8+ months of research, 100s of hours, know what I need & want but can't find it

That Helix crash sounded terrible! I love those scooters so much. I bought a Qlink Commuter Helix clone for my wife. Qlink/CFMoto make the "highest quality" products in all of China. That clone lasted 2 years and only had 5000 miles on it when we donated it to a thrift store. Nothing but problems with it. We put 10,000 a year easy on my SYM CityCom. My wife put 15,000 a year on her Honda Silverwing scooter. I put 8000 a year on my current scooter, a Genuine Buddy 125.

Glad you survived your Helix crash. Broken ribs hurt so bad!
Thanks sc00ter. I wouldn't have survived if I hadn't been wearing full motorcycle gear. My brains would've been all over the road. Some of my friends think I'll be in more danger on an ebike but I don't think so! 🙃

Some of my friends think I'll be in more danger on an ebike but I don't think so! 🙃
It is a way easier to stop an e-bike, especially if the person riding it is lightweight and the e-bike is not overly heavy :) (Always wear a helmet!)

Well, I and my Vado and the heavy pannier made together almost 300 pounds on the race. One of the segments was a steep gravel descent ending in a hairpin turn that continued with yet another very steep climb. You had to make that turn to have a Virtual Control Point crossed (no shortcut allowed even if that was available!) As I saw a high quality gravel road steep descent in front of me, I stood on the pedals and moved my butt far behind the saddle to move the centre of gravity towards the rear wheel. Then I let my Vado run!

I guess that was the downill ride where I achieved the max speed of 58.5 km/h (36 mph). However, I saw it necessary to almost totally stop the e-bike in front of the turn. I delicately worked on brake levers to "feel" the bike, then applied intermittent braking to slow the machine down, and eventually I smoothly pulled both brake levers all way back taking care not to fly over the bars :) I was totally confident Vado would stop in time, and she indeed stopped :) It made me totally confident my e-bike handled perfectly!

I used to ride in high mountains before but that was the first time I achieved a high speed on gravel and had to do hard braking!

1716538359213.png

Last edited:
I wish I had sold it before I put it back on the road. I hadn't ridden in 4 1/2 years because of my arthritic hands but last June I drove my Prius off the road to avoid a collision about to happen between a pickup truck and a tractor pulling a round baler. With no shoulder I drove down an embankment (in control) but it ripped up the undercarriage and one side so the car was totaled. I needed transportation just to look for another car so I put the Helix back on the road. Coming down my country two-lane road I was leaning into a blind curve, in the middle of my lane, when a giant dump truck carrying rock came around more than halfway into my lane. I had to come out of the lean and wound up on the gravel-strewn shoulder in the curve. I didn't want to lay it down on the gravel by leaning so I slowly was making my way back to the blacktop when I clipped a stealth mailbox (looked like it was on a wood post but it was obviously fake plastic wood over a steel T-bar set in cement), which threw me and the bike sideways into the road. Popped a hole in the motor case where the oil fill bolt was and smashed 8 ribs on my left side and 1 rib on my right. It took me a few minutes to get up off my face and start walking to my friends house nearby. I never got the bike back. 😭

View attachment 176408
i am surprised more people do not get into trouble about their badass" nobody gonna hurt my mailbox thingys,that one that about to do you in was obviously a "hazard to navigation" and as such liable to legal recourse,there are rules and regulations governing such thingsmhere you are allowed a 3.5x3.5 treated pine post,no crankshafts railroad steel or anything like that,glad you survived.

