Roadster V2 Gravel Edition

Ha! OK thanks.. I knew there was a way.. I can't find any info about that display like how to get into settings and stuff.. But the light thing is CRUCIAL.
I'm at work and don't get off for another 3 hours.. Can't wait!!! First real ride this afternoon!!
I don't know about getting into the settings on that display but I haven't needed to change anything anyway. To me it is just right right out of the box.

Ha! OK thanks.. I knew there was a way.. I can't find any info about that display like how to get into settings and stuff.. But the light thing is CRUCIAL.
I'm at work and don't get off for another 3 hours.. Can't wait!!! First real ride this afternoon!!
Some basic information on the Ride1up website.
Enjoy your new bike.

Some basic information on the Ride1up website.
Enjoy your new bike.
Also found this manual. If this is for the Ride1up display it looks like you can program assist levels.

Maybe some of you already know this but - For those of us with the "older" displays I noticed something today fiddling with the settings. If you go into settings/speed you can adjust the speed up or down (pushing the arrow buttons) from the OEM 40km (24+mph). If you set it at 32km (19+mph) for class 1 it will default back to 40km if you then just turn the display off. But if you go out of speed and back to the settings menu then hit exit it will still be at 32km when you shut off the bike and then turn it back on (actually I don't think you even need to hit exit). Now I haven't been able to check if it actually drops power or increases it if you enter a higher speed setting. I had asked Ride1Up if one could adjust the speed settings and they said no. But maybe you actually can, we'll see.
Personally I would like this as I take one of my bikes (I have both) in my van wandering around the country. Would be nice to have a class 1 where required. Plus these bikes are so easy to ride that having the power cut out at 20mph would be fine with me (save the battery) and I really don't care if I have a throttle. If setting it at 32km means nothing to the controller, at least one could show it was set at 32km if asked. But you'll have to debadge the front emblem which I do anyway.

@Taylor57

Since you and I have similar tastes in bikes, how are the Roadsters?

Trying to decide between that and the Rize Fixie (which is cheaper right now and has hydraulic brakes).

@Taylor57

Trying to decide between that and the Rize Fixie (which is cheaper right now and has hydraulic brakes).
Maybe I can help a little. I have both the regular Roadster and the Gravel (plus a non-ebike single speed - I like SS's). My neighbor has the Rize Fixie which I have ridden, though not for any extended distance. I MUCH prefer the Roadsters and actually so does he. A couple of things he (and I) don't like about the Fixie is in level 1 the assist is almost nothing and going to 2 is more then the level 1 of the either of the Roadsters. AND on the Fixie (or least his) the assist cuts out at certain speeds in each level and seems to actually cause some drag when it does. The Roadsters don't. Say you want to hit 20 on the Roadsters you can do it in level 1 if desired (though I have original versions - don't know if that's completely true with new versions that seem to be shipping with throttle and a different controller and display). On the Fixie you'll be in a high PAS level.
The Fixie has lower gearing (58/20 = 77 gear inches) vs the V2 (64/20 = 85 GI) and Gravel (63/22 = 79.5 GI). I have changed out the Gravel to a 24 tooth rear cog (now 73 GI) that helps on climbs plus allows me to ride w/o assist longer. https://www.bikecalc.com/cadence_at_speed. The stock weight of the Fixie and the regular Roadster are about the same with the Gravel being a couple of #'s more. The Gravel also has a higher standover height for the same size - due to the tires I assume.
I really like both of the Roadsters. But if most of my riding was on pavement the regular Roadster would win hands down. I actually prefer the rim brakes. The regular Roadster is so darn simple. Even with the higher gearing but with the slight weight difference and better rolling tires I can climb inclines just as well (maybe even better) vs the Gravel.
So while the Fixie has some good/better attributes, just in my opinion and seeing both, the Roadsters would be my choice. Ride1Up has been pretty good to deal with. I've had no issues with either bike, outside of some front wheel truing initially. But neither has my neighbor with his Fixie.

Last edited:
@OrTrek

Thanks. I should have clarified that I'm looking at the Gravel edition because of the disc brakes. I have 3 bikes with disc brakes and one of them is mechanical... which now I notice the difference and don't really want to go back.

I think the main battery in the Fixie is bigger than the Gravelster but the Gravelster has the ability to add a 2nd battery.

I also trust R1U over Rize when it comes to support... but the Fixie is currently $999 whereas the Gravelster is $1145.

I sent an email to Rize to ask about a 2nd battery, they say it doesn't support it but you never know as the Fixie came out almost 2 years ago.

The single gear is also a concern. I'm used to having multi-gears because I do ride without PAS and it seems I would need PAS to be on more often because of the single gear.

Wish I had some place local to try these single speed ebikes out.

The single gear is also a concern. I'm used to having multi-gears because I do ride without PAS and it seems I would need PAS to be on more often because of the single gear.

