Roadster V2 Gravel Edition

I ended up swapping out my stem for a redshift stem as well. The stock setup is much too short (handlebars are nearly 1inch shorter vertically than my other bikes) for it to be comfortable for me --- I'm 6'4" and typically ride 61cm frames. Just including this update to say that it ended up working, specifically the 30 degree 100mm redshift stem regains that ~1inch of vertical distance, and the bike is relatively comfortable to ride, even for someone used to a 61cm frame.
Mark, did you buy new handlebars? If so, what size stem?

@Taylor57

Good review... you wanted that throttle for so long on a mid-drive bike, surprised you went for the Graveler without one.

I'm looking at that Rize "Fixie" (not really a fixie) because it has a throttle, hydraulic brakes and is about 34lbs.

Need to adjust my mechanical brakes on the Gravelster. Watched the Park video, but has anyone here adjusted the brakes on their Gravel? Mine has very tight clearance and rubs no matter how loose I adjust...

Front or back or both? My regular V2's front wheel was out of true and the axle cone was too tight. My gravel is a bit out of true but just a smidge. But the axle cone is again too tight. So are your wheels in true?
Have you contacted Ride1Up or gone to their FAQ pages? Lots of help there. Also I believe you're in Palm Springs. They have a supposedly dealer in the area - Palm Desert Bikes.

Last edited:
Front or back or both? My regular V2's front wheel was out of true and the axle cone was too tight. My gravel is a bit out of true but just a smidge. But the axle cone is again too tight. So are your wheels in true?
Have you contacted Ride1Up or gone to their FAQ pages? Lots of help there. Also I believe you're in Palm Springs. They have a supposedly dealer in the area - Palm Desert Bikes.
Thats good to know. I'm getting my new hitch installed this week. Looks like I will be headed to PD Bikes. ThanksTrek...

Thats good to know. I'm getting my new hitch installed this week. Looks like I will be headed to PD Bikes. ThanksTrek...
Taylor you may want to also check your headset. I noticed mine is loose. Not a big deal to tighten.
Couple of other observations:
1. Yes the bike weights more than 33#'s. I came up with it at 35.7#, so close to your 36#'s.
2. The bike is bigger (taller) than the "regular" V2. Standover height is a inch more. Some from the larger tires. The rest I have no idea why. I did suggest to Ride1Up they need to actually provide the correct Gravel specs on their site, as opposed to using the regular V2's.
3. I put on my NCX suspension seat post I have with the Haibike seat. Barely fits (see attached). Don't know your height, but I'm 5'9" and ride with the seat pretty high. So you may want to check how much clearance you need/have. Riding on some fairly rough gravel yesterday, a suspension stem is a must in my opinion.
4. On the extender battery if you decide on getting one, Ride1Up has a very good new install video.

P1253421.JPG

Taylor you may want to also check your headset. I noticed mine is loose. Not a big deal to tighten.
Couple of other observations:
1. Yes the bike weights more than 33#'s. I came up with it at 35.7#, so close to your 36#'s.
2. The bike is bigger (taller) than the "regular" V2. Standover height is a inch more. Some from the larger tires. The rest I have no idea why. I did suggest to Ride1Up they need to actually provide the correct Gravel specs on their site, as opposed to using the regular V2's.
3. I put on my NCX suspension seat post I have with the Haibike seat. Barely fits (see attached). Don't know your height, but I'm 5'9" and ride with the seat pretty high. So you may want to check how much clearance you need/have. Riding on some fairly rough gravel yesterday, a suspension stem is a must in my opinion.
4. On the extender battery if you decide on getting one, Ride1Up has a very good new install video.

View attachment 112728

My hitch install has been pushed back a week, so that should be enough time for my Suntour suspension post to show up. I am debating the Redshift stem as well. Once the hitch gets installed, my first order of business will be to take the Gravelster to PD Bikes for a brake fix and overall inspection...

FYI. For you who have received or are in the process of receiving or ordering - Make sure you, when receiving, to check the gravel bike out for "defects". Looks like some QC issues. I have advised Ride1Up.

For me so far (all of which I have or can handle):
1. Front wheel out of true
2. Axle cone over tightened. Will cause considerable rolling resistance depending on how bad.
3. Headset quite loose. Easy fix.
4. Both tires on backwards - mounted opposite to rotation arrow (I'll be adding liners anyway). Not sure that it really matters with these knobbies.

Last edited:
FYI. For you who have received or are in the process of receiving or ordering - Make sure you, when receiving, to check the gravel bike out for "defects". Looks like some QC issues. I have advised Ride1Up.

For me so far (all of which I have or can handle):
1. Front wheel out of true
2. Axle cone over tightened. Will cause considerable rolling resistance depending on how bad.
3. Headset quite loose. Easy fix.
4. Both tires on backwards - mounted opposite to rotation arrow (I'll be adding liners anyway). Not sure that it really matters with these knobbies.
Yeah, Im not sure about the headset or tires on backward, but my front wheel is def out of true and the axle cone is over tightened. Not going to ride it again until I get it into the dealer for a check up...

Yeah, Im not sure about the headset or tires on backward, but my front wheel is def out of true and the axle cone is over tightened. Not going to ride it again until I get it into the dealer for a check up...
Seems to be an issue with the "front wheel factory person". My regular Roadster had the same issues (truing, cone). Once resolved you'll notice a big difference depending how tight the cone was. Good luck. I still really like these bikes!

Oh BTW, they (Ride1Up) gave me a $40 coupon after I had my LBS true the front wheel on the "regular" Roadster. Used it on the battery extender.

