2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
My understanding is that R&M are aware of the problem and are now waiting for a new shipment of rear shocks which, hopefully, will arrive later this month.

In my case I expect a three-month 'unusable' period from when the problem presented itself – essentially immediately on receipt of my Homage, although it took me a while (ten rides!) to figure out what was wrong.
In the present climate of shortages, "later this month" sounds promising.

I asked my local R&M dealer* whether we could change a disaster into a fortunate opportunity by swapping over to Fox. No luck: shocks that are the right size are unobtainable, which is to be expected when one lives in 'interesting times'.

* There aren't too many of us who can regard an R&M dealer as a local bike shop! For me, it's forty minutes by car or a five-minute diversion from any Brisbane ride.
As a local resident also, that means at least two of the recently delivered Homages to the Brisbane shop have faulty rear shocks!

They've changed the front fork to the Marzocchi Bomber Z2.
That’s getting a lot closer to the Fox.
homage-suspension-2021-06-07.jpg

Just noticed, they've changed the front fork to the Marzocchi Bomber Z2.

My guess is that R&M are having issues getting enough of the Suntour forks due to global supply chain issues related to the pandemic, as well as the dramatic increase in demand for all flavors of bicycles in the last year-plus.

David Berry, on the United States version of the R&M website they are only listing the Marzocchi Bomber Z2 fork.

It is not that I NEED a better suspension, but I would sure LIKE to have as plush of a ride as possible.

(Photo attached for added interest)
Columbus Skyline.jpg

Actually the Suntour Aion is the front air fork used by R&M and the rear shock is(or at least was) an air shock made by X-fusion. I have both, recently serviced and available at reasonable cost if anyone needs a spare. They were OEM stock and came off a 2019 Homage.

Actually the Suntour Aion is the front air fork used by R&M and the rear shock is(or at least was) an air shock made by X-fusion. I have both, recently serviced and available at reasonable cost if anyone needs a spare. They were OEM stock and came off a 2019 Homage.
They changed this in 2021 - Our Homages have been showing up with SR Suntour shocks (whooo!)

Have not seen a Marzocchi yet, but yes, I can verify that the switch is due to a lack of inventory on Suntour's part. Most of there supply seems to be out of stock in general.

They changed this in 2021 - Our Homages have been showing up with SR Suntour shocks (whooo!)

Have not seen a Marzocchi yet, but yes, I can verify that the switch is due to a lack of inventory on Suntour's part. Most of there supply seems to be out of stock in general.
My Homage built 1-5 February for Australia has Suntour Aion.

Well I have not posted in a while as I have had a lot of issues with my order of two Homage bikes back in January. Dealer has had many issues. The bikes were built and were to be air shipped. they sent one air and one via boat. The air shipped bike was lost for two weeks after it reached the states. They finally fund it at another bike shop in a different state. Took another week to get it in. I went to pick up the bike on Sunday and is was a single battery not the two battery I ordered and paid for. After they did some research they concluded they ordered the wrong bike. Still have no idea where the other bike is. They are going to reorder the two battery bike but that will push the delivery off for some time. Looks like we may not have them until end of summer. Does not seem to be an issue with R and M but the dealer. Anyway I guess I will have to continue to live through you all with bikes.

Well I have not posted in a while as I have had a lot of issues with my order of two Homage bikes back in January. Dealer has had many issues. The bikes were built and were to be air shipped. they sent one air and one via boat. The air shipped bike was lost for two weeks after it reached the states. They finally fund it at another bike shop in a different state. Took another week to get it in. I went to pick up the bike on Sunday and is was a single battery not the two battery I ordered and paid for. After they did some research they concluded they ordered the wrong bike. Still have no idea where the other bike is. They are going to reorder the two battery bike but that will push the delivery off for some time. Looks like we may not have them until end of summer. Does not seem to be an issue with R and M but the dealer. Anyway I guess I will have to continue to live through you all with bikes.
I’m sorry, this sounds awful. Do you have any idea how the bike intended for your shop landed up in another state?

Yup, my Homage came with an SR Suntour rear shock.

I’m sorry, this sounds awful. Do you have any idea how the bike intended for your shop landed up in another state?
They said it was the shipping company used from the airport. not sure I have the full story. The bike shop is trying to work something out. the brought in a older model they had as a test ride bike as a loner for my wife. They are talking about letting me use the single battery until the correct bike is made and comes in. I am not sure I want the liability of a bike that I do not intend to keep long term. If I take the loaner I want a waver that I am not responsible for it.

Well, my experience has been pretty good. I ordered from Orbit Bikes in Columbus Ohio on April 21st a dual batter homage. Similar to @BMWzenRider's bike. I paid for air freight. I pick it up tomorrow. Once I pick it up, I am headed to Pittsburgh PA to ride the GAP and C&O trails to Washington DC for its maiden voyage. 350 Miles. It arrived just in time! Wish me luck.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a particular glue, for gluing in the Panarace Kevlar liners, they sound like a good idea? I have a new Homage Rohloff and have had a puncture.
Russ, I regard Panaracer Flataway liners as essential in my Homages' tyres. Regrettably, their self-adhesive side needs a bit of encouragement. I use a dab of contact adhesive to anchor the end. When that's dried – not long – a thin smear is enough for the remainder.

To ensure that the job is done properly, I use a lightly-inflated tube to keep the liner in place for a few hours before placing the tyre onto the rim.
The new Johnny Watts tyres ride well on the local trails here in Lancashire.
My 2021 Homage Touring (derailleur) is shod with 65–584 Johnny Watts + Panaracer Flataway + Tannus Armour.

Extremely difficult to put on!

Pressure : 200 kPa (2 bars)

I have wondered about the 57-584 Marathon Plus MTB, but feared they may spoil the ride with much less air inside them, even before fitting Tannus Armour.
At present I am riding 57–584 Marathon Plus MTBs on my 2019 Homage Rohloff. In addition to the Panaracer Flataway liners, I have inserted Tannus Armours.

Again, close to impossible to fit!

Pressure : 300 kPa (3 bars)

——————————
To make life easier: I always fit tyres so that the recommended pressure range appears next to the valve (right side).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very new to this, so apologies in advance if I do the wrong thing.

Thanks to David for his comments, very much appreciated, especially the adhesive and level of difficulty fitting. I'm going invest in the Panaracer and Tannus upgrades with the existing Johnny Watts I think. I do like the fatter tyres on the Homage, compared to my older e-bike. Has anyone tried 2.60 Johnny Watts, will they fit, there looks to be a little wiggle room for an extra 2.5mm either side of the frame etc? Just noticed (thanks David), David says he has the 65-584 fitted, very interesting! Don't think the 2.80 Super-moto-x would go on, anybody tried those?

Last edited:
Back