SONDORS is releasing it's first mid-drive EBikes.

Does anyone know the frame geometry on the Rockstar yet?

Just from the photos above I would say that the seat tube is slacker and the head tube is steeper than what is considered modern trail bike geometry. Also the reach looks short and a tall stack height. Just a guess though.....

The bike should should fit fit you well. It is smaller people that will have issue. I am 5'8" tall. 30" inseam. I will barely be able to use a suntour NCX suspension seatpost and a regular saddle. And that will be in the all the way down position. I will not be able to use a Thudbuster LT as it adds 2" more in ride height. this is of course if production has the 20.35" seat tube as presently shown. That is a crazy size for a one size fits all bike.

I am really thinking hard about the Rockstar. However, this concerns me, I am 5'6", are any of these mid-drives going to fit me?

Apparently Tom Hanks purchased a Sondors and loves it.
My guess is they are neighbors since the company is in Malibu where Hollywoodites live to be away from hassle. I saw Schwarzenegger on a Chinese fat bike with a warehouse near his office. It is great marketing photos and cool to see famous people eMTB'ing!

I think October is the first wave, they were just building them, my last Email said next one is already 2021

I want to wait and see some reviews on the rockstar before I jump. I have a couple of concerns, the first is rider hight, I want to see some 5'6" riders report. The other is the tyres, I know that isn't going to change, but the 17.5 tyres turn me off. The issue there is that there is a dearth of commuter suited studded tyres in that size.

In fact, I have just changed the tyre size on my current commuter (a home conversion) to 26" just to get a better tyre selection.

I want to wait and see some reviews on the rockstar before I jump. I have a couple of concerns, the first is rider hight, I want to see some 5'6" riders report. The other is the tyres, I know that isn't going to change, but the 17.5 tyres turn me off. The issue there is that there is a dearth of commuter suited studded tyres in that size.

In fact, I have just changed the tyre size on my current commuter (a home conversion) to 26" just to get a better tyre selection.

Tires on Rockstar at 27.5 I think

Whats the advantage of bigger (27.5) tires?

Understand, I am not a real fan of 27.5, think the 700/29 inch tyres were too big for a lot of people and 26 had already been done. The 27.5 is similar to the 650b. I think it is mostly different looking.

I prefer the 26". There are a lot of tyre options, and the bike is almost an inch lower with them. My current commuter came with 27.5 and I used them for a year, but last weekend I converted it to 26" and I think I will be happier with it this way. It has a Tongsheng TSDZ2 that I put on it. In the process of converting it to 26" I also put a NuVinci on it at the same time. I like the NuVincis' that I have used in the past.

It comes down to, I like the look of the Sonders Rockstar, but I would need to do too much to it to meet my needs. I am waiting for reports from users. It may be that it is so good that I am willing to get it, even knowing how much additional I will need to do to meet my needs.

From the Sondors website

Maxxis® 27.5 x 3.0"

That is considered standard on that type of bike, maybe a little extra wide, but Watt Wagons top of the line full suspension Carbon fiber bike has 27.5 X 3"

26" are almost all full fatties now

Understand, I am not a real fan of 27.5, think the 700/29 inch tyres were too big for a lot of people and 26 had already been done. The 27.5 is similar to the 650b. I think it is mostly different looking.

I prefer the 26". There are a lot of tyre options, and the bike is almost an inch lower with them. My current commuter came with 27.5 and I used them for a year, but last weekend I converted it to 26" and I think I will be happier with it this way. It has a Tongsheng TSDZ2 that I put on it. In the process of converting it to 26" I also put a NuVinci on it at the same time. I like the NuVincis' that I have used in the past.

It comes down to, I like the look of the Sonders Rockstar, but I would need to do too much to it to meet my needs. I am waiting for reports from users. It may be that it is so good that I am willing to get it, even knowing how much additional I will need to do to meet my needs.

Same here. I would like to hear what the new October owners report...

From the Sondors website

Maxxis® 27.5 x 3.0"

That is considered standard on that type of bike, maybe a little extra wide, but Watt Wagons top of the line full suspension Carbon fiber bike has 27.5 X 3"

26" are almost all full fatties now

Internationally, 26", standard widths, remains an extremely popular tyre size. I think you would have a lot of trouble finding a 27.5 replacement outside of a moderately sized city in China. (I base that on my search for a replacement tyre for my recumbent in China when I visited the coast, I ended up with a moped tyre, and it was heavy and slow).

Internationally, 26", standard widths, remains an extremely popular tyre size. I think you would have a lot of trouble finding a 27.5 replacement outside of a moderately sized city in China. (I base that on my search for a replacement tyre for my recumbent in China when I visited the coast, I ended up with a moped tyre, and it was heavy and slow).

Very popular tires come in most sizes, for example Schwalbe Magic Mary's comes in 26", 27.5 and 29 in various widths.

Just to add, what is available and popular in rural China is irrelevant to me, and most posting on EBR ;)

Last edited:
Very popular tires come in most sizes, for example Schwalbe Magic Mary's comes in 26", 27.5 and 29 in various widths.

Just to add, what is available and popular in rural China is irrelevant to me, and most posting on EBR ;)

I understand your point, that the tyres you need are available in many different sizes. I was looking for something very particular last winter, studded 27.5 commuter tyres. I realize that isn't something most cyclists will ever need. However, it was enough to make me give up on 27.5, it just didn't fit my purposes.

Back to the point, I recognize that making the Rockstar meet my needs will require me to make changes to it once I get one. Right now I am waiting to see some use reviews to decide if It will be attractive enough to go with, in light of those needs.

As another example, Sonders says a rack will be available. Again, for me, that is an essential item. No, it isn't something that most buyers will value, I recognize that. However, I am interested in how it will mount. Will it be a, "Wow, that is brilliant! Someone finally did a rack on full-suspension right!" Or will it be, "Eww, not so great. . . "

Again, I am waiting to see.

Back