I am finding it too hot to ride

We already had a mini heat wave last week where the temps were 105-107 and I was out in it every day. Most I have ridden in is about 112. This coming Wednesday is scheduled to crack 100 again at 102, and Thursday and Friday are both set for 110. I'm a commuter rider. I have a couple of cars, so I could drive, but that is a surrender - and a loss of exercise - I am not willing to make. I rode in all weather as an analog cyclist too. You just have to sack up. And be smart about it as there are consequences if you don't take the heat seriously.

Riding an ebike vs. an analog bike in high heat is quite a bit easier but not for quite the reason you think. The higher speeds of an ebike generate a breeze - even if its a blast furnace - that is extremely beneficial versus the old-school 5-10 mph slog. 110 and managed pedal effort/cadence/breeze on an ebike is easier than 95 and grinding on an analog bike.

Bring a lot of water. I do a single 1L Camelbak bottle if and only if I know I am passing some parks with working water fountains for refills. I plant the big bottles on the top tube, up front, as they are too big for bottle cages. But there are bottle holders for them and their MOLLE strap mountings work great on the front of the top tube, especially if there is internal cable routing to hold the pouch up forward. You can see one in this pic and if the sun looks bright and hot... it is. I am alone on what is usually a crowded mixed-use bike path. Everyone is indoors hiding from the heat.

PXL_20210529_201401465_cropped.jpg

If I am just running errands thru the city with no definite refill spots, I'll pack along a 3L hydration bladder. This bike has one netted to the rear deck. I used a nozzle kit and 6+ feet of food grade silicone hose (Ebay) to run it up thru the handlebars. After these pics were taken, I subbed in a magnetic mount for the velcro you see here.

IMG_20200514_163026.jpg

If you wait until you are thirsty to start drinking, you've set yourself up for heat exhaustion. Start sipping occasionally, immediately on ride start.

Heat is tough on the motor and battery. Put a wired temperature sensor on your battery and pay attention to it. Learn what is normal in terms of temperature so you can tell when its going overboard. Also your motor gets hot when the weather is cool. When its super hot and you are on a sustained pedelec cruise that is probably eating a sustained 5 amps, that motor can get blistering. Help it. Heat sinks work wonders. I've had motors reach casing temps of 165 Fahrenheit, but with heat sinks attached with double-stick thermal tape (special stuff - cheap on amazon - designed to conduct heat thru itself) I've gotten motor surface temps down to 130. This goes for mids especially but also for geared hubs. Nylon gears can become peanut butter with the right amount of sustained heat.

PXL_20210323_002809971.jpg

EDIT: Big one: Helmet has to have vents, vents... VENTS. Those solid Bern helmets and similar are egg cookers. Motorcyclists wear solid helmets and can because they are not exercising.

And of course, its important to be mindful of the weather forecast so you know what you are getting into before its too late.

Last edited:
We already had a mini heat wave last week where the temps were 105-107 and I was out in it every day. Most I have ridden in is about 112. This coming Wednesday is scheduled to crack 100 again at 102, and Thursday and Friday are both set for 110. I'm a commuter rider. I have a couple of cars, so I could drive, but that is a surrender - and a loss of exercise - I am not willing to make. I rode in all weather as an analog cyclist too. You just have to sack up. And be smart about it as there are consequences if you don't take the heat seriously.

Riding an ebike vs. an analog bike in high heat is quite a bit easier but not for quite the reason you think. The higher speeds of an ebike generate a breeze - even if its a blast furnace - that is extremely beneficial versus the old-school 5-10 mph slog. 110 and managed pedal effort/cadence/breeze on an ebike is easier than 95 and grinding on an analog bike.

Bring a lot of water. I do a single 1L Camelbak bottle if and only if I know I am passing some parks with working water fountains for refills. I plant the big bottles on the top tube, up front, as they are too big for bottle cages. But there are bottle holders for them and their MOLLE strap mountings work great on the front of the top tube, especially if there is internal cable routing to hold the pouch up forward. You can see one in this pic and if the sun looks bright and hot... it is. I am alone on what is usually a crowded mixed-use bike path. Everyone is indoors hiding from the heat.

View attachment 90102

If I am just running errands thru the city with no definite refill spots, I'll pack along a 3L hydration bladder. This bike has one netted to the rear deck. I used a nozzle kit and 6+ feet of food grade silicone hose (Ebay) to run it up thru the handlebars. After these pics were taken, I subbed in a magnetic mount for the velcro you see here.

View attachment 90100

If you wait until you are thirsty to start drinking, you've set yourself up for heat exhaustion. Start sipping occasionally, immediately on ride start.

