E-Bike Batteries Are Catching on Fire Way Too Often And delivery workers are demanding safe charging stations.

There's a certain kind of guy who always wants to blame the user, not the manufacturer, when the manufacturer's whole marketing pitch is here's this new carefree way to get around. This guy gets off on feeling superior to the average Joe.

The answer is almost always going to be make the experts do their job and create an idiot proof product. Not make every consumer into a hazmat expert.
Idiot proof - please illustrate your point here with a few examples of "idiot proof" transportation products. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I can't think of one example I don't see in the news frequently - that has very recently been proven NOT idiot proof..... again!

Idiot proof - please illustrate your point here with a few examples of "idiot proof" transportation products. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I can't think of one example I don't see in the news frequently - that has very recently been proven NOT idiot proof..... again!
ABS. Automatic transmission. Always on lights. Shall I go through the rest of the alphabet

ABS. Automatic transmission. Always on lights. Shall I go through the rest of the alphabet
At least continue through the "B"s for battery ... think about the treatment millions of cordless tools receive on a job site by often untrained workers ... dropped in mud and puddles, drill and saw handles (with batteries installed) used as hammers, batteries run dead and recharged multiple times a day, etc... yet I am not aware of any tool battery related fires.

Not transportation related, I admit, but still shows what can be done to "idiot proof" a product.

I guess I was on a different track. Your always on lights, ABS and auto trans keep you from turning somebody on a bike into a hood ornament? If no, how do they make a car/truck idiot proof? ANY idiot can climb behind the wheel and prove there is NO idiot proof mode of transportation. When in use, you assume a level of risk, or you walk......

Generalizing here, but its not out of line to say li-ion batteries are no more dangerous than passenger jet aircraft. When one falls out of the sky, the consequences are horrendous. It takes trained people to operate them so they don't kill everyone on board.

But... people the world over use them, day in and day out. And when one crashes we don't say "oh wow aircraft are dangerous" because duh we know that, and we accept the VERY small risk - that is never going to go away - in exchange for the routinely enjoyed benefit.

A more direct analogy is a half full gas tank in an auto, and what happens when the fumes inside get intro'd to a spark. No one questions the inherent danger. And nobody dwells on it, either, or walks vs. driving.

So seriously,..
Is this a better option for me?

No range anxiety and there are gas stations EVERYWHERE !!
We all know how to operate a gas powered vehicle safely.

Screenshot_20230301-172638_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I guess I was on a different track. Your always on lights, ABS and auto trans keep you from turning somebody on a bike into a hood ornament? If no, how do they make a car/truck idiot proof? ANY idiot can climb behind the wheel and prove there is NO idiot proof mode of transportation. When in use, you assume a level of risk, or you walk......
My point is that technologies can be and have been dumbed down successfully to make them safer for everyone, and not kept as little dainty fragile things. Art Decos point about tool batteries getting manhandled constantly without issue is a great example.
Generalizing here, but its not out of line to say li-ion batteries are no more dangerous than passenger jet aircraft. When one falls out of the sky, the consequences are horrendous. It takes trained people to operate them so they don't kill everyone on board.

But... people the world over use them, day in and day out. And when one crashes we don't say "oh wow aircraft are dangerous" because duh we know that, and we accept the VERY small risk - that is never going to go away - in exchange for the routinely enjoyed benefit.
Except that ebikes have already killed 12+ people in NYC alone in the past two years with vastly less passenger usage/miles. The risks are far from being the same.

Plus, that mentality is pretty arbitrary, it's basically saying we're already doing about as well as we can manage and we should just accept it. There's plenty of room for improvement.

NYC is unusual with all those people stacked on top of each other. And those with the least education and resources using eBikes for deliveries. Kindly take 39 seconds to view this video. The clutch is placed for catching a shoelace.

My point is that technologies can be and have been dumbed down successfully to make them safer for everyone, and not kept as little dainty fragile things. Art Decos point about tool batteries getting manhandled constantly without issue is a great example.
I think @tomjasz made an oblique effort (requiring some cogitation on the part of the reader) to get people to realize the difference between tool and ebike batteries. Its relatively simple to armor a pack that contains 2, 4 or 6 cells, for use in a product that is meant to accept physical abuse in the first place, and for which weight is not a particular factor. On the other hand, an ebike batter can easily have 25 to 50 times the number of cells in its pack; an order (or orders) of magnitude more weight, and presents an entirely different challenge that is not the no-brainer that a little piener-wiener tool battery would be. Hell... you want safety? Use LiFePo4. They don't burn. Except they have much less energy density than Li-NMC so you'll trade a 10 lb battery for a 15-17 lb one of the same capacity. My solar generator that uses that chemistry... well, the small portable one weighs 60 freaking pounds.

