SONDORS is releasing it's first mid-drive EBikes.

The problem these smaller ebike brands have to solve is how to generate ongoing revenue apart from sales in order to support a more robust service model.

The experts here should know but what is a reasonable annual cost to maintain an ebike? Unlike some consumer electronics that sell you on a warranty program you rarely need, some type of maintenance program in conjunction with an LBS network may bridge the gap from a customer service aspect and a revenue stream for both the LBS and the maker.

I guess that’s what the higher end brands are doing. I have no idea as this whole bike and ebike industry is new to me.

It seems to be a mostly amateur approach for many of the smaller on-line outfits. I had mentioned to one company that some swag (tshirt, hat, stickers) was a cheap way to get some branding via end user. My conclusion, these guys are not long term models. The big boys, Giant, Trek, Specialized have the network in place but still come off as uncommitted to eBikes. I can remember Hondas step through 50cc. You meet the nicest people on a Honda campaign, the one that almost put HD out to pasture. As for entry, low end, on-line Rad and Sondor seem to "get" marketing. Pretty sure 10 years from now their names will be in the mix, possibly absorbed as a Big guns low end brand. Its exciting to watch it all unfold.

The problem these smaller ebike brands have to solve is how to generate ongoing revenue apart from sales in order to support a more robust service model.

The experts here should know but what is a reasonable annual cost to maintain an ebike? Unlike some consumer electronics that sell you on a warranty program you rarely need, some type of maintenance program in conjunction with an LBS network may bridge the gap from a customer service aspect and a revenue stream for both the LBS and the maker.

I guess that’s what the higher end brands are doing. I have no idea as this whole bike and ebike industry is new to me.
Some motors require intermittent greasing which is easy to do. The rest is routine bike maintenance stuff. Many shops will work on the no electrical stuff. If I bought a high end bike from a shop, I would negotiate a maintenance plan.

Kinda impacts your business in a negative way, I'd imagine. At least your interests aren't vested.
No competition from Sondors with the kit market I work in. Overall Sondors upgraders were a royal PIA. Tinasdude and a few like him were a pleasure to deal with.

I have ordered the LX as well. General components are on the website and should be accurate. Specifics have not been posted yet. The LX will come with the 14/28 freewheel and the twist shifter I am fairly sure. Both are easily and economically replaced. It appears to come with an air fork branded Sondors Air Sock. For the road and light trail use, it should be adequate. Sealed bearing hubs. I hope it has sealed headset bearings as well. For some reason they have made the LX a tall bike. The seat tube is 20.35". Crank arms will probably be 170mm. Add a standard type seat. 2" height. That is 29" top of seat to pedal distance. With proper leg extension people ride with about 2" longer than their inseam. Shoes and pedals will give back another 1 inch. It appears that you will need approximately a 26" inseam at the minimum to ride this bike with a standard saddle all the way down. Throw in a fat ass seat with springs, that goes up to 27". An NCX suspension seatpost and a standard saddle will require about a 30" inseam. Add 2 " to that for a thudbuster LT. If you desire or want a suspension seat post, this is not a good short person bike. I like to lower the saddle on trails so the COG will be lower and handling will be better. Not so much on this bike. Just things to be aware of if you are vertically challenged and have been considering this bike.

So my height is 6 ft and 180 lbs weight; looking at LX stats does it make it compatible with my height and weight? Whats the lowest comfortable height for this LX model?

The bike should should fit fit you well. It is smaller people that will have issue. I am 5'8" tall. 30" inseam. I will barely be able to use a suntour NCX suspension seatpost and a regular saddle. And that will be in the all the way down position. I will not be able to use a Thudbuster LT as it adds 2" more in ride height. this is of course if production has the 20.35" seat tube as presently shown. That is a crazy size for a one size fits all bike.

Is it possible to have add rack on the back of LX model to haul second passenger?
Has this modification been added to other Sondors bikes? I have a Toddler of 18 months and thinking I want to add an attachment for future rides together..

All we have seen so far are artist renditions. It has been reported they will have the ability to add a rack. Make sure you get a rack that is compatible with an approved child carrier.

Some photos posted on Sondors Facebook page of new mid drive bikes at factory in China.

Sondors 1.jpg
Sondors 2.jpg
Sondors 3.jpg

Both yellows look great to me. Seeing the actual bike is making me consider one but probably after more people actually get them.

Both yellows look great to me. Seeing the actual bike is making me consider one but probably after more people actually get them.

I know. I had a shot at the last black one and am bummed the earliest possible next delivery is 2021-coulda, shoulda, woulda!

