Dumb question: which way do I turn wrench to remove crank arm on 2022 Vado 5.0?

Nonlinear

Hi, I'm going to install PearTune on my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH. Does anyone know if I should turn the wrench counterclockwise or clockwise to remove the left-hand side crank arm? I've found conflicting information about this. Sorry for the dumb question!

Good question I have no expertise in removal of crank arms but I think it's counterclockwise to TIGHTEN port side and clockwise on the starboard side which is the drive side.
Where is @Stefan Mikes can you answer this man?
See my post above where I answered this. You’re right for pedal threading but not for SRAM self-extracting crank arms.

In the linked thread I provided the SRAM documentation, and I’ve removed my left side crank arm.

This thread is resolved then.
Show of where you ride your ebikes.
Here ya go. Callaway Gardens (GA) xmas light bike night ~3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 182474E5-220A-4FFF-A680-EE13F7DF6853.jpeg
    182474E5-220A-4FFF-A680-EE13F7DF6853.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 127
I will toss out my story one more time. I brought my Creo to the local bike shop for some work. Picked it up. Had a hell of a time getting into the SPD cleats. Had even more of a hell of a time getting out. I played with the tension screw and loosened it as much as possible. Still having real issues. I could not figure out what had happened. After the second ride with this issue I looked at another of my bikes with SPD. The damn pedals were on backwards. Speaking of left/right which way threading, I knew that should be impossible. Called the shop and there was some disbelief. Brought it in. "Hmmm, that is really odd and not really possible! Unless someone cross threaded the pedals" But it was possible and no one cross-threaded anything. The fact is the cranks on the Creo (what other models I don't know) can be reversed and when reversed the pedals are now backwards. So, yes, the cleats were facing the wrong way. My knee really did not like it.

Just another thing to be aware of.

Thank you! How is the Peartune working for you by the way?
I received Peartune V3 but was able to exchange for V4 as this is what I had asked for. It's very easy to fit, and plenty of room in the housing to tuck it away. The V4 allows various setting options via a sequence of button presses. It's working well and as I had hoped - the 15mph for UK was a bit limiting! The bike is easy to get up to a steady 20mph now and with a little extra effort to 25mph without the assistance cutting out. After a longish ride, once you come to a stop there is a lag in the speedo settling down to zero as if playing catchup - if that makes sense. I just use the bike for getting from A-B.

I received Peartune V3 but was able to exchange for V4 as this is what I had asked for. It's very easy to fit, and plenty of room in the housing to tuck it away. The V4 allows various setting options via a sequence of button presses. It's working well and as I had hoped - the 15mph for UK was a bit limiting! The bike is easy to get up to a steady 20mph now and with a little extra effort to 25mph without the assistance cutting out. After a longish ride, once you come to a stop there is a lag in the speedo settling down to zero as if playing catchup - if that makes sense. I just use the bike for getting from A-B.
Hi, I've now installed the peartune, but cannot figure out how to activate it! Could you tell me what buttons you press to do this? Thanks!

Press the "Walk" button for 1 second. You should note the TCD will temporarily display "speed" 5.6 to indicate it is enabled, if the display reads 0.0 then it is not enabled. I set mine as enabled by default when turning on the TCD. If you need to change any of the defaults, the correct sequence of button pressing is vital and not as intuitive as the instructions suggest, let me know if you need any help with that!

PT1.jpgPT2.jpg

Press the "Walk" button for 1 second. You should note the TCD will temporarily display "speed" 5.6 to indicate it is enabled, if the display reads 0.0 then it is not enabled. I set mine as enabled by default when turning on the TCD. If you need to change any of the defaults, the correct sequence of button pressing is vital and not as intuitive as the instructions suggest, let me know if you need any help with that!

View attachment 144272View attachment 144273
Thanks for your quick reply! I did press the walk button for 1 second, and it just kept saying 0. But after playing around with it for about 30 minutes, and watching their YouTube video, I found out that I can press F1 (the top button that controls the light), and then I can press +-+-+-+-+- (10 times). Then the TCD displays a 10, which I assume is the maximum speed setting, and I was able to change the number there to 45 kmh. At least, I think I changed it, I wasn't able to actually test ride it as we have a storm here right now.

I did email Katerina from the company to confirm if I'm doing this correctly. I'll post back here to share what I learn from her.

Not a dumb question at all, left handed threads are used for obvious reasons and it saves a lot of aggravation and potential damage to find out first,

So I rode the bike into work today. I still couldn't figure out how to enable/disable the PearTune, but I did press the light button, and then +/- 10 times, and confirmed that my maximum speed was set to 45 kmh. As soon as I got onto a section with a longish stretch (no stops or turns), I could immediately tell that the PearTune was working. WOW, what a difference this makes! Normally, I would hit 32 kmh (the legal maximum speed in Canada) and I could feel the motor cut out, and turn on/off intermittently which was annoying. But now, I can continue cycling with assist and I reached speeds of about 44 kmh on flat sections.

I live in Vancouver and have massive hills that I cycle up and down every day. When going down hills I used to easily be able to hit 50 kmh (without the PearTune), but the ride would begin to feel a bit unstable around 40-45 kmh or so. But I think this is because I wasn't pedaling fully, and applying brakes etc. When I got up to 44 kmh today, pedaling on the flats, the bike felt completely stable.

This is a game changer for sure. I still find the PearTune control difficult to deal with, but I'm hoping once it will become easier once I hear back from Katerina (to confirm how things work) and once I get used to using it.

View attachment 144272View attachment 144273
Hi, thanks again for your advice. I commuted into work this morning, and just wanted to follow up.

So when I first started up my bike this morning, I couldn't get the walk button to do anything except to change the assist level, and start the bike in walk mode. So, I pressed the light button, then +/- 10 times, and confirmed that the max speed was set to 45 kmh. I wasn't sure if the PearTune was enabled or disabled, so I just started my commute. Once I hit the first straight section, I could tell immediately that the chip was enabled. I could attain speeds above 32 kmh with ease, and my motor would no longer cut out at 32 kmh (and give that annoying on/off feeling above 32 kmh). It was a glorious ride.

When I got into the office, I played around with the walk button a bit. Now, I can sometimes get it to display a 9 when I press it for one second. It doesn't happen every time. I'm not sure if it's because it's cycling from on to off, which would show a 0 (and I might interpret it as not working). The bike starts into walk mode whenever I get it to show a 9, which is kind of annoying.
I think it's going to take me a bit of time to grow accustomed to how the PearTune control works. But at least it's installed, and seems to be working correctly so far.

Thank you again for your help, I would have no idea how to do this without your advice! It would be very useful to have some written instructions for how to control the PearTune on the 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0. I will try to write those up once I figure this thing out. :)

Back