8+ months of research, 100s of hours, know what I need & want but can't find it

Oh, it is a public knowledge where Boeing parts are being made... :)

Nah. Bafang parts you are getting in the United States are made in China ;) You wouldn't like a 250 W motor limited to 25 km/h for sure!

I can see you have got attracted to the idea of bike conversion, that is, slapping a motor, a battery and a controller onto a bike that has never been designed for the role. I was in that position in July/August 2019 myself. Then my manager said: 'Stefan, you are too a valuable person for the company I could lose you. Don't I pay you well enough so you could buy a production e-bike?' He was so right! I know I am hated by DIYers in these Fora but let me tell you this: If you are ready to run around with a multimeter instead of having the battery % on the display, go to the Dark Side :) Ready for CANBUS or UART programming? Join the Stormtroopers! :D No good Jedi would go that way! :)

I understand your main issue is you are a petite person. Have you looked to Specialized Como? It is a high quality production e-bike that might give you exactly what you want. Regarding multiple batteries, yes, I use them for a very long or extremely steep long rides. Carrying a spare battery in a pannier. (Having gained the experience, I ride more and more on a single battery with a growing range: I can tune the Specialized motor from an app).

Specialized: Design, quality, performance, local service, the best warranty in the world.

View attachment 175925
Right: My friend Anita riding an older Como (non Low-Step) on our group ride in a demanding terrain.
Stefan, you always make me smile with your witty comments! :)
You are not the first to suggest the Como. Perhaps I would consider it if I could try it out somewhere, but I haven't found any shops that carry the Specialized bikes. based on how wonderful the ride on the Vado 4.0 was, it is tempting. I wish Specialized made sizes down to XS. However, when I was trying Gazelles and found that none of the Medeo line in small had standover clearance (not even the mid-steps)
I tried out the C-8 or C-380 with belt drive. Besides the fact that I cannot use a twist grip to shift, I found the response kind of logey. I can't tell if that had to do with gearing distances being wider, the more uncomfortably upright position, or what, but I hated how the bike felt. There are too many variables and I cannot consider buying anything which I haven't ridden first.

And that, dear man, is where your other comment takes me. Slapping a motor on a bike I already have is also "buying a bike without riding it first" I guess, since I have no way of knowing how the assist will work for me. But at least I would know the bike fit. I don't see it as an ultimate solution but was considering the idea as a "first step" if it could be done cheaply enough. It seems I can get close to what I need if I spend enough money, but these bikes represent more than a half a year's total income. I could get what I need for so much less, so much more choice, if I were just "average" size. 😞

And thanks for the lovely photos!😎

Stefan, you always make me smile with your witty comments! :)
Fun to talk with you! :)

Specialized Dealers Around Chemung NY

Starting from 44 miles away, and you also probably have a phone, and perhaps... well... a car? :) I am sure you know it but... Select the e-bike model and size in the Specialized website, then click Find In-Store. A Vado 4.0 ST size S is waiting for you in Binghamton NY :)

Yes! Can I put on a controller and a torque sensor?
The point for a good e-bike is you do not need to look for another controller, other sensors or display, and you do not need to run around with the multimeter :)

You just ride the good e-bike :) I have owned 4 production e-bikes since 2019, and have never needed to think of controller, display, battery or sensors, and I even do not own a multimeter :D I though Aventon was a production e-bike?!

Fun to talk with you! :)

Specialized Dealers Around Chemung NY

Starting from 44 miles away, and you also probably have a phone, and perhaps... well... a car? :) I am sure you know it but... Select the e-bike model and size in the Specialized website, then click Find In-Store. A Vado 4.0 ST size S is waiting for you in Binghamton NY :)
I know that this is a tortuous multifarious thread but I know I have told the story at least once and referenced the problem with the Bado 4.0 a few times. I believe most of the story is in the very first post. The first ebike I bought, online, told it would fit, was a Vado 4.0. Loved how it rode, had zero clearance. In fact, the "step through" is a mid step with a steep top tube. It presses into my crotch and is hard against the entire front of my pubic bone. Any stop on uneven ground and I go over, a fast stop would be incredibly painful!😫

