SONDORS is releasing it's first mid-drive EBikes.

The stock Ultra comes with a 130 BCD spider adapter. The smallest chainring gear that will fit it is a 38T. The christini adapter is 104 bcd. I think 32 is the smallest in a standard type ring for 104 bcd. They make a threaded 30T. There are large 104 bcd chainrings at least 48T as well. So there is a good range of rings in that size. Whether you want speed or torque, there is something in there for you

A Freewheel?! Stupid, stupid, STUPID. Why? Because a freewheel means a freewheel hub, which with any hard riding mean a bent and eventually broken axle. Elite Class my a**. That is Walmart there. Oh, and I like how the artwork depicts a big 50T cassette and high-end derailleur, instead of the puny 28T freewheel and low-end derailleur.

EDIT: oh, and a twist shifter as well. :rolleyes: No performance mountain bike has twist shifters. Not in 30 years, anyway.

The components are mostly garbage, necessary to hit that price point. I'd bet most people will noodle around on roads with these and won't know the difference anyway. Anyone riding these on real mtb trails will end up having to upgrade almost everything.

At 1999 I think the LX is a better value. Fatty hardtail step thru with Hydros, Ultra motor, and a 21ah battery integrated. 104 bcd adapter on order for me.

No, he said, "I believe Sondors biz plan is narrow to near zero margins to expand market share." That is to benefit Sondors, not the market.
Exactly online addy,, Same biz plan that made oh you know AMZ the largest e-tailer in the world. :) It's actually a common practice, just never as long as AMZ has done it, which is why they are where they are..
:pI guess that disinformation makes buyers more at ease. But where are the facts? If anyone believes ANY eBike builder does it to the benefit of the market rather than themselves...well...I have a good deal on a bridge!

It LOOKS like to me, the same biz plan that made oh you know AMZ the largest e-tailer in the world. :) It's actually a common practice, just never as long as AMZ has done quarter after quarter with zero profit to share holder - now they obviously do. which is why they are where they are..

I'm not in that e-space of ebikes but it appears overly crowded! If I was I'd do just that little margin, re-invest pre-tax profits into biz to crowd out competitors.

It's BIZ 101 Sir, I'm not here to flame with you and your personal problems with Sondors however..

At 1999 I think the LX is a better value. Fatty hardtail step thru with Hydros, Ultra motor, and a 21ah battery integrated. 104 bcd adapter on order for me.
I know EXACTLY what you mean! Oh I was SO close to doing the step through, especially at $500 less!! I'm not that heavy into off-roading, so it would have worked but in MN I do want to ride in the snow. That look also just got me over the edge for the Rockstar! Both LX and RS are beautiful! There was just something about that yellow that grabbed me!! :) It's similar to the c8 corvette brake calipers, at least in the photo.

One of the reasons the LX was built as a 4.9" tired fatty was to be a 4 season bike. That is snow bike territory. I would have liked to see a much shorter seat tube like the cruiser, so you can drop the seat way down when conditions are sketchy. Get the COG much lower.

SONDORS Elite Rockstar - Detailed Specs List
Part Details
BATTERY SONDORS 48V, 21AH, Genuine LG cells
MOTOR Tuned for SONDORS - M620, 48V, 750W mid motor w/ controller
CHARGER 48V, 3A Smart Charger
DISPLAY SONDORS by Bafang C240 LCD
GEAR SENSOR 5V, 500MM, CAN communication
FRAME Bespoke Aluminum
FORK Tuned for SONDORS - Suntour XCR 32 LO R Air Boost. 120mm travel (internally adjustable to 140mm max) with rebound and compression adjustment and lockout. 15x110 thru axle.

