E-Bike Batteries Are Catching on Fire Way Too Often And delivery workers are demanding safe charging stations.

Just like a recipe from Good Housekeeping.
Not hardly. Read the info posted. Their inspections are intense and precise. They are the best you can hope for. After that seal goes on you're on you're own. As it should be for all responsible motorized vehicle operators. Some folks actually abuse the bikes and batteries. Can you believe it? lol

Sorry, I deleted some posts because of pending stuff regarding a a respected friend in honor of their situation.

Not hardly. Read the info posted. Their inspections are intense and precise. They are the best you can hope for. After that seal goes on you're on you're own. As it should be for all responsible motorized vehicle operators. Some folks actually abuse the bikes and batteries. Can you believe it? lol
Knowing the turd that Ecotric passes off as a safe battery gives me zero confidence in a UL certification.

Relax. Salt air won't hurt it. Just keep it out the water. lol Charge with battery on bike. Allow 2 hr. cool down after riding before recharging. Enjoy.
First, for readers, I apologize for repeating my comments but this is critical. Moisture intrusion and especially salt is not a problem IF we take care.

Both Luna and the other shop I worked for in California sold a lot of batteries to customers in coastal California. While working for both I saw the corrosion that occurred on the connection between the base and the case. The slotted connections were the worse, but moisture buildup from never removing the battery will definitely become a problem. Add some salt and you have the perfect storm.

There are all sorts of posts showing us how to replace the connction blades on Hailong packs and eventually Hailong improved things with pin typed connections

HOWEVER this is easily solved by retine maintenace abd a good protctive coating. ACF50 and Boeshiled will both completely protect connections and electical/electronic components. DO occassionally pull any battery from it's mount and teat the connections. All will be perfect.

Another example of moisture and salt damage here on EBR

We do the same treatment here in coastal Minnesota. But in our case the salt is from our winter months of tons of road salt being spread.

Treating ALL connections takes just a couple of dollars in material and under a half hour in labor. I treat twice a year on bikes that get ridden in winter or in the rain.

BOSCH terminal corrosion.

1677953814178.png

Recently posted by @harryS
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.05.59 PM.png

Customer post.
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.04.03 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.56.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.56.11 AM.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.54.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.54.54 AM.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.54.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.54.06 AM.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.53.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.53.53 AM.png
    186 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.53.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 11.53.41 AM.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Just another scare tactic. I grew up in San Francisco. Salt air all around, 27/7. I had many bikes, cars, and cycles. Corrosion from salt air happens when you neglect the vehicle. It happens with anything metal. When you live at the coast, you know all this. You learn to wash the sea air off anything metal. Easy, just a quick hose down every now and then. If you keep vehicles indoors very little corrosion. Battery connectors need a little more cleaning every now and then. Putting wd40 or petroleum jelly on terminals keeps them rust free also. It's all real easy and nothing to ever get worried or paranoid about. lol. I mean wtf, you want to live risk free? Stay off a bike!

ehilce
'

Last edited:
I ride along salt water daily and do not have rust problems unlike many ridders in my area. Yes, I keep things clean but also use liquid Turtle Wax spray on almost everything. This includes places such a recessed 6mm hex kickstand bolt or inside stem screw heads but not the braking surfaces. It also prevents dirt from sticking. I just use some when drying a bike after a wash since I am wiping things down anyway. I use regular car wax about every six-months.
Boeshiled
I will get some of Tom's Boeshiled for connections. He knows his stuff.

I ride along salt water daily and do not have rust problems unlike many ridders in my area. Yes, I keep things clean but also use liquid Turtle Wax spray on almost everything. This includes places such a recessed 6mm hex kickstand bolt or inside stem screw heads but not the braking surfaces. It also prevents dirt from sticking. I just use some when drying a bike after a wash since I am wiping things down anyway. I use regular car wax about every six-months.

Any dielectric grease will work just fine. Didn't think Petaluma was close enough to the sea for much salt corrosion. I used to live nearby in Santa Rosa and never noticed the sea air.

close enough to the sea
Ah, we live on a tidal slue connected to the San Francisco Bay and Golden Gate, to the tidal salty Pacific Ocean. The main bike paths go along it. Unprotected here, bikes rust. We have seagulls everyday. In storms I feed them dog food. They follow me and beg. Santa Rosa was associated with the anti-Union position. Landlocked and pro Confederate during the Civil War, to unite us all and to move past slavery, SR was and is behind the times.
1677980991891.png

1677981238408.jpeg

1677981610931.jpeg

NYC is set to ban e-bikes with electric drivetrains that haven't earned UL certification. This is gonna kill off those storefronts selling dodgy bikes, though they may still come through Amazon, and there are already lots of other bad bikes on the ground already. Battery reassembly might move underground.

Beoshield is great stuff, and has wide applications as an aerosol. But I find it's also really expensive and not everyone wants or needs it's capabilities. The "old school" dielectric grease has also evolved ... today it isn't your grampa's grease for use on the tractor. As a silicone synthetic based grease I find it works really well in a nasty winter environment (want to see nasty winter conditions ... come and visit, I have the double whammy of heavy salt/ice melter applications on the roads for a long winter period and a generally higher amount of salt in the air when near the coast). I use the Prematex Delectric grease on my electrical connections (and different products on chains, gears, and cables) and I find it seals the connectors and stays in place better than a thin film product like Beoshield. It's also 10x cheaper ($3 vs $30+).

Beoshield is great stuff, and has wide applications as an aerosol. But I find it's also really expensive and not everyone wants or needs it's capabilities. The "old school" dielectric grease has also evolved ... today it isn't your grampa's grease for use on the tractor. As a silicone synthetic based grease I find it works really well in a nasty winter environment (want to see nasty winter conditions ... come and visit, I have the double whammy of heavy salt/ice melter applications on the roads for a long winter period and a generally higher amount of salt in the air when near the coast). I use the Prematex Delectric grease on my electrical connections (and different products on chains, gears, and cables) and I find it seals the connectors and stays in place better than a thin film product like Beoshield. It's also 10x cheaper ($3 vs $30+).
Another fan of the Permatex Dielectric grease. Been using it for a (very!) long time, and it's never given me any reason to change. Not saying there's no possibility of a better product available, but if this one is doing the job, my point is there's no need to change an old habit.... -Al

I just ordered a couple of fireproof battery bags for our Bosch and BH batteries. In 7 years we have never had any issues with overheating, but it doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution.

NYC is set to ban e-bikes with electric drivetrains that haven't earned UL certification. This is gonna kill off those storefronts selling dodgy bikes, though they may still come through Amazon, and there are already lots of other bad bikes on the ground already. Battery reassembly might move underground.

Sadly UL ratings are dodgy.

I prefer the light spectrum of kerosene. Why Change? Kidding aside my ACF50 can is 15 years old and has treated a dozen eBike systems and Mg Vespa scooters. My Boeshield will outlast me.

I just ordered a couple of fireproof battery bags for our Bosch and BH batteries. In 7 years we have never had any issues with overheating, but it doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution.
No such product, I’m sorry say.

Lithium battery fires cannot be smothered.

Screenshot_20230305-223907_DuckDuckGo.jpg

A battery bag may make it worse by containing the heat until the bag burns up.

Back