BUT WAIT!!! After I wrote the preceding paragraph I went to Specialized's website and looked again. The Vado I tried was a '22 model. They've changed the shape of the tubes and now the standover height is better. I called the store in Ithaca (Goddess knows how I will get there) and they have both a Vado and a Como in stock in Small! and the fellow told me that there are many variations on the Como; not all are belt drives. Woo Hoo! Thank you so much for giving me a push. :) I wouldn't have looked again except for considering everything you have said here very thoughtful and valid. At least hitchhiking (if that's what it will take) 40 some odd miles is better than 140 miles! And Specialized website is running sales on some of these too. Happy Day! (Okay, okay, bbabe, take it easy, don't count those chicks just yet. . .) ;)

Last edited:
The point for a good e-bike is you do not need to look for another controller, other sensors or display, and you do not need to run around with the multimeter :)

You just ride the good e-bike :) I have owned 4 production e-bikes since 2019, and have never needed to think of controller, display, battery or sensors, and I even do not own a multimeter :D I though Aventon was a production e-bike?!
Please share with us the four production ebikes you have owned and liked! Are any of them available in the US or they only EU treasures?😎

Please share with us the four production ebikes you have owned and liked! Are any of them available in the US or they only EU treasures?😎
  • Lovelec Diadem, a Czech made basic hub-drive motor e-bike with simple electronics and display. I could live with that e-bike if my appetite wouldn't have grown :) Besides, it is the only Direct-To-Customer e-bike I own. However, the manufacturer is only located 400 km away, and they are great on the remote support. (A local e-bike brand). I have lent that e-bike to a friend for a long use.
  • Specialized Vado 5.0 ST, which has turned into the current Specialized Vado 6.0 ST. It is broadly speaking like the U.S. Class 3 Gen 1 Vado 5.0 ST only with EU features required from a 45 km/h/28 mph e-bike. (Of course current Gen 2, Class 3 Vados are widely available in the U.S.)
  • Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro. A lovely, full-suspension e-MTB. I soon realised I didn't really want to become an MTB-er, so gave that e-bike to my brother who put it into a good use.
  • Specialized Vado SL 4.0 EQ (easily available in the U.S. as Class 3, also in Step-Through). I eventually converted it into a non-EQ sporty e-bike :)
Currently, the big Vado is my heavy duty e-bike: grocery shopping, very long rides (with extra battery), high mountain roads. While Vado SL is my sports/recreation machine I love riding on gravel and in rough terrain :)

1715892843597.png

Vado 6.0: On a workout with road cyclists :) 'Stefan is the only roadie that comes to a workout with a pannier!' :D

1715892972659.png

At the finish line of a 163 mile gravel race, Vado SL. It required as many as four Range Extender batteries and overnight recharging!

Last edited:
Oh yes, I do want to hear what you have to say; you're the expert with experience!
First of all lets acknowledge that several others in this group of mutually self-appointed experts just threw up in their mouth a little. This makes my day :). Wait did I say that last part out loud?

Some of what you say will lead to some more questions from me; I hope you don't mind. I'm the kind of person who wants to understand how things work, otherwise, I can't remember. I need to know the "why's" in order to get the picture.
Absolutely the best way to go about things. The more you know the less you'll want to take what someone else chooses to give you and tell you thats what you really wanted, and to forget about that other stuff on your shopping list.
As for a frame, finally, someone else who loves chomoly!
This seems the right time to leave my favorite observation on frame material here:
miyagi_frame[1].jpg

