Roadster V2 Gravel Edition

Not crazy about having to stuff wires and the controller in that small space. Somethings outa whack with the design. Im gunna stick with my original battery and when it runs out I will pedal or push...
This looks a lot easier than having to swap out the controller on the Core 5 or 500 which I have had to do.

So do any of you guys miss having a throttle when riding your Gravelster?
No way! I rode one of my other ebikes the other day (gears, chain, throttle), and I felt like a lazy SOB. Roadster/Gravelster makes you a fitter rider and forces you to really exercise and build strength. And so much fun! Rarely want to ride anything else.

But if you are unable to exert the energy due to fitness or health reasons, or interested more in a scooter like ride ... sure, throttle is the way to go.

Last edited:
First ride in awhile on the Gravelster. A couple of things:

1. I'm getting new handlebars and grips. Also the position of the warning bell next to the front brake lever is annoying.

2. I am definitely getting a Redshift suspension stem with the 30 degree tilt. I have it on my ESPIN Sport and love it.

3. Was not crazy about the seat comfort. I may put on a new seat and Topeak rack. (see pic)

4. The display is unreadable even without my Polarized sunglasses. ( I had it in PAS 1 and 2 most of the ride)

5. It is virtually impossible to read the inflation instructions written on the yellowish brown portion of the tire. I guessed 60 psi!

On the plus side, the bike rode very quietly and smoothly. The brakes were very responsive and I heard not one squeal. I did have it in to the LBS (Ride 1 UP dealer) for a tune up this summer and this was my first real test ride since I got it out of the shop.

Attachments

• Gravel Topeak.jpg
    Gravel Topeak.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 144
I have ridden the Gravelster for 3 straight days and it rides like a dream. I seem to like cruising on flat ground/bike paths on PAS level 2 and riding at approx 13-15 mph. (I cant read the display due to my polarized glasses and sunlight) It rides quietly and nimbly with very little excess noise. I really don't miss a throttle. Yes, I said it.

I have added the Redshift suspension stem and new handlebars and grips and they make a world of difference. Today I even added my Topeak bag and didn't notice any change in ride performance. ( It probably weights over 10lbs with my Ulock and gear) Our weather here in Palm Springs is starting to change for the better and I'm looking forward to some longer treks including taking it all the way up to the Aerial Tram Valley station at 2600 feet above sea level. (Palm Springs is at 479 feet above)

Attachments

• Gravel w Sport.jpg
    Gravel w Sport.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 256
Well I finally pulled the trigger on the Gravelster and it should be here in a week or so. Everyone here still happy with theirs?

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the Gravelster and it should be here in a week or so. Everyone here still happy with theirs?
Very happy. You'll love it I believe. I have both the original Roadster and the Gravel. For just jumping on one of them for a quick 6 mile ride or on paved bikeways/streets/roads I do prefer the Roadster. But the Gravel got the extender battery and the gravel is better on gravel/hard pack dirt. I also changed out the 22 rear tooth cog to a 24 tooth cog. This will and has allowed me to increase the distance I ride w/o any assistance. Both of these bikes are really easy to ride. I did have some minor front wheel truing issues on both of them - no big deal. Also took a while to get the brakes bedded but are fine now. After some tweaks I have both really dialed in for me now. I like these two bikes and they climb better than I expected. Ride1Up has been decent to deal with also.
I've always been a fan of single speeds and their simplicity. In fact I have a non-ebike single speed that I use for conditioning and single tracks (different rear cogs for the task). But boy is it easier riding getting off the non-ebike single speed and then jumping on these two!!!!

Very happy. You'll love it I believe. I have both the original Roadster and the Gravel. For just jumping on one of them for a quick 6 mile ride or on paved bikeways/streets/roads I do prefer the Roadster. But the Gravel got the extender battery and the gravel is better on gravel/hard pack dirt. I also changed out the 22 rear tooth cog to a 24 tooth cog. This will and has allowed me to increase the distance I ride w/o any assistance. Both of these bikes are really easy to ride. I did have some minor front wheel truing issues on both of them - no big deal. Also took a while to get the brakes bedded but are fine now. After some tweaks I have both really dialed in for me now. I like these two bikes and they climb better than I expected. Ride1Up has been decent to deal with also.
I've always been a fan of single speeds and their simplicity. In fact I have a non-ebike single speed that I use for conditioning and single tracks (different rear cogs for the task). But boy is it easier riding getting off the non-ebike single speed and then jumping on these two!!!!
I do plan on getting the battery add on and swapping out the brake cables with jagwire cables then adding juintech caliphers.
I have a Core 5 now with almost 9,000 miles on it and I have been riding it in 5th gear and keeping the watts under 500 in preparation for riding the Gravel and that is working just fine for where I ride. I know the weight difference will come into play also so I am excited to start riding it soon.

I do plan on getting the battery add on and swapping out the brake cables with jagwire cables then adding juintech caliphers.
I have a Core 5 now with almost 9,000 miles on it and I have been riding it in 5th gear and keeping the watts under 500 in preparation for riding the Gravel and that is working just fine for where I ride. I know the weight difference will come into play also so I am excited to start riding it soon.
Would be really interested in your impressions of your brake system swap out. To me the OEM gravel brakes are pretty weak.

Anyone break their back wheel on their Gravelster? My son hit a curb and the back rim is shot. Ride 1 UP does not have or sell just the replacement wheel-you need to buy the complete wheel assembly with hub motor attached for $340. My son bought the same size wheel on Amazon but because of the size of the spokes, it will not work. Any ideas out there? He was thinking there is such a thing as special nipples that fit bigger gauge spokes to regular rims?

Anyone break their back wheel on their Gravelster? My son hit a curb and the back rim is shot. Ride 1 UP does not have or sell just the replacement wheel-you need to buy the complete wheel assembly with hub motor attached for $340. My son bought the same size wheel on Amazon but because of the size of the spokes, it will not work. Any ideas out there? He was thinking there is such a thing as special nipples that fit bigger gauge spokes to regular rims?
Maybe check with Grin? They build complete wheels so I think they could help with a rim and spokes since all they do is hub motors.

Gravelster has arrived in perfect condition and a different display with an integrated throttle.

Attachments

• 20230112_080245.jpg
    20230112_080245.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 132
Gravelster has arrived in perfect condition and a different display with an integrated throttle.
Woah, cool. Though I don’t usually miss a throttle, and prefer the aftermarket customizability of the aftermarket EggRider display, having a throttle available could be handy sometimes (getting started from a stoplight, if stopped on a hill, or if belt ever broke).

Imagine that the new display might eventually available from Ride1UP, assuming they get enough replacements in stock.

Woah, cool. Though I don’t usually miss a throttle, and prefer the aftermarket customizability of the aftermarket EggRider display, having a throttle available could be handy sometimes (getting started from a stoplight, if stopped on a hill, or if belt ever broke).

Imagine that the new display might eventually available from Ride1UP, assuming they get enough replacements in stock.
Wonder if it is an aftermarket throttle or direct from Ride 1 UP? I looked on their website and don't see the throttle option...

Wonder if it is an aftermarket throttle or direct from Ride 1 UP? I looked on their website and They seem to be slowly rolling this out. Someone in the FB group reached out and Ride1up told them they are working on offering a throttle to owners that don't have one.

Back