The only simple, straightforward part of this is typing about it on the internet.

Except that ebikes have already killed 12+ people in NYC alone in the past two years with vastly less passenger usage/miles. The risks are far from being the same.

Plus, that mentality is pretty arbitrary, it's basically saying we're already doing about as well as we can manage and we should just accept it. There's plenty of room for improvement.
Did the ebike kill the rider, or did an automobile running them over kill them? Absent actual facts I don't believe the statement that "ebikes have already killed 12+ people". Did they die in a fire? That is not an ebike killing them. Instead its any number of potential causes associated with batteries, practices, even building wiring.

Besides, going straight to my original point, "12+" people dead in a year pales into insignificance if you count the number of dead pedestrians and motorists associated with the use of the automobile. The sky is not falling here.

12+ people in NYC alone in the past two years
"Past Two-Years!" With a population of 8.5 million, and 8.9 deaths per year, per 100,000, that means 6 eBike deaths per year puts the odds at 0.0097% of dying on an eBike in NYC. Less then 10% of 1% of 8.5 million. How many were stoned on synthetic opioids? Or, had a stroke with SARs COV-19 before committing suicide under a bus because their girlfriend cheated? Or, didn't have working brakes but rode anyway while intellectually disabled? About 2% are intellectually disabled, we see that on EBR. 1 in 4 African American trans kids attempted suicide last year. This two-year stat is not significant enough to mention. It proves that eBikes are safe.

Last edited:
"Past Two-Years!" With a population of 8.5 million, and 8.9 deaths per year, per 100,000, that means 6 eBike deaths per year puts the odds at 0.0097% of dying on an eBike in NYC. Less then 10% of 1% of 8.5 million. How many were stoned on synthetic opioids? Or, had a stroke with SARs COV-19 before committing suicide under a bus because their girlfriend cheated? Or, didn't have working brakes but rode anyway while intellectually disabled? About 2% are intellectually disabled, we see that on EBR. 1 in 4 African American trans kids attempted suicide last year. This two-year stat is not significant enough to mention. It proves that eBikes are safe.
And we don't know anything about these these fires. Were they new Trek or Rad or Bosch, etc., batteries, or were they DIY rebuilds using the cheapest cells on Alibaba? Were people using best charging practices or stupidly careless, negligent practices? We don't know.

Your list is okay but it's only scratching the surface of things that are more risky than quality batteries, chargers, and charging practices. 500 people die in traffic accidents every two years in NYC. Let's start a thread on which model cars are to blame.

TT

You're talking like everyone in the city rides an ebike when it's only a small fraction. And the fires are overwhelmingly concentrated among dodgy imports, not brands that we know and discuss. So it's a fraction of a fraction with serious risk.

There's plenty of room for improvement.

I delivered the most beautiful and functional eBike to a Green Architect today. Its for his wife's 75th. Yes, the most pressured and impoverished will have the most problems in close quarters. As with disease. Improve that. There is plenty of room.

And we don't know anything about these these fires. Were they new Trek or Rad or Bosch, etc.,
And we don’t know that they were not Specialized or another alleged trusted source. I know of 4 big brands in litigation. There are two Specialized here on EBR.

Look I’m usually the first one to poke at those budget packs. And admit I take my charging to what many consider extreme. But the fact remains, the current chemistry in common use is or should be concerning.

I thin’ there’s a reason CATL, Ford, and others are investing billions in new production facilities and new chemistry. I’m guessing their actuaries can sort what the risk is and are moving away from NMC and other chemistries for good reason, staying out of litigation.

And we don’t know that they were not Specialized or another alleged trusted source. I know of 4 big brands in litigation. There are two Specialized here on EBR.
Brands being sued for fires? I only know of Rad, Jetson and Ancheer.

There have been lawsuits for manufacturer defects eg motor failures, but that's not the same as fires obviously. Also other catastrophic failures, but not fire related.

Last edited:
NYC bans reassembled batteries. Unclear how they'll actually enforce it. At a minimum, need to do random inspections at stores. If buybacks occur, I hope it's the food delivery companies/customers paying for it, not city residents.

Back