@BurroBabe, I just noticed this thread today and found your quandry interesting because I've been posting on another thread, also looking for a small e-bike. Our needs are very different; I'm looking for a lightweight road e-bike to keep up with my speedy husband on recreational rides of up to 50 miles or so. But our challenges in being petite and having arthritis in the hands (mine is in my thumb joints where they attach to my wrist, so thumb shifters are unfriendly for me) are similar. My cycling inseam is 28", and most/all of the actualy e-road or e-gravel bikes have standover numbers higher than that, so I truly felt your pain in this thread! I currently ride a Kona Dew-e DL (size Small), which is a great e-bike and, has adequate standover and fits me well, but I want drop bars and a Class 3 for that speed you experienced when you test rode the Vado, since Class 1 is not cutting it at times when I ride with my husband. Anyway, I am honing in on a couple of (very limited) choices, and the experts on this forum have been super helpful, as they have been for you.

I haven't made a final decision myself, but I wanted to congratulate you on your choice and am looking forward to a photo when you get your Vado! I will follow this thread.

I actually don't know. I'm waiting to hear from the shop but I haven't called him because I'm still trying to figure out how to get there to pick it up, other than hitchhiking. 🤔
That would certainly be the best if he could deliver the e-bike to you...

That would certainly be the best if he could deliver the e-bike to you...
After I read this last night I called the LBS at 7AM and got the owner in the shop and asked him if the bike was ready. He said he had been alone in the shop all week so was building it tonight. When I asked about delivering it he said he wouldn't be able to for at least a week because he was only closed on Tuesday and, since his dad had died this past winter he was going "down" to visit his mom and help her with the house on his day off since she's alone now. What could I say? I told him he is a good son. I really appreciate when my son comes down and helps me here as well.

So, I'm still sucking around to get a ride to the shop. I've checked all the bus routes. . . I think everyone here understands how much public transit sucks in the US. In one direction, the bus from NYC to the upstate towns is discontinued until further notice, the local rural route from the nearest town (6 mi or 12 mi away) have been cut back severely and the only bus I can get from the bigger town to Ithaca is a commuter that leaves at 6:15AM and the local route to get to it doesn't start until after 9. I'm contemplating just riding a regular bike down to the main road, leaving it at the fire station and hitchhiking. (sigh).

Since this forum is international, I'll take a chance on saying, the US sucks when it comes to environmentally sound transportation options.Since becoming car-less, I've really learned how few of my "friends" are really friends. When I did have a car, it was always on me to drive to where they live. I'm "too far out of the way" for them to bother coming here, even when I had 9 broken ribs or a torn rotator cuff.:confused:

At least my donkey loves me. 😎

You should just sign up for Uber and Lyft apps. My friend doesn't have a running car at the moment and that's what he does when needed. He can also borrow my spare car if needed but his pride is strong. Concerning the friends being "friends" I know all to well what you mean.

And you mentioned the bike shop owner had the death in the family. I worked part time helping a small specialty shop get off the ground. I swear the owners mom died at least 3 times a year, and is still dying to this day! That was his excuse for falling behind "Tell them my mom passed and I'm outta town for a week!" would be whispered as I was talking to a client. I had a "Mom death cheat sheet" I kept I'm my desk so I wouldn't tell the same person the same lie twice. I did enjoy that job, except killing his mom all the time. The mom was actually in the shop one day when I had to lie for the owner! Luckily the phone cord stretched just outta ear shot for her to hear me!

After I read this last night I called the LBS at 7AM and got the owner in the shop and asked him if the bike was ready. He said he had been alone in the shop all week so was building it tonight. When I asked about delivering it he said he wouldn't be able to for at least a week because he was only closed on Tuesday and, since his dad had died this past winter he was going "down" to visit his mom and help her with the house on his day off since she's alone now. What could I say? I told him he is a good son. I really appreciate when my son comes down and helps me here as well.

So, I'm still sucking around to get a ride to the shop. I've checked all the bus routes. . . I think everyone here understands how much public transit sucks in the US. In one direction, the bus from NYC to the upstate towns is discontinued until further notice, the local rural route from the nearest town (6 mi or 12 mi away) have been cut back severely and the only bus I can get from the bigger town to Ithaca is a commuter that leaves at 6:15AM and the local route to get to it doesn't start until after 9. I'm contemplating just riding a regular bike down to the main road, leaving it at the fire station and hitchhiking. (sigh).

