Zen Samurai - Built in Canada - shipping since June 2022

Is it possible to get the Samurai equipped with that new ABS system from Bosch by any chance?

Thanks for this question, and to answer your questions, I have to provide some background information.
  • The new ABS from Bosch launched a few months ago, and they are taking bookings from OEMs, but the mass production units won't be available until Spring 2023.
  • To use the ABS, we need to use the Bosch smart system. The Bosch Gen4 system has two categories. Current Gen4 and the smart system. The smart system was recently introduced and costs more. Both of them are currently in production, and we use the latest Gen4 (not the so-called smart system) we decided to do so for the following reasons.
    • Gen4 system has been perfected over the last two years, and all the kinks have been worked out.
    • The new smart system needs a bit more work. For example, the new smart system is incompatible with the Dual battery configuration or the Rohloff E-14 gearbox because the CANBUS protocol is not yet developed. So, we could not use the dual battery configuration if we used the smart system. Dual battery - long-range feature is very much desired by folks who ride a lot or anyone who wants to minimize range anxiety.
    • We have to use the Magura ABS brakes to implement the ABS. The Magura ABS units have an 8-month lead time. As I said, these units can now be booked by the OEMs for 2023 production.
    • We would wait one more year before all these small issues are ironed out.
Typically, most companies announce their new products at the EUROBIKE, which is more like keeping up with the Joneses. As a company, we have to weigh in a lot of factors like cash flow, current product trajectory, market demand, etc before we bring something onboard.
Hope this helps.

Sulfur yellow or high-viz yellow frames arrived yesterday.
This is RAL 1016, and a few of our customers picked this color, and it looks fantastic in person!
These frames are expected to be built and shipped out this coming week.
We could make this a standard option if more folks are interested in this.
Once complete, this bike would have similar color to the iconic 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000. Frame pictures clearly don't do justice to the actual color that one can see in person.
Since all other components are black - tires, suspension, brake lines, wheels, hubs etc. we are looking to put black reflective 3M decals to go with this frame.

1662825623024.png

1662825646971.png

1662827478289.png

Sulfur yellow or high-viz yellow frames arrived yesterday.
This is RAL 1016, and a few of our customers picked this color, and it looks fantastic in person!
These frames are expected to be built and shipped out this coming week.
We could make this a standard option if more folks are interested in this.
Once complete, this bike would have similar color to the iconic 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000. Frame pictures clearly don't do justice to the actual color that one can see in person.
Since all other components are black - tires, suspension, brake lines, wheels, hubs etc. we are looking to put black reflective 3M decals to go with this frame.

This color looks amazing in person and is quite suitable for an E-bike as it provides high-visibility.
This bike still needs some minor adjustments but wanted to share it with all of you.

1663277584348.png

We did not have power for four days at our production facility because of Hurricane Fiona. Everyone on our team is safe!
The strong wind and wind gusts knocked down trees in several parts of Atlantic Canada, and here in Halifax, certain parts were bad.
Just today, we got access to our production site, and we apologize for any delay in communication or shipping the product.

Did anyone get his premium samurai with the Rohloff hub?
Your comments, opinions?
I ordered a Samurai Premium with Rohloff back in January. It finally shipped out from Nova Scotia to California on Thursday, Sept 29th (it’s been an extremely looooong wait).

Now the bike is stuck in Chicago at US Customs for a “DG audit” since Monday, 10/3 (DG = Dangerous Goods??? I’m not sure). No ETA when the bike will be released from Customs or when it will show up at my door. UPS and Zen didn’t have any information beyond that - I think Zen wasn’t aware of the audit possibility since they didn’t warn me about it.

My fear is that customs will open the box for the audit… hopefully, no parts will be missing and the bike will be received in good condition. Once I get the bike (assuming no parts missing or damage), I’ll be happy to give my impressions.

