I am finding it too hot to ride

crap should not have ridden it was 102 but we were going on a bike path surrounded by plants that's usually cooler. but it was bad getting to ig my garmin got to 118 we went to the river and soaked for awhile got wet can came home not a bad coming home but not great. almost overheated.
our porch by the black top is the high temp the back porch is in the shade.

View attachment 91371View attachment 91373
Yeah, you folks are breaking heat records. Not a good thing.

Yeah, you folks are breaking heat records. Not a good thing.
No riding did not help like it usually does partly because or was too early I think but it is still 102 at 7:39 the river helped it was only 99 there waded and got wet
8EF16775-E39C-4559-845E-407E54DE7DCE.jpeg
7C602063-F6BA-4F94-BCC9-B9BA3F8F53DF.jpeg

Over a hundred degrees . Sounds like that dip might have been real important. Ride along the river if you can till this heatwave breaks, that's a very good idea.

Over a hundred degrees . Sounds like that dip might have been real important. Ride along the river if you can till this heatwave breaks, that's a very good idea.
ya we were wobbly when we got there and back. it was not quite as bad coming back we got our hair and shirts wet. but it would have been better going around now so the son was not so directly overhead. we will ride early tomorrow.

I'm riding about an hour to an hour and a half and rocking and rolling about 6:30 or 7:00. By the time I get back home I need to hose myself down.

Really 106 is a serious fever temperature. When the air is above body temperature, you can't cool down. Dangerous stuff.

ya over 100 is so bad. if we went later when the sun was not directly overhead it would not have been as bad. not great but not as bad. it was better when we came home. it can feel good riding at 9-0 verses walking or riding the bus.
we are going out right after we eat breakfast do whatever we want to do go to Chinese for lunch then come home and live in the bedroom with the ac.

I have heard that many people in your area don't even have A/C because they didn't need it in past years. True ?

I have heard that many people in your area don't even have A/C because they didn't need it in past years. True ?
we don't have a lot of days above 90 in a row usually we used to have more. we went years without it suffer a few days. but Now we need it but only have it in the bedroom costs too much to buy the equipment to cool the whole place. but every year we have a run on AC units. my daughter in her remodel is getting whole house heat and AC but with everything being so slow they are way behind and stuck without this weekend.

Absolutely true. The idea is (was) laughable. Who the heck needs air conditioning in the maritime Pacific NW?? However, if you live in a forest of concrete with rivers of asphalt running through it, there is no respite from the heat. I feel sorry for city dwellers and people stuck in traffic.

Me, I built a strawbale house in real forest. Yesterday, it was 94 in the shade outside, 101 in the sun, but 75 inside my house, with no air conditioning, thanks to two ft thick walls.

I live in the deserty part of the PNW and have AC. I just returned from a ride. It was 91 when I left the house this morning and an hour or so later it is 94. I used a neck cooler thingie that came from Costco. You wet it and put it on the back of your neck. I refreshed it with ice water during the ride.

I feel sorry for the cherry pickers. They are having to stop picking when temps go up, but it is still hard, hot work. I love to eat the cherries and the season looks to be short because of the heat. This makes me sad. :( Very sad. 😢

Note to others: I lived on the wet side for many years. I bought a room AC because my house, like many, was built with lots of big windows in the PNW style. It was well insulated, but I wasn't sleeping well. Got the bedroom cooled off and life was much better.

Left the house at 5:45 am (61 degrees), was back just before 9:00 (80 degrees).

When I topped off the water bottle I poured a bottle full on my head first.

Back