hill climbing? 750W hub versus 250W mid drive

Yeah a 250w Bafang sounds like a BBS01 (which looks exactly like a BBS02), which is usually a 36v motor. It could also be one of their new small commercial oem motors. Assessing the tech another way: Look at the kind of motor all of the quality name brand manufactured e-mtb's use.

On a BBSHD this can either be 'same' or 'faster', depending on the assist level AND the settings you plug in. If you are using the factory settings the answer will pretty much always be 'faster'. Set it up like I have mine and its pretty much always 'same rate'. Factory settings let the motor run away from the rider and pretty much totally account for all the bad reviews of that line's performance.

It will never be slower on a BBSHD. There's a clutch inside that won't let that happen.
Thanks! Maybe you can help me understand the oft-claimed mid-drive climbing advantage.

Look at enough official mid-drive+derailleur bike specs, and you'll see that most have chainrings larger than any of their stock cassette cogs. Torque-wise, this puts the mid-drive motor at a mechanical disadvantage in every gear. Also makes the both motor torque and mechanical power subject to drivetrain frictional losses.

Why is this better than applying the same motor torque and mechanical power directly to rear hub? What am I missing?

Thoughts on this, @mschwett ?

Last edited:
Thanks! Maybe you can help me understand the oft-claimed mid-drive climbing advantage.

Look at enough official mid-drive+derailleur bike specs, and you'll see that most have chainrings larger than any of their stock cassette cogs. Torque-wise, this puts the mid-drive motor at a mechanical disadvantage in every gear. Also makes the both motor torque and mechanical power subject to drivetrain frictional losses.

Why is this better than applying the same motor torque and mechanical power directly to rear hub? What am I missing?

Thoughts on this, @mschwett ?
if nothing else efficiency. if you keep up say a 80 rpm cadence while climbing them motor is going to be running close to its most science constantly. but most hubs dont have good gearing and it would be hard to compare them accurately. butI watched a video of a guy with a bike that was the same gearing using a bafang hub and mid drive both the same wattage climbing a hill and the mid drive blew the hub drive away. Hell putting 200 watts of human effort through the drivetrain will out climb a 200 watt hub motor any day.

if nothing else efficiency. if you keep up say a 80 rpm cadence while climbing them motor is going to be running close to its most science constantly. but most hubs dont have good gearing and it would be hard to compare them accurately. butI watched a video of a guy with a bike that was the same gearing using a bafang hub and mid drive both the same wattage climbing a hill and the mid drive blew the hub drive away. Hell putting 200 watts of human effort through the drivetrain will out climb a 200 watt hub motor any day.
Thanks! Wonder why gearing a hub motor down to wheel speed is any harder than a mid motor down to chainring speed? Maybe it's a room problem.

Thanks! Wonder why gearing a hub motor down to wheel speed is any harder than a mid motor down to chainring speed? Maybe it's a room problem.
but you have variable speed in the hub Motor. if you keep your rpms at 80 and shift on a mid drive them motor is going to be close to its peak all the time. its also why you see such long ranges on bosch and specialized with only 36v smaller batteries.

but you have variable speed in the hub Motor. if you keep your rpms at 80 and shift on a mid drive them motor is going to be close to its peak all the time. its also why you see such long ranges on bosch and specialized with only 36v smaller batteries.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I do everything I can to keep a cadence of 85±5 RPM just to keep my knees happy. Sounds like a mid-drive would be happy with that, too.

Last edited:
you'll see that most have chainrings larger than any of their stock cassette cogs
Most e-MTBs and gravel e-bikes have their chainrings smaller then their big cassette gears for the pure virtue of amplifying the torque at the rear wheel.

20240331_181003.jpg

What can you see here?

You see big chainrings and smaller cassettes on your typical commuter mid-drive e-bikes for high speed as the sacrifice for their climbing capability. Still a good mid-drive e-bike will offset the gearing with its high peak power.

Jeremy, try demo riding a mid-drive e-bike made of a named animal 😊

(It looks @Jeremy McCreary has Ignored me).

Last edited:
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I do everything I can to keep a cadence of 85±5 RPM just to keep my knees happy. Sounds like a mid-drive would be happy with that, too.
yep I tested the bosch at different rpms. and yo need 70rpms for them motor to give its all. like this 20% grade hill at 40 rpms I maxed the motor out putting out 450 watts myself. but with a smaller chainring I was able to spin at 80 rpms and put out 550 watts and I don't think I hit the motor limit. p-lus the faster you can peddle them ore torque you can generate for the same amount of effort. 450 watts at 40 rpm is far harder then at 80 rpms.

yep I tested the bosch at different rpms. and yo need 70rpms for them motor to give its all. like this 20% grade hill at 40 rpms I maxed the motor out putting out 450 watts myself. but with a smaller chainring I was able to spin at 80 rpms and put out 550 watts and I don't think I hit the motor limit. p-lus the faster you can peddle them ore torque you can generate for the same amount of effort. 450 watts at 40 rpm is far harder then at 80 rpms.
Seems odd, then, that most of the derailleur mid-drive specs I've seen have at most one low gear with a cog equal to or larger than the chainring. Most have none.