Magnesium lower with forged crown and chrome steel stanchions. 2300 grams
REAR SUSPENSION Tuned for SONDORS @ 150mm rear travel - DNM AO-38RC, 0.28 KG (0.62 Ib), 190 mm (7.83 inch), Adjustments - Rebound / Lock out / Air Pressure Adjustable,
Dark hard-anodized AL-7075 Ø 10 mm (0.39 inch) shaft. Dark hard-anodized AL-6061 shock body. Applicable Riding style, XC / TRAIL
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano RD-M310,ALTUS 7speed, AMFTZ5007428 MULTIPLE FREEWHEEL SPROCKET, MF-TZ500-7,7-SPEED, 14-16-18-20-22-24-28T with Twist shifter
SHIFTERS
FREE WHEEL
FRONT BRAKE Tektro Auriga E-SUB(HD-E520), black, hydraulic disc brake, cable length:850mm, 180mm Rotor
REAR BRAKE Tektro Auriga E-SUB(HD-E520), black, hydraulic disc brake, cable length:1650mm, 180mm Rotor
PEDALS Wellgo B087 9/16 CR-MO , aluminum ,black BS
FRONT RIM DP-45*27.5*13G*36H,A/V,ALLOY
REAR RIM DP-45*27.5*13G*36H,A/V,ALLOY
OUTER TIRE Maxxis tire 27.5*3.0
INNER TIRE 27.5*3.0
SPOKES 13G*270mm,14MM,BLACK
SPOKES 13G*268mm,14MM,BLACK
HANDLEBAR Promax HB-3188-W700,6°,Rise:30
STEM Promax MA-410,alloy
GRIP Velo VLG1670D3
HEADSET SONDORS H383 AEM,ALLOY
SEATPOST KS Dropper Post
SEATPOST CLAMP 319 QA
SADDLE Gel saddle
CHAIN KMC #Z7,EPT,1/2*3/32*126L
FRONT HUB D041SB-B155,36H*13G,ALLOY
REAR HUB D982SB-HL-B12,36H*13G,ALLOY
THROTTLE FT-130X,700MM
reflector for wheel 722SS C
reflector 122C,Front
reflector 122R,Rear
:(
This time it certainly did pay to wait until the component details were released.

Hello guys;
Any feedback on LX component? I am thinking about placing January Order; is this good value for the money?

What components are below par? What component can I upgrade in future for better riding experience?

I have ordered the LX as well. General components are on the website and should be accurate. Specifics have not been posted yet. The LX will come with the 14/28 freewheel and the twist shifter I am fairly sure. Both are easily and economically replaced. It appears to come with an air fork branded Sondors Air Sock. For the road and light trail use, it should be adequate. Sealed bearing hubs. I hope it has sealed headset bearings as well. For some reason they have made the LX a tall bike. The seat tube is 20.35". Crank arms will probably be 170mm. Add a standard type seat. 2" height. That is 29" top of seat to pedal distance. With proper leg extension people ride with about 2" longer than their inseam. Shoes and pedals will give back another 1 inch. It appears that you will need approximately a 26" inseam at the minimum to ride this bike with a standard saddle all the way down. Throw in a fat ass seat with springs, that goes up to 27". An NCX suspension seatpost and a standard saddle will require about a 30" inseam. Add 2 " to that for a thudbuster LT. If you desire or want a suspension seat post, this is not a good short person bike. I like to lower the saddle on trails so the COG will be lower and handling will be better. Not so much on this bike. Just things to be aware of if you are vertically challenged and have been considering this bike.

Looking at the design of this bike, I do not think you can cut down the seat tube to make it any shorter. I emailed Sondors about my concern for the tall seat tube.

Do you have any hard proof to support that accusation? (other than anecdotal)
9 months of Sondors upgrade parts sales and support. It's not an accusation, rather a statement of fact. But Sondors has it's own cult of believers. And for some it all works, while others discover that being their own repair and warranty service isn't all it's cracked up to be. But it's not just Sondors. It's the entire business model.

Its too bad they are only offering the huge fat tires in those three models. I just chatted with rep on their site asking about a 2-3 tire version for us commuters, paved street etc. but he said not an option on those new models.

Tires are available. I looked at Vee fatties for street use

9 months of Sondors upgrade parts sales and support. It's not an accusation, rather a statement of fact. But Sondors has it's own cult of believers. And for some it all works, while others discover that being their own repair and warranty service isn't all it's cracked up to be. But it's not just Sondors. It's the entire business model.

Kinda impacts your business in a negative way, I'd imagine. At least your interests aren't vested.

Tires are available. I looked at Vee fatties for street use
There are several different tires that can be used for street use. Part of the equation will be how wide the rims are on each model. I thought that the LX was the only one with fat tires. The rockstar had off road tires and 3.0"? There would be lots of street options for the rockstar and the cruiser. finding a narrower street tire for the LX will be the challenge. There is not a great selection that will fit.

It has been reported Sondors has upgraded their CS, the parts, and warranty department. I cannot verify this personally as i do not own a Sondors. I hope they have. With the e-bike market growing CS or the perception of CS will be an ever important part of business.

The problem these smaller ebike brands have to solve is how to generate ongoing revenue apart from sales in order to support a more robust service model.

The experts here should know but what is a reasonable annual cost to maintain an ebike? Unlike some consumer electronics that sell you on a warranty program you rarely need, some type of maintenance program in conjunction with an LBS network may bridge the gap from a customer service aspect and a revenue stream for both the LBS and the maker.

I guess that’s what the higher end brands are doing. I have no idea as this whole bike and ebike industry is new to me.

Back