I am finding it too hot to ride

Made the move and brought both batteries inside. Supposed to hit 119 today. It is probably 90 in the garage...

Attachments

• Cool batteries.jpg
    Cool batteries.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 159
If the humidity is high then the body's ability to cool with persperation is greatly reduced and heat stoke becomes a concern. There is also the heat banked in the asphalt that comes up to great the rider and so very different situation at 10am than at 2pm. In very hot weather it is best to avoid paved roads and bike paths and ride on dirt trails instead. I like to also take an extra water bottle and use it to wet my hair as this seems to help.

I air condition to 80 F in summer to keep the piano from molding. Too much A/C ruins one's ability to get out & enjoy the sun. Only gets to 98 here most summers, I can ride unpowered in that. Usually I start after lunch and finish the 30 mile trip by 1700. Worst is a light following wind same speed I'm going, no breeze at all. I chop up tree limbs and chop down saplings too out at my summer camp. Thinking of buying a 2 kw inverter for my tractor to use the electric sawzall more. I'm not getting any younger. Running 23 hp tractor is an addition for 2020, before I used a Murray 16 hp rider mower.
I sunburn pretty badly and wear dark blue mechanics wear all summer. Long sleeves long pants. 100% cotton and no sun gets through. I'm never as hot as if I get sunburned. Father was a strawberry blonde, I wish I had my Mother's Native Am beigh skin. Full helmet on the bike with chinguard, but Fox Rampage has lots of vents. I carry a couple of 20 oz bottles full of water. Burned through one today just in town. I don't sweat more than required to cool me, a great benefit. My father used to drip everywhere when he mowed the lawn in Houston. I have a full brim hard hat for field work. Keeps the sun off my ears & wind blows up under it to dry my hair. Better than the mesh top straw hat I bought at the Biltmore souvenier shop. I wear cotton/poly gloves on the bike to keep hands from sunburning.
When I was working my way through college, I unloaded trailers of door kits in the Houston summer. Up to 100 deg, usually 100% humidity. No electric fan. I would drink a gallon of water a day and soak my blue jeans the trailer unload days. Delivering doors off the truck to new home developments was so much more fun, with those big vent windows to blow on you.
I've never passed out from heat but I have had my vision blink on me here in Indiana. Time to sit down in the shade a bit. Some lady was going to call an ambulance for me in Charlestown 2 summers ago, just what I need a $400 ambulance ride & my bike stuck out 18 miles from the hospital when they send me out the door. Got a friend from church to come pick me up & get me away from her.
We ran daily in Kansas heat in the Army. You can train up to get used to anything. Long as you are healthy.

Last edited:
I air condition to 80 F in summer to keep the piano from molding. Too much A/C ruins one's ability to get out & enjoy the sun. Only gets to 98 here most summers, I can ride unpowered in that. Usually I start after lunch and finish the 30 mile trip by 1700. Worst is a light following wind same speed I'm going, no breeze at all. I chop up tree limbs and chop down saplings too out at my summer camp. Thinking of buying a 2 kw inverter for my tractor to use the electric sawzall more. I'm not getting any younger. Running 23 hp tractor is an addition for 2020, before I used a Murray 16 hp rider mower.
I sunburn pretty badly and wear dark blue mechanics wear all summer. Long sleeves long pants. 100% cotton and no sun gets through. I'm never as hot as if I get sunburned. Father was a strawberry blonde, I wish I had my Mother's Native Am beigh skin. Full helmet on the bike with chinguard, but Fox Rampage has lots of vents. I carry a couple of 20 oz bottles full of water. Burned through one today just in town. I don't sweat more than required to cool me, a great benefit. My father used to drip everywhere when he mowed the lawn in Houston. I have a full brim hard hat for field work. Keeps the sun off my ears & wind blows up under it to dry my hair. Better than the mesh top straw hat I bought at the Biltmore souvenier shop. I wear cotton/poly gloves on the bike to keep hands from sunburning.
When I was working my way through college, I unloaded trailers of door kits in the Houston summer. Up to 100 deg, usually 100% humidity. No electric fan. I would drink a gallon of water a day and soak my blue jeans the trailer unload days. Delivering doors off the truck to new home developments was so much more fun, with those big vent windows to blow on you.
I've never passed out from heat but I have had my vision blink on me here in Indiana. Time to sit down in the shade a bit. Some lady was going to call an ambulance for me in Charlestown 2 summers ago, just what I need a $400 ambulance ride & my bike stuck out 18 miles from the hospital when they send me out the door. Got a friend from church to come pick me up & get me away from her.
We ran daily in Kansas heat in the Army. You can train up to get used to anything. Long as you are healthy.
Lots of interesting stories. Thanks for sharing! Houston I know. I live 6 hrs south in the Valley from Houston. Pretty much the same, hot & humid. I gotta complain to the mayor about that.

Move to the UK and this problem will go away 😁

Saying that its not bad today, nice and sunny, High of 29°C (84f) but we rarely if ever see the temperatures you guys do.... I'm not sure how you manage with it...

Move to the UK and this problem will go away 😁

Saying that its not bad today, nice and sunny, High of 29°C (84f) but we rarely if ever see the temperatures you guys do.... I'm not sure how you manage with it...
Air conditioning in homes, businesses and cars and find shady parking spots if possible. Also, dark bars and taverns are good too provided they have cold AC...

Air conditioning in homes, businesses and cars and find shady parking spots if possible. Also, dark bars and taverns are good too provided they have cold AC...
At least cold beer. If the power is down, ice the beer first.

When I visited Phoenix a few years ago I notice there were no homeless people, actually no people at all walking around during the day. Now I know why, it hit 115 degrees that day and it was still over 100 degrees at midnight, but it was a dry heat.

Around here there are "cooling centers" where you can take refuge from the heat, but you still see a fair amount of homeless pushing shopping carts and riding bikes around town loaded up with gear...

Yesterday set an all time record for Palm Springs, 123 degrees Fahrenheit or 50.55 Celsius.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 160
I stopped and visited with a friend in a little town on our rail trail. We talked about 15 minutes, him on the sidewalk, me with one tire on the tar and chip road. I was on my e-Fat Tad trike. I took off to leave and had a chunk of tar stuck to one front tire. Now that's hot!

I'm so glad we don't experience as much heat in Poland as you do in some North American areas. Yes, it is what we call "hot summer", that is, temperatures from and above 30 C (86 F). At least humidity is moderate: neither dry nor very humid.

Many cyclists in Poland turned out to be soft: they feel the heat is unbearable for them to ride out. A friend of mine who is a competing cyclist tends to ride out for his workout pretty early ("before breakfast"), so he might make 80 miles plus in four-and-half hour. Near to end of his rides, high temperature combined with his effort become unbearable, he says.

Night riding has suddenly become very popular here.

As for me and my riding buddies: nobody is soft :) As long as you ride, drink a lot, and take the benefit of wind cooling, riding is possible here, and we made two metric centuries on last weekend :) Now, a water bottle or two do not last long for a traditional -- non-equipped -- bike riders. Good I ride a fully equipped powerful Vado with two panniers; I can carry water for my riding pack!

Back