Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

It was not the JW ordeal. You have suffered because of Tannus Armour :D

@steve mercier is going to hate me :D
100% exactly correct!

The front tyre went on with a Tannus Armour insert; on the rear, I gave up! Impossible!

That said: TA fitted to the front had quite a few thousand km of previous use. Tannus Armours do compress with time; it's been mentioned on EBR as a disadvantage but, perhaps, it was what made fitting the first liner possible. Should I mention that I destroyed (that is, pinched) two tubes in the futile process of non-fitting the rear TA?

So you are having trouble installing Armours ? Get the LBS kids to install them like we do. Old geezers like us should know when to pass the baton to a pair of strapping young lads in the service department.
TANNUS ARMOURS , don't leave home without them! P.S. here are the tools required to free your Bosch powered bike from routine trips to the LBS. That is a 3/8ths to 8mm driver.
1620526704194.png

Last edited:
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ???? Clue me in!
What is the English version of the saying "Hit the table, and the shears will call you"? 😉

Should I mention that I destroyed (that is, pinched) two tubes in the futile process of non-fitting the rear TA?
Oh. I can destroy several tubes by just swapping a tyre... 😂

TANNUS ARMOURS , don't leave home without them! P.S. here are the tools required to free your Bosch powered bike from routine trips to the LBS. That is a 3/8ths to 8mm driver. View attachment 87031
It’s always nice to have the right tool for the job. 👍I have the same cassette/lockring removal tool but also had to acquire a different version that fits the newer micro-splined 12 speed cassettes. 🙄

Not the pleasantest way to finish a ride…

Highway One, Nundah, Brisbane

Highway One
Sometimes I just want to get back to the car and head for home, and then I thank the motorway planners for putting in a decent cycleway alongside every major access route to the city. And after the ride's over, I resolve not to take the quick route again.

Not until next time.

The trucks in the foreground are heading towards Perth, WA; the traffic on the opposite side is also heading towards Perth. I have no idea which option is shorter or whether any of these vehicles is bound that way. Both choices take days and days and days to reach the world's most isolated big city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello folks,
I have been lurking on this thread for a few months now and have for the the most part remained silent, until now. I have been renovating a 1999 EVG bike. You can read about my project here. But I’ve been riding her and ready to share some maps and photos with you’ll! @Stefan Mikes -per our conversation, this old slow pig rig is not legal 4U! 🤪

I called this ride BUMMER#3 as my first ride resulted in a blown fuse where my old SLA batteries typically died, second ride stripped right pedal from crank arm and now this; sudden battery death at mile 15.5. My wife is giving me her day to go play. So more posts to come.... (feedback on preference/use of Garmin, Strava or Ride w/GPS appreciated!!)
F52F1FAA-0622-4047-B2E2-0561FE5F48B7.jpeg

FB8CA30C-9AEE-4394-BFF1-34659BA3B8C4.jpeg

So at the southern most end of this loop is an interesting old bridge. Looks like the city added some info signs. As I get older, history is now getting interesting for me (worst subject study as a kid!)....
AD9E37FE-2F1C-43E1-ACCB-B9F4AA947C88.jpeg F271CA72-E6BE-400D-9558-728537EF96FB.jpeg 6D0D33EF-2931-4F1A-8465-6B5EDD073C0C.jpeg
A little bit up the road is an old dairy farm and Adobe home in Pleasanton. Just a few photos as I will definitely be returning or passing here often. 1C0A1871-2343-4A55-95FE-9E680086E2BB.jpeg 666AC1C8-58C5-42CA-B565-C7A61E46B675.jpeg 77629D65-9E03-426C-AFEF-DEE7A01F4F51.jpeg
At this point the battery gage said 82%, so it was time to move on. Not but a half mile later this little clutch of local American natives decided to cross the road.... (to get to the other side silly! 🤣)
27786CA9-E9FC-4CB0-BCC7-04F74248E675.jpeg

