2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I have a 500wh power tube. Can I carry that along in a pannier and replace one of the 625wh batteries in the Homage if I run low on power?
Unfortunately no, unless they have come up with a spacer of some sort. The 500 watt power tube is 70mm shorter than the 625 watt version, so the locking plate at the top would have to be moved lower in order to securely hold the shorter battery.

Unfortunately no, unless they have come up with a spacer of some sort. The 500 watt power tube is 70mm shorter than the 625 watt version, so the locking plate at the top would have to be moved lower in order to securely hold the shorter battery.
Thank you.

"Easily sustained cruising speed" is going to be much different for different riders.

With my history of leg injuries, I probably need more help than others.
In particular, my knees cannot handle a lot of pressure, so low input torque is the limiting factor for my riding.

And since aerodynamic drag increases at the square of velocity (F=mv^2) I need more help to maintain speed as the velocity increases.
I understand completely about varying levels of effort we are each and all of us capable of. That can vary and change with flare-ups of this condition or that as we age.

At 70 I am dealing with some significant health challenges, including widow-maker Mi in 2017 that should have killed be but got me started riding an ebike. Then over the past year, chemo, radiation and major surgery to remove a malignant sarcoma discovered under my left quad, pressing against the femur, with over 4 months using a walker, then crutches then cane with PT and rehab.

My ability to ride has been all over the map this past year. I am still on chemo which has me slightly anemic, but able to ride pretty regularly. I often start out lethargic, not sure of my staying power. Then after five miles or so, my blood gets up, the endorphins kick in, I get the wind in my face and I find energy I didn't know I had. Rides typically end feeling stronger and more alive than when they began. I can't begin to express how important being able to ride through all of this has been to me.

The Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3 I bought back in December was a personal reward to self for rehabbing my left leg. The bike has been a real revelation as it is so much lighter, only 39 lbs. with a Bosch speed motor and a 500 watt power tube. Designed as a gravel bike, it has flared, shallow, drop handlebars and a modified aero position that I can be comfortable in for miles and is far more aero than on my Trek Allant or Delite Mountain with their flat bars, fenders, thicker frames, etc..

I am going about 12% faster and further in Eco on this bike than I can in Tour with the same amount of effort on the Trek and more like EMTB on the Delite. Last week I did a 40 mile ride and was apprehensive I could do it in Eco or Tour so I did it all in Sport, averaging around 17mph, mostly flat rural roads. I finished the ride with 32% of the battery remaining. I would get no more than 32 miles in EMTB on the Delite.

So yes your are right about aerodynamic drag being a huge factor in battery use. I also think that we ebikers tend to overlook the cost in range that our heavier ebike impose as well. Yes the motor can take up the slack when we keep adding heavy gear to our bikes but it does cost more in battery range.

Bosch does make an adapter specifically for this. BTRYPT EBK 500-625W SPCR Part No W582323. Don't know how widely available it is. You might try a Trek dealer if your R&M dealer can't help.
That is great news. I am not sure how often I would need that, but when I do a century ride (on my bucket list), it may come in handy.

That is great news. I am not sure how often I would need that, but when I do a century ride (on my bucket list), it may come in handy.
My mistake. It's not a Bosch, but rather a Trek product/part number -- marketed as "Trek Allant+/Diamant Zouma+ Battery Spacer". Sorry for any confusion.

My mistake. It's not a Bosch, but rather a Trek product/part number -- marketed as "Trek Allant+/Diamant Zouma+ Battery Spacer". Sorry for any confusion.
Hopefully it will fit into a Riese Muller just fine.

Hopefully it will fit into a Riese Muller just fine.

Looking at the spacer online, it appears to require semi-permanent mounting onto the 500Wh powertube to work (if it will fit at all) which may not be ideal if you also wish to still be able to use it as a spare for your other bike.

Please do not take my word as gospel, but the profile of the extrusion shown on the Trek website looks different than the profile of the R&M battery pack as I remember them.
If you choose to order one, be sure to ask what their return policy is in case it does not work.