Heat is tough on the motor and battery. Put a wired temperature sensor on your battery and pay attention to it. Learn what is normal in terms of temperature so you can tell when its going overboard. Also your motor gets hot when the weather is cool. When its super hot and you are on a sustained pedelec cruise that is probably eating a sustained 5 amps, that motor can get blistering. Help it. Heat sinks work wonders. I've had motors reach casing temps of 165 Fahrenheit, but with heat sinks attached with double-stick thermal tape (special stuff - cheap on amazon - designed to conduct heat thru itself) I've gotten motor surface temps down to 130. This goes for mids especially but also for geared hubs. Nylon gears can become peanut butter with the right amount of sustained heat.

View attachment 90103

EDIT: Big one: Helmet has to have vents, vents... VENTS. Those solid Bern helmets and similar are egg cookers. Motorcyclists wear solid helmets and can because they are not exercising.

And of course, its important to be mindful of the weather forecast so you know what you are getting into before its too late.

WOW!

When I needed to work I rode my Vespa, I rode in +115 degree F but never once thought of riding my analog bike in that heat.

WOW!

When I needed to work I rode my Vespa, I rode in +115 degree F but never once thought of riding my analog bike in that heat.
This isn't Vegas but it gets hot here. Back in the 1980's I rode a Stumpjumper - back when they were hardtails with 'fat' 1.75" tires - and gave myself heat exhaustion twice. Then I built a road bike - a Vitus 979 aluminum/magnesium alloy 59cm frame with a Mavic SSC component group. Even though it was bordering on an XL frame size, the bike weighed 19 lbs and change. Never again had a heat problem. 11,000 miles on that bike in my first year and it was all commuting and transportation. Rain or shine, 365 I rode or I stayed home. After a fashion I graduated, got a job, car etc. but I've still kept up with riding as primary transpo without regard to weather.

My relatives in the Phoenix area claim to keep their a/c set at 85, and say it often feels a bit too cool when they first step into the house..
That's hotter than I like it. 80 is good during the day and a few degrees cooler at night but 78 does feel pretty cool perfect for sleep.

that kind of heat could damage your batteries.
Sure will. This is why I have temperature sensors attached to my pack casings, I watch them as I ride. It can mean the difference between taking the long way home and getting an extra workout, or instead making a beeline back to the barn.

I have 7 ebikes at present. For most of them, for the summer, I pull the pack and bring it into the house where its air-conditioned. those bikes are retired during the hot months. For the ones that have to stay rideable on demand, I have an ... air conditioned garage :D

IMG_20180702_162042.jpg

That pic was from 2018. This summer, the ti bike is still inside sitting in the same spot, but the Bullitt has taken the place of the Purple Thing on the left. And since I want to be able to ride my Big Fat Dummy this summer, I have that battery pack set up as a quick-detach. No way can I add an 8-ft-long bus in that same space so the bike stays in the garage but the pack is inside.

Sure will. This is why I have temperature sensors attached to my pack casings, I watch them as I ride. It can mean the difference between taking the long way home and getting an extra workout, or instead making a beeline back to the barn.

I have 7 ebikes at present. For most of them, for the summer, I pull the pack and bring it into the house where its air-conditioned. those bikes are retired during the hot months. For the ones that have to stay rideable on demand, I have an ... air conditioned garage :D

View attachment 90135

That pic was from 2018. This summer, the ti bike is still inside sitting in the same spot, but the Bullitt has taken the place of the Purple Thing on the left. And since I want to be able to ride my Big Fat Dummy this summer, I have that battery pack set up as a quick-detach. No way can I add an 8-ft-long bus in that same space so the bike stays in the garage but the pack is inside.

Here in Deep South Texas it does get over 100 plus the humidity so it’s rough but you get used to it. I used to ride right after work at 5:30 on my Roubaix road bike. Covered up with the white sleeves and took two water bottles. By the time I got back I would be drenched in sweat but the temps would have cooled off to mid 90’s.

Now I have gotten used to the hot temps again but this time my cycling bottles have been changed to 24 oz Takeya metal vacuum bottles filled with ice water. Love it with the ice lasting well beyond the ride.

I hear you down in Tucson. My solution is to ride at 0430. It's mostly in high 60s or low 70s and starting to get light in June. Also beats most of the traffic. You probably need to start at 0300 and even then it's warm. But like you said...It's A Dry Heat!
temperature here in the NW same as march, 60s, but it´s spose ta hit 70 tomorrow.

I leave the house about 20 minutes before sunset and pull in the drive in the dark. I love night riding on our Greenway on hot nights. At that time around here, the start of the ride can be in the 90s at the worst. I just won't ride in the middle of the day.
Ahhhh, riding at night. I used to really look forward to riding home from work at midnight. Almost all downhill.
I'll have to get back to riding then once it starts getting too hot during the day.

CN

Last edited:

View attachment 90135

I'm pretty sure there's more stuff you can get to put on your bikes. Why stop there?

CN

Back