More seriously, I have alloy, titanium and chromoly frames. All of them have their strong points. Some have weak points as well. Old school chromoly has rather a lot to recommend it. Especially when it comes to an ebike platform where the stresses are high and chromoly's strength and forgiving nature outweigh its... weight. That is incidentally a theme of the ebike that cyclists generally take a while to get beat into their heads: The whole weight weenie thing has to be cast aside in favor of durability. This is why a cheapo Shimano HG400 cassette - pinned together steel - was once the epitome of ebike clusters, until SRAM decided to make their own out of tool steel (and charge $350+ for it). Now in 2024 we have more choices. The Microshift Advent X costs about $40.
My favorite bikes are chromoly, my Trek 520 touring and my Jamis Exile mtb. I thoroughly looked at all 3 Surly bikes you listed. Only one would fit and I can’t really see spending that for a frame when I already have many that fit and perhaps 2 or 3 that might work.

First question is, would you rule out a good aluminum frame?
Hell no I wouldn't. That road bike I pictured earlier is a Vitus 979 'duraluminium' frame from 1983, if I recall correctly. That was the first bike I built frame-up (in 1983), which explains the triple front and the straight block (it worked but definitely a learning experience I need not repeat). My next-most-recent build was the bike featured in this series:

Its a 2000 Intense Tracer frame I rescued cheap on Ebay, and it is alloy. And maybe the most fun bike I own. Rigid and light. With the rigidity offset by the full suspension (and thats a 1999 Marzocchi Bomber fork I also rescued for that build). And of course my Bullitts are alloy-framed. Those bikes use super-rigid alloy construction, but since the bike is 8 ft long, flex creeps in naturally and its deceptively comfortable for an alloy frame with no suspension.

With that said, chromoly options are the best candidates for an off the shelf conversion. Since you are already sold on chromoly I'll spare the peanut gallery waxed eloquence as to why. Keep loving it. And keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out :D. Alloy can work just fine if the planets align properly.

It seems that most of the ebikes, even high end, are made of aluminum. Granted, they are probably made of heavier tubing and more sturdily than non-electric bikes I would suppose. But I am a light rider.
Your body weight definitely offsets some of the factors that would lend one to favor alloy. Just remember the decision process is layered and your body weight is only one layer in the onion.

I have to say I'm not a fan of either of your two choices. I think they both are too old to make a safe ebike conversion. A lot of this has to do with the lack of disc brakes, but I am also looking at all of the parts on these bikes. I would say the Jamis is ideal IF it had disk brake mounts. But it doesn't. I would never build an ebike with any kind of caliper brake, even though I know some DIY'ers out there will say they have done it, and pooh-pooh the standard wisdom that any rim brake regardless of the flavor is not a long-term safe solution. Regardless of any good intentions to take it slow, the reality is an ebike is a faster animal with a fair bit of added weight to slow down safely and stop (and yes I know you are a very light rider). I've seen adjustable-angle stems like the Trek has give way under intense braking and as such I'll never trust them.

The Jamis is ideal in the sense it has a perfect down tube shape, and a real triangle with what seems to be plenty of room for a battery mount. Its also got frame bosses for a rack although the lower rear ones don't look particularly robust (I cracked my first steel ebike frame when a lower rack boss snapped that one time I overdid it and the frame was history with a fresh hole in the chainstay). I do love seeing a chain hanger on a frame again, though.

For both the Trek and the Jamis, I would out of the gate take it as a given the suspension fork will be retired in favor of a much better air fork. That 1999 Marzocchi I used on the red Intense was a miracle find in that it was 23 years old but appeared new... but even so it still needed all new seals. You can get a 'vintage' fork on ebay if you want to keep up appearances, or spend about $150-300 on an inexpensive or halfway decent air fork.

