Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I think what Mission Control actually shows is the power drawn from the battery (there is no way to actually determine the motor power while it is very easy to measure the current and voltage to multiply them and get the power figure). Since we know the 1.1 motor produces 240 W max and the reported value was 300, it indicates the motor efficiency of 80% and it sounds about right.

I agree with the phenomenon (that you describe) of inputting more leg power at high motor assistance than it happens with low support. I cannot explain that at all but I get very similar relationship when I ride my Vado 5.0 and measure the leg power against motor assistance with the BLEvo app. Let us say I need to ride together with slow traditional cyclists. I set the assistance down to say 25%, and after the daily trip I realize my leg power was just puny. Now, the more assistance I use the higher my average leg power turns to be. Finally, if I set the assistance to 100% and do a (say) 8 km/5 mi sprint, my power input becomes quite high as for my ill legs.

I don't know why that happens. It might be we just try harder ourselves with high assistance on?
Interesting - the field is sort of mislabeled then, since “rider power” is clearly a torque x speed measurement and not an internal body measurement but usefully so as it allows you to calculate range and so on. 80% would be a reasonable value for a brushless permanent magnet electric motor, i think.

I believe the issue with rider power for me has more to do with gearing. I simply can’t pedal hard enough to climb a very steep hill at a good cadence in the lowest gear; my heart rate would be too high. But at higher speed, whether enabled by the motor boost or flatter ground, I feel very comfortable putting out 200-300w for extended periods of time. I’m very curious if a super light road bike with a 2x drivetrain would allow greater power output from my legs and heart uphill! Probably Not. 😂

Interesting - the field is clearly mislabeled then, but usefully so as it allows you to calculate range and so on. 80% would be a reasonable value for a brushless permanent magnet electric motor, i think.
Not necessarily. There have been many charts for many mid-motors published, and the top efficiency was reported at about 80% max. For instance, the Specialized 1.2s motor I'm using appears to work at 78% top efficiency: the rated Max Motor Power is 520 W, the power drawn from the battery with the motor at the top power is 666 W, hence 78% efficiency.

A 2x drivetrain? Just think: If you could get into really low gear, you would need to spin the cranks: Your heart-rate would go up tremendously. I'm so glad to own full-power e-bikes...

51188855039_53e4e478e2_h.jpg
Haha so good

Heres a bit of my latest vid, its very mesmerising to watch, speeded up by 25%, but I was motoring along, thats the full power of the wobbly beast and I'll have to say it refuses to give up.
Dont worry about the dunes, theyre talking about cutting them back as theyve devoured the sea wall and theres no endangered turtles about.

Went on an epic ride today, first time back in beautiful Wales..gorgeous sunny day and climbed up over a few, just about mountains on an old favourite track that feels like the top of the world.
The cafe at the bottom was full of bikers and families, old couples, walkers and a few emtbikers.
Though none of them followed me to the top :)
Fell in a ditch, got covered in sheep shxt, battered with hailstones in the weirdest from nowhere downpour, met some guy who wouldnt shut up about himself.
Started telling me how he bought his bike and the story was still going 15 mins later.

Awesome day.
Plot twist, that guy was really you.

So I started filming to remake my Titanic Town video with the stabilised camera.
You got the worlds most famous ship, involved in the most iconic maritime disaster in human history that was made into a blockbuster hollywood movie, rhen you visit the home of the captain who was at the helm when it sank.

And you are greeted with classic british understatement.
A few little flags and a sign offering autographed books for a fiver.

Screenshot_2021-05-19-12-57-59.png

Screenshot_2021-05-19-12-58-21.png

It was windy over here too. Look's like your headed out on a multi day journey. What's the destination?
The plan is to make a big loop in Eastern WA, with the eastern limit being around Cusick, WA. Then head back along back roads in the northern part of the state. My planned route back to Winthrop is full of snow, so I am likely going to get someone to pick me up that last part (in about a week).

The plan is to make a big loop in Eastern WA, with the eastern limit being around Cusick, WA. Then head back along back roads in the northern part of the state. My planned route back to Winthrop is full of snow, so I am likely going to get someone to pick me up that last part (in about a week).
Awesome plan. You, sir, are a true pathfinder.

