2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Is that the Fabric bottle mount? Mine (single battery) came with the rack but nothing for the bottles.

Yes, it is.
And, as others have noted, they will only fit the 2021 Homage when fitted with the front carrier rack due to the design of the new frame.

Hey Just received the 1up USA 2" Super Duty car bike rack. Rated to hold each bike at 75 lbs. I ordered it with a ramp and extension handle for the pivot release. it can be used with a smaller hitch with an extra part. I do not have the Homage's yet but will use to pick them up when they get here. I have to say it is one well-built rack. Not a lot to assemble but needed to make some changes to it based on the additional parts I ordered. Seems like it will work well. Tried a friends bike that had fenders and adjusting the arm spool that locks the wheel is an easy adjustment to accommodate the fenders. Holds the bike very securely. The final test will be with two Homage's on it. the rack is staggered so I think it will help with the bikes being so big and touching each other. the ramp is stored on the back of the rack when you do not need it. Over all I am happy with this one. It is not cheap but not much different then other ones people have been recommending. They shipped out in about 3 weeks. Hope it helps to get more info. I will let you know once I get the two bikes on it.

1617211372817.png
1617211458174.png

1617211540648.png
Ramp

Took the new bike out for the first decently long ride in SE Wisconsin back roads on Monday.

1617300987329.png

Left the house with the dual-batteries showing 84%, returned home with 47% showing after using the eMTB mode for most of the ride, and Turbo on several of the bigger/steeper climbs.
Tire pressures before I left were 40psi rear & 36psi front.
Temperature for the ride ranged from around 60F down to 55F by the time I got back home.
Winds were "brisk" at 15-20mph sustained with gusts to 30mph.

When riding in crosswinds, I could definitely feel the bike being pushed sideways and had to lean the bike into them.
With the Bosch Gen4 CX Class-1 motor in eMTB mode the headwinds virtually disappeared. (other than my ears getting cold)

-----

Made a few stops along the way to relax and take some photos of the bike and scenery.
The blue is a VERY deep blue, which shows as virtually black most of the time except in very bright sunlight.

Homage 02.jpg

Homage 01.jpg

The two shots above were at an old rock quarry which flooded when they dug too deeply.
The big iron thing in the second shot is an old rock crusher.

Homage 08.jpg

Not to get "Too far into the weeds", but...
I started with both the front and rear compression damping set at wide open, and the rebound damping at both ends at the middle setting after counting the total number of clicks available.
During the ride I added in 2 clicks each of additional rebound damping at both front and rear, and am feeling pretty good about that setting for the frost cracked/heaved pavement in this area.

Homage 06.jpg

This is a place where I often enjoy taking a break.

Homage 05.jpg

I have added an additional flashing LED light to the front and rear for extra daytime visibility, and a mount for my cell phone.

Sadly, the Nyon display does NOT allow USB power output for charging a phone while out on the road.
If I had known that before ordering, I may have stayed with the lower cost Kiox display which DOES have USB power out for charging your phone.
But I am sure that if needed I can work out a solution for keeping my phone charged.

Homage 11.jpg

I am looking forward to many more rides on this great bike!
🚴‍♂️

Last edited:
The blue is a VERY deep blue, which shows as virtually black most of the time except in very bright sunlight.

🚴‍♂️
I think i like the DeepSea Blue Metallic more than my SC's Electric Blue (thief magnet):
18_hlf_supercharger_zuege-im-rahmen_electric-blue_3888.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you who are interested, I put my bike on a scale, just to find out the actual weight.

2021 R&M Homage GT Rohloff (class-1)
Nyon Display option
Dual-Battery option
Front Carrier option
2x Fabric bottles & mounts
Dropper Post option
Standard flat bars & Super Moto-X tires

Net Weight = 80.2 pounds = 36.38 kg

Last edited:
I see that webcurl expressed surprise at the weight I measured.
These figures come straight from the R&M Owner's Manual:

2.6.2. Weight specifications
MODEL ------ MAXIMUM GROSS WEIGHT --------- WEIGHT OF E-BIKE ---------- MAX. WEIGHT OF RIDER --- MAX. LOAD ON REAR RACK --- MAX. LOAD ON FRONT RACK
Homage GT ------- 140 kg / 309 lbs ---------- 28.5 – 36.8 kg / 62.8 – 81.1 lbs -------- 110 kg / 242 lbs --------------- 20 kg / 44 lbs ------------------- 5 kg / 11 lbs

So, a bit over 80 pounds is within the expected range depending upon options.
I am sure that the IGH and second 625Wh battery contributes significantly to it being at the upper end of that scale.

