2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Yeah, I have done that drive several times this last year.
I started dating a woman here in Columbus in the middle of the pandemic, and to top things off she has a genetic immune disorder making her at much higher risk.
Not the best timing to do so, but love knows no distance or health crisis.
If I do go back to pick the bike up, I will need to quarantine for a week before heading back down to Columbus for her safety.

I do have my current Costco/Raleigh e-bike with me in addition to a motorcycle and Honda CT125 Trail Cub, so I am not without a bike.
OTHO, I don't want them to wheel it onto the showroom floor for people to climb on it, and potentially scratch my brand new bike.

Decisions, decisions...
I have a solution. I live in Gurnee IL. just outside of Milwaukee. I am waiting for two Homages to be delivered in May. I assume you purchased yours at Wheel and Sprocket. I would be happy to pick yours up and ride it for early spring in your absence to insure it is all working correctly LOL

Last edited:
I know a lot of information has already been given on the best Car rack for the Homage. I thought I was ready to purchase the Thule. I came across another one, the One UP car rack. It is really heavy duty and well constructed. lots of great reviews. https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-double-bike-rack/

1616067572357.png

The biggest issue I see is the fenders on the Homage. The do offer several options to address this:
1616068249956.png

Wheel Stop
1616067664554.png

securely holds bike with front and rear fenders
– Improves front wheel stability caused by fork rotation
– Easy to assemble with no rack modifications
– Compatible with wheelbases up to 46”

Fender Cushion​

1616067763236.png

Anyone have experience with the one-up rack and Homage or other similar bikes?

I have the Thule XT and I have the 54 Homage and my wife has the smallest Nevo . It's a really tight fit to get both bikes on the rack. The only way it works is to have the Nevo closest to the car and the Homage second. I don't think it's ideal to have the heavier bike in the second "slot" but that's the only way it works.

I have been really surprised at how heavy the Homage is even with the battery removed. I had the Gazelle Ultimate before and it's a lightweight in comparison. There is 10 kg or more than 20 pounds difference if the specs on the Citrus Cycles website are correct.

I am starting to have second thoughts about taking these bikes on our annual 2200 km trip to California. I know Alaskan has done long trips with two bikes on his rack but he found a way to support the rack with an additional strap off his car roof. I would have to buy a roof rack with a cross strut to get an anchor point on my X5

I have done about 250 kms on the new Homage. I am really enjoying it but its a big brute of a bike. I had a very limited triathlon career many years ago and still remember the light and nimble triathlon bike I had. The Homage is at the other end of the scale. Think Porsche 911 versus Hummer.

I have a solution. I live in Gurnee IL. just outside of Milwaukee. I am waiting for two Homages to be delivered in May. I assume you purchased yours at Wheel and Sprocket. I would be happy to pick yours up and ride it for early spring in your absence to insure it is all working correctly LOL

What models did you order?

Mine is a dual-battery Rohloff GT (20mph with the CX motor & eMTB mode) with, Nyon display, front rack, and dropper post.

I have the Thule XT and I have the 54 Homage and my wife has the smallest Nevo . It's a really tight fit to get both bikes on the rack. The only way it works is to have the Nevo closest to the car and the Homage second. I don't think it's ideal to have the heavier bike in the second "slot" but that's the only way it works.

I have been really surprised at how heavy the Homage is even with the battery removed. I had the Gazelle Ultimate before and it's a lightweight in comparison. There is 10 kg or more than 20 pounds difference if the specs on the Citrus Cycles website are correct.

I am starting to have second thoughts about taking these bikes on our annual 2200 km trip to California. I know Alaskan has done long trips with two bikes on his rack but he found a way to support the rack with an additional strap off his car roof. I would have to buy a roof rack with a cross strut to get an anchor point on my X5

I have done about 250 kms on the new Homage. I am really enjoying it but its a big brute of a bike. I had a very limited triathlon career many years ago and still remember the light and nimble triathlon bike I had. The Homage is at the other end of the scale. Think Porsche 911 versus Hummer.
Thanks for the info. This rack has a max of 75 lbs for each slot. Every review talks about how heavy duty the rack is. the big issue is that fenders. I do not like the idea of the fenders being the holding point. My same concerns on the Thule for two Homage's.