I’m really excited about the bike, the components and getting to finally ride it in the fall. I’ve been tracking Zen since Ravi first announced the Samurai in this forum well over a year ago. I love Zen’s enthusiasm, dedication and commitment to bringing a quality product to the market. Now let’s get this bike so I can get to riding…

Now the bike is stuck in Chicago at US Customs for a “DG audit” since Monday, 10/3 (DG = Dangerous Goods??? I’m not sure). No ETA when the bike will be released from Customs or when it will show up at my door. UPS and Zen didn’t have any information beyond that - I think Zen wasn’t aware of the audit possibility since they didn’t warn me about it.

UPS conducts these random DG-Audits, and our team will ensure the bike gets delivered to you.
We were not aware of this audit, and we have all the documentation needed to get this cleared; you don't have to worry about it at all.

I ordered a Samurai Premium with Rohloff back in January. It finally shipped out from Nova Scotia to California on Thursday, Sept 29th (it’s been an extremely looooong wait).

My fear is that customs will open the box for the audit… hopefully, no parts will be missing and the bike will be received in good condition. Once I get the bike (assuming no parts missing or damage), I’ll be happy to give my impressions.

I’m really excited about the bike, the components and getting to finally ride it in the fall. I’ve been tracking Zen since Ravi first announced the Samurai in this forum well over a year ago. I love Zen’s enthusiasm, dedication and commitment to bringing a quality product to the market. Now let’s get this bike so I can get to riding…
Me too was seduced by their enthusiasm and desire to present a good product, moreover, they were young people from the country.
And I ordered my premium Rholoff samurai also in presale January/February. Waiting a long time also until they told me that I was going to receive my bike at the end of August, despite the delay because at the beginning the delivery promise was June 2022 but understanding the difficulties of this year I was still happy and started ordering accessories and getting ready to use my bike.
After that nothing to October. I started to receive messages from the ravi team (each time with proposals with a component that was not in the description that we have all seen in presale, after multiple exchanges that sometimes go to the ridiculous they are trying to get me to cancel my order and back out of their promises. ☹
The last excuse was that there are no stores that do Rholoff maintenance around my address so they will cancels my order!!!!

Attachments

• 20221009_181426.jpg
    20221009_181426.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 178
To the poster who posted above...

Our team has spent a lot of time supporting and customizing individual orders, but they informed me that we had a lot of difficulty with this customer. We just want to refund this and move on.
Rohloff couldn't deliver our order because of supply chain issues, and our Rohloff shipment got pushed to 2023. So, we had limited Rohloff units.
This customer has been very difficult to deal with. Even though we offered very generous discounts, constantly asking for extra discounts and making threats made it impossible to deal with. We know that in the future, there will be more problems dealing with such cases. So, we just want to refund this customer.
We are constantly trying to improve, but sometimes, we just have to realize we can't make everyone happy and move on.

The case is so simple, take your money and send me the bike on which I put an advance. As promised from you with the components and parts indicated on the description. So each of us honors these commitments and his part of the contract.
But if you come each time with a change in the configuration with lower quality parts it is normal that I expect a price adjustment, but no I have to remember you to do it each time (kiderney is not what I want I didn't even know his existence before you tell me about) !!and the other components that you are talking to me about...!! if i want to chnage from the original offer i will tell you…

All the other proposals were to accommodate you, for example making me pay for shipping, while it was announced free I said yes just to help you and because I was looking forward to having my bike(and so many others things).
But signed a disengagement from the guarantee I could not accept that, it is even prohibited by law!!.

You just have to be honest with your customers and respect their intelligence.
(no one in your group tell me that there is no more Rholoff units available).

In any case if that's how you reward the world who trusts you for your launch model. And because of their commitments misses so many opportunities last winter and spends the summer waiting for a bike.
move on as you say

"excuse my english it's not my first language of expression"

We are meeting with friends, fellow Zen riders, prospective dealers, and distributors in Toronto.
If you are close to GTA, please send me a note at [email protected], and we can arrange a test ride.

View attachment 137481
Hi @Ravi Kempaiah

This past Sunday I had the pleasure of meeting up with Ravi, from Zen Electric Bikes.

I was afforded the opportunity to demo, two of Zen’s e-bikes.