With that kind of gearing, how is an average rider on 26+ inch wheels supposed to keep up cadence to keep the mid motor in its happy place on big hills? Not the weakest cyclist but doubt that my legs ever put out 450W.

Seems odd, then, that most of the derailleur mid-drive specs I've seen have at most one low gear with a cog equal to or larger than the chainring. Most have none.
Because most bikes sold are wildly geared too high for normal people. And electric bikes make this even worse.

I think most bike manufacturers think all of their riders have thighs and quads that are bigger than most tree trunks.

What's too high in gear inches?
My 500W hub-drive with 27.5 inch tires came with 9-speeds and 42t / 34-11t gearing. That came to a range of 34 - 105 gear inches — WAY too high for our many short 5-10% grades and no go on anything steeper.

Now it has 10-speeds with 40t / 42-11t gearing for a 26-100 gear-inch range — more than capable in this terrain with acceptable exertion. No problem keeping preferred cadence, and forward speed generally stays above 5 mph on hills. The geared hub motor seems happy with this arrangement.

Last edited:

With that kind of gearing, how is an average rider on 26+ inch wheels supposed to keep up cadence to keep the mid motor in its happy place on big hills? Not the weakest cyclist but doubt that my legs ever put out 450W.
thats the sacrifice you make with a mid drive only one chainring. so you need to dial it in for the type of riding you do. on our tandem we have a 36t chaining and we can climb anything with it. I climb about the same amount of effort on my trek with a 42t. chainring. but I could go smaller as I never go 28mph anymore. I usually put about 450 watts on a 20% grade. a couple ears ago I could do 700 watts for a few second starting off and popping a weelie. I did 550 watts testing the bosch motor going up a 20% grade to keep the rpms at 80. man my heart rate was like 200 on that two block stretch it was so hard for me.

The only reason this happens is because some mid drive motors have a secondary housing - that contains the gear reduction off the motor - which sticks out on the drive side and in turn widens the Q factor out to the right. Thats why BBSHD crankarms have an 18mm offset on the non-drive-side... to even out the pedals underneath you so they are centered again.

The existence of that secondary housing also means the chainring moves outboard. Which in turn means chain alignment is biased towards the outside of the cluster, onto the little cogs. You can't even reasonably get to the big cogs oftentimes. SO the solution to that is to have a chainring which covers overtop of the secondary gear housing like a lid on a jar thats a bit too big, and provides inboard offset to bring the chain line back to normal. This loose fit over the 'jar' can only go so small as a result. The limit is 42T. If you buy a Lekkie replacement motor cover for a BBS02 or a BBSHD they are a bit smaller and reduce the size limit to 40T. Thats the entire reason you see big chainrings on BBSxx motors, and would also see them for example on ToSeven motors.

My Smash has a Cyc X1 Pro on it, which does not have a secondary gear housing to fight with. If I recall correctly I put a 34T hiding behind the primary (kart) drive chain.
IMG_20200105_131657.jpg

My Big Fat Dummy has a BBSHD, but thanks to the long stays on a longtail, the angles that come from that allow me to get away with murder on chain alignment, and I can use a 36T front chainring without alignment issues. You can see in the closeup how the ring is only barely bigger than that secondary housing just behind it. BTW when I finish with this post I am going outside and fitting an 11-51T rear cluster on that bike.

20231126_140542.jpg
20231126_140542-EDIT.jpg

And here is a BBSHD with a replacement motor cover that allows me to bump down the front to 40T.

PXL_20220526_161910855.jpg

And here's a real good look at that inboard offset. This is a Luna Eclipse ring which has the most offset of any BBSxx ring on the market. It looks as if you could go smaller if you look at the secondary inside the chainring, but you can't.

img_20190929_170338[1].jpg

Gears help the rider climb a hill. We all learned this before ebikes, the first time we tried climbing a hill without shifting. They do exactly the same thing for an electric motor that is using the drivetrain to do its work just as you do.

Something @Rexlion related above pointed out a caveat I hadn't thought of, though. He test-rode a 250w Bafang mid drive motor and found it ... sucked. Which points out that mid drives are not repealing any laws of physics. If they have no power to start with, they aren't going to do much, just like a weak hub motor. Here in the USA our legal limit is triple that of a 250w EU motor (even though those EU motors typically peak at more than double that) so I'm not accustomed to seeing or dealing with such a weak mid drive.