And further north I went. My mile 10 battery check in Dublin was 70% so I was really feeling good about the pack purchase versus building it myself. About 1 mile north past this old farm house in San Ramon that was relocated to make room for houses, the battery went bonk. This is my fist time with Li-Ion packs, so do they just suddenly plunge? Again advice welcomed. I have a power meter due any day now that will get added to verify pack output power. But I fear two of the five parallel packs are bad (6s5p 24V pack)
More to come!!
-BB
88C182C4-9C14-47DB-9DA8-458F72B01630.jpeg

That seems odd because all the preload screw does is compress the springs which lowers the upper bar of the parallelogram, reducing the total travel. I theory, the angle shouldn't. Did you see the part where Infinity recommends lowering the saddle two mm and moving it back 1 mm at a time to relieve pressure up front, instead of adjust the saddle angle. It is in the STEP 7. CHECK YOUR SEAT POSITION video starting around minute one on this page: https://infinitybikeseat.com/setup-videos/
I've gone through the steps but since I am alone this month it has been difficult to find someone to assist me. So my measurements were very rough.

Right now I think a couple more rides and I will have it dialed in, and I have access to a Bike Fit consultant who can also assist me this week.

TANNUS ARMOURS , don't leave home without them! P.S. here are the tools required to free your Bosch powered bike from routine trips to the LBS. That is a 3/8ths to 8mm driver.
I have used Tannus Armour on my bikes for over a year now with one side wall flat that required the dollar bill trick and a tube patch.

I recently changed out tires on one of my bikes and saw how compressed it became, less than 3-4mm. I know they say to take the air out of your tires between rides so it can swell back closer to original thickness but, frankly doing that and having to refill my tires before each ride was too much of a bother. Also when you do that, the armour quickly gets compressed, increasing the interior volume and reducing the tire pressure during your ride...not an acceptable solution for me

I decided to use Tubolito MTB tubes which reduce the weight to less than half of butyl rubber tubes and are supposed to increase puncture resistance substantially. They actually weigh within a few grams of tubeless sealant used on tubeless setups. They are easy to patch and the S-tubo version are super lightweight and tiny in size so easy to carry in your tool kit. They hold their pressure for months. It is so much easier to fix a flat on the road without the Armour. Finally the difference in rolling resistance and rotational weight makes for a faster bike that uses noticeably less battery power.

For me a one year experiment with Tannus Armour is over.

I have used Tannus Armour on my bikes for over a year now with one side wall flat that required the dollar bill trick and a tube patch.

I recently changed out tires on one of my bikes and saw how compressed it became, less than 3-4mm. I know they say to take the air out of your tires between rides so it can swell back closer to original thickness but, frankly doing that and having to refill my tires before each ride was too much of a bother. Also when you do that, the armour quickly gets compressed, increasing the interior volume and reducing the tire pressure during your ride...not an acceptable solution for me

I decided to use Tubolito MTB tubes which reduce the weight to less than half of butyl rubber tubes and are supposed to increase puncture resistance substantially. They actually weigh within a few grams of tubeless sealant used on tubeless setups. They are easy to patch and the S-tubo version are super lightweight and tiny in size so easy to carry in your tool kit. They hold their pressure for months. It is so much easier to fix a flat on the road without the Armour. Finally the difference in rolling resistance and rotational weight makes for a faster bike that uses noticeably less battery power.

I don't care about a few grams and my tires do not deflate. I will stick with Tannus ...to each his own.

Too cold for swimming…

Shorncliffe Beach

Shorncliffe Beach(looking east)
12:25 pm; 97 km (≈23 km remaining)
It's too freezy cold to put a toe in the water at this time of year! Near perfect for ebiking! My rides up the bay usually start around 6:00 am and finish about 1:30 pm. Today's was a Johnny Watts test run.

Just visible in the photo is a series of posts extending from the Shorncliffe Pier (left) to the groyne running out from the beach (right). In the late 1930s a supposedly shark-proof net between the posts made this a favourite safe bathing beach.

Shorncliffe Weather Prediction

Shorncliffe Pier, circa 1910

My photo was taken from where there is an X on this historic view from the Shorncliffe Headland. Circa 1905–10? My guess is that the people are excursionists from Brisbane and that their steam launch is moored to the end of the pier.

