Instructions for PearTune 4.0 MSO on 2022 Turbo Vado

Nonlinear

I've recently installed the PearTune MSO Tuning e-bike Specialized 2.0E/2.1/2.2 (https://www.pear-control.com/peartune-mso-tuning-elektrokola-specialized-2-1-2-2) on my 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH, and wanted to share some information about my experience that I hope will help others who install this on this bike in the future. Some of this information has already been posted in other threads, but some is new, and I wanted to put everything in a common thread in hopes it will be easier to find. :)

First of all, I want to say that the PearTune is FANTASTIC, and I recommend it to anyone who is looking to derestrict their Specialized bike. Here in Canada, we are limited to 32 kmh, which is very disappointing considering the Specialized 2.2 is designed to deliver assistance up to 45 kmh (28 mph) in the US. It was a bad feeling to reach 32 kmh, only to have the motor cut out and provide that annoying on/off assistance feeling through the pedals. So I set my maximum assist speed to 45 kmh, to match the limit in the US. My rides are much more enjoyable now, even though I only only sometimes ride at speeds of 45 kmh (usually on a flat stretch or downhill).

The first thing I was to clarify is that when removing the crank arm, you need to turn your wrench counterclockwise. I know this may seem like common knowledge, but there is conflicting information about this (I think some related Specialized models require turning clockwise to remove crank arm). There is more information about this here: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ch-to-remove-crank-arm-on-2022-vado-5-0.51471. For the rest of the installation, there is a helpful video from PearTune that is very similar to the installation procedure for the 2022 Turbo Vado:

The second thing I want to share is instructions for operating the PearTune once it is installed. The instructions from PearTune were extremely vague. There was no information about how to enable/disable the PearTune for the 2022 Turbo Vado, and the video from PearTune showing how to access the service menu (
) does not work on this bike.

To enable/disable the PearTune, you simply long press the + (walk) button while riding. The text on the display will momentarily change from a yellow “turbo” to a blue “walk”, and then the TCU will display a 9, indicating that the PearTune is activated. Another long press of the + button will again change the yellow “turbo” to a blue “walk”, and then the TCU will display a 4, indicating that the PearTune is deactivated.

To enter the service menu of the PearTune chip, press the LIGHT button (this may require a long press, and perhaps then waiting 5 seconds before the next step), and then press the + and - buttons in an alternating fashion, for some number of times depending on the menu option you are trying to access (see the service menu instructions at https://electricbikereview.com/foru...crank-arm-on-2022-vado-5-0.51471/post-581166; PearTune can also provide a clearer PDF version of this). For example, to enter the Max Speed menu, press LIGHT then the +-+-+-+-+- buttons (10 button presses).

That's it for now. I hope this helps clarify some things for anyone who installs this chip on a 2022 Specialized in the future!

So you have the 2.2 Brose motor. Mission Control App. Now that you have had for a few months have you had any issues? Can you update OTA firmware? You have to enable it while riding not before you start your ride? Is riding required to enable? When you finish your ride is there any special power off or power on procedure? Wait for countdown or anything like that?

So you have the 2.2 Brose motor. Mission Control App. Now that you have had for a few months have you had any issues? Can you update OTA the firmware? You have to enable it while riding not before you start your ride? When you finish your ride is there any special power off procedure? Wait for countdown or anything like that?
I've had it installed for a few months with no issues. The only real challenge I had was understanding how to work it, since the instructions were not clear (since some specifics must necessarily change given the wide variation in controls on different ebike models). Once I figured out how to work it, it worked great, and I haven't had any problems. I've set the PearTune to be automatically active when the bike starts, but I can also manually turn it off and on. When the ride is over, there is a countdown, but I've never had a problem waiting for this (since I am always storing my bike in locked places indoors). By the time I dismount, store the bike, and am ready to lock it, the countdown is over. However, I did ask Katerina about what happens if I turn the bike off before the countdown is over, and she said it's OK, it will resume once you restart the bike.
I am very, very happy with the PearTune and recommend it to anyone looking to derestrict their Brose 2.2 (at least, for the 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0, I can't speak for the experience on other bikes).

So does the countdown vary by how far you rode? 10 seconds or 1 min countdown? No issues with Mission Control app? Have you had to update the firmware and what did PearlTune say about that? Thanks for your experience.

