. However I fully
trust my LBS to solve issues that may come up, And yes I am a Specialized bicycle proponent.
Good for you! Hopefully Specialized improves their quality control!

So, Specialized replaced my bike, at no additional cost, under the warranty program. I now have a brand new Turbo Vado 4.0 2022, same model, same color.
Eventually, they always will. It is called Specialized Warranty :)

Attachments

• 1650267688444.png
    1650267688444.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 136
Bump... So jigglyjamster, how is the new replacement bike?
Any issues with the replacement?

And did you ever get insight into what the failure was and why it wont occur on a new replacement bike?
Perhaps some issue with the early production?

Bump... So jigglyjamster, how is the new replacement bike?
Any issues with the replacement?

And did you ever get insight into what the failure was and why it wont occur on a new replacement bike?
Perhaps some issue with the early production?

New bike has been nearly flawless, nothing like the old one! Motor is very reliable! I just got a dud bike last time, and Specialized replaced it. Specialized never told me what they found out after I returned the old bike. But, the story has a happy ending!!

I realize this is an old threat, but I have something to contribute.

I recently acquired a Turbo Levo Carbon Expert from the same dealer as the OP. Due to defects with the iOS MC application, I wasn’t able to create an account to connect the bike while at the shop. After I returned home I figured out a workaround for the MC bug, and finally connected the bike.

MC reported 513, in its way. I had zero issues with the bike and guessed it was probably a MC issue.

Deleted the app and reinstalled. Did a factory reset on the bike. Same error.

Went back to the shop and tried everything. Finally Michael connected my bike to his MC… no error. So I created a new MC account with a different email address and connected the bike… no error.

Lesson is: if you only see an error on MC, and not the bike, just ignore it. Clearly MC needs some work.

I realize this is an old threat, but I have something to contribute.

I recently acquired a Turbo Levo Carbon Expert from the same dealer as the OP. Due to defects with the iOS MC application, I wasn’t able to create an account to connect the bike while at the shop. After I returned home I figured out a workaround for the MC bug, and finally connected the bike.

MC reported 513, in its way. I had zero issues with the bike and guessed it was probably a MC issue.

Deleted the app and reinstalled. Did a factory reset on the bike. Same error.

Went back to the shop and tried everything. Finally Michael connected my bike to his MC… no error. So I created a new MC account with a different email address and connected the bike… no error.

Lesson is: if you only see an error on MC, and not the bike, just ignore it. Clearly MC needs some work.
I don’t know, I’d say give it some time before you dismiss it. The error didn’t come out of thin air. If you go a month or two with no issues, then perhaps it was a false positive.

Back