I mentioned earlier that Bafang motor power is overstated. Here's what I mean: A BBSHD is rated for 160 Nm. Sounds enormous compared, for instance, to a Bosch CX's 85 Nm. But Area 13 put a BBSHD on its dyno and found that 160 Nm at the axle translated to 58 Nm to the ground. Its still a lot, but nothing like what you would think by reading the specs. If a 48v/28a BBSHD is only putting down 58Nm, whats a 20a / 36v BBS01 putting out? Not much. What I see very often in EU cargo bike conversions are 48v BBS02's, which from what I hear creates really good middle ground insofar as power is concerned.

Last edited:
My 500W hub-drive with 27.5 inch tires came with 9-speeds and 42t / 34-11t gearing. That came to a range of 34 - 105 gear inches — WAY too high for our many short 5-10% grades and no go on anything steeper.

Now it has 10-speeds with 40t / 42-11t gearing for a 26-100 gear-inch range — more than capable in this terrain with acceptable exertion. No problem keeping preferred cadence anywhere, and forward speed generally stays above 5 mph on hills. The geared hub motor seems happy with this arrangement.
34-105 sounds good with 500 W of assist ready. You could pedal at 20 mph with a cadence of 78, I think, but sitting upright, you'd want assistance against air drag. At a cadence of 85 in low, you'd be going 8.4 mph. Below that, the motor might not offer many watts of assistance.

Low gear on a traditional English 3-speed was about 52 gear inches. That worked for a 10-year-old female neophyte pedaling 100 miles over hilly terrain one day and 100 miles back the next. It used to work for me on 10% grades. I seem to be a little heavier now...

My Abound ranges from 37 to 74 gear inches. I'd love something taller for the occasional stretch of level road. Without assistance, it works better in all gears since I swapped the torque sensor for a conventional bottom bracket. Less friction under load!

Last edited:
Just to make the discussion more complete, let me mention that the granny gear on the MTB is from 20 gear-inches down :)

Something @Rexlion related above pointed out a caveat I hadn't thought of, though. He test-rode a 250w Bafang mid drive motor and found it ... sucked. Which points out that mid drives are not repealing any laws of physics. If they have no power to start with, they aren't going to do much, just like a weak hub motor.
@Jeremy McCreary says 34 gear inches is too high for some grades he pedals up. He must be working at speeds below 10 mph. A 250 W mid drive might do better than a 750 W hub if, as @Stefan Mikes says, the chainwheel is suitable. When I encountered a steep grade on soft ground with a heavily loaded Abound, I needed torque on the wheel, not speed. In that case, my direct drive hub motor was adequate.

34-105 sounds good with 500 W of assist ready. You could pedal at 20 mph with a cadence of 78, I think, but sitting upright, you'd want assistance against air drag. At a cadence of 85 in low, you'd be going 8.4 mph. Below that, the motor might not offer many watts of assistance.
Forgot to mention that I usually ride at low assist, even up hills. In most cases, my 500W, 65 Nm hub motor still has plenty of help to give at 5 mph. Usually in no hurry, but if I want to climb faster, I can up the assist and still get a useful motor response.

With a lot of huffing and puffing at way below preferred cadence, this hub-drive once climbed a half-mile 22% grade at assist 7/9 without overheating. Low gear then was 24 inches. Was still catching my breath a few minutes later when a big 50-something guy on an unmotorized 18 lb gravel bike joined me at the top, not the least bit out of breath.

Getting the feeling that there's a lot of gray area in hub- vs. mid-drive climbing ability, and some of it has to do with gearing, technique, and exertion tolerance.

Forgot to mention that I usually ride at low assist, even up hills. In most cases, my 500W, 65 Nm hub motor still has plenty of help to give at 5 mph. Usually in no hurry, but if I want to climb faster, I can up the assist and still get a useful motor response.

With a lot of huffing and puffing at way below preferred cadence, this hub-drive once climbed a half-mile 22% grade at assist 7/9 without overheating.

Incidentally, was still catching my breath a few minutes later when a big 50-something guy on an unmotorized 18 lb gravel bike joined me at the top, not the least bit out of breath.

Getting the feeling that there's a lot of gray area in hub- vs. mid-drive climbing ability, and some of it has to do with gearing, technique, and exertion tolerance.

IMG_0329.jpeg
IMG_1242.jpeg
IMG_1517.jpeg

With a lot of huffing and puffing at way below preferred cadence, this hub-drive once climbed a half-mile 22% grade at assist 7/9 without overheating.
you sure it was 22% thats a hard climb for anyone. and for a bike really hard. here are pics of 20% and the last one at the top is 22%

you sure it was 22% thats a hard climb for anyone. and for a bike really hard. here are pics of 20% and the last one at the top is 22%
Not certain, but (a) it looked as steep as your photos, and (b) the rider who came up after me had a bike computer that put it at 22%. Several 15% grades near my house, and that climb was much steeper than those.

Back