YMMV

I am sure that the IGH and second 625Wh battery contributes significantly to it being at the upper end of that scale.
My R&M SC1 GX (Rohloff, front carrier, 40mm Rims) is about 30kg with 2x500Wh.
The 2x625Wh adds 1.2kg onto 2x500Wh.
Dropper post & rear suspension adds.
But i guess there may be extra weight in the frame to enable step-thru & rear suspension with strength.

Does this trunk make my backside look too big???

Tail Trunk 01.jpg

The rear box is the same one that I use on my motorcycle, and since I had a spare mounting plate decided to give it a test fit to how it might work.

Pluses:
  • 47 Liters of waterproof storage (Room for tools, spare tube, pump, first aid kit, lunch, layers for changing weather, helmet and riding gloves when parked, and a whole lot of groceries)
  • Lockable hard case storage for items of value (Removable display, tool kit/pump, etc.)
  • Easy to mount & remove when wanted/needed (single button release)
  • Bibia adjustable rubber strap can now be used on the front rack
  • This box has additional LED lights which can be wired in to the stock taillight for additional visibility in urban riding (I also use this feature on my motorcycle)
  • Rugged, as can be seen by the marks sustained from dropping a full-sized motorcycle while riding off-road with this box installed
  • "One trunk to rule them all" (only need to take one case with when traveling with both the R&M and my motorcycle on road trips)

Tail Trunk 02.jpg

Negatives:
  • Added weight of the box & mounting plate (~9lbs)
  • Weight is high and slightly behind rear axle, which may affect handling if loaded up.
  • More storage space than needed for most recreational rides
  • How it looks???
Tail Trunk 03.jpg

Other options:
  • A small lockable hard case attached to the front rack for carrying every-day essentials and stowing the display when parked/locked-up
  • Small hard saddlebag(s) attached to the side(s) of there rear rack for same.
  • The trunk maker also sells smaller cases which use the same base plate, so I could buy a smaller box for recreational rides, and the large one for running errands.
  • A MIK compatible soft tail case for tools, spare tube, etc which provides no security, but is lighter.

What say the collective?

The versatility, security, and convenience of a large and lockable hard case that adds 9 pounds (~3%) to the combined 285 pounds of rider, bike, and accessories.
OR,
Spend more money to get a smaller case which carries less and maybe less secure, but with less weight and visual "bulk".

----------

Here is the same box while mounted onto the back of the motorcycle:
Texas Hill Country - Winter 2020.jpg

And on the Homage:
Tail Trunk 01.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendation for panniers for the homage? I have time... my Homage isn't arriving till late July.

p.s. @BMWzenRider I think I ordered the exact same bike as you.

Jim, Ortlieb's E-Mate panniers are used, and generally praised, by a number of EBR Forum members.

E-Mates are stiffened to keep their shape and are supplied with a padded central compartment for an additional battery. Whether users of the dual-battery Homage will need to take along a third battery is questionable; however, the battery compartment is useful in keeping other items in order.

Provided one does not overfill the panniers, the magnetic latches are adequate for day trips; however, I'd opt for a traditional roll top with clip buckles for more rugged rides especially in wet weather.

Quite likely, one E-Mate pannier will cost almost as much as a pair of traditional panniers.

Whichever pannier you choose there is likely to be problem of having it coexist with a trunk bag. This is because most trunk bags are wider than the rails on which panniers are mounted. Richard has overcome this problem by adding a lower mounting bar for the panniers. (Edit: Thanks for adding the details. See next post.)

As far as I am aware, the issues relating to mounting panniers are shared with current and previous Homages and Delites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, Ortlieb's E-Mate panniers are used, and generally praised, by a number of EBR Forum members.

E-Mates are stiffened to keep their shape and are supplied with a padded central compartment for an additional battery. Whether users of the dual-battery Homage will need to take along a third battery is questionable; however, the battery compartment is useful in keeping other items in order.