So does the countdown vary by how far you rode? 10 seconds or 1 min countdown? No issues with Mission Control app? Have you had to update the firmware and what did PearlTune say about that? Thanks for your experience.
Not that I've noticed. It's always a countdown from 20 to 10. But I only use this bike for commuting (~25 minute ride). I don't use this one for longer rides, so I'm unsure if longer rides would have a longer countdown. I would email PearTune and ask if you are curious.

I can't speak for the experience on other bikes).
I have a PearTune MSO 3.0 on a Vado SL. Works as intended, and no countdown.
However, that chip has glitches:
  • Competing with the TCU and producing "Motor Error" many times on a ride (no other side effects)
  • Sending absurdly high Max Speed to Strava via Wahoo (PearTune cheats the Wahoo very well but Strava can see something is strange there)
  • As above, pertaining to Max Rider's Power.
These errors do not occur when the derestrictor is off.

I wrote to Katerina and she chose not to answer. Good the PearTune MSO 4.0 is trouble-free!

I have the PearTune 3.0 on my Creo as in UK and Europe, we are restricted to 25kph or 15.5mph !!! I have the version that turns on with the Walk switch, so needed a remote to operate. I have since swapped to the Di2 hack, and made a walk button out of a bar end, so I still have that function. The 3.0 works well, but does not play nice with Range Extender battery and causes this the switch off when in use. Creo battery alone and this works fine. The 3.0 doe also sent the occasion error message to my Garmin 1030, but easy cleared with a quick swipe.

Not that I've noticed. It's always a countdown from 20 to 10. But I only use this bike for commuting (~25 minute ride). I don't use this one for longer rides, so I'm unsure if longer rides would have a longer countdown. I would email PearTune and ask if you are curious.
Have you tried setting a speed limit and does it work?

I've recently installed the PearTune MSO Tuning e-bike Specialized 2.0E/2.1/2.2 (https://www.pear-control.com/peartune-mso-tuning-elektrokola-specialized-2-1-2-2) on my 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH, and wanted to share some information about my experience that I hope will help others who install this on this bike in the future. Some of this information has already been posted in other threads, but some is new, and I wanted to put everything in a common thread in hopes it will be easier to find. :)

First of all, I want to say that the PearTune is FANTASTIC, and I recommend it to anyone who is looking to derestrict their Specialized bike. Here in Canada, we are limited to 32 kmh, which is very disappointing considering the Specialized 2.2 is designed to deliver assistance up to 45 kmh (28 mph) in the US. It was a bad feeling to reach 32 kmh, only to have the motor cut out and provide that annoying on/off assistance feeling through the pedals. So I set my maximum assist speed to 45 kmh, to match the limit in the US. My rides are much more enjoyable now, even though I only only sometimes ride at speeds of 45 kmh (usually on a flat stretch or downhill).

The first thing I was to clarify is that when removing the crank arm, you need to turn your wrench counterclockwise. I know this may seem like common knowledge, but there is conflicting information about this (I think some related Specialized models require turning clockwise to remove crank arm). There is more information about this here: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ch-to-remove-crank-arm-on-2022-vado-5-0.51471. For the rest of the installation, there is a helpful video from PearTune that is very similar to the installation procedure for the 2022 Turbo Vado:

The second thing I want to share is instructions for operating the PearTune once it is installed. The instructions from PearTune were extremely vague. There was no information about how to enable/disable the PearTune for the 2022 Turbo Vado, and the video from PearTune showing how to access the service menu (
) does not work on this bike.

To enable/disable the PearTune, you simply long press the + (walk) button while riding. The text on the display will momentarily change from a yellow “turbo” to a blue “walk”, and then the TCU will display a 9, indicating that the PearTune is activated. Another long press of the + button will again change the yellow “turbo” to a blue “walk”, and then the TCU will display a 4, indicating that the PearTune is deactivated.

To enter the service menu of the PearTune chip, press the LIGHT button (this may require a long press, and perhaps then waiting 5 seconds before the next step), and then press the + and - buttons in an alternating fashion, for some number of times depending on the menu option you are trying to access (see the service menu instructions at https://electricbikereview.com/foru...crank-arm-on-2022-vado-5-0.51471/post-581166; PearTune can also provide a clearer PDF version of this). For example, to enter the Max Speed menu, press LIGHT then the +-+-+-+-+- buttons (10 button presses).