Last edited:
wait, can someone explain this weight discrepancy? how did ride1up come up with 34lb for the gravel, but folks here are seeing it closer to 36lb?

i know it’s a couple lbs, and it’s still light for an ebike—but i live in a walk up apartment and need to be mindful of weight. the original v2‘s weight is compelling but i really don’t want to push the 35lb mark.

also question about the lower gearing: my main draw to the gravel over the original roadster v2 was the lower gearing on the gravel, which theoretically makes it easier to ride without PAS. does anyone with experience with both versions find this to be true? and if so, is it quite noticeable?

i would be city riding, so lots of starts and stops at lights. i want to see if the different gears bring a lot of daylight between the two versions in terms of starting from a complete stop. but since weight is also important to me, need to figure out this weight discrepancy and gearing to know what my tradeoff will ultimately be.

Last edited:
also question about the lower gearing: my main draw to the gravel over the original roadster v2 was the lower gearing on the gravel, which theoretically makes it easier to ride without PAS. does anyone with experience with both versions find this to be true? and if so, is it quite noticeable?

i would be city riding, so lots of starts and stops at lights. i want to see if the different gears bring a lot of daylight between the two versions in terms of starting from a complete stop.
Maybe I can help with your 2 posts. I have both versions. I ride both on paved and gravel surfaces.
1. On weight. I have both in the 52 cm size. I weighted it originally using a not real accurate scale. Was just trying to get a rough idea of the difference. The gravel weighted a bit over a # more on that scale. I have now weighted both with what I believe is a much more accurate scale. The gravel weights 35.7#'s. But the regular V2 actually weights 34.5#'s. So heavier than their spec (33#). Why? I don't know, but some manufacturers weight the bike not including the pedals. The Gravel also has a higher stand over height - about an inch more for the same size.

2. The lower gearing on the Gravel does help starting out - fairly noticeable in my opinion. But....the Gravel loses the advantage once you get going, on top speed and also on hills. A lot of this is due to the larger tires I would assume. Actually I don't have any issue with getting either started unless on a big incline. But to answer your question yes the Gravel is easier to get going. But does it ride easier without any assist - no just the opposite in my experience if talking about pavement. I like both of these bikes a lot, but honestly prefer the regular V2 - just seems more nimble and quicker. Well unless if I'm not on pavement.

One other thing - I can almost guarantee you that the front wheel will be out of true and the axle cones over tightened. Both mine were and notice this in reviews. Hope this helps.

Maybe I can help with your 2 posts. I have both versions. I ride both on paved and gravel surfaces.
1. On weight. I have both in the 52 cm size. I weighted it originally using a not real accurate scale. Was just trying to get a rough idea of the difference. The gravel weighted a bit over a # more on that scale. I have now weighted both with what I believe is a much more accurate scale. The gravel weights 35.7#'s. But the regular V2 actually weights 34.5#'s. So heavier than their spec (33#). Why? I don't know, but some manufacturers weight the bike not including the pedals. The Gravel also has a higher stand over height - about an inch more for the same size.

2. The lower gearing on the Gravel does help starting out - fairly noticeable in my opinion. But....the Gravel loses the advantage once you get going, on top speed and also on hills. A lot of this is due to the larger tires I would assume. Actually I don't have any issue with getting either started unless on a big incline. But to answer your question yes the Gravel is easier to get going. But does it ride easier without any assist - no just the opposite in my experience if talking about pavement. I like both of these bikes a lot, but honestly prefer the regular V2 - just seems more nimble and quicker. Well unless if I'm not on pavement.

One other thing - I can almost guarantee you that the front wheel will be out of true and the axle cones over tightened. Both mine were and notice this in reviews. Hope this helps.
very helpful replies thank you!

@Taylor57

So how is the single gear?

I'm trying to decide between the 7-speed Aventon Soltera or the single gear Rize Fixie.

I lean towards the Rize because it has hydraulic brakes but just don't know about that single gear because I find a combo of PAS and gears makes it easy to find the right pedal effort.

@Taylor57

So how is the single gear?

I'm trying to decide between the 7-speed Aventon Soltera or the single gear Rize Fixie.

I lean towards the Rize because it has hydraulic brakes but just don't know about that single gear because I find a combo of PAS and gears makes it easy to find the right pedal effort.
Single gear is fine for riding here in Palm Springs on bikepaths, paved roads etc. I use the Gravelster as my workout bike. I need to take it in to the local Ride 1 UP dealer and have them true my front wheel and adjust front brakes. Something is just a hare off. It is quite light and I was able to add a Topeak rack and bag to carry my lock and gear. I may also add a Redshift stem. I will probably have it up to 50 lbs pretty soon by adding accessories!

@Big Nerd

I ride my Gravel Edition in hilly Chattanooga and so far I have not had to push it up a hill. I also had to adjust the cone and true the front wheel and added Magura hydraulic disc brakes because I was not a huge fan of how the Tektro’s felt. Other than that great bike.

Attachments

• CCAA4405-A9F6-46E7-8DDD-510EC18BB143.jpeg
    CCAA4405-A9F6-46E7-8DDD-510EC18BB143.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 308
  • 1202EBCB-909C-49F2-A2A5-F686DBA62E72.jpeg
    1202EBCB-909C-49F2-A2A5-F686DBA62E72.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 969AA927-3001-470A-9B35-5F3C453BD35B.jpeg
    969AA927-3001-470A-9B35-5F3C453BD35B.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 305
Thanks @Paradan09 and @Taylor57

Now if only it had a throttle.

I'm leaning towards the 7-speed Aventon Soltera... weighs more but also has a higher weight capacity and I am close to a local store where I can buy it fully assembled and take it for any warranty/service issues.

Back