FYI I upgraded my 2022 (non-throttle) Gravel to hydraulic disc brakes -- it can be done but the brake lines will have to be routed externally. The two LBS I go to both tried to go internal but were unsuccessful. I also added a dropper post so there is external routing all over the place anyway. Having said that I love the upgrades and they enhance every ride so I would definitely do it again.

The single gear is one of the biggest drawbacks IMO, at least in combination with the innate motor drag. It is not a free-wheeling system on PAS 0 like my other e-bike (Orbea Rise), and trying to make it home on a dead battery is not fun at all.

If you are anywhere near Orange County, CA you are welcome to try mine out. Good luck with your decision!

Depends on how strong you are. With the Roadster (which has taller gearing than the Gravelster) I’ve found it possible to do long motor off climbs up to about 4-5% grade okay with moderate effort. Have also done motor off shorter climbs up to about 12% with maximum effort.

Have had to use full PAS assist to be able to just get up 18+% grade sections. Probably better suited for getting off and walking.

But if more flats and rolling small hills, majority of rides might be doable with motor off or low assist. PAS1 (with stock controller) is a good lower level, for decent range. Furthest I’ve gone on the stock internal battery with motor off/PAS1 was a 60 mile ride with about 2400 ft elevation gain.

Btw, for me having the external battery available is very useful. Allowed me to do a 90+ mile ride with 7000+ ft elevation gain.

Last edited:
@Taylor57

They have both been great. My son rides his Gravel alot more than I do and other than bending a back wheel and having to replace, they have been relatively maintenance free. I still use my Sport as my go to but when I want to just ride for some exercise, I take the Gravel. The belt drive is nice and quiet and it looks like a regular bike. The only drawback so far is the display. I cant see it with my sunglasses on...

@dukeybootie

Yeah... I'm not sure about the single speed... and if there is some drag on PAS 0 that's worrisome.

My Sport has 7-speeds and I actually use most of them depending on grade and speed (and trying to catch up to my faster bike gang).

I also looked at the KBO Hurricane but like the Gravelster... only manual disc brakes.

Rize did get back to me and there is no 2nd battery possibility... and I confirmed the max weight limit is 250lbs which kind of rules it out.

I'm sure there is probably some off-shore knock off bike I can find... but don't want to wait 7 years for it to get over here.

@dukeybootie

Yeah... I'm not sure about the single speed... and if there is some drag on PAS 0 that's worrisome.

My Sport has 7-speeds and I actually use most of them depending on grade and speed (and trying to catch up to my faster bike gang).

I also looked at the KBO Hurricane but like the Gravelster... only manual disc brakes.

Rize did get back to me and there is no 2nd battery possibility... and I confirmed the max weight limit is 250lbs which kind of rules it out.

I'm sure there is probably some off-shore knock off bike I can find... but don't want to wait 7 years for it to get over here.
Gravels are great. Only thing I did was switch out the handlebars that are too narrow and added suspension seatpost...

@dukeybootie

If you’re trying to keep up with fast roadies with a SS, you may be out of luck, if they’re a fast group.

With a SS, you are limited by your gearing, obviously. With the Roadster 64x20 you are spinning at about 100 RPM at 25 mph. I can keep up with the fast roadies up to that point, but when they accelerate up to 25-30mph on the flats, they leave me in the dust. I can keep up on the hills, climbs and shorter sprints, but extended high 120-130 RPMs just isn’t sustainable over many mile runs.

And with the Gravelster, the 63x22 gearing is even more difficult to keep up at the higher speeds, and 100 RPM at about 23mph.

And the Fixie even a little more difficult than the Gravel to keep up at higher speeds with its 58/20 gearing (77 gear inches vs 79.5 for the Gravel or about 109 rpm at 25 mph).

Not too worried about catching my buddies... just worried about when we are just going less than 10mph, having to use power to do so.

Lots of our biking is just conversations about what happened the previous week. :)

Not too worried about catching my buddies... just worried about when we are just going less than 10mph, having to use power to do so.

Lots of our biking is just conversations about what happened the previous week. :)
In that case, just saw the Ride1UP website has Roadster for $999 and Gravelster for $1145 on sale.

You can keep the assist low or off, and use up little power (not that much more than to offset the weight of an e-bike).

My only problem was keeping up with roadies for continuous 22-24 mph runs. Below that, not an issue.

Last edited:

That's so funny :). We do the same. But God I love my (regular) Roadster. It just fits me. My other neighbor has the regular Roadster. He weights well over 200#'s. An old Roadie but age and weight set in. He so liked his, that when his original was stolen he got another one.
The regular Roadster just lopes along at 14-18 mph - in no assist or level one. The rim brakes are fine - so simple - I like them better than my Gravel mechanicals and even my non-ebike hydraulics. Just a fan of the this bike especially at $995.
I'm guessing they are discounting both because they are going to a new controller, display and adding a throttle. Though many who just bought one on this forum are getting them anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSm
Does anyone know if the current production models of the V2 Roadster gravel edition is a pedelec or does it have a throttle? If it’s a pedelec does it use a torque sensor or cadence sensor?

Back