Provided one does not overfill the panniers, the magnetic latches are adequate for day trips; however, I'd opt for a traditional roll top with clip buckles for more rugged rides especially in wet weather.

Quite likely, one E-Mate pannier will cost almost as much as a pair of traditional panniers.

Whichever pannier you choose there is likely to be problem of having it coexist with a trunk bag. This is because most trunk bags are wider than the rails on which panniers are mounted. Richard has overcome this problem by adding a lower mounting bar for the panniers. (Edit: Thanks for adding the details. See next post.)

As far as I am aware, the issues relating to mounting panniers are shared with current and previous Homages and Delites.
Thank you! Very detailed and helpful. I wasn't aware of e-mates. I ordered one to see how I like it, but it seems perfect for my needs.

Did a little 24.5 mile ride today with the tail trunk on the back.
No issues with fit, clearance, or noise; but did notice that when I had some extra weight in it after stopping at the grocery the front wheel had some shake starting it if I didn't keep both hands on the grips (or a firm grip with one hand).

So, this is probably not the best solution due to the added weight being up high and behind the rear axle, as I thought might be an issue.

It is good to have the data point, and as long as I kept some grip on the bars it was not dangerously unstable.
But I believe that the next thing for me to try is to either look at a hard case & lockable saddlebag, or to have a smaller case mounted farther forward on the rear rack, or on the front rack.

I really would like to have something that can be locked to secure the display and other small items on the bike when I leave it parked out in public.
And I would prefer if it did not increase my frontal area/drag.
One article I read recently suggested that a front bag/case could actually improve aerodynamic drag by working like a small fairing, so something on the front rack is probably my next attempt.

Further reports as they come in...
YMMV.

p.s. @BMWzenRider I think I ordered the exact same bike as you.

I went back and forth on whether to order the Class-1 (20mph) or the HS Class-3 (28mph) model.

The primary factors in my decision to go with the Class-1 bike came down to:
  1. Being able to legally ride it in more places. (some parks and trails restrict you to Class-1 bikes)
  2. The variable assist eMTB mode on the CX motor. (which is not available on the Bosch Speed motors)

The eMTB mode increases assistance automatically as you press harder on the pedals.
And with my bad knees, the eMTB mode just felt much better on my knees versus needing to think about changing both the assistance level and gear position while test riding models with & without the eMTB mode.
It gave me one less item to deal with while riding variable terrain or while stopping for intersections.

However, those test rides were only a couple of miles each,
and after a couple of 20-30 mile days on my new Class-1 Homage, I am now wondering if I made the correct choice.
My moving average speed for those rides have been around 15-17mph, which is pushing close to the assistance limit of 20mph on this bike.
I am now wondering if I am going to be satisfied with the lower speed assistance long-term?

My previous (and first) e-bike is a Raleigh Talus with a 250 watt & 60N-m rear hub motor and torque sensing, with a maximum assist level of 100% in Turbo mode.

Organ Pipe Cactus Monument 14.jpg

The new Homage offers 85N-m of torque and up to 340% boost in Turbo, or variable 140-340% assistance while in eMTB mode which is where I leave it most of the time.
Even in just the second assist level (Tour) the Bosch motor is giving 140% boost, which is more than the Raleigh offers when cranked all the way up.
Not to mention the fact that the power is being produced by the Homage is at the crank, which benefits from gearing reduction for additional torque at the rear wheel when climbing the numerous hills here in southeast Wisconsin.

Homage 06.jpg

The eMBT mode is very nice and natural feeling, requiring less fiddling with the power level for hills, but does not give the same feeling of assistance that comes with the fixed power levels. I KNOW that it is helping out when in eMTB mode, but you do not get the same sense of the motor pulling you along like when switching the bike into Turbo for a long hill.

Not to mention, that both the standard (20mph) Homage and the HS (28mph) model both use the same primary gearing on the belt drive, meaning that I reach the power cutoff threshold of 20mph while spinning the pedals at just over 80rpm in 10th gear.
Rendering the top 4 gears of my Rolhoff hub as virtually unusable unless going downhill; which I usually use for coasting/resting anyway.

