Roadster V2 Gravel Edition

I emailed Ride 1 Up to see how I get a couple of throttles for my Gravelsters. I have a dealer a few miles down the road that could surely install them...

I emailed Ride 1 Up to see how I get a couple of throttles for my Gravelsters. I have a dealer a few miles down the road that could surely install them...
If it’s like the install of my EggRider display, would be just unplug one connector and replug in connector of new display, so no dealer needed :)

I’m impressed by the continual improvements that Ride1UP makes to their bikes. The Roadster non-gravel now comes with a belt snubber to minimize belt slipping (not a problem for me, but some had the issue).

If it’s like the install of my EggRider display, would be just unplug one connector and replug in connector of new display, so no dealer needed :)

I’m impressed by the continual improvements that Ride1UP makes to their bikes. The Roadster non-gravel now comes with a belt snubber to minimize belt slipping (not a problem for me, but some had the issue).
If it's that easy, that would be awesome. The addition of the water bottle extra battery to Gravel Boy seemed like a really tight fit and some potential drama...

Just did my first 8 mile ride and I really like it. The throttle has a bit of a delay and I can see myself switching to the sw102 without the throttle just so I don't give in to temptation and save power.
I did a few starts from a stop without using the throttle in pas 3 and that seems more than enough for me. So far 8 miles in and I have lost one bar on the battery indicator.

Reactions: PSm
Just did my first 8 mile ride and I really like it. The throttle has a bit of a delay and I can see myself switching to the sw102 without the throttle just so I don't give in to temptation and save power.
I did a few starts from a stop without using the throttle in pas 3 and that seems more than enough for me. So far 8 miles in and I have lost one bar on the battery indicator.
Jimmy, did your Gravelster come from Ride 1 Up with the throttle installed?

The more you ride it, and once you have it dialed in, the more you’ll love it I think :)

Seems like you may be like me, and want to get a lot of exercise, which helps with the battery conservation. With my non-Gravel Roadster, which understandably has lower rolling resistance tires and maybe a little less weight, I started out getting maybe 25-30 mile range. But after getting used to it, training, low rolling resistance tires, studying the best aero position, turning motor off or to PAS 1 when possible, was able to stretch it out to a 60 mile ride (internal battery only).

Last edited:
The more you ride it, and once you have it dialed in, the more you’ll love it I think :)

Seems like you may be like me, and want to get a lot of exercise, which helps with the battery conservation. With my non-Gravel Roadster, which understandably has lower rolling resistance tires and maybe a little less weight, I started out getting maybe 25-30 mile range. But after getting used to it, training, low rolling resistance tires, studying the best aero position, turning motor off or to PAS 1 when possible, was able to stretch it out to a 60 mile ride (internal battery only).
I see a tire change coming soon, the WTB Resolute tires are loud. I have some Kenda Drumlins on my Core 5 and they roll nice and quiet.
I also see myself going for as much range as possible, so far today I put 16 miles on it with a mixture of 1 thru 5 Pas just feeling the bike out and ended up with 2 bars left.
From the ride today I can see myself staying on pas 1 most of the time as I was maintaining about 16mph on that setting. I think the Gravelster is geared just right for me and it is so freeing not thinking about shifting.

I see a tire change coming soon, the WTB Resolute tires are loud. I have some Kenda Drumlins on my Core 5 and they roll nice and quiet.
I also see myself going for as much range as possible, so far today I put 16 miles on it with a mixture of 1 thru 5 Pas just feeling the bike out and ended up with 2 bars left.
From the ride today I can see myself staying on pas 1 most of the time as I was maintaining about 16mph on that setting. I think the Gravelster is geared just right for me and it is so freeing not thinking about shifting.
💯%

Sweet. Impressed that they keep upgrading their models, and you got one with a throttle. I’m not sure I trust or want to deal with the hassle of Aliexpress, but I may be interested in picking one up when they hopefully become available from Ride1UP directly. Even though I really don’t “need” it :)

I just emailed them this morning and got a response this afternoon asking if the old display without the throttle will work with my bike and I was told it will so I think it is as easy as swapping out the display.
I got an email from them this afternoon indicating the new throttle for the Gravelster is not "live" yet with Ride 1 Up and that there "are some in the wild". I found the exact set up on Aliexpress for a 100 bucks which sounds pretty pricey for a tiny display and thumb throttle. My guess is they sell them for 150-200. Would have been nice to get one with one of my Gravel boys...

I got an email from them this afternoon indicating the new throttle for the Gravelster is not "live" yet with Ride 1 Up and that there "are some in the wild". I found the exact set up on Aliexpress for a 100 bucks which sounds pretty pricey for a tiny display and thumb throttle. My guess is they sell them for 150-200. Would have been nice to get one with one of my Gravel boys...
To me it is not worth it with the size of the battery it has and there is a second of delay after you press down on it. I honestly like the minimalist look of the Sw102 it originally came with.
The bike itself rides nice and smooth and this motor seriously quiet. The gravel tires on pavement make more noise than the motor.

To me it is not worth it with the size of the battery it has and there is a second of delay after you press down on it. I honestly like the minimalist look of the Sw102 it originally came with.
The bike itself rides nice and smooth and this motor seriously quiet. The gravel tires on pavement make more noise than the motor.
Good point. I love the size of the SW102 (which is essentially the same as my EggRider display, but with the advanced firmware and features).

And so quiet, compared to the Specialized e-bikes I see around are so much louder.

Back