I am finding it too hot to ride

It is not just the awful high temperatures, it’s the high lows – it doesn’t cool off sometimes for weeks, it’s the summer; the swimming pool is not cooling below 82, tap water is warm, the hum of the air conditioners 24/7 and cool showers are just a thought.

51262471290_8145282fe4_c.jpg

I worked outdoors in Las Vegas heat. I’d drink several gallons of water and never/seldom need to pee. I put a swamp cooler in the garage. I couldn’t touch the body of a black car. Irrigation tubing melted where exposed on the south side of our house.
I know what you mean about a black car. We took out the RV and I made the mistake of leaving the stabilizer bars in the sun for a few hours. Forgot to bring my thermal gloves. Made for a fine time trying to get the bars back on. Finally used a pair of my socks and that was still hot! For the guys facing 120degF temperatures....paraphrasing McNair from 1776...Sweet Jesus!

I'm so glad we don't experience as much heat in Poland as you do in some North American areas. Yes, it is what we call "hot summer", that is, temperatures from and above 30 C (86 F). At least humidity is moderate: neither dry nor very humid.

Many cyclists in Poland turned out to be soft: they feel the heat is unbearable for them to ride out. A friend of mine who is a competing cyclist tends to ride out for his workout pretty early ("before breakfast"), so he might make 80 miles plus in four-and-half hour. Near to end of his rides, high temperature combined with his effort become unbearable, he says.

Night riding has suddenly become very popular here.

As for me and my riding buddies: nobody is soft :) As long as you ride, drink a lot, and take the benefit of wind cooling, riding is possible here, and we made two metric centuries on last weekend :) Now, a water bottle or two do not last long for a traditional -- non-equipped -- bike riders. Good I ride a fully equipped powerful Vado with two panniers; I can carry water for my riding pack!
Same here. My bags are filled with Gatorade! Do have one of the silvery emergency blanket things if things get too bad and just have to hunker down and wait on help. It's not gotten that bad, yet.

I live 40 miles from the border with Canada and in the dry part of the PNW. My thermometer read 104 yesterday! For June, that's a bit much. Then next week looks like Texas temps! I am having to baby my garden through this. Today I will be mulching, not riding.

One bad thing--the roads have very little shade on them. Most are in the sagebrush or have not tall enough orchards alongside. I could haul my bike to a higher elevation but it will be in the 90s and buggy most likely.

Whining is acceptable in this weather.

70F low humidity today in Central Va. I still haven‘t been given permission to ride by my doctor…but the arm has been out of the sling since the first of the month…and it’s 70 out so I think I’ll sneak out for a few miles to see if my legs still work. Did I mention that it’s 70f out this afternoon?

I live 40 miles from the border with Canada and in the dry part of the PNW. My thermometer read 104 yesterday! For June, that's a bit much. Then next week looks like Texas temps! I am having to baby my garden through this. Today I will be mulching, not riding.

One bad thing--the roads have very little shade on them. Most are in the sagebrush or have not tall enough orchards alongside. I could haul my bike to a higher elevation but it will be in the 90s and buggy most likely.

Whining is acceptable in this weather.
Yes, I can attest that it is wicked buggy at higher elevations. Do not stop or you will be covered with flies.

these could help the rider but the battery is another story...

these could help the rider but the battery is another story...

Yeah, those ice vests are new to me, but I can certainly see that they would help a lot. Especially if they are $50 to $100 rather than $500. And nobody is predicting cooler summers .

Not quite true . In the wildfire thread, @john peck danced and it rained. Grin.
Rain ain´t gonna help if it evaporates before it reaches the ground. Take a peek at the current
U.S. Drought Monitor map & be afraid, ´be very afraid´. That giant red blob is creeping rapidly up
the great basin affecting not just agriculture in CA & AZ, but OR & WA as well. The U.N. has
just issued warnings that we are reaching the tipping point for climate change. You could be
looking at $2.50 for an apple as many fruit trees here are failing to produce much fruit. That´s
just for starters. Legally or otherwise, clear-cut logging has crippled my rainforest´s ability
to sustain watersheds. Some reforested areas were planted so densely that they are spindly dry
sticks, stunted, inches apart, fighting for every drop & bit of nourishment. If they ever catch fire,
they could make last fire season look like a hibachi.:eek::eek::eek: We need to bust up I-5 & plant
stuff!!!

Last edited:
Rain ain´t gonna help if it evaporates before it reaches the ground. Take a peek at the current
U.S. Drought Monitor map & be afraid, ´be very afraid´. That giant red blob is creeping rapidly up
the great basin affecting not just agriculture in CA & AZ, but OR & WA as well. The U.N. has
just issued warnings that we are reaching the tipping point for climate change. You could be
looking at $2.50 for an apple as many fruit trees here are failing to produce much fruit. That´s
just for starters. Legally or otherwise, clear-cut logging has crippled my rainforest´s ability
to sustain watersheds. Some reforested areas were planted so densely that they are spindly dry
sticks, stunted, inches apart, fighting for every drop & bit of nourishment. If they ever catch fire,
they could make last fire season look like a hibachi.:eek::eek::eek: We need to bust up I-5 & plant
stuff!!!
Not to worry. If you are talking private or state land, those spindly sticks, which are planted closely on purpose, will get thinned in few years. Units are overplanted to ensure that required stocking/survival requirements are met. Then, what we call a precommercial thin will occur to thin the trees out to a density that is optimum for growth. Washington the State has some pretty strict rules about timber harvest. Also, the west side has had stand replacement fires about every 200 or 300 years--kind of like the big earthquake. Just because it is a temperate rain forest does not mean that it hasn't burned in the past. Also, the original people burned it to make clearings for hunting, berry growth, basket supplies, etc. There are some accounts of those escaping and burning more than planned.

I worry more about the developments that are punched in. That is truly deforestation.

Haven't heard about trees not producing as much fruit and I live in the midst of fruit country. Last year the weather pretty much destroyed the Rainier Cherries, this year, I am eating them again.

we are going to have some really hot days here in portland. at 11:30 it was 90 and it is supposed to get up to 108 time to ride to the river

crap should not have ridden it was 102 but we were going on a bike path surrounded by plants that's usually cooler. but it was bad getting to ig my garmin got to 118 we went to the river and soaked for awhile got wet can came home not a bad coming home but not great. almost overheated.
our porch by the black top is the high temp the back porch is in the shade.

Screenshot 2021-06-26 at 5.39.52 PM.jpg
102DE483-A1D7-4A6E-A495-867B17EA5FC1.JPG

Back