If I had it to do over again, I might be tempted to go with the HS model and forgo the eMTB mode.
But I do enjoy letting the bike automatically manage the assistance level, which gives one less thing to think about for all but the steepest & longest hills (when I switch to Turbo).
Or, I just need to adjust my attitude when riding to not push so hard (which my knees would probably appreciate), and to focus more on enjoying the ride rather than going as fast as possible...

What I REALLY wanted was for Bosch to offer the eMTB mode in their Speed motors.
But in contacting both R&M and Bosch before ordering, they both confirmed that is not possible currently, and that Bosch has no plans to offer that combination in the future to differentiate the two motors. Which I understand from their perspective, but was not the answer I was hoping for.

I just need to keep reminding myself that this bike was purchased to get me back out into nature, not for commuting.
I do not NEED to go faster than what it offers.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
I went back and forth on whether to order the Class-1 (20mph) or the HS Class-3 (28mph) model.

The primary factors in my decision to go with the Class-1 bike came down to:
  1. Being able to legally ride it in more places. (some parks and trails restrict you to Class-1 bikes)
  2. The variable assist eMTB mode on the CX motor. (which is not available on the Bosch Speed motors)

The eMTB mode increases assistance automatically as you press harder on the pedals.
And with my bad knees, the eMTB mode just felt much better on my knees versus needing to think about changing both the assistance level and gear position while test riding models with & without the eMTB mode.
It gave me one less item to deal with while riding variable terrain or while stopping for intersections.

However, those test rides were only a couple of miles each,
and after a couple of 20-30 mile days on my new Class-1 Homage, I am now wondering if I made the correct choice.
My moving average speed for those rides have been around 15-17mph, which is pushing close to the assistance limit of 20mph on this bike.
I am now wondering if I am going to be satisfied with the lower speed assistance long-term?

My previous (and first) e-bike is a Raleigh Talus with a 250 watt & 60N-m rear hub motor and torque sensing, with a maximum assist level of 100% in Turbo mode.

View attachment 85596

The new Homage offers 85N-m of torque and up to 340% boost in Turbo, or variable 140-340% assistance while in eMTB mode which is where I leave it most of the time.
Even in just the second assist level (Tour) the Bosch motor is giving 140% boost, which is more than the Raleigh offers when cranked all the way up.
Not to mention the fact that the power is being produced by the Homage is at the crank, which benefits from gearing reduction for additional torque at the rear wheel when climbing the numerous hills here in southeast Wisconsin.

View attachment 85597

The eMBT mode is very nice and natural feeling, requiring less fiddling with the power level for hills, but does not give the same feeling of assistance that comes with the fixed power levels. I KNOW that it is helping out when in eMTB mode, but you do not get the same sense of the motor pulling you along like when switching the bike into Turbo for a long hill.

Not to mention, that both the standard (20mph) Homage and the HS (28mph) model both use the same primary gearing on the belt drive, meaning that I reach the power cutoff threshold of 20mph while spinning the pedals at just over 80rpm in 10th gear.
Rendering the top 4 gears of my Rolhoff hub as virtually unusable unless going downhill; which I usually use for coasting/resting anyway.

If I had it to do over again, I might be tempted to go with the HS model and forgo the eMTB mode.
But I do enjoy letting the bike automatically manage the assistance level, which gives one less thing to think about for all but the steepest & longest hills (when I switch to Turbo).
Or, I just need to adjust my attitude when riding to not push so hard (which my knees would probably appreciate), and to focus more on enjoying the ride rather than going as fast as possible...

What I REALLY wanted was for Bosch to offer the eMTB mode in their Speed motors.
But in contacting both R&M and Bosch before ordering, they both confirmed that is not possible currently, and that Bosch has no plans to offer that combination in the future to differentiate the two motors. Which I understand from their perspective, but was not the answer I was hoping for.

I just need to keep reminding myself that this bike was purchased to get me back out into nature, not for commuting.
I do not NEED to go faster than what it offers.

As always, YMMV.

Thanks for sharing your thoughtful posts. I had no idea about eMTB mode and how it differed from the other modes. I am learning every day.

I primarily went with a class 1 because I currently have a class 3 but I almost never ride faster than 20 mph unless going down hill and for your reason, more places to ride and not worry about class 3 restrictions. I hope I don't regret that decision when my bike comes in (3 more months. ugh), but I don't think so. I look forward to your posts about your experiences and pictures here.

Back