Also honestly for a modern ebike where you are going to be riding at speeds you otherwise never would be, with potholes rearing up at you a lot more quickly, I'd abandon any inclination to use ancient wheels, unless a pro has tuned them and signed off on their survivability (which will not help the poor pawls under the cassette body, or the cassette body itself). Otherwise... they won't survive. Simple as that. You'll start popping spokes too. Been there and done that, unfortunately. I know you don't want to go past 1.8-1.95 but at the least you should go a bit wider on rims to allow for a future BurroBabe who's gotten some e-experience under her belt and wants a ride less likely to rattle fillings and bash her lower back. At 62 my priorities in this regard are nothing like what they were when I was 22. Or even 52.
My other choice is a Jamis Exile mtb. It has a chromoly butted triangle frame. It's 13", has a Manitou Spyder fork which doesn't appear to have anything to attach a disc brake to. The rear stays have 2 drilled holes and another with a bolt in it on the inside of both sides. The front fork is about 16” axle to inside the top arch. Gears are 3 x 8, Shimano STX RC front crank and derailleur and the rear derailleur is just stamped “ integrated 8SK”. It also has stupid grip shifters which I cannot twist (My wrists are destroyed). I would need to change the flat bar to a riser with some ergonomic sweep as well.
Bikes like this from such a bygone era should be regarded as frame donors only. But in this case the frame is just a teeny bit too old given its lack of disk brake mounts. But its definitely a close fit. The drivetrain on this bike has no hope of working long term. You can see I think the same thing about the wheels (for 26" wheels my choice would be the indestructible SunRingle MTX39, or the AlexRims DM30, with the latter being a little narrower but only by a few mm).
It’s bottom bracket is 69mm wide, too narrow for the BBSHD according to Bafang’s website. I couldn’t find the other motor listed there. This bike has Sunrims CR18 and Parallax hubs. I’s lighter, without a rear carrier and with light street tires (also 26 x 1.95”) it weighs about 28.5#.
A 69mm bottom bracket is not at all a problem. The BBSHD comes in 3 widths: 68-72mm, 100mm and 120mm. The first size on that list would work just fine. Also the BBS02 is available in a 68-72mm width. 69mm is ideal.
I checked out the Microshift website to see the Advent X drivetrains. They don’t come in 8 speed but they do have other groupsets in 3 X 8 and 3 x 7. And I'm fine putting on a new group set that can handle the extra torque from a motor.
For a beginner build, you want the Advent X. Forget about the 3x systems. 8s and 7s systems are bottom of the barrel, qualitywise. It has been decades since anything was made that was 7s and not Walmart-level quality. You will be using a 1x as a mid drive will require a single front ring. Common wisdom is that a motor is so happy in a wider range of rpms that you need fewer gears. But for a cyclist, ideal cadence still rules and is unaffected by this, so unless you just want to throttle down the road you want 9, 10 or 11s. It so happens the Microshift Advent X is cheap, smooth, durable and effective. Here are two companion articles which go together on this subject. The first one gets into drivetrain options. Believe it or not 11s is ideal thanks in part to the 1x front limit, but 11s for a beginner is a lot tougher and much more expensive than doing 10s now that there is an inexpensive, quality matched drivetrain (derailleur, e-shifter, rear cluster and chain), just waiting to be installed with minimal investment. I put a wider (11-51T) 11s Sunrace CSMX8 cluster on my Big Fat Dummy last month and just the freaking cassette ran me $130. 9s is an option as well and 9s used to be the DIY builder's smart choice, but the Microshift 10s system is a jewel.

And yes in this first article I do mention 8s systems that are worth a damn... but its a very, very short list.

So M@, what do you think? Any of these bikes seem like they might work for conversion? And thanks in advance for any other advice or recommendations you can offer.
I would say no, but a frame like the Jamis with disk brake mounts would be ideal. Part of why I recommended picking something like a Surly Grappler was because the rest of the components on the bike were modern and safe. Plus the Grappler already used the Advent X drivetrain out of the gate. A bike like that would let you just pull the bottom braket off, plug in a motor, bolt on a battery and off you go. Otherwise you are going on a frame hunt and doing it the long way. Which can be a wonderfully rewarding project, but not sure you want to go there. My Intense Tracer, now renamed the Apostate, is loaded into my car tomorrow morning on its way to the Lower Sierras where it and I will spend the better part of a week poking around.

