Burnt to a Crisp: Name and Fame for E-Bikes Aflame (Open Thread of E-Bike Fires)

Asher

There are tons of stories of e-bike fires, but for whatever reason, fire departments and reporters can't be bothered to share the maker of the e-bike in question. I imagine most are nameless imports, but there are still some with recognizable brands.

But there are exceptions - this thread is to document them. If you see a story of an e-bike that burned, and can identify the maker, post it here.

Also, it's possible that the e-bike that burned was actually ignited by a neighboring e-bike - note if this was or may have been the case.

1. Lunacycles Sur Ron, NYC April 20, 2022

2. Rad Power Bikes, Eugene, OR, January 2023.

3. Rad Power Bike fire alleged by State Farm, Wycombe, PA 2022

4. Super73 RX

5. Rad Power battery fire, UK

6. Rad Power battery fire, NYC 2021

I did a brief cursory search of brands Juiced, Aventon, Lectric and Ride1Up, did not find any genuine mentions of fires.

Last edited:
The photo of that line of charging batteries from that Curbed article is alarming
36b6707197faedefa08fd17206a50deca5-EBIKE-03.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Perhaps some of the Infrastructure bill money coming into New York City could be used to build safer charging facilities?

A bike came to my workshop and I looked it over outside. It had water incursion into the cells with lithium crystals growing out the discharge port. The guy left the bike before I spotted the problem. The battery is now outside under an upside down steel wheelbarrow. Until he can collect it. But that could be a problem. I heard the house where he lived caught fire and one guy died. The repairs including the new HQ battery added up. https://www.petaluma360.com/article...tify-man-who-died-during-petaluma-house-fire/
Edit:
Here is what that bike looks like now. It was the very worst mess of wires and connectors. The drive train was shot. It didn't shift. The pedals were junk. The brakes didn't work. The controls were unattached. I installed the new battery and fixed everything.

Attachments

• DSCF0793[1].JPG
    DSCF0793[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:
I don't want to be in the same building with a exposed lithium. I guess it's not as bad as sodium, but still...

Sen Schumer & NY Mayor Adams committed $1 million of Inflation Recovery Act funds to repurpose newsstands as battery charging hubs for delivery riders https://www.nyc.gov/office-of-the-m...t-in-nation-street-deliveristas-hubs-serve#/0
It's a good move, but I hope it's not used as a distraction for the fire department's inaction on the indoor charging sites. There's no reason the city can't force those indoor sites to be reasonably safe too. Not directed at you, just some people want to focus on 'the positive' when the negative side needs to be dealt with too

We have your post from September 2021, where an Ecotric caught fire while charging in an Austin TX hotel. It is an Ecortic. The first releases used the same battery as in the photo.

In the Ecotric facebook group, another guy had smoke coming out of the same battery while charging. Had time to post a video while it was happening. I guess it stopped, and Ecotric gave him a new battery,

We have your post from September 2021, where an Ecotric caught fire while charging in an Austin TX hotel. It is an Ecortic. The first releases used the same battery as in the photo.

In the Ecotric facebook group, another guy had smoke coming out of the same battery while charging. Had time to post a video while it was happening. I guess it stopped, and Ecotric gave him a new battery,
Regarding the thread, one guy claimed it wasn't an OEM battery, which if true, Ecotric can't be blamed for. Do you have a link to that post in the FB group.

This was posted a few times on EBR already, but is relevant to this thread:

Incidents/Injuries:
Ancheer has received six reports of incidents involving fire, explosions, or sparks, including four reports of burn injuries.

Those Ancheer bikes are so crappy. The closest thing to BMS in inside the display (not in the battery pack) and the owner's manual says that you need to charge it while watching the bike and to unplug the charger when it gets close to a full charge. The battery pack is in a nylon sack that hangs off the handle bar. I pulled the fired motor from a bike that is almost as bad today.

Attachments

• BadBuilds10.JPG
    BadBuilds10.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 156
This was posted a few times on EBR already, but is relevant to this thread:

Incidents/Injuries:
Ancheer has received six reports of incidents involving fire, explosions, or sparks, including four reports of burn injuries.
I bet there would be more but the things no doubt are not working :D

Here is one on a Bikonit Wart Hog;

No one is spared with the current chemistry. Sadly the big names wrap things up in litigation and non disclosure agreements. We should be howling at the top of our lungs for standards and improved chemistries. 20 years n Las Vegas taught me all about corporate power lawyers, non disclosures, and buried news stories. I used to believe those tales were an overreaction and paranoia. No more…

This message came in from my website this morning. I replied but my message was rejected by her Apple server. This is the recalled model number, 1907. She can leave the battery at home!
How can we help?
I need to order a battery for my Electric bike. It is a Ancheer mountain bike. It is a a M001907 lithium battery. I got ripped off two times trying to get a battery from China so I’m hoping that you will have one.

Some poor guy on the DIY Ebikes group on Facebook is reporting his battery burned his house down. It was a UPP battery and he was using a Luna adjustable charger with output set all the way to minimum (1 amp) and 80% voltage (55.4v versus the usual 58.8v). The insurance company retrieved whats left of the pack and charger for testing. My guess is its another UPP battery owner who thought he was getting a bargain until he didn't. However since I have also experienced Luna advanced charger failures (3 units failing to stop current output at the target voltage), it could have been the charger as well.

The tragic thing is there are posters in that group saying the owner should have stuck with the manufacturer's charger... which means they would have trusted a lowest-cost, cheapest-possible product simply because its provided by the battery seller, rather than having the slightest inkling of charger reliability and safety (and why such chargers should not be held up as any kind of gold standard) ... and thats on top of the concept of being unaware of the dangers of buying a cheap pack from a seller whose safety record they have not researched.

Back