Thanks for the info. This rack has a max of 75 lbs for each slot. Every review talks about how heavy duty the rack is. the big issue is that fenders. I do not like the idea of the fenders being the holding point. My same concerns on the Thule for two Homage's.
I agree on the fenders. They are sturdier than some fenders but not an ideal attachment point.

I will be coming off of a Raleigh Talus IE e-bike with hub drive but torque sensing.
It weighs in at around 56 pounds with the rear rack that I added.
So the Homage dual-battery will be around 18 pounds heavier (listed weight of 74-lbs).

However, my other bikes are both quite a bit heavier than even that at 260-lbs for my Honda CT125 Trail Cub & 374-lbs for my BMW G310GS motorcycles; so even the Homage will still feel like a lightweight in comparison.

YMMV

I will be coming off of a Raleigh Talus IE e-bike with hub drive but torque sensing.
It weighs in at around 56 pounds with the rear rack that I added.
So the Homage dual-battery will be around 18 pounds heavier (listed weight of 74-lbs).

However, my other bikes are both quite a bit heavier than even that at 260-lbs for my Honda CT125 Trail Cub & 374-lbs for my BMW G310GS motorcycles; so even the Homage will still feel like a lightweight in comparison.

YMMV
You are well equipped in the two wheel transportation department

I promised my wife that I would give up motorcycles when I turned 65. I am almost 72 and down to two motorcycles so there is some progress.....The current and very probably last stable is a Harley Street Glide in California and a Harley Heritage Classic in Vancouver. I did a custom make over or the Heritage last year in the black/white look.

Attachments

• Charlie-2.jpg
    Charlie-2.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 219
I'm currently using a MowTow. The bike basically hangs from the rim of the wheels and the lower wheels are velcroed to a sliding supprt that acts a bit like a chock — it just stops the bike from swinging. The bottom wheel attachment carries no load. Photo linked below.

A Nevo fit perfectly when I brought the bike home from my dealer. Easy and secure.

The Homage also fit securely, but the pannier guard touches the mounting arm when placed in the rearmost position, so I have wrapped the support arms with old inner tube and silicone tape to prevent scratching (not shown in vendor photo). The lower wheel support touches the bottom couple inches of the fender on one Homage wheel. There is an adjustment I can make on the support arm I haven't tried yet that may solve that. Failing that I'll stuff a chunk of pool noodle in between the fender and tire. Since the wheel support is not carrying any load to speak of as long as the wheel doesn't wobble around when I cinch the Velcro we're good to go.

I have not yet loaded both bikes on at the same time. When the weather gets better and I can convince my not-yet-retired wife to take off a day for fun, I'll report back if there were any issues :)

The load capacity for the rack is 200 lbs. This is what the thing looks like without a bike. (Edited to add link to vendor).
EBike-carrier.jpeg

Just ordered the one up super duty twin rack. they take returns so we will see. I talked to someone at the company and they were confident the rack will work and the roller for the tire should be able to be adjusted so it will not need to hold the fender. I will send pics when I get the rack and bikes. They also have a ramp and ordered that as well.

John

Is that the Fabric bottle mount? Mine (single battery) came with the rack but nothing for the bottles.

Is that the Fabric bottle mount? Mine (single battery) came with the rack but nothing for the bottles.
It is, and no, the required hardware doesn't seem to come with the bike when it's factory-configured with a Front Carrier for some reason, but aftermarket carriers do come with the necessary hardware.

It is, and no, the required hardware doesn't seem to come with the bike when it's factory-configured with a Front Carrier for some reason, but aftermarket carriers do come with the necessary hardware.
Isn't the required hardware the plastic mounting mushrooms and longer bolts?

You can buy Fabrik bottles on ebay for under $20 and they come with the black plastic mushroom mounts, likely the bolts won't be long enough. A trip to the hardware store and $0.60 should take care of that.

I'm not terribly clever mechanically, so consider the source :) The rack mount bolts sit deep in a recess. The mushroom needs to be about a half-inch or so away from bolt head to clear the recess. A stand-off might bridge the gap, though.

I just put fidlock water bottles on my wife's Nevo (had to modify the carrier plate + bolts to make it work). That system seems pretty secure.

You can buy Fabrik bottles on ebay for under $20 and they come with the black plastic mushroom mounts, likely the bolts won't be long enough. A trip to the hardware store and $0.60 should take care of that.
The main issue is that the stock fabric hardware and "mushrooms" that come with the bottles are 5mm and those that come with R&Ms are 6mm.

Last edited:
Back