I ordered a dual battery Homage on April 21st. It had a build date in the 2nd week of July with a 2 week air delivery. So I was expecting it by the end of July. Well, good news, it was built early and has been shipped. I am expecting it in the next week or two. Which is incredible timing because I am riding the GAP/C&O trail starting on June 12th. Hope there isn't a delay in shipment! 🤞

20210530_133346.jpg

After ordering my dual battery Rohloff Homage (Kiox, comfort pack, dropper post, front rack) in early September, I eventually received it on 18 May and it has completed 320km. It replaces the 2019 Nevo Vario and will be used as my everyday bike around the city and for day rides and bike touring. (Having discovered that the weight and Super Moto-X tyres of the Nevo were not compatible with loose gravel on steep terrain, I have a Focus Thron2 6.8 EMTB for more serious off-road riding.)

With the front rack fitted, the dual battery Homage is no lightweight at 35.7kg (my estimate). I normally ride in Sport mode with occasional Turbo for the steeper hills. This allows a steady cadence and power output without stressing my arthritic knee and hip. The comfort pack was a great choice and the saddle has worked best angled slightly backwards. At 175cm tall on the 49cm frame, I have the seat pushed back.

A problem solved

The Kiox computer was not charging properly on the bike resulting in a low battery warning for the device. Other computers were tried but the problem remained, thus indicating an issue with the cradle. The bike shop adjusted the cradle and the computer now snaps into place with an audible click, ensuring good electrical connections. (Does your Kiox snap and click?)

A problem still to be fixed

The rear shock has failed. The bike shop disassembled the shock and concluded that the small hole between the air chambers was becoming blocked. To test the bike after the shop had put it back together, I went for a ride yesterday but, at an 18km coffee stop, I noticed that the shock had again failed and the rear wheel was riding far too high.

Using the train for part of the return trip, I checked the rear wheel height when I arrived home and it had returned to its original height. Go figure.

Riese and Müller have agreed to send a replacement rear shock. Let's hope that they do so promptly by taking one from existing stock!

PS That is not dodgy paintwork in the second photo but the effect of sunlight on protective plastic film.

20210605_102259.jpg

20210605_113432.jpg

20210605_134641.jpg

Let’s hope that they do NOT take a replacement from current stock but wait for Suntour to supply them with shocks that are not duds.

You aren’t the only one to have been sold a lemon.

It is a shame that R&M stopped offering the Fox suspension upgrade on the Homage. They did back in 2018 when we bought Nancy's bike. My 2019 Homage had the only suspension offered on the Homage from 2019 onward, Suntour front and XFusion rear shocks which were notably less effective and not as fully tunable. They still offer the Fox option of the Delite, but not the Homage. It would be nice to know the logic of that decision as the Homage with the Fox upgrade is a significantly more comfortable bike IMO.

Wow, as a touring bike & putting step-thru aside, it looks like you could get some serious storage between the down tube & seat tube given the right customised frame bag/setup!
And the weight would be centralised.

Just noticed, they've changed the front fork to the Marzocchi Bomber Z2.

Last edited:
It is a shame that R&M stopped offering the Fox suspension upgrade on the Homage. They did back in 2018 when we bought Nancy's bike. My 2019 Homage had the only suspension offered on the Homage from 2019 onward, Suntour front and XFusion rear shocks which were notably less effective and not as fully tunable. They still offer the Fox option of the Delite, but not the Homage. It would be nice to know the logic of that decision as the Homage with the Fox upgrade is a significantly more comfortable bike IMO.
100% this.

How widespread is this problem with the rear shock?
My understanding is that R&M are aware of the problem and are waiting for a new shipment of rear shocks which, hopefully, will arrive later this month. I appreciate that R&M are 'owning' a problem that appears to be Suntour's.

In my case I expect a two-month 'unusable' period from when the problem presented itself – essentially immediately on receipt of my Homage, although it took me a while (ten rides!) to figure out what was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a shame that R&M stopped offering the Fox suspension upgrade on the Homage.
I asked my local R&M dealer* whether we could change a disaster into a fortunate opportunity by swapping over to Fox. No luck: shocks that are the right size are unobtainable, which is to be expected when one lives in 'interesting times'.

* There aren't too many of us who can regard an R&M dealer as a local bike shop! For me, it's forty minutes by car or a five-minute diversion from any Brisbane ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back