My 2022 Turbo Vado 4 Review.

I go up a big hill by my house all the time at the equivalent rear wheel torque of the Vado 4 in turbo (on my Tero X, accounting for assist level and gearing) and it's fine. The main difference would be that my own pedal input is easier because I would be in a lower gear.

If you want speed on the flat, that would be more about watts, and it's harder to find the numbers for the actual max power of all of their various motors (which all say "250 nominal")
Thanks Ben- Do you go up the big hill by your house carrying cargo? Like a lot of groceries?

If you want speed on the flat, that would be more about watts, and it's harder to find the numbers for the actual max power of all of their various motors (which all say "250 nominal")
Vado 5.0: 560 W peak power (mechanical), Boost factor 4.1x
Vado 4.0: 470 W peak power (mechanical), Boost factor 3.2x
Vado 3.0: 430 W peak power (mechanical), Boost factor 2.8x

I would say @bikeroc could replace the 48T chainring in either of the two Vados with a 38T (and shorten the chain) if climbing under the load were the issue.

My unusual 1.2s motor of Vado 6.0 has the mechanical peak power of 520 W and the Boost factor 3.2x. I could climb a pretty long 19% ascent with a heavy pannier when the chainring was 38T.

Given the recent Specialized sales @bikeroc I would consider getting a 5.0. And never look back :)

Last edited:
I am torn between the 4.0 and 5.0 as well. I am hoping to do grocery shopping with the bike and do have to ride home uphill with loaded rear rack and panniers, so I am wondering if the additional torque would be helpful. Have you had a chance to haul a load with your 4.0? Did you have enough ooomph?
Additional torque is always helpful with a load, especially when going uphill. I find the 4.0 is plenty for me, but I don't carry a load. You'd get about 28% more torque with the 5.0 vs the 4.0, which is not insignificant. 90 nm vs 70 nm.

5.0 is about $1k off right now, so I recommend that for you.

I got one!

Cool, you probably got the Vado 5.0 IGH version. I've heard of some people having issues with the IGH system, and others have no problem. The reviews seem great on the Specialized site, so there's that. Either way, I'm sure Specialized with take care of you. Worst case, you can downgrade to a Vado 4.0 w/ chain. But don't worry, try out the bike. You can return it if it's problematic. You have warranty support, and can get service at your local bike shop.

Cool, you probably got the Vado 5.0 IGH version. I've heard of some people having issues with the IGH system, and others have no problem. The reviews seem great on the Specialized site, so there's that. Either way, I'm sure Specialized with take care of you. Worst case, you can downgrade to a Vado 4.0 w/ chain. But don't worry, try out the bike. You can return it if it's problematic. You have warranty support, and can get service at your local bike shop.
No, I got the chain 5.0

Back