Zen Photon Pro- Preorder | 1040Wh UL Certified battery | 500W nominal/900W peak power Torque-sensing motor w/ Throttle | USD 2999 | CAD 3999

Summary, don't get technical advice from inappropriate internet forums. The devil is in the details… there are a lot of details… the details are left as an additional exercise for the user. More people are harmed by bad advise than anything else.
That's why my information is sourced from cell manufacturer data sheets.
Not sure it's necessary for every user to go through that trouble as the accepted practice of keeping the battery in its happy mid range when possible is widely accepted as best practice. The only thing I would add to that is a battery is replaceable so I wouldn't let best practices interfere with necessity or having fun.

Samsung 35E.. Probably one of the most popular reliable cells.

Screenshot_20240527_173924_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back in the saddle, and it's really great. So heartening to hear about this long distance action. I assume they've sorted out BMS low voltage cutoff action -- that's a weird thing to get arguing about. Heck they have 2 charge modes and that too is somewhat unusual(unique to me--hasn't been on bikes I've ridden). Currently wind gusts here have been 60km/h all week, but I've still gone out -- just not that great a distance yet, and a bit higher PAS(2-3). I found it super easy to dial in the comfort. Tried the Brooks C19 Saddle I intended to use. NOPE...we've gone many thousands of km together, but we won't be on this bike.

I'm back in the saddle, and it's really great. So heartening to hear about this long distance action. I assume they've sorted out BMS low voltage cutoff action -- that's a weird thing to get arguing about. Heck they have 2 charge modes and that too is somewhat unusual(unique to me--hasn't been on bikes I've ridden). Currently wind gusts here have been 60km/h all week, but I've still gone out -- just not that great a distance yet, and a bit higher PAS(2-3). I found it super easy to dial in the comfort. Tried the Brooks C19 Saddle I intended to use. NOPE...we've gone many thousands of km together, but we won't be on this bike.

Awesome.
I am glad you're enjoying your bike. To our knowledge, Zen and another brand in Switzerland - Flyer are on the only brands to have two different charge modes built into the bike BMS.

However, riding below 5% is dangerous for the battery and electronics,
The cells used in Photon Pure and Photon Pro models are 21700 format - Samsung 50G. The BMS was designed to meet UL-2271, and our packs have assed full UL-2271 testing. Multiple layers of protection are built into the battery pack, and you can ride it all the way to 0%. The only thing is not to leave them at 0% or 100%. It's best to keep them at 50% if you're storing them.

One thing I have noted in these heavy prairie winds: There's a whistle somewhere on the bike. At first I thought it was from the motor, but no. Removed the rear wheel reflector, and still no. seems my search continues. No such noise whatsoever in low wind. Not a big deal, I'll find it eventually.

I finally got my Photon after a very long wait. Somehow my tracking and shipping info got screwed up and I had to have an email chain with Zen and the shipping company to get it resolved. The delay lasted long enough that I almost thought it got stolen or something like that. The tracking never ended up working either which was another annoyance. When it arrived the box was in rough shape and had a bulging side(fortunately it was the front wheel spot) and a few gashs that never made it completely through the cardboard.

There was minor damage to the bike, some small scratches at the bottle cage bolts, and the plastic end cap for the right side grip was broken into pieces. It was minor enough that I am not sure if contacting Zen would be worth it. Assembly was easy enough, though I got confused at installing the front bike tire, the video showed the quick-release skewer and not the adapter the photon was using.

My First impression: Big, very big. I am coming from 20" Ariel Rider M-Class e-bike and the Photon dwarfs it.
Riding it: Smooth, easy and powerful. I feel gigantic riding it and the adjustment is going to take a bit of time but I can already tell I like it. Not sure I like the Enviolo CVT drive, it feels harder to switch gears quickly, and dialing in the sweet spot can take a bit of time. I did notice the motor has a high-pitched whine when I am pushing it above 20mph or so which irritates me a bit. It is still quiet but the high pitch makes for a penetrating sound.

Edit: Does anybody know if a loose belt drive will slip a gear under hard acceleration? I decided to go for a nice, long break in the bike ride and I tested it under different conditions. When I decided to see how fast I could push on max assist 5 I got up to 28mph or so before a sudden slippage happened and I lost momentum. I decided to see if I could replicate it and the same thing happened, just at a slightly higher speed. I know the belt drive on my bike is roughly 32# according to my kricket and Gates recommends 40# or so.

Last edited:
I finally got my Photon after a very long wait. Somehow my tracking and shipping info got screwed up and I had to have an email chain with Zen and the shipping company to get it resolved. The delay lasted long enough that I almost thought it got stolen or something like that. The tracking never ended up working either which was another annoyance. When it arrived the box was in rough shape and had a bulging side(fortunately it was the front wheel spot) and a few gashs that never made it completely through the cardboard.

There was minor damage to the bike, some small scratches at the bottle cage bolts, and the plastic end cap for the right side grip was broken into pieces. It was minor enough that I am not sure if contacting Zen would be worth it. Assembly was easy enough, though I got confused at installing the front bike tire, the video showed the quick-release skewer and not the adapter the photon was using.