One being the Zen 2023 Prototype with included throttle, the other the Samurai base model.

There are many, me-too e-bike companies and bikes on the market today.

It’s hard for many consumers to cut through the noise and pin down their prospective bike choices.

I have narrowed down my criteria for both the company and e-bike I am looking for, to the following.
  • Quality components
  • Low maintenance
  • Proper frame size (Not a one size fits all)
  • Mid drive/IGH
  • Safety features (quality integrated lights front and rear/rear brake light feature)
  • Belt drive
  • Large and efficient UL-Certified battery
  • A company with excellent R & D and a commitment to future development
  • Excellent warranty and serviceability
  • Quality and commitment from the people behind the brand
  • A fun and exhilarating riding experience
  • Price commensurate with components
ZEN here, checks all the boxes.

Ravi answered all my questions as I demoed the bikes.
I spent close to an hour and a half riding and asking questions of the bikes and the company.

He was extremely knowledgeable with a sincere enthusiasm for Zen e-bikes and the future of the industry.
As well as battery development and the future of energy storage for a cleaner world.

The 2023 Prototype with the throttle was more than I had expected.
I didn’t think I needed or wanted a throttle, but it is a heck of a lot of fun and offers a degree of optionality to one’s ride.
Tons of power for this 235 lbs. enthusiast and with the available frame sizes and strong geometry one can dial in the perfect fit.

Thanks again to Ravi and Sri Balaji Durairaj for treating me so well
and giving me the ZEN, Ultimate E-Bike Experience.

I really would like to see this 2023 Zen Prototype become a reality!

Hi @Ravi Kempaiah

This past Sunday I had the pleasure of meeting up with Ravi, from Zen Electric Bikes.

I was afforded the opportunity to demo, two of Zen’s e-bikes.

One being the Zen 2023 Prototype with included throttle, the other the Samurai base model.

There are many, me-too e-bike companies and bikes on the market today.

It’s hard for many consumers to cut through the noise and pin down their prospective bike choices.

I have narrowed down my criteria for both the company and e-bike I am looking for, to the following.
  • Quality components
  • Low maintenance
  • Proper frame size (Not a one size fits all)
  • Mid drive/IGH
  • Safety features (quality integrated lights front and rear/rear brake light feature)
  • Belt drive
  • Large and efficient UL-Certified battery
  • A company with excellent R & D and a commitment to future development
  • Excellent warranty and serviceability
  • Quality and commitment from the people behind the brand
  • A fun and exhilarating riding experience
  • Price commensurate with components
ZEN here, checks all the boxes.

Ravi answered all my questions as I demoed the bikes.
I spent close to an hour and a half riding and asking questions of the bikes and the company.

He was extremely knowledgeable with a sincere enthusiasm for Zen e-bikes and the future of the industry.
As well as battery development and the future of energy storage for a cleaner world.

The 2023 Prototype with the throttle was more than I had expected.
I didn’t think I needed or wanted a throttle, but it is a heck of a lot of fun and offers a degree of optionality to one’s ride.
Tons of power for this 235 lbs. enthusiast and with the available frame sizes and strong geometry one can dial in the perfect fit.

Thanks again to Ravi and Sri Balaji Durairaj for treating me so well
and giving me the ZEN, Ultimate E-Bike Experience.

I really would like to see this 2023 Zen Prototype become a reality!

Thank you very much for your kind words!
Greatly appreciate your support and your diligent research.
Look forward to meeting and going on group rides next time we are in Toronto.

@Ravi, Can these bikes be fitted with enviolo automatiq ?
Thanks

Yes, they can be.
We offer a manual version because it is tried and tested.
The Automatiq version is not for everyone. Some like it, and some don't because everyone has their own preference for cadence. Having said that, Automatiq can be an optional upgrade.

Yes, they can be.
We offer a manual version because it is tried and tested.
The Automatiq version is not for everyone. Some like it, and some don't because everyone has their own preference for cadence. Having said that, Automatiq can be an optional upgrade.
Thanks Ravi for the prompt reply.

Back