Incidentally, here is that bike, now-assembled, back when it had street tires on it. Schwalbe Pickups, which are hard, fast rollers.

pxl_20220418_224156943[1].jpg

Part of the reason I rechristened the bike 'Apostate' was its a dedicated mountain bike re-purposed for pavement. A Surly Grappler or a Marin Pine Mountain are good choices for a street ride when you consider the beefed up components are better suited to a life with electric assist.

Last edited:
It would be amazing if a Vado or Como worked out. The Vado has a shorter seat tube length that might even allow for a suspension post... It would a long shot, but who knows.

I would have ridden your Trek 520 and returned on the Specialized e-bike 😃

You must be in much better shape than I am Stefan. That bike shop is only 37 mi away but, even with the more upright positio on my Trek 520, and even if the tires were still good after sitting all these years, I don't think my back would have survived the first three miles or so up and then down the steep washboard dirt road on a bike with no suspension. And the owner of the shop had told me he did not have the Vado 4.0 in stock but he did have a small in the Vado 3.0 and a Como 3.0 as well as the cargo bikes that I could try out and then we could talk ordering. In fact, a friend of mine actually took me there yesterday and here's the news update.

FLASH! I actually got a ride to this bike shop yesterday from a friend and tried them all out. Eureka, the newer vato has plenty of standover clearance and fits me near perfectly as is. Even though it was the 3.0 with the shifters that are painful for me to work, the test ride, with taking not huge shells but some long ones, was exceptional. I learned a few things just trying this model. First, although I didn't think I necessarily wanted a class 3 over a class one bike, it was fantastic to get up to 25 miles per hour find just Eco or tour assessed and then, on the flat, just pedal up over 40 miles per hour with no great effort. I was having a blast. I would have gotten up faster but I was coming up on a stop sign soon so I got to test the brakes. Great stopping power at speed. I could see how I could actually go ask over tea kettle with these brakes (something I did on my second run at a bump on a BMX track, little snot nose who told me how to jump lied about applying brakes!) trying out the turbo Como I learned that I really do not like that position at all, just too upright. I also learned that, unfortunately, the SRAM NX shifters are even worse than the Alivio for my hands. I decided to try out the cargo bike just to test out the Microshift shifters and learned that the Advent x shifters were pretty much equivalent to the Deore the for my wrist. (I also learned that I was absolutely right about cargo bikes not being for me. I hadn't had time to do my back stretches and exercises before leaving home and I was doing fine on the other bikes. I hardly noticed the bumps in the pavement until I took the cargo bike just into the parking lot. Every crack in the pavement sent a shot of pain up my spine. Stupid 20-in tires and no seat post suspension.)

So, I asked the owner if he could switch out the shifters with Deore and he explained that the Shimano shifters wouldn't be compatible
with the other components but he looked up the components for pricing for me. The prices he quoted on the components were extremely reasonable, less than if I bought them online myself so I am sure he is being quite fair. He also said we might be able to keep the existing cassette but the Deore cassette would only be about 40 bucks anyway.

I spent too many hours last night struggling with a decision regarding whether or not to wait for the bike shop in Syracuse to get in all the Gazelles they ordered. But I think one last serendipitous circumstance has pushed me to a decision, ( there you have it guys, who have been singing the piss or get off the pot tune ) the fact that the Vado 4.0 in small is available only to consumers ordering directly for the unbelievable price of $2,750. So what am I going to do you may ask? Well, now I'm just trying to decide whether to go with that depressing black or 'flag-waving'-to-the Bulls-they-call -Troopers around here red. Right now I'm thinking about my last bike crash, in June last year, on my red Honda Helix 250 which left me with nine broken ribs. Maybe I'll just get that boring black and paint zebra stripes on it. 😜

Last edited:
I hardly noticed the bumps in the pavement until I took the cargo bike just into the parking lot. Every crack in the pavement sent a shot of pain up my spine. Stupid 20-in tires and no seat post suspension.)
The Haul ST has an exceptionally rough ride. I can't believe some reviews call it comfortable. I suspect the mind conflates the very smooth power delivery with overall smoothness. It's a headache machine that makes my rigid fork gravel bike feel like I'm gliding. Build quality is also not comparable to Specialized, Tern, Gazelle, etc., hence using the Globe sub-brand.

