Zen Samurai - Built in Canada - shipping since June 2022

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
E-bike enthusiasts and EBR readers,

We are happy to announce that we are ready to accept pre-orders for the Zen Samurai model. A very capable bike that has the Bosch Gen-4 CX/speed motor, dual battery capability, Gates belt drive, internal gear hubs like Enviolo and Rohloff, and other premium components from Magura, Hayes, Supernova etc. The bikes will be assembled here in Halifax, Canada. We believe this bike packs a ton of value and the early bird price reflects that. Compare that to any bike with a belt drive +Bosch Gen-4 system.
The way the pre-order system works is, we request you to get on the list by registering your name on our page: https://zenebikes.com/

Zen Samurai Pre-order.jpg

We provide all the details pertaining to specifications, shipping, geometry, in the next 2 weeks.
On the fourth week of January, we ask that you make a $200 deposit to reserve your build if you would like to purchase the bike. The rest of the payment is made once the bike is ready to ship.
We have raised money through investors and founders and have consciously avoided using crowd-funding campaigns. This is done to maintain the integrity of the company and offer a positive experience to the customers.
It has taken 1.5 years of effort to bring this model into production and resolve all the supply chain hurdles. Deliveries begin June 2022. (We would like to surprise you with early delivery, if possible)

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. We can be reached at [email protected] and we look forward to serving you.
Go to our homepage https://zenebikes.com/ and use the pre-order link shown below.

1641600590693.png

You may see some pictures or read more about the bike in these forum threads below. The production bikes are a bit more refined than the bikes we built in the year 2021.

Initial customer review: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-samurai-diamond-initial-review.40787/

Samurai history: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-samurai-diamond.34290/

Samurai pictures: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/pictures-zen-samurai-diamond-and-wave-designs.40700/

Last edited:
This is great news. Congrats Ravi and team.

A generation 4 (85nm) class 3 Bosch motor with belt drive and Enviolo internally geared hub for $3900? That's a ridiculously good price. I just signed up for a preorder.

Can you tell us anything about the custom suspension seatpost Zen created for the base model?

-Axel

Thank you for the kind words, Axel!
The custom seatpost from Zen works similar to Thudbuster ST and here is a drawing of that seatpost. We have about 300 of these on the way to us. They are on a shipping vessel en route to us.
You may notice some companies offer the basic purion display, simple 100 lumen lights, and no suspension seatpost in that price range. We wanted to offer the best possible value to our riders, so we are upgrading many of these components.

Zen seatpost.PNG

Astounding initial offering, Ravi! The Samurai is the best commuter/trekking bike I've seen below $5k. And I bet you could break your own record with it, too :cool:

At some point I read something about ZEN's amazing 3 year warranty, but can't find anything on the site about it.
Can you clarify - it covers battery motor and components (other than normal wear, of course). Frame?

There was also something about a network of repair locations - 1000+ of them? Wow!

Still can't find where I read that though...

A well thought out machine and a long time coming. Congrats!

The Samurai does not utilize the Bosch Smart System, correct? That would've been perfect, along with the Rohloff.

Also, what are the geometry measurements for the various sizes?

What's the Bosch motor for Zen Samurai? You list both here CX/Speed(no specifics on Zen website). I'm guessing Bosch Gen4 Performance Line Speed for US & CX for Canada. Is the CX with The Smart System? How much is the Bosch Nyon upgrade(from Kiox display)?

Last edited:
At some point I read something about ZEN's amazing 3 year warranty, but can't find anything on the site about it.
Can you clarify - it covers battery motor and components (other than normal wear, of course). Frame?

It is still on the main homepage, Jim.
The warranty covers motor + battery and the frame comes with lifetime warranty.
We revised some of the specifications to higher grade - battery, controller, and it delayed our production of that model.

1641754749750.png

It is still on the main homepage, Jim.
The warranty covers motor + battery and the frame comes with lifetime warranty.
We revised some of the specifications to higher grade - battery, controller, and it delayed our production of that model.

View attachment 111433
Awesome! Might be good to get the warranty details up soon - it's one of the first pages I read when looking at consumer-direct bike sites.

FWIW your About Us page is VERY impressive!

We would have a few bikes ready for test rides in the Ashburn area where one of our founders lives.
Congratulations. Well done. The name is so good; the name is concise, descriptive, evocative. Designed by riders of discernment for riders of discernment. This shows at every level from the big wholistic integrated overview, down to the granular details, such as the selection of Super Moto-X tires. I can tell that this bike is much more than cobbled specifications. It is about the riding and ownership experience. Getting to Zen is not as easy as Zen's apparent simplicity when achieved.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, Axel!
The custom seatpost from Zen works similar to Thudbuster ST and here is a drawing of that seatpost. We have about 300 of these on the way to us. They are on a shipping vessel en route to us.

View attachment 111353
The Samurai looks like an awesome bike. This seatpost is a private-labeled Satori Animaris, yes? Thats pretty much my favorite budget suspension post. Adjustable for pre-load and worked well for me with a body weight of 250 lbs. Its arms did not loosen up or get wobbly over time. They did start cranking up the price on them and the one I paid $49 for is now about double that. If you can find one. You could make a tidy profit just selling these if you can get a regular supply of them.

Great looking bike. A few questions:
1) can you comment on the sizes? Any sizing chart to help select the appropriate one?
2) Top speed?
3) Is there a throttle?
4) Is the deposit refundable if plans change?

Thanks in advance!

Great looking bike. A few questions:
1) can you comment on the sizes? Any sizing chart to help select the appropriate one?
2) Top speed?
3) Is there a throttle?
4) Is the deposit refundable if plans change?

Thanks in advance!
  1. Available sizes - S, M, L, and XL
  2. The top speed is 28mph
  3. Bosch bikes do not come with a throttle and this is true for other brands like Trek, Cannondale, Tern
  4. Yes, it is refundable but we would like to minimize any last-minute changes.
    I think we can quickly figure that out within a few days.

1. Available sizes - S, M, L, and XL
  2. The top speed is 28mph
  3. Bosch bikes do not come with a throttle and this is true for other brands like Trek, Cannondale, Tern
  4. Yes, it is refundable but we would like to minimize any last-minute changes.
    I think we can quickly figure that out within a few days.
Thanks the replies to the questions. Regarding the sizes, do you have a sizing chart? I am trying to figure out what size would be best for me (~5'10").

Thanks the replies to the questions. Regarding the sizes, do you have a sizing chart? I am trying to figure out what size would be best for me (~5'10").

You should go with the medium and you will be pleased with it.
Since the bike comes with an adjustable stem and suspension seatpost, you can dial it precisely for your comfort.

Back