Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Used to live near those haunts. Obviously I missed a whole lot of stuff. Looked for that bridge thingy on the interwebs. Couldn't find anything. 👍 👍
Okay, I totally made up the part about a new dialect in Glendale and cannibalism in Burbank, but the North Atwater Non-Motorized Multimodal Bridge is actually real-- though in some ways, it's more improbable.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/neig...cle_810ef9a4-c95e-11e9-90da-2ff8f623d72e.html

There is, apparently, a long tradition of acrimony between cyclists and equestrians in and around Griffith Park, Atwater, and parts of Burbank where a lot of people own and ride horses. I think the bridge is a great idea. Let's practice getting along, how hard can it be? You see a horse, slow, down get off, and walk your bike, smile and wave. It's not like there are herds of cowboys roaming the range, it's just groups of two to 12 occasionally. I'm sure it was also an issue a century ago, but somehow I imagine they must have handled it better in 1921.

The design is interesting-- there is a little micro-maze-like thing that kind of funnels you... actually, I'm not sure how it worked, but as I crossed the bridge, I seemed to be in the appropriate lane without even knowing about it. Cool! I hope it's working out as well for the horses and riders.

Okay, I totally made up the part about a new dialect in Glendale and cannibalism in Burbank, but the North Atwater Non-Motorized Multimodal Bridge is actually real-- though in some ways, it's more improbable.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/neig...cle_810ef9a4-c95e-11e9-90da-2ff8f623d72e.html

There is, apparently, a long tradition of acrimony between cyclists and equestrians in and around Griffith Park, Atwater, and parts of Burbank where a lot of people own and ride horses. I think the bridge is a great idea. Let's practice getting along, how hard can it be? You see a horse, slow, down get off, and walk your bike, smile and wave. It's not like there are herds of cowboys roaming the range, it's just groups of two to 12 occasionally. I'm sure it was also an issue a century ago, but somehow I imagine they must have handled it better in 1921.

The design is interesting-- there is a little micro-maze-like thing that kind of funnels you... actually, I'm not sure how it worked, but as I crossed the bridge, I seemed to be in the appropriate lane without even knowing about it. Cool! I hope it's working out as well for the horses and riders.
Thanks for the link. I'm still curious. If you could, next time you are by that way, maybe you could take a couple snaps? I'm still not clear how they get a horse across that wild looking confabulation. :oops: As a former horse owner and breeder I know how spooky the critters can be.

Oh, what a shame. Horses don't like bridges. I don't think I'd try to get a horse across that thing unless it was blind folded and being lead with a control chain through it's mouth and then only if I had to do it. I used to own a bunch of American Paint mares and made a bunch of expensive babies back in the day but after one horse death to colic and another to founder I lost my taste for large animal husbandry. Though I still love horses passionately. I just can't own one. I hope there's horses in heaven. 🙏

Oh, what a shame. Horses don't like bridges. I don't think I'd try to get a horse across that thing unless it was blind folded and being lead with a control chain through it's mouth and then only if I had to do it. I used to own a bunch of American Paint mares and made a bunch of expensive babies back in the day but after one horse death to colic and another to founder I lost my taste for large animal husbandry. Though I still love horses passionately. I just can't own one. I hope there's horses in heaven. 🙏
Years ago I bought a Morgan horse from someone who crossed that bridge with him on a regular basis. I have had a lifetime with horses and he was the most steady horse I have ever owned. One in a million. 🙏

Years ago I bought a Morgan horse from someone who crossed that bridge with him on a regular basis. I have had a lifetime with horses and he was the most steady horse I have ever owned. One in a million. 🙏
The Atwater bridge in Los Angeles? It just opened last year. Must be a different bridge.

It is amazing how individualistic horses are. In my early twenties I worked for a guy who had a quarter horse looking ( short coupled ) thoroughbred stud he used to breed his Appaloosa mares. Nobody had ever ridden this stallion but I got on him one day bareback with a hackamore and we were best buds for years. He never bucked once. The most level headed horse I ever knew. Swam with that horse in deep water. Rode narrow deer trails all over the hills of Sonoma county. Once he lost both his down hill legs as we traversed a quite steep trail. No panic. No nothing. I stepped off on the uphill side and he just raised himself back up on his still planted uphill legs. I just stepped back up and we went on. Once the mares all got out of the paddock, 7 of them, I got him out of his stall and he took off after them. The property was a retired turkey farm with a lot of old disused barns. The mares took off down the long drive toward the main road. The stud cut between barns at full gallop, cut them off and herded them back through the gate I held open. I swear he winked at me as he went by.