Unapologetically I went Giant.
Massive LBS network.
Also includes Momentum and Liv.

Buy what you want, or assemble. Your choice.
I prefer LBS commitment service.
Your comment made me realize that I didn't make it clear. The LBS owner told me that the Vado I wanted wasn't available to the dealer network, only for the direct to consumer network. Specialized has two pots of bikes. He told me to order it sent to him, he would get his cut from Specialized to build it up and I will pay for the extras. Win, win for both of us!

Your comment made me realize that I didn't make it clear. The LBS owner told me that the Vado I wanted wasn't available to the dealer network, only for the direct to consumer network. Specialized has two pots of bikes. He told me to order it sent to him, he would get his cut from Specialized to build it up and I will pay for the extras. Win, win for both of us!
Yes, you just choose the "Specialized Delivery" on the website. Do you have the option of your LBS delivering the Vado to your home? He would earn a bigger commission on that!

As I can understand, you would order a SRAM for Shimano drivetrain swap? A good idea! SRAM does not get a high opinion from my buddies. My brother specifically names it 'the SRAM vice' :D Are you choosing a 11 or 12-speed drivetrain? If it is the 11 speed, choosing the Shimano M5100 drivetrain with the 11-51T cassette is economic, and it ensures a wide gearing. I did such a swap on my Vado SL, that is, I have swapped a 10-speed Deore with the 11-speed M5100 Deore (11-51T) and am very happy about that!

I wonder how steep hills you have. The stock 48T chainring on the Vado is for the speed not for climbing. However, it would be reasonable for you just to test how Vado would be really working for you in real life! My Vado 6.0 has now a Shimano M7000 SLX cassette (11-46T) and it is running a 44T chainring: it has proven itself on a 15.4% grade climb just two days ago!

Yes, you just choose the "Specialized Delivery" on the website. Do you have the option of your LBS delivering the Vado to your home? He would earn a bigger commission on that!

As I can understand, you would order a SRAM for Shimano drivetrain swap? A good idea! SRAM does not get a high opinion from my buddies. My brother specifically names it 'the SRAM vice' :D Are you choosing a 11 or 12-speed drivetrain? If it is the 11 speed, choosing the Shimano M5100 drivetrain with the 11-51T cassette is economic, and it ensures a wide gearing. I did such a swap on my Vado SL, that is, I have swapped a 10-speed Deore with the 11-speed M5100 Deore (11-51T) and am very happy about that!

I wonder how steep hills you have. The stock 48T chainring on the Vado is for the speed not for climbing. However, it would be reasonable for you just to test how Vado would be really working for you in real life! My Vado 6.0 has now a Shimano M7000 SLX cassette (11-46T) and it is running a 44T chainring: it has proven itself on a 15.4% grade climb just two days ago!
I am so glad you brought up these questions! The Vado is coming with 11 sp so I would just stay with that. I didn't realize that I was pushing a 48t chainring! that explains how I could get up to about 44mph in only the mid-range of the gears, and I don't do super-fast cadence either. I think that, with the terrain here, I would opt for something more like you have on the 6.0. The roads, unless you are in the river valley riding the path along the river, is all rollers. The steepest roads are the ones leading up to where I live at a higher elevation. That 44 x 11 is needed on those. In fact, I'll have to check my 520. We may have dialed that one in when we customized the cranks as well. It may be as low as 42 x 11. And that was 30 years ago! Is that M7000 cassette an 11 or a 12?

And thanks so much for telling me about his being able to earn a bigger commission! I was toying with the thought of asking if he would deliver. After all, I don't have a car, but I didn't think he would want to. But if he does get an incentive. It would sure make my life a little easier. And now I don't have to feel like I'm asking too much or that I would have to pay him extra to do so. But I don't think I want my first ride to be all the way home from his shop!