As a Sondors owner, I think these Ebikes make a great base unit for the price upgrade components in the next couple of years and have an even better bike and spread the cost out over more time.

Upgrades that can be done to the LX, here are a few I would progressively do within 2-3 years.

1)Watt Wagon Controller
2)Terrene Johnny 5 tires
3)HED Rims
4)QUAD Brakes
5)Kinekt Suspension seat post

As a Sondors owner, I think these Ebikes make a great base unit for the price upgrade components in the next couple of years and have an even better bike and spread the cost out over more time.

Upgrades that can be done to the LX, here are a few I would progressively do within 2-3 years.

1)Watt Wagon Controller
2)Terrene Johnny 5 tires
3)HED Rims
4)QUAD Brakes
5)Kinekt Suspension seat post

I agree that the LX is likely to be a good platform opportunity for customization and upgrades. However the number one issue that will likely need to be addressed first is not the motor controller, but the drivetrain groupset if Sondors continues their theme of using the same 48 t chainring and 14-28 t freewheel set as on all their hub drive models. Based on my experience with a Frey Ultra powered CC with a 40 t to 11/42 groupset, the Sondors Fattie would not have nearly low enough gearing for my likely uses. I suspect some Sondors riders coming from their hub drive bikes will go through a lot of chains if their habit is to leave the bike in a low cadence high gear and hit the throttle. This will depend on how the motor is tuned though --- Sondors claims to have worked with Bafang to have custom tuned their version of the Ultra for the typical Sondors rider which could mean some sort of start-up torque limiting much as the WattWagon guy says he does so as not to destroy his Rohloff equipped models.

Speaking of the WattWagon/Archon controller, I ‘m not sure I understand the exuberantly rapturous transformation some have said it’s made to their riding experience from the stock controller. Now at close to 500 miles on my Frey CC, I’ve not experienced the “jerkiness” on/off overshoot behavior others seem to have that upgrading the controller has fixed. The PID closed loop parameters all seem to lead to well damped behavior with no overshoot oscillation at least for the way I pedal, which is to say I think the stock controller is working just fine on my Frey. I suppose this could be the luck of the draw sample-to-sample variation or I got a motor that was accidentally loaded with Biktrix firmware. Who Knows? But I would hold off worrying about upgrading the controller until I see what Sondors actually delivers, especially given the WW/Archon’s cost compared to the LX itself.

I agree that the LX is likely to be a good platform opportunity for customization and upgrades. However the number one issue that will likely need to be addressed first is not the motor controller, but the drivetrain groupset if Sondors continues their theme of using the same 48 t chainring and 14-28 t freewheel set as on all their hub drive models. Based on my experience with a Frey Ultra powered CC with a 40 t to 11/42 groupset, the Sondors Fattie would not have nearly low enough gearing for my likely uses. I suspect some Sondors riders coming from their hub drive bikes will go through a lot of chains if their habit is to leave the bike in a low cadence high gear and hit the throttle. This will depend on how the motor is tuned though --- Sondors claims to have worked with Bafang to have custom tuned their version of the Ultra for the typical Sondors rider which could mean some sort of start-up torque limiting much as the WattWagon guy says he does so as not to destroy his Rohloff equipped models.

Speaking of the WattWagon/Archon controller, I ‘m not sure I understand the exuberantly rapturous transformation some have said it’s made to their riding experience from the stock controller. Now at close to 500 miles on my Frey CC, I’ve not experienced the “jerkiness” on/off overshoot behavior others seem to have that upgrading the controller has fixed. The PID closed loop parameters all seem to lead to well damped behavior with no overshoot oscillation at least for the way I pedal, which is to say I think the stock controller is working just fine on my Frey. I suppose this could be the luck of the draw sample-to-sample variation or I got a motor that was accidentally loaded with Biktrix firmware. Who Knows? But I would hold off worrying about upgrading the controller until I see what Sondors actually delivers, especially given the WW/Archon’s cost compared to the LX itself.
There is a Frey CC owner that has posted it has made a big difference with his Ebike, Biktrix seems to have played around with the setting/firmware.hex codes to the point that they have it very well tuned.
Of coarse I would have to ride it first, to see how it would feel and perform.

I agree typical purchaser of these bikes will balk at cost of controller upgrade. Makes more sense on a premium bike where you've invested closer to $4K and it's "only" another grand to upgrade it to a world class experience. Stock controller is fine for most and they probably won't know what they are missing. I find it's much more fun to ride now as the motor feels like a natural extension of the bike. YMMV.

Back