Roadster V2 Gravel Edition

Mine (Gravel) is still at Fedex Troutdale (OR). I also have a V2 roadster now. Fits me perfect and I can climb some pretty good hills. Will try doing the Crown Point climb that someone thinks can't be done on a single speed (have on an analog bike in the past) - either with the V2 (probably) or the gravel.

The gravel is and will end up being heavier - front suspension stem, extender battery (if it ever gets here) and a suspension seat post from one of my other bikes. So even with its lower gear range it actually may not be as good on inclines as the V2 Roadster with the way I'll have it set up. We'll see.

Last edited:
Took it into the shop (I didn't have calipers), it was mildly bent. They couldn't fix it on the spot, but managed to ~30 minutes after I had left. I picked it up this morning, have only ridden it the ~2ish miles back from the shop (I also rode it the way there, but that was without a seatpost, so wasn't that representative).

Brief thoughts are:

* Handlebars are narrower than I would like, and I don't particularly like the stock grips (they are too hard --- it might be fine if I wore riding gloves w/ gel padded soles, but I had no gloves on). I was already vaguely planning on switching the handlebars to drops or something, how narrow they are reinforces this decision for me.
* Handlebars are also lower than I would like. I'm 6'4", and was somewhat worried about a 58cm frame (I normally get a 61cm). The bike is a little small, but it's manageable. In particular the seat goes high enough that I get good leg extension --- main issue is with handlebar placement.
* I've only ridden on mostly flat surfaces so far. That being said, I can (somewhat) feel the only single gear choice --- a few times I feel the urge to shift to a higher gear, but that's clearly not an option. I was comfortably getting to ~21ish mph before feeling that though.

That all being said, it's probably fine for my current purposes (mostly groceries, <5 mile trips). I used to commute ~15 miles each way though, and I think it would be the wrong bike for something like that, mainly because I think I would get annoyed being in the saddle of this bike an hour at a time. Swapping out the handlebars might help with that though, but also I don't plan to use this bike for such long trips, so that doesn't really matter to me.
For my Roadster, I changed to better, more padded grips, and gel gloves, and made a huge difference in comfort.

Regarding the single speed, I originally was concerned about not having gears... but after 2k+ miles, now I much prefer the single gear belt smoothness, quiet, and find that I'm often up and out of the saddle (which is better for my fitness, and body position varying).

To be honest, when I ride my other ebike with gears and throttle, I feel like I'm cheating, and lazy. And it's just not as fun, as the belt, lightweight bike!

Mine (Gravel) is still at Fedex Troutdale (OR). I also have a V2 roadster now. Fits me perfect and I can climb some pretty good hills. Will try doing the Crown Point climb that someone thinks can't be done on a single speed (have on an analog bike in the past) - either with the V2 (probably) or the gravel.

The gravel is and will end up being heavier - front suspension stem, extender battery (if it ever gets here) and a suspension seat post from one of my other bikes. So even with its lower gear range it actually may not be as good on inclines as the V2 Roadster with the way I'll have it set up. We'll see.
Nice! I'm jealous, but can't justify the Gravelster since I already have the Roadster and two other ebikes. But going to order the extended battery.

Will be interested to see how you do with the Climb. I've found that I'm able to do just about any climb, by getting out of the saddle, staying smooth, and making sure my belt is properly tensioned by using the Kricket tool so I don't get belt slippage.

A pleasant surprise today, my Gravel arrived AND so did the battery extender (still in the box). Everything went together fine - no issues. The front wheel might be a bit out of true but I'll deal with that if it actually is.

I have the Roadster V2 as well and I really like it. That's why I sprang for the "Gravelster". I ride both pavement and gravel, so it kind of made sense to me to have both. Weather was good so I was able to ride both over the same 10 mile route that includes flat streets, mild to moderate inclines and one short (.2 mile) bear. So a REALLY PRELIMINARY comparison is in order. Might do more as I get more miles on each.
WEIGHT - Same measuring device. 52cm both bikes. The Gravel, surprisingly to me, only weights a # more (33# vs 32#).
GEOMETRY/LOOKS - There are differences - some obvious and well known (Gates, disc) and a couple subtle (the top tube on the gravel slightly drops from front to back while the V2 is basically straight and the finish on the gravel is not clear coated so one can debadge the 1UP if desired). While the weight is close, the gravel just looks and feels bigger - probably the tires and wider rims.
RIDE - Starting and thru the lower speeds the slightly lower geared gravel was easier to ride even with the larger tires. As the speed increases the difference was nothing with the V2 actually better at over 20mph. One actually may get better range with the gravel if rode under 18mph. I found that I could ride with no assist much more on the gravel at lower speeds. But when the inclines started getting steeper the larger tires negated the gearing in my opinion. The V2 was much easier to ride up that .2 of a mile bear where I'm out of the saddle for a great portion of it.
The V2 is much more nimble, not that the gravel is bad. Just not as agile as the V2. If I'm just jumping on one of the bikes to take a 10-20 mile paved road ride - the V2. Gravel mild single track, rail to trail, forest roads - the Gravel. Like them both. Different tools. Did your bike come Taylor?

P1123307.JPGP1123310.JPGP1123311.JPGP1123312.JPGP1123313.JPG

A pleasant surprise today, my Gravel arrived AND so did the battery extender (still in the box). Everything went together fine - no issues. The front wheel might be a bit out of true but I'll deal with that if it actually is.