That's it for now. I hope this helps clarify some things for anyone who installs this chip on a 2022 Specialized in the future!
I also purchased the MSO 4.0 for my Vado 3.0 IGH. I can access all the menus with no problem but can’t activate the chip. All the settings seem to be correct and when long pressing + I get the Walk mode flash and 9km/h.

Which settings are you using for starting the chip and lock mode?

Yes, I gathered that from Nonlinears post. But even still, not getting assistance after 25km/h.

On the Peartune 3.0, there is a manual over ride made up of combination of button pushes. I can't remember the sequence off hand but did find it online. It was something like 3 up and 3 down in quick succession. I was helping the chap that came up with the Di2 hack and he did not have the walk button, so asked my to test the button pushes for him as he know I did have walk. Does the 4.0 have the same manual override you could try?

I've had it installed for a few months with no issues. The only real challenge I had was understanding how to work it, since the instructions were not clear (since some specifics must necessarily change given the wide variation in controls on different ebike models). Once I figured out how to work it, it worked great, and I haven't had any problems. I've set the PearTune to be automatically active when the bike starts, but I can also manually turn it off and on. When the ride is over, there is a countdown, but I've never had a problem waiting for this (since I am always storing my bike in locked places indoors). By the time I dismount, store the bike, and am ready to lock it, the countdown is over. However, I did ask Katerina about what happens if I turn the bike off before the countdown is over, and she said it's OK, it will resume once you restart the bike.
I am very, very happy with the PearTune and recommend it to anyone looking to derestrict their Brose 2.2 (at least, for the 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0, I can't speak for the experience on other bikes).
So now that you have been using it for a while - what top speeds do you achieve?

So now that you have been using it for a while - what top speeds do you achieve?
I've got maximum assist set at 45 kmh, but I rarely achieve that unless I'm pedalling like crazy and going downhill. I'd say on flats, I average about 38 kmh at the top end. I think it's the gearing of the Enviolonthat limits my top speed. I haven't however recalibrated the enviolo since I installed the chip - been meaning to do that, but I don't have a stand.

I've got maximum assist set at 45 kmh, but I rarely achieve that unless I'm pedalling like crazy and going downhill. I'd say on flats, I average about 38 kmh at the top end. I think it's the gearing of the Enviolonthat limits my top speed. I haven't however recalibrated the enviolo since I installed the chip - been meaning to do that, but I don't have a stand.
Some of us have found that some batches of bikes have a larger rear cog (24-tooth instead of 22t) - which means a top assisted speed less that 45kmh. I have just swapped the cog out so it will be interesting to see the results. see this thread https://electricbikereview.com/foru...0-igh-cadence-survey.50608/page-3#post-602451

Hi Nonlinear & others with knowledge of Peartune MSO 4.0 on a Turbo Vado 5.0!
Specialized is quite active in updating its firmware. Recently the motor fw went to 8.5.0 and display fw to 29.E.0. I don't have Peartune yet and before buying I would like to know if it works with the newest firmware. Does anybody know? And secondly is updating the firmware possible with the Pear tune unit in place? Or do you first have to remove it, reconnect the motor-wires to their original state and then update the bike firmware?

I have the PearTune MSO 3.0 on my Vado SL. The dongle is transparent to the e-bike so you can do firmware updates without removing the unit. Will you do firmware updates OTA or at the dealer?

My experience with the version of PearTune I own is it was originally working very well. Now, it generates too many Motor Error messages to my liking. Taken into account the Vado SL is rather a slow e-bike, I am more and more inclined to keep the 25 km/h limit on my Vado SL and only activate the PearTune in real need.

Your situation is you own a potentially fast e-bike and would certainly like it derestricted. Only installing the PearTune could be difficult to us less technically inclined :) Have you looked to Velociraptor perhaps?

Hi Stefan, thx for replying! The Velociraptor looks like a nice device but unfortunately it's only for TCU, not TCD (display on the stem). Specialized is promising updates over the air, but untill now with my Vado I have to go to the retailer.

Back