I don't care about a few grams and my tires do not deflate. I will stick with Tannus ...to each his own.
Not to be argumentative here Steve but Tannus Armour plus a tube is around 550 grams versus tubolito MTB at 80 grams...that is more than a few grams, especially of rotational weight out at the rim of the wheel. It really makes a very noticeable difference in speed and energy consumption.

My recent experience with a much lighter bike with tubeless tires and a more aero ride position, getting 20-30% more range on the same battery and motor, with better acceleration and easier speed, has really changed my thinking and priorities.

It's a trade off and everyone makes their own call on what is of more importance, higher flat protection or better efficiency. The decision should be based on accurate assumptions on both sides of the equation is all I am saying here. Just know what you are giving up to get what you want.

Last edited:
Not to be argumentative here Steve but Tannus Armour plus a tube is around 550 grams versus tubolito MTB at 80 grams...that is more than a few grams, especially of rotational weight out at the rim of the wheel. It really makes a very noticeable difference in speed and energy consumption.

My recent experience with a much lighter bike with tubeless tires and a more aero ride position, getting 20-30% more range on the same battery and motor, with better acceleration and easier speed, has really changed my thinking and priorities.

It's a trade off and everyone makes their own call on what is of more importance, higher flat protection or better efficiency. The decision should be based on accurate assumptions on both sides of the equation is all I am saying here. Just know what you are giving up to get what you want.
No I understand that on your new bike weight is more important than on your Delite. That makes sense for sure. And thinking about it some more I probably would not try to use inserts on 700 x 28 or 35 racing /touring tires. In that case if I had a bike like yours or a Creo I would just go with the Schwalbe Marathons and a small pump and a small can of Vittoria Pitstop.
1620595800454.png

Last edited:
No I understand that on your new bike weight is more important than on your Delite. That makes sense for sure.
When I changed tires on the Delite to Johnny Watts I was surprised how compressed the armour had become and how little penetration they were actually preventing so I removed the tannus armour from my Delite and Allant and replaced them with tubolitos.

Not enough time on those bikes to determine range numbers but they are both is at least 2 mph faster at a given effort and assist on level ground. It may turn out to be a dumb move on my part so I'll keep them around for a while till I can get a handle on the lost flat protection and figure out if the trade off was really worth it. When I do I might have some tubolitos for 27.5 x 2.4 tires on a half price sale or I might put them back in.

E-Bike Day of Wonders

Manufactured e-bikes suddenly emerged in the Warsaw cycling community on the first real day of the Spring. Up to 21 C (70 F), sunshine, and even stiff SSE wind didn't feel nasty! I'll tell you a word or two on e-bikes but let me start with the Sunday's ride story first.

My final decision was to drive with my Vado to @Jerzy Bańkowski's place, so we could do the whole trip together. Although our farthest waypoint would be notorious Góra Kalwaria, we rode on the right bank of the River Vistula on the way out. I set my assistance to 25% (it is 0.75x leg power amplification) to be exactly on par with my friend. And I was (almost) consistent with my choice. If we both were to climb -- for instance -- I was downshifting even to granny gear but I kept the 25% setting! No cheating!

1620596335479.png

Exploring the right bank of Vistula southwards of Warsaw.
Top: It is hard to imagine that but these two houses (including the green one) once were narrow-gauge railway-station buildings.
Center: Jerzy with our bikes on a tactical stop :)
Bottom: Karczew was the truest countryside even in 1970's. What is a town now, the village of Karczew was feeding starving Warsaw with illegally delivered meat during WW2 (under German occupation). A nice, green and colourful small town of today still holds the remnants of the past, such as this very old but still inhabited wooden house. It is certainly a pre-WW2 building. (See enormous attic).

1620596844282.png

Jerzy pedalling hard upwind.

1620596917401.png

At a nice wedding house/restaurant/hotel near Otwock Wielki. We hope the things will go back to normal soon.