Yes, I saw that article, too, but didn't actually read it-- I thought the horse died before the bridge was built. I believe many others have died trying to cross the L.A. river without the bridge due to the slippery stones and asphalt.

I had forgotten that horses have a hard time with bridges and similar structures. I remember being on my own with an even less experienced rider (I have only basic skils) in Virgina, and her horse stopped on the trail and would not move... eventually, I figured out it was the high tension lines above us-- the horse just didn't want to cross under them. I had my friend dismount and was able to lead the horse across, but it made me very nervous-- I don't like tying up a rental horse I do not know, or leading someone else's rental horse-- but it actually worked, enjoyed the rest of the ride and got back to the barn without incident. They were both fine mares in all other respects, quite cooperative, soft-mouthed and smooth-gaited generally.

Thanks for reminding me how skittish horses can be; my riding experiences were mostly way out in the middle of nowhere, not around traffic and bicycles. Projects like these just wind up being so contentious, and when they're actually complete, there's always someone who's unhappy or something that seems like it really wasn't thought through properly.

The other bridge I use for the LA river, up around Zoo Drive and Riverside drive, has its own controversies about bike lanes. I guess we were supposed to have dedicated bike lanes but we wound up with "sharrows" which are supposed to be much more dangerous, but I don't remember what it looked like even though I've ridden over that one about four or five times now. All I remember is "Oh, cool, bike lane." I'll pay more attention-- and yes, Reed, I'll take some more detailed photos of the bridge. I hope they find a way to get that sorted so both equestrians and cyclists can use it; if that means a 12-foot wall, so be it.

I hate it when animals die before their time-- or anytime they die, actually. 😥

It is amazing how individualistic horses are. In my early twenties I worked for a guy who had a quarter horse looking ( short coupled ) thoroughbred stud he used to breed his Appaloosa mares. Nobody had ever ridden this stallion but I got on him one day bareback with a hackamore and we were best buds for years. He never bucked once. The most level headed horse I ever knew. Swam with that horse in deep water. Rode narrow deer trails all over the hills of Sonoma county. Once he lost both his down hill legs as we traversed a quite steep trail. No panic. No nothing. I stepped off on the uphill side and he just raised himself back up on his still planted uphill legs. I just stepped back up and we went on. Once the mares all got out of the paddock, 7 of them, I got him out of his stall and he took off after them. The property was a retired turkey farm with a lot of old disused barns. The mares took off down the long drive toward the main road. The stud cut between barns at full gallop, cut them off and herded them back through the gate I held open. I swear he winked at me as he went by.
I know-- it can be really deceptive. I learned in Arizona on a nice gelding when I was 7 years old-- (I was bummed when my mom insisted I take 'writing' lessons, though she actually meant 'riding,' I went out expecting to see a tutor, and there was a cowboy with two horses, thought I'd died and gone to heaven!)

On Shorty, man, I was some cowboy-- by the end of the summer, I was galloping and jumping, I felt like I'd been riding my whole life. Next summer, at camp in upstate New York, they put me in an English saddle on some nasty little mare, and it was like I'd never been on a horse before. Didn't get past a canter again until I was a teenager, but again, I think it was all about the horse.

Great stories!

I know-- it can be really deceptive. I learned in Arizona on a nice gelding when I was 7 years old-- (I was bummed when my mom insisted I take 'writing' lessons, though she actually meant 'riding,' I went out expecting to see a tutor, and there was a cowboy with two horses, thought I'd died and gone to heaven!)

On Shorty, man, I was some cowboy-- by the end of the summer, I was galloping and jumping, I felt like I'd been riding my whole life. Next summer, at camp in upstate New York, they put me in an English saddle on some nasty little mare, and it was like I'd never been on a horse before. Didn't get past a canter again until I was a teenager, but again, I think it was all about the horse.
Well this has turned into a complete highjack but ... I actually think my bike mania is my substitute for a horse. I think I was 6 or 7 when they put me on Ole Clover and Ole Clover took off through the alfalfa field at a dead run, took a leap, planted all four feet like he was in set concrete and I was superman. I was so surprised I forgot to put my hands out and my head went into the ground like I was diving into a pool. Good thing that alfalfa field was sorta soft. Shoulda killed me. I've had almost every bad experience you can have on and around horses but I still love em.

Screenshot_20210522-142407_Strava.jpg
20210522_101337.jpg

House under renovation, adding a second floor.

20210522_104722.jpg

It was a day for cranes in the city.