Since this forum is international, I'll take a chance on saying, the US sucks when it comes to environmentally sound transportation options.Since becoming car-less, I've really learned how few of my "friends" are really friends. When I did have a car, it was always on me to drive to where they live. I'm "too far out of the way" for them to bother coming here, even when I had 9 broken ribs or a torn rotator cuff.:confused:

At least my donkey loves me. 😎
You even cannot imagine how much I am sympathizing with you!

Y'all, there are many rural areas in the US where Uber and Lyft services aren't offered. Someday, maybe, this kind of service will be everywhere, but I completely sympathize with @BurroBabe when she laments the state of transportation in the US. If you live in an urban area or the burbs, your options are many. But get out beyond the sidewalks, and the options dwindle quickly. Yep, I live in an area like this as well!

Y'all, there are many rural areas in the US where Uber and Lyft services aren't offered. Someday, maybe, this kind of service will be everywhere, but I completely sympathize with @BurroBabe when she laments the state of transportation in the US. If you live in an urban area or the burbs, your options are many. But get out beyond the sidewalks, and the options dwindle quickly. Yep, I live in an area like this as well!
So are we suggesting regular routes in areas that wouldn't have enough ridership to come anywhere near paying for itself? How would that affect your taxes? The environment?
It's not the US's fault that it's large and some prefer to live on the outskirts. When you make that decision, you also make the decision to be somewhat self sufficient.

@BurroBabe: A heads-up: Do not even try to feed the well known Forum troll GR. Ignore him or he'd generate a flame war. His latest post is a known technique called "diversion", which was described by one Herr Schopenhauer in his Eristic a long time ago. He went off-topic to provoke you going off-topic, too :) No need to comment my post either :)

Now, he'll use a racial slur against me. Just ignore him to the bitter end :)

Last edited:
Yes many in the US have a very strange relationship with their cars. There are those that love having the largest vehicle possible just outside of a semi truck, and then using it solo.
I want to tell you that you went off-topic Brian, because GR intentionally went off-topic. Do not follow that way, please :)
The transportation situation of @BurroBabe has nothing to do with her selection of an e-bike, right?

I want to tell you that you went off-topic Brian, because GR intentionally went off-topic. Do not follow that way, please :)
The transportation situation of @BurroBabe has nothing to do with her selection of an e-bike, right?
Well, I was responding to burrobabe. But as penance, I will leave my battery turned off for the first 2 miles on my next ride😶‍🌫️

How am I off topic when the OP and others are lamenting that they don't have public transport to rural locations.
Let others judge me on their own.
And they don't need the EBR führer jockeying for their support as they'll learn soon enough why you are not respected by many here.

Now, he'll use a racial slur against me.
Can't help it... You're a walking talking stereotype. 😘

Just ignore him to the bitter end :)
Yet you read every single post I write thought you repeatedly state I'm ignored. The very definition of a troll.
And how is it you always forget to mention how you belittle everything that isn't as it is in EU?
Anywho... you have to admit I got you pretty good in your dead battery thread.
whip.gif

I say ride the mule to the LBS and let him take an Uber back home. 🙃
Ummmm, donk, not mule. She packs, I walk. It would take about two days...🤪
@BurroBabe: A heads-up: Do not even try to feed the well known Forum troll GR. Ignore him or he'd generate a flame war. His latest post is a known technique called "diversion", which was described by one Herr Schopenhauer in his Eristic a long time ago. He went off-topic to provoke you going off-topic, too :) No need to comment my post either :)

Now, he'll use a racial slur against me. Just ignore him to the bitter end :)
Thanks Stefan, this forum needs a Hug emoji for a reaction! 🤗 You caught me just in time... it's so tempting, especially when they spout misconceptions fed to them by the misinformation machine. 😎 🦓

Back