Long day, but a really cool route. Lots of gravel back roads (only about a dozen miles were on highways), lots of intricate navigation, steady uphill the whole way there. Interestingly, Google Maps estimated the elevation gain at 2800 feet, while Ride With GPS got it right with about 4100 feet.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.49.31 PM.png

tempImagebccjqY.jpg

Very approximately the halfway point.

tempImageGUoFMQ.jpg

tempImageJpchr6.jpg

Screenshot_20210519-164315_Strava.jpg
20210519_141009.jpg

20210519_162427.jpg

This is the highest hill in Baltimore. The Inner Harbor is in the far background.
20210519_162343.jpg

This is the rear shot of the above photo.
20210519_153341.jpg

Cicada Eater nom nom nom
This little guy was left at the park, someone is going to be very sad 😪

20210519_191041.jpg
Is it wrong to feel good about my new bathrobe? TMI? hahahaha

I have an off-day tomorrow, going to an Orioles home game and with it being in the mid 80s, probably gonna have a few tall cool beverages :)

View attachment 88095View attachment 88096
View attachment 88097
This is the highest hill in Baltimore. The Inner Harbor is in the far background.
View attachment 88098
This is the rear shot of the above photo.
View attachment 88099
Cicada Eater nom nom nom
This little guy was left at the park, someone is going to be very sad 😪

View attachment 88100
Is it wrong to feel good about my new bathrobe? TMI? hahahaha

I have an off-day tomorrow, going to an Orioles home game and with it being in the mid 80s, probably gonna have a few tall cool beverages :)
Obi-Wan Kenobi!

1621508475401.png

I was in two minds about going out today as the forecast wasn't looking very good last night, but when I got up this morning and looked out the window it was dry! I checked the forecast again and it was showing rain around 11am now, so I decided to go for it! I could see black clouds all around but they were pretty distant at this time, so I chose the route which looked less likely to rain and it worked out perfectly! I didn't take many photos as I wanted to ride as much as possible before the rain arrived! Tomorrow it will rain all day so my legs will be getting a rest!

When I was close to home I could see the rain clouds forming all around so I turned the assistance up and booted it, so glad I brought my spare battery! ;) I got home dry and within 5 minutes the rain was pouring down, what a result!:D Sometimes we just get lucky and today was that day! I had a close call with a learner driver but when I saw the L plates I was ready for the unexpected! I was approaching a roundabout on a big downhill and I signalled I was turning right, the learner was approaching from the opposite direction and we arrived virtually at the same time!

I was expecting her to stop (but I was ready in case she wasn't) as I was already on the roundabout but she decided to continue and was heading straight for me!!! I let out a roar and she came to a halt, I was very disappointed with her driving instructor as he really should have used the dual controls to stop the car on approach to the intersection! He did wave an apology though, I'm sure the learner driver learned an important lesson today and hopefully it will make her a better driver! Despite that scare I had a real blast once again, all is well that ends well as the saying goes!

Attachments

• elevation_profile288.jpg
    elevation_profile288.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 144
  • trip-67575236-map-full203.png
    trip-67575236-map-full203.png
    450.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 20210520_082812.jpg
    20210520_082812.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210520_082822.jpg
    20210520_082822.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 20210520_082827.jpg
    20210520_082827.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210520_085825.jpg
    20210520_085825.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210520_085835.jpg
    20210520_085835.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 150
48 km to just eat Dem Cookiez at Klimatyczna 🤣
20210520_174451-01.jpeg

I was lucky. Arrived at 5:37 pm, the cafe closing at six.

20210520_183812-02.jpeg

Irritated with never-ending Vado maintenance. While it eventually turned out the derailleur pulley had been in good shape, a chain link seemed to be stuck, making ride above 6th gear full of clunking. I might end up with a new chain. And the rear brake pad requires replacing...

Just prior to the trip, I replaced Ergon seat with Selle Royal Respiro Moderate Women's 😊 The most comfortable saddle for my backside!

I wore casual clothes for the ride. Yet (as I visited my garage before) I could wear my full-face helmet. Good weather, too strong wind. I felt inadequately in just a T-shirt.
Screenshot_20210520-202340_Strava.jpg

Rainy day, well mostly. Started off super cold, and I was going slow because I am still beat from the previous two days:

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 4.35.29 PM.png

The Google Maps gods giveth and sometimes they taketh away. The first two dozen miles were mostly on stretches of old highway, which what with the grass growing in the cracks, enormous potholes, and the misty cloudy weather made the whole thing seem post-apocalyptic. After clawing my ways through the rapidly developing western side of Spokane (numerous reroutes due to construction) I ended up on the rather nice Centennial Trail through downtown Spokane and on to Spokane Valley.

The river was FAT:

tempImagek9RSy8.jpg

Another shot of the torrent, from the old world's fair site:

tempImageGncMBg.jpg

Nice section of the trail along the river E of Spokane:

tempImageUtCCs7.jpg

Lee! You're riding that strange paper thing? Named "book"? :D Come on, an e-biker would be expected to read an e-book :D
I'm in love with modern world. Fancy that, Harlan Coben just releasing his latest novel and, presto, I'm reading it on my tablet or phone!
Ha! I had one with lots of books on it, just didn't like the feel. Couldn't turn the pages back to re-read :)

Back