20210522_132211.jpg

This crane was humongous!

Screenshot_20210522-143417_Weather.jpg

Good and hot today, tomorrow is supposed to be hotter, whew! :)

1621783186931.png

I had to pick my route very carefully today as there was a lot of rain about, I was expecting to get wet though and I did! ;) I did manage to avoid the rain for a while but it was inevitable that I would get caught at some point! Thankfully it did clear up and I was fully dry by the time I got home!

I stopped for this photo and it was dry at this point but I could see the dark clouds ahead and knew what was coming!

1621783532279.jpeg

Not long after this the scene was very different!

1621783579734.jpeg

I did enjoy this nice descent before the rain arrived, although I had to avoid the loose gravel on the centre of the road!

1621783673185.jpeg

The sky was like this most of the day!

1621783806060.jpeg

I felt sure I was going to get soaked again when I saw this sky ahead of me, luckily it headed north and the roads stayed dry!

1621783968792.jpeg

This lot were having a right laugh, I think they were struggling to navigate the buoys!🤣

1621784116882.jpeg

Despite getting a little wet I had a fun day, it was very windy but no problem when you have a powerful e bike! I was going to leave my spare battery behind but decided to take it due to the strong winds, I managed just over 44 miles when my battery dropped to 24% so I decided to change it for the last 6 miles as I was now heading into a 25mph headwind!

I just got home after my second Covid shot, hopefully I will be fine tomorrow but I will probably have a rest day anyway!

Attachments

• elevation_profile289.jpg
    elevation_profile289.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 136
  • trip-67761051-map-full204.png
    trip-67761051-map-full204.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 20210523_102938.jpg
    20210523_102938.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210523_105131.jpg
    20210523_105131.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210523_105141.jpg
    20210523_105141.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210523_105146.jpg
    20210523_105146.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210523_110301.jpg
    20210523_110301.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 147
Web capture_22-5-2021_213646_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Entry point to the Pines Single Track.
IMG_20210521_1140359.jpg

I took to the trails once again with the boys and there seemed to be a fervor in the air to ride a bit more aggressively on this day. Unfortunately, things are bound to happen when you tend to push yourself to go a bit faster.
IMG_20210522_1300487.jpg

Case in point. No fun when your chain snaps along the trail. Fortunately, Kelvin came well prepared with proper tools to perform a trail side repair. With the chain back on using a quick link, he still had to deal with a bent cog tooth as a result of the incident. Hats off to him as he managed to complete the Pines single track, ride the loop around Heritage Ranch and make the final run back to the meet up point at Garden Heights. 👍
IMG_20210521_1315136.jpg

Think twice if you feel that a chest harness is a safe method to mount your action camera. :oops:

We rode another complete loop around some of our favorite trails starting at MacKenzie Bluff, through the local MTB Park, The Pines and finally Heritage Ranch.

Trails we rode through the MTB Park were the Whipper Snapper, Rail Trail and Blinkys

Web capture_22-5-2021_213126_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Screenshot_2021-05-23 Publication2018 pdf.jpg

It will be back on paved roads at the end of the month with family when we set out from Canmore, AB along the Banff Legacy Trail to ride the Lake Minnewanka Loop. Should make for a nice change of scenery. :)

Last edited:
View attachment 88364
Entry point to the Pines Single Track.
View attachment 88365
I took to the trails once again with the boys and there seemed to be a fervor in the air to ride a bit more aggressively on this day. Unfortunately, things are bound to happen when you tend to push yourself to go a bit faster.
View attachment 88366
Case in point. No fun when your chain snaps along the trail. Fortunately, Kelvin came well prepared with proper tools to perform a trail side repair. With the chain back on using a quick link, he still had to deal with a bent cog tooth as a result of the incident. Hats off to him as he managed to complete the Pines single track, ride the loop around Heritage Ranch and make the final run back to the meet up point at Garden Heights. 👍
View attachment 88367
Think again if you think a chest harness is a safe method to mount your action camera. :oops:

We rode another complete loop around some of our favorite trails starting at MacKenzie Bluff, through the local MTB Park, The Pines and finally Heritage Ranch.

Trails we rode through at the MTB Park were the Whipper Snapper, Rail Trail and Blinkys

View attachment 88368
View attachment 88369

It will be back on paved roads at the end of the month with family when we set out from Canmore, AB along the Banff Legacy Trail to ride the Lake Minnewanka Loop. Should make for a nice change of scenery. :)
I like that sunny grassy hill climb at the end of video 1

Back