And now what will I decide, white stripes to make it Zebra 🦓, or yellow stripes to make it more Vespa?🐝 (for those of you who don't do Latin, it is the name of a certain family of Yellow Jackets.) Hmmmmmm🤔, of course with Red I could go with scales, outlined in silver, for Dragon, but again, there was the Honda 250 I was planning to make a dragon as well. . . . . nah, it'll be black.

Is that M7000 cassette an 11 or a 12?
Meanwhile, Shimano seems to have updated their technology. I still can buy spare parts for my M7000-11 but of course Shimano is pushing the newer technology :)
My drivetrain is based on the Shimano CS-M7000-11 cassette in the 11-46T variant and a long cage Deore XT SGS derailleur.

Shimano makes you believe you need a Deore XT M8130 11-speed drivetrain with the Clamp Band Shifter Lever. This new drivetrain is based on the new Linkglide technology. If your LBS thinks it is a good way to go, go on with that! (It will give you a wide range 11-50T cassette).

I am for practical and more economical older solutions, such as the Deore M5100, which gives you a 11-51T 11-speed gearing, is inexpensive but reliable.
  • Shimano Deore RD-M5100 11-speed derailleur, Shadow RD+ clutch. It is as large as it fits the 51T largest cassette cog
  • Shimano Deore CS-M5100 11-speed cassette, 11-51T
  • Shifter: Shimano Deore SL-M5100, right hand side, 11-speed, clamp mounted (no I-Spec)
  • A 11-speed chain of a proper length, the best by Shimano or KMC
  • (Possibly a new Jagwire shifter cable unless the existing one could be re-used).
The main difference is the M5100 is a way cheaper in maintenance than the XT8130-11 is.
----------
You might keep your 48T chainring though. The benefit of the stock chainrings used on Vados is the holes in them are threaded, which allows for a simple installing, and the chainguard is provided. If you do not want to stain your legs, keeping the chainguard on the original chainring is a good idea :)
Note: the 48-51T gearing is the same as my 44-46T! Keep the chainring and chainguard! It takes many thousand of miles to wear a large chainring!

And thanks so much for telling me about his being able to earn a bigger commission! I was toying with the thought of asking if he would deliver. After all, I don't have a car, but I didn't think he would want to. But if he does get an incentive. It would sure make my life a little easier. And now I don't have to feel like I'm asking too much or that I would have to pay him extra to do so. But I don't think I want my first ride to be all the way home from his shop!
I am not sure if the Specialized Home Delivery (via the LBS) is offered in your area. I like your way of thinking anyway!

After all, I don't have a car,
I hahahah do but my car is just a piece of junk so we are in the identical position! :D

And now what will I decide, white stripes to make it Zebra 🦓, or yellow stripes to make it more Vespa?🐝(for those of you who don't do Latin, it is the name of a certain family of Yellow Jackets.) Hmmmmmm🤔, of course with Red I could go with scales, outlined in silver, for Dragon, but again, there was the Honda 250 I was planning to make a dragon as well. . . . . nah, it'll be black.
Hahaha! I need to see a photo of your Vado when you get it :) Good luck!

1716197475202.png

I could make the very same climb on my Vado in TURBO and 44-46T gearing myself on last Saturday! :) (Photo credits: Szymon Gruchalski Cycling).

Last edited:

one little gnome like guy i met was extolling the virtues of a 2x11,probably over 70 he was and he was a "spinning" going up a long steep upgrade at eagle rock as for me i believe a 3 spd is plenty,when i was on the eastern trail yesterday dodging rocks and small boulders,i realized 11 mph was plenty fast( dang near run out of juice in 5th gear) the most comfortable bike i ever rode was a full suspension cheaper brand,did ride it enough to wear out a rear tire,dumb like i let it go in the search for the"holy grail" of more power-finally realized you gotta feed them watts.

Back