I have the Roadster V2 as well and I really like it. That's why I sprang for the "Gravelster". I ride both pavement and gravel, so it kind of made sense to me to have both. Weather was good so I was able to ride both over the same 10 mile route that includes flat streets, mild to moderate inclines and one short (.2 mile) bear. So a REALLY PRELIMINARY comparison is in order. Might do more as I get more miles on each.
WEIGHT - Same measuring device. 52cm both bikes. The Gravel, surprisingly to me, only weights a # more (33# vs 32#).
GEOMETRY/LOOKS - There are differences - some obvious and well known (Gates, disc) and a couple subtle (the top tube on the gravel slightly drops from front to back while the V2 is basically straight and the finish on the gravel is not clear coated so one can debadge the 1UP if desired). While the weight is close, the gravel just looks and feels bigger - probably the tires and wider rims.
RIDE - Starting and thru the lower speeds the slightly lower geared gravel was easier to ride even with the larger tires. As the speed increases the difference was nothing with the V2 actually better at over 20mph. One actually may get better range with the gravel if rode under 18mph. I found that I could ride with no assist much more on the gravel at lower speeds. But when the inclines started getting steeper the larger tires negated the gearing in my opinion. The V2 was much easier to ride up that .2 of a mile bear where I'm out of the saddle for a great portion of it.
The V2 is much more nimble, not that the gravel is bad. Just not as agile as the V2. If I'm just jumping on one of the bikes to take a 10-20 mile paved road ride - the V2. Gravel mild single track, rail to trail, forest roads - the Gravel. Like them both. Different tools. Did your bike come Taylor?

View attachment 111688View attachment 111689View attachment 111690View attachment 111691View attachment 111692
Still held hostage in Auburn WA. I may buy another just to see if it show up quicker in Palm Springs...

Total bummer going to the Fed X tracking and no action. Bike has been a few miles away for over a week. I wish I had a truck. Just checked FED X. It is supposed to be delivered today!!

Well, I couldn't resist! Since they are in stock, I order a Gravelster for Palm Springs. Should be here Thursday. N+1

View attachment 111688View attachment 111689View attachment 111690View attachment 111691View attachment 111692
Just curious Orek, how hard is it to install the 2nd battery in the water bottle holder?

Had the boy weigh the Gravelster twice. 36 lbs. Disappointing. I will weight mine when it arrives Thurs or Fri...

Had the boy weigh the Gravelster twice. 36 lbs. Disappointing. I will weight mine when it arrives Thurs or Fri...
Interesting. Mine is the smaller sized one (52cm). Yours? Not that sure how accurate my scale is. Was more a test to see the difference between the two. I'm away for awhile but will weight both on a more accurate scale when I get back.

Haven't put on the battery extender yet.

Interesting. Mine is the smaller sized one (52cm). Yours? Not that sure how accurate my scale is. Was more a test to see the difference between the two. I'm away for awhile but will weight both on a more accurate scale when I get back.

Haven't put on the battery extender yet.
We have the 52cm as well. I had him weigh it twice. My 2nd Gravelster is supposed to be here Wed or Thursday and I will weigh that one myself...

Getting excited. Does anyone know if this Topeak rack will fit my new Gravelster?

I ended up swapping out my stem for a redshift stem as well. The stock setup is much too short (handlebars are nearly 1inch shorter vertically than my other bikes) for it to be comfortable for me --- I'm 6'4" and typically ride 61cm frames. Just including this update to say that it ended up working, specifically the 30 degree 100mm redshift stem regains that ~1inch of vertical distance, and the bike is relatively comfortable to ride, even for someone used to a 61cm frame.

I ended up swapping out my stem for a redshift stem as well. The stock setup is much too short (handlebars are nearly 1inch shorter vertically than my other bikes) for it to be comfortable for me --- I'm 6'4" and typically ride 61cm frames. Just including this update to say that it ended up working, specifically the 30 degree 100mm redshift stem regains that ~1inch of vertical distance, and the bike is relatively comfortable to ride, even for someone used to a 61cm frame.
My new Gravelster was supposed to arrive today, but it was pushed back a day. I guess I will be doing bike assembly tomorrow! I'm going to ride it and then decide if I want to add Redshift stem and seat post...

Initial thoughts after riding around the block. The bike is very quiet with the belt drive. I also could not hear any battery hum. I started with no pedal assist and it rode very smoothly but I was going slightly downhill. Once I got on flat/slight incline I started using PAS just to make sure everything worked. After spending a few minutes riding here are my thoughts:
1. Compared to my Espin Sport, it doesnt feel as safe or stable. Possibly due to the very narrow handlebars and skinny tires?

2. This is the 2nd Gravelster I have purchased and am disappointed as both weigh in at 36 lbs. (advertised at 32 or 33)

3. The mechanical brakes are meh, especially the back brakes. Would be tough to come to a quick stop from speed.

4. Could really use a kickstand.

So, it looks like I will be looking for new handlebars, a kickstand and better brakes. I may even buy the Redshift stem.

Update after 4pm ride:

Pumped the tires up to about 70 and secured the quick release on the front tire correctly. There was a wine coming from front tire/front brake for awhile but after a few power stops, all whining stopped. Liking the Gravelster a little more and it is very easy to ride. I am used to a throttle where you can just give it a quick blast and away you go. No big deal. This will become my workout bike. It does require pedaling as I was getting too comfortable with PAS 3 and light pedaling on Sport. Will definitely be getting more ergonomical grips and my Suntour seat post has already been ordered from Ali Expresss. Was able to get up to 20 mph on flat ground with no pedal assist. Did not try for max on level 5 although level 5 came in very handy on a fairly steep hill in my neighborhood. The brakes are decent. They seemed to have a little more grab on this longer ride...

Attachments

• Assembled.jpg
    Assembled.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Back