My First impression: Big, very big. I am coming from 20" Ariel Rider M-Class e-bike and the Photon dwarfs it.
Riding it: Smooth, easy and powerful. I feel gigantic riding it and the adjustment is going to take a bit of time but I can already tell I like it. Not sure I like the Enviolo CVT drive, it feels harder to switch gears quickly, and dialing in the sweet spot can take a bit of time. I did notice the motor has a high-pitched whine when I am pushing it above 20mph or so which irritates me a bit. It is still quiet but the high pitch makes for a penetrating sound.

Edit: Does anybody know if a loose belt drive will slip a gear under hard acceleration? I decided to go for a nice, long break in the bike ride and I tested it under different conditions. When I decided to see how fast I could push on max assist 5 I got up to 28mph or so before a sudden slippage happened and I lost momentum. I decided to see if I could replicate it and the same thing happened, just at a slightly higher speed. I know the belt drive on my bike is roughly 32# according to my kricket and Gates recommends 40# or so.
I agree. I don't like the manual shift, because it seems to have to be done in increments. Especially getting into the highest gear. I'm hoping to upgrade to the Automatiq the minute the bugs get worked out with it.

Yeah, that high pitched whine is the same thing I'm hearing and struggling to zero in on, probably. I'm assuming it's a whistle...somewhere down towards the cranks as far as I can tell. I wonder if it's maybe some part of the motor casing?

And yes, from having ridden other belt drives, it will slip if it's too loose...especially if you are in a high gear and on high assist.

I agree. I don't like the manual shift, because it seems to have to be done in increments. Especially getting into the highest gear. I'm hoping to upgrade to the Automatiq the minute the bugs get worked out with it.

Yeah, that high pitched whine is the same thing I'm hearing and struggling to zero in on, probably. I'm assuming it's a whistle...somewhere down towards the cranks as far as I can tell. I wonder if it's maybe some part of the motor casing?

And yes, from having ridden other belt drives, it will slip if it's too loose...especially if you are in a high gear and on high assist.
I wonder how much that would cost to upgrade to the Automatiq and how easy would it be to switch over to it. I sent an email to Zen today asking them how to adjust the belt drive for the Photon, looking at the bike I can't find the belt tension screws that are commonly used to fine-tune the belt drive. It's also interesting how they have control arms attached to the frame and then those control arms are attached to the rear wheel instead of having the wheel attached to the frame like normal. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, seems like it could be a potential failure point.

Retrofitting the automatiq is farly easy.
Enviolo has several videos on the process, and there is a thread on this site with someone who did it on a riese & Mueller

That's one good-looking bike! From a distance, looks kinda like my black-on-white Surface 604 V Rook.

View attachment 177631
I apparently have a type in bikes.
I like the config! I'm currently struggling to find a second place for a proper bottle mount. Have a folding lock, and with the bottle cage...nowhere to mount it. If I add the pannier and a cage there... You've given me great ideas. Thank you!

Well, this is interesting. I emailed [email protected] twice with my belt drive tension question and still haven't received a response. I also asked how to adjust the seat suspension because I hadn't figured it out.
Yeah, I think their team is stretched a little thin from what I'm seeing. Am waiting on the extra battery I ordered with the bike, but I'm being patient. Been in worse situations thanks to supply chain fun over the pandy, like waiting 18 months for a replacement controller on a previous (not Zen) ebike. A couple of weeks here or there, I'm not too bothered by these days.

Yeah, I think their team is stretched a little thin from what I'm seeing. ….
Definitely. Website still reporting Shipping in April. Waiting for stock on hand for bikes and batteries, and some more reviews. Interesting bike, but i can wait.

Well, this is interesting. I emailed [email protected] twice with my belt drive tension question and still haven't received a response. I also asked how to adjust the seat suspension because I hadn't figured it out.
I believe we connected last week, and our service personnel might have spoken with you regarding the belt tension.
Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

@DrewInSK ,
Thanks for sharing your picture. We have not forgotten to ship your battery order.
It is just that we had a large shipment get stuck at the border by customs, and we had to deal with an online fraud (by a company in Montreal) that cost our company $35,000 in bike inventory. So, we lost a lot of items and we were stretched thin and could not respond right away.

Definitely. Website still reporting Shipping in April. Waiting for stock on hand for bikes and batteries, and some more reviews. Interesting bike, but i can wait.
We are sold out of all our first batch and we are waiting for the second shipment of frames to Arrive in late August.
We have made some improvements to our next batch.

1719186844873.png

I believe we connected last week, and our service personnel might have spoken with you regarding the belt tension.
Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

@DrewInSK ,
Thanks for sharing your picture. We have not forgotten to ship your battery order.
It is just that we had a large shipment get stuck at the border by customs, and we had to deal with an online fraud (by a company in Montreal) that cost our company $35,000 in bike inventory. So, we lost a lot of items and we were stretched thin and could not respond right away.

We are sold out of all our first batch and we are waiting for the second shipment of frames to Arrive in late August.
We have made some improvements to our next batch.
Shoot! I'm really sorry to hear about that. I figured it had to be something. Y'all were right on top of things when there weren't these issues. Fraudsters of all things, wow that really stinks. Thank you for being so transparent.

Heh, I saw the mention of the new motor in the other thread. Colour me jealous! :) But given I've not yet gone beyond PAS3, I guess not that jealous....yet. Now if suddenly you're doing that and a purple or orange colorway as stock, then I might be in trouble. :p

Is the automatiq upgrade still in testing/is there an updated timeline?

Back