2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Well just ordered a Homage, HS, Rohloff, dual battery for my wife. She started biking when I got my Superdelite a couple months ago, and gave her my previous e-bike. We weren't sure if she would like it or not, so we didn't want to invest in a bike for her until we knew she likes it. But she could use a bike that properly fits her. Also my old bike was a Bosch Active Line Plus motor, so the 19 MPH speed limit was annoying when I like to cruse in the mid 20s on my Superdelite.

Get some bluetooth comms too and you will be set.
Sorry, my experience with blutooth comms has been awful. Dropouts, battery issues, talk-to-send has lag that drops the first part of any sentence... I use wired comms and love it. Clean, does what I need it to do and stays out of the way.

If you really want comma why not just call the other person. Most cell plans are back to unlimited minutes.
I don’t need to talk to my wife during bike rides. We live together so we talk plenty.

Cycle/motor bike comms are actually pretty good these days. We have a set of Sena comms and get about 500m good range. there is a slight delay but you only notice this when the person speaking is right beside you. Over to you of course, but this is still my recommendation.

Replacement rear shock has now been dispatched from Germany.🙂
Back in action. The replacement rear shock is fitted. The ill fitting Kiox controller that caused its battery not to charge properly has been fixed.

After a 82km ride last Sunday, the 'comfort' saddle is proving not to be the nirvana that I was seeking (unrealistically?). At 175cm tall on a 49cm frame, the comfort package is providing a very upright riding style reminiscent of a Dutch Galaxy bike that I used to own. The angle of the stem seems suitable for me and I have done a lot of tweaking of the height and angle of the saddle to get the best possible fit. While my arthritic wrist and neck are grateful for the upright setup, the pressure from the seat is not so welcome.

My question today - Should I consider a Brooks B17 saddle which is recommended for a 60° body angle rather than an upright position? Does anyone have any experience of a B17 with an upright style of riding.

IMG_20210628_110055_545.jpg

Screenshot_20210630-123549_eBike Connect.jpg

Brooks saddles are renowned for being rather uncomfortable for the first 500-100km until the leather is "broken in" and as good as it gets once they are. It would be great if saddles worked perfectly from the get-go. I've only had that happen with a Selle Anatomica, which is also leather. It did not need to break in, but it did need to stabilize. they are designed to stretch and sag initially, and to be progressively tensed up until they stabilize. When the gap in the split remains about 6 mm, it's stabilized. If it is comfortable for an all-day ride, especially when ridden with a properly padded set of shorts.

This is a 2019 Homage Rohloff HS that I owned with the S A saddle.

20190721_110132.jpg

Brooks saddles are renowned for being rather uncomfortable for the first 500-100km until the leather is "broken in" and as good as it gets once they are. It would be great if saddles worked perfectly from the get-go. I've only had that happen with a Selle Anatomica, which is also leather. It did not need to break in, but it did need to stabilize. they are designed to stretch and sag initially, and to be progressively tensed up until they stabilize. When the gap in the split remains about 6 mm, it's stabilized. If it is comfortable for an all-day ride, especially when ridden with a properly padded set of shorts.

This is a 2019 Homage Rohloff HS that I owned with the S A saddle.

View attachment 91818
Hi, I’m curious why you also installed the Kinekt 2.1 on the Homage? Was the rear suspension not enough travel? Don’t these work against eachother a little bit? Thanks.

Hi, I’m curious why you also installed the Kinekt 2.1 on the Homage? Was the rear suspension not enough travel? Don’t these work against eachother a little bit? Thanks.
Actually they compliment one another. The rear shock smooths out the larger flaws encountered in the bikes path, potholes, sticks, heaves and bumps. The Kinekt is much quicker acting and works well to reduce the higher frequency, small impacts to the bike as it goes over gravel, twigs, and smaller imperfections in the road surface. The Kinekt offers a further refinement in the ride. I already had it on my prior bike which was a hard tail. I am not sure I would have sprung for it just for the Homage, but it did make a subtle but noticeable difference in a positive way.

Actually they compliment one another. The rear shock smooths out the larger flaws encountered in the bikes path, potholes, sticks, heaves and bumps. The Kinekt is much quicker acting and works well to reduce the higher frequency, small impacts to the bike as it goes over gravel, twigs, and smaller imperfections in the road surface. The Kinekt offers a further refinement in the ride. I already had it on my prior bike which was a hard tail. I am not sure I would have sprung for it just for the Homage, but it did make a subtle but noticeable difference in a positive way.
That’s very interesting - thanks for sharing!

Back in action. The replacement rear shock is fitted. The ill fitting Kiox controller that caused its battery not to charge properly has been fixed.

After a 82km ride last Sunday, the 'comfort' saddle is proving not to be the nirvana that I was seeking (unrealistically?). At 175cm tall on a 49cm frame, the comfort package is providing a very upright riding style reminiscent of a Dutch Galaxy bike that I used to own. The angle of the stem seems suitable for me and I have done a lot of tweaking of the height and angle of the saddle to get the best possible fit. While my arthritic wrist and neck are grateful for the upright setup, the pressure from the seat is not so welcome.

My question today - Should I consider a Brooks B17 saddle which is recommended for a 60° body angle rather than an upright position? Does anyone have any experience of a B17 with an upright style of riding.

View attachment 91787

View attachment 91788
I’ve used several Brooks models on a similar bike (Nevo), upright position, using only a Thudbuster. No problems, no issues with daily riding of 70-200 miles.

I used Brooks saddles long before ebikes as well. What I’ve noticed is either ppl love them or hate them. Your wife will know within two weeks if Brooks and her butt will get along. That’s what it comes down to. im not sure if they still offer the woman-specific B17, so check on that. It’s a bit wider.

I’ve used several Brooks models on a similar bike (Nevo), upright position, using only a Thudbuster. No problems, no issues with daily riding of 70-200 miles.

I used Brooks saddles long before ebikes as well. What I’ve noticed is either ppl love them or hate them. Your wife will know within two weeks if Brooks and her butt will get along. That’s what it comes down to. im not sure if they still offer the woman-specific B17, so check on that. It’s a bit wider.
Brooks also make a "softened" version of the B-17 that is pre-broken in and much more comfortable right off the bat. They are hard to find though

While the saddle / bike are for me not a wife, the Homage with comfort bars / saddle is significantly more upright than my previous Nevo.

Brooks promote the B67 for an upright style of riding but those springs do not seem appropriate for the style of bike.

They still make it, but if I recall it's not wider, just has a shorter nose.

And yet the comment I was replying to was referring to the women's B17. Thanks for the gigantic images tho.
Lol.

Both the B17 for women and the no longer available Finesse are marketed as shorter/wider at 177mm and 176mm, respectively. Of course, there are so many variations on the B17 we could both be right. The Finesse was described as “based on the B17 Competition.” I own one in green/titanium rails. Its real distinction is that it’s under a pound.

Back