Helmet, lock and air pump for an e-bike novice

Depends on whether we're talking about at home or on the road air pumps. That's kind of small but it's bigger than I'd want to carry around. And it looks smaller than I'd want at home. You're right though about running out of CO2. When it's gone it's gone. I always carry at least six or so 25 gr carts and haven't run out yet. And, man, they are so much faster and easier than any pump!

TT
this is made for bigger tires it pumps a lot of air for its size and it does not run out. I usually carry 3 but one not get the tire to 60 psi so a little with the hand pump.

I started having three spare tubes because sometimes one would leak. so there goes a c02. a pump is good to get a tube installed. I have found the valves not tight on new tubs so the nI took the c02 off the valve unscrewed another cartridge. now Check the valves before I fill them.

I started having three spare tubes because sometimes one would leak. so there goes a c02. a pump is good to get a tube installed. I have found the valves not tight on new tubs so the nI took the c02 off the valve unscrewed another cartridge. now Check the valves before I fill them.
Lezyne pump heads tend to unscrew the valve cores in Presta valves if you aren't careful and aren't paying attention.

Forget cable locks, they're cut is seconds. "
The $12 cable master sells at home stores, yes. The $15 schwinn one at the grocery store, yes. The $80 1/2" SS sling I use, I tried it. 49 minutes with a $30 chanlock 8" diagonal cutter. $300 StainlessSteel rated cable cutter can do it in 5 seconds, but I don't see the men in my area carrying those. $80 bolt cutters, maybe one time. Then throw it away and buy another one.

Most bicycle thefts here are because the riders made it easy. A rider figures the bike is in view or I’m just 2 minutes away… OOPS! In my world a lock is just a tool to SLOW DOWN a determined thief. No lock will save any bike from the professional thief’s grasp. It’s borderline boring when in every thread someone feels the need to remind us of the obvious. Cables, u-locks, and every locking device has a weak spot. But the biggest weak spot is not using any lock.

Be informed, be safe and be vigilant.

The Dutch came out with a standard in 2016 called NTA-8776. I recommend that you should look for the NTA-8776 in helmets. In addition, Virginia Tech is where the NFL, NHL and NCAA football goes to study and improve helmet design. VT also performs testing for bike helmets. You may wish to visit their website. Helmets helmets of interest are the Specialized Tactic 4, the Xnito and the Bern Hudson.
-The Tactic 4 is a MTB helmet that ranks at the top of the VT helmet scores. It has a MIPS liner and meets the NTA-8776 standard.
-The Xnito is a Urban helmet, does pass the NTA-8776 standard but doesn't have MIPS. I like that it has lights built in the front and back. These lights are to help you to be seen by cars at night, therefore preventing an accident.
-The Bern Hudson is also a good consideration. It has the NTA-8776, MIPS and a light on the rear only.
All of those helmets are affordable. Make sure you're getting a proper fit. But before you buy a helmet or anything bike related, it's a good idea to watch YouTube reviews.

Securing you bike in LA is not easy. Thieves will go to great length to steel your bike or things from of your bike...
...Once again I recommend watching YouTube videos on bike thefts and bike lock reviews.
Unfortunately, if a thief has the right tools and enough time any lock can be defeated. If you happen to be in a dicy area, don't leave it. Forget cable locks, they're cut is seconds. "U"/"D"locks are better if you get a quality one. Chain locks also can be good but the truly secure ones are heavy.
I happen to have many locks. My main lock is the Abus 540. The 540 features a convenient frame mounting system. That way I always have my lock with me on any ride. For a short period I think that it's an okay lock, but Abus gives the lock some kind of extra high rating, in reality it means nothing to a motivated thief. I also have chain lock that has a noose. The noose allows the chain to be applied more efficiently. If I know that I will be leaving my bike for a while, I'll double up on my locks.
If you have quick release wheel skewers, you need to replace them with locking skewers. If you have things on your bike that are easy to remove, it's best to take those with you or you may suffer the consequences.
If you have something that can be removed in seconds, always take those things with you when you leave your bike.
Finally understand that thieves have been known to rob bikes from garages. I made a narrow ramp to role my bike upstairs to inside of my apartment.
Good land man, thanks for reminding me why I retired to Minnesnowta and escaped the Left Coast. 20 years of traveling around the LC was 19 years to long. In the early 70s I had no lock on my Compagnola/Reynolds 531 butted road bike. I brought it in or didn’t shop or visit where I couldn’t. Sadly no eBike will ever be that light.

Good land man, thanks for reminding me why I retired to Minnesnowta and escaped the Left Coast. 20 years of traveling around the LC was 19 years to long. In the early 70s I had no lock on my Compagnola/Reynolds 531 butted road bike. I brought it in or didn’t shop or visit where I couldn’t. Sadly no eBike will ever be that light.
My wife is a fellow escapee from the Hotel California. It was quite a culture shock for her moving to the Pocono Mountains of PA. She can only ride part of the year but she says she's much happier here.

Hi sc00ter,

Good points. I think for the air pump i was intending for something to just keep at my home. Like you pointed out if something happens on the road I'll deal with it. Is there some special type of air pump for an ebike or just anything like a schwin will do?
If you already have Ryobi batteries for other power tools, check this one out. Reasonably fast and VERY convenient.