1620597194876.png

Top & centre: In the Apple-Tree Land.
Bottom: River Vistula as seen from the Góra Kalwaria road bridge.

Now, some thriller will come there.
Although there is no bike ban on the Góra Kalwaria bridge, riding there is extremely dangerous. A narrow road shoulder might be ridden but heavy traffic (especially of big lorries) makes you jeopardized. As I stopped on the bridge to take the photo, it was noticed by truck drivers (it was a traffic offence to stop on a bridge) and was punished with horn blaring and headlight blinking. Worse. Jerzy was consistently riding and missed the exit to Góra Kalwaria! What to do then?

-- Jerzy. Listen. We have to slowly ride the road shoulder against the traffic. No other way... -- and we did it.

Then, we had to climb onto the Mt. Calvary. Trust me. I made it with 25% assistance :D No cheating!

1620597696237.png

The Góra Kawiarnia cafe was in the state of madness. All roadies (and other cyclists) used the good weather and frequented the GK cafe as if the town had no other cafes available :D Long line to the bar, no space to sit. However...

1620597940110.png

That will be a long story :) More than a year ago, some Archie paid a visit to EBR Forums and asked for an e-bike for his wife. As Archie was Polish and a Warsawer, you EBR friends directed Archie to me to help him. Eventually, Archie bought a Giant Explore E+ 1 Pro for Anna. I had a single exciting ride with Anna in May last year and we haven't ridden together since but we were in touch. 6:38 am on Sunday, Artur contacts me -- and we finally agree to meet at Góra Kawiarnia around 1 pm. And we met. Anna, Artur, Jerzy, and me. The couple had found a quiet square with benches around 100 m from the cafe and we could drink coffee, eat Dem Cookiez and enjoy life...

1620598474584.png

...and we decided to ride together!

1620598537936.png

What a selfie! The whole gang seen riding! An electroacoustic ride indeed!

1620598640695.png

Newly met Astrid and Steven (they are Polish) on Specialized Turbo Levo Comp.

Did I tell you e-bikes seemed to emerge in Góra Kalwaria on this first day of real Spring? They did. I could see many manufactured e-bikes there on Sunday. What attracted my attention was a couple riding some Specialized e-bikes: I could not guess what model these large bikes really were. Now, our group is peacefully pedalling and we are overtaken by that couple riding at high speed! "Oh, you two... Let me show you..." I murmured. Turbo mode on and I really spun the cranks! To no effect. Those devils rode so fast I could at best follow them but not overtake. I gave up. Yet, we met Astrid and Steven later in Cieciszew; and we started talking.

1620599235230.png

Yes, their Levos had been derestricted. Yes, they rode in Turbo mode because they liked that. Now, my 45 km/h registered Vado made a little furore. Other people were asking for details. And the couple were interested in finding more e-bikers for group rides; it might come true!

1620599482931.png

The ferry in Gassy, very popular among cyclists. The fee is around 1 EUR.

1620599561920.png

And a next wonder! As we stopped at Tandem Cycling Bar, Jerzy spotted Lidka. Well. Lidka has been my friend since the high school. Three or four years ago, there was some bad blood between us based on ambition... Now, we decided to restore our friendship. All because Lidka is an avid cyclist herself! (Note: Jerzy's SMILING!) :D

1620600018923.png

Post-ride beer purchase :D

1620599839775.png

Whatever the average speed was, over 4 hours of solid pedalling made me so tired I wouldn't put any Points Of Interest on the map tonight :)

Wow @Stefan Mikes - almost looks like pre-COVID photos there; SO NICE TO SEE!

Sorry for no photos today. Canadian geese and Mallard ducks in muc ponds was not photogenic....

But I have exciting news to report. My 1999 EVG did more consecutive miles than she ever has done before. I just did 26miles (42km) and returned with 59% battery (62% post rest). I am really excited as I still have a battery pack coming; so I may just hit my first Century Ride ever!!!
-BB
B57DC0EC-2103-4B29-BDFF-525EDD17A03B.jpeg

Back