Don't buy a helmet designed in a cool or cold climate when you live in a warm one.

The thing about helmets that is seldom brought up is comfort in the heat. In California it gets hot. A helmet like the Bern and similar 'urban' helmets have poor ventilation. I used one like it until I switched to a Bell that had a ton of air vents and then oh. My. God. what a difference in comfort. And when I am talking about comfort its no small matter to be baking your brain in a bucket when its 100+ fahrenheit in the shade, versus something made with ventilation in mind. A helmet you put in your pack because its too hot to use it is less effective.

I wear a circa-2017 Bell Super 3R, and I have a Bell Super Downhill, both with removable chin guards that I never remove. But I also have a more recent Super Air (also with a removable chin guard) that is both light weight and very protective. It is as light as the Super 3R but has the inner MIPS-functional protective shell - not just a plastic membrane - of the Super Downhill. the 'Air' part of the name gives you an idea Bell took ventilation seriously.

As to bike pumps, do yourself a big fat favor and step up to the modern alternative: The portable air compressor. They are cheaper in fact than a quality hand pump (I own multiple Lezyne XL and road pumps) and if you buy the right one, its got enough battery power in it so its not possible for you to run out.

I use the two CycPlus models I linked and described here. The smaller and more expensive one is my preference (that figures) but functionally I have not yet been able to screw up the bigger, lighter, cheaper one. And they have enormous batteries versus competing models. Recently I found my rear tubeless fat tire on my Big Fat Dummy was totally flat. I connected the pump and it took it to my desired 17 psi with battery to spare. The tire was a Vee Snowshoe XL so its a monster 26x4.7.

Linked at the same site is a pump that never runs out either as it connects to the ebike battery, but time has moved forward and the little portable ones can be relied upon now, if you pick smart.

EDIT: Also something to think about on helmets: I bought a Super Air R which has the chin guard. Its a $300 helmet. I paid $190. When you find a helmet you like, click around on all the different colors. Chances are one of them didn't sell well and is discounted. On Amazon right now, the Super Air (no 'R') in my size is $235, but the maroon one is $164. the blue Hi Viz is $139. Same helmet, discontinued color.

Last edited:
But I also have a more recent Super Air (also with a removable chin guard) that is both light weight and very protective. It is as light as the Super 3R but has the inner MIPS-functional protective shell - not just a plastic membrane - of the Super Downhill. the 'Air' part of the name gives you an idea Bell took ventilation seriously.
I agree. Bell Super Air R Mips Spherical is a very well ventilated helmet. I ride in it without the chin-guard. The only drawback is the high price. I am sure there are many well ventilated helmets in the market. My other summer choice is KASK Rapido, which is well ventilated and lightweight. The Bell helmets you mentioned are relatively heavy (the price for their strength). Not sure about the KASK availability in the U.S. though.

All you guys recommending helmets should get me motivated to look for a new one. Only thing is most local bicycle shops carry road bike style helmets, no urban style. Still gonna take some time and look around though. My REI was picked over, like I missed a huge in store helmet sale.

And to the OP about pumps. I have an air compressor in my garage. Now concerning portable pumps, always stash a roll of quarters on your ebike. If you get a flat in a urban area a gas station is always close by. The old free air days are long gone. The last free one on my way to work was a Kroger, now its a $1.50! Even my WaWa charges for air now. The insanity!

We get KASK helmets in the USA but I've never seen one in a store, only online. One thing I'll never buy online is a helmet, at least not the first time. Maybe once I get a good fitting one that I like I might buy the same helmet online.

We get KASK helmets in the USA but I've never seen one in a store, only online. One thing I'll never buy online is a helmet, at least not the first time. Maybe once I get a good fitting one that I like I might buy the same helmet online.
Well the only thing you need is to measure the head circumference. Helmets for given size are adjustable. All my helmets have been bought online.

the Bell helmets you mentioned are relatively heavy (the price for their strength).
I bought the Super Downhill because it was a step up in protection with its Spherical ball/socket protective MIPS config. But its too much of a good thing I found due to weight and increased size.
The_Great_Gazoo[1].jpeg

I've been reaching for my Super3R by default because it is much lighter and a bit more comfortable. The Super Air is in the same ballpark as the 3R, or its lighter.
Agreed. ;) One is not enough. I can get by with two but find myself using three. Summer, winter, and spring/fall versions.
In the winter I just use tape to stop up the forward facing vents, and wear a beanie under the helmet. At end of winter the tape comes off easy thanks to it being painter's tape.
IMG_20181110_071749.jpg

Last edited:
The best helmet is one that fits well and you wear, every time you ride. I have a Specialized in hi-viz yellow to maybe get noticed by the cages. Same color for my motorcycle helmet too. Locks are just a deterrent now, for a lazy thief, due to the cordless grinders and the like, watch where you park if you can. No idea about air pumps, I just use my compressor and always have my mobile phone if I have a problem I can't solve on the road. I rarely get too far from civilization. Congrats on the new bike and have fun.
helmet_001.jpg
IMG_20210515_154748321.jpg

Last edited:
Back