2021 Class 3 Commuter Ebikes Thread: A Comprehensive Listing

you really need to test ride at least a few different systems of bikes, since each system has unique characteristics. When I took my first test ride I was so impressed with the power of the 500 watt hub drive that I bought the bike right away. Only later did I realize that there is more to a system than raw power. It became clear to me that this bike was unsafe. How and when that power is delivered is very important. Now I have a less powerfull Bosch system but it delivers the power in a way that blends in with the pedal strokes almost perfectly. And I should say that I am not bashing all hub motor systems. the one I bought was too primitive but I am sure that there are great hub system bikes like OHM which solve the problems like cadence sensor response and spoke breakage.
same here. mine was not unsafe but it was so easy I did not work at all. though when I bought it that's what i needed because of my health issues. got a Bosch bike and made ya I have to work a little more but it is like night and day. my 500 watt mid drive bike is a eg bike. with a 52v 670 watt battery. the Bosch had a 350 watt with the 36v 500 watt batty. both at max assist the Bosch is about 1 mph or so average slower but I get 24 miles at full assist doing about 20 and the 500 watt I get maybe 14 miles. its a huge difference for such a little bit more performance.

Why so many Women's Bikes ? Very few women would even want a class 3 Bike :

They are not meant as women specific bikes. Step-thru are perfect if you want a commuter or casual rider where flinging your legs constantly over a high seat or rear rack with bags on it is no longer you're idea of fun, especially when you stop often and just like to be able to plant your feet and stand a bit without worrying about injury to your junk.

Haibike Urban Plus
28mph speed pedelec, so similar to Juiced and Stromer.
Haibike_2017_USA_URBAN_Plus_white.png
Never seen this model for Haibike, is it a 2020?

Ha good point though man is that thing ugly. Overwrought, and almost assuredly expensive and heavy.

Just looks like they were desperate to recycle bulbous moped bodywork.

Looks like that thing got canned. Was supposed to come out early 2020, no mentions of it in the press for months.

I will say, Ride1Up is now the most interesting and promising brand for the Class 3 commuter segment. As of today they have four ebikes, all class 3, well specced rigs, and terrific value.

Gogoro is also set to launch a Class 3 ebike in a matter of weeks.

I had a Juiced CCS as my first ebike. I definitely don't feel like I'm missing anything in the power department with my Vado 5. I can get to 28MPH easily. I had to power Eco down to 20% just to stay around 18MPH cruise on flat ground.

I don't commute but it would work perfectly for it. Certainly, it is not affordable and is overpriced...

Seeing these new Sondors XS bikes, I can't help thinking they missed the boat by not offering an urban class 3 variant. Sondors was revolutionary for its time, but, now...

It's odd how so many ebike brands make a great bike once and then never recover their thunder.

That's not a review.

Did you read the article... it's a review of the new custom-designed motor and wheel hub from Bafang.

A very interesting and unique design that incorporates the wheel and 1,000W motor in one assembly. ;)
Thanks to a recent update from Juiced Bikes on the current state of their HyperScorpion electric bike production, we’re getting our first detailed look at the bike’s custom-designed 1,000W motor. The HyperScorpion was first unveiled last year as the upgraded version of Juiced’s standard Scorpion electric bike. The moped-style electric bicycle is marketed as having a top speed of “30+ mph” (51+ km/h) and a rear hub motor rated for 1,000W. Now we’re learning that the special motor was a joint development between Juiced Bikes and the Chinese electric bicycle component manufacturer Bafang. Last year, Electrek took a behind-the-scenes tour of the Bafang factory and saw many of the same lines used to produce Juiced Bike’s new HyperScorpion motor, which we have now learned is being called the RetroBlade motor.

The Juiced RetroBlade motor uses a cassette instead of a simpler bicycle freewheel, which allows the use of higher quality shifters and derailleurs, improving the ruggedness of the drivetrain. It was also necessary to use a cassette for compatibility with the torque sensor used in the HyperScorpion. The opposite side of the motor houses the disc brake mounts and a side exit for the hub motor’s phase wires. The phase wires use higher-gauge wire than a typical Bafang motor and also employ a new locking connector rated for higher current. Tora also demonstrated a test run with the latest version of the HyperScorpion using the new Juiced RetroBlade motor. While climbing a slight incline, Tora hit a top speed of 33.4 mph(53.75 km/h).

1590430384713.png
1590432550440.png

Last edited:
Did you read the article... it's a review of the new custom-designed motor and wheel hub from Bafang.

A very interesting and unique design that incorporates the wheel and 1,000W motor in one assembly. ;)
Thanks to a recent update from Juiced Bikes on the current state of their HyperScorpion electric bike production, we’re getting our first detailed look at the bike’s custom-designed 1,000W motor. The HyperScorpion was first unveiled last year as the upgraded version of Juiced’s standard Scorpion electric bike. The moped-style electric bicycle is marketed as having a top speed of “30+ mph” (51+ km/h) and a rear hub motor rated for 1,000W. Now we’re learning that the special motor was a joint development between Juiced Bikes and the Chinese electric bicycle component manufacturer Bafang. Last year, Electrek took a behind-the-scenes tour of the Bafang factory and saw many of the same lines used to produce Juiced Bike’s new HyperScorpion motor, which we have now learned is being called the RetroBlade motor.

The Juiced RetroBlade motor uses a cassette instead of a simpler bicycle freewheel, which allows the use of higher quality shifters and derailleurs, improving the ruggedness of the drivetrain. It was also necessary to use a cassette for compatibility with the torque sensor used in the HyperScorpion. The opposite side of the motor houses the disc brake mounts and a side exit for the hub motor’s phase wires. The phase wires use higher-gauge wire than a typical Bafang motor and also employ a new locking connector rated for higher current. Tora also demonstrated a test run with the latest version of the HyperScorpion using the new Juiced RetroBlade motor. While climbing a slight incline, Tora hit a top speed of 33.4 mph(53.75 km/h).

View attachment 53375 View attachment 53377
Review = independent entity with product in hands assessing performance. Electrek reprinted things Tora said/showed. This really isn't hard.

Review = independent entity with product in hands assessing performance. Electrek reprinted things Tora said/showed. This really isn't hard.

Please stop and contribute something meaningful to the forum... we know you can do it. ;)

Last edited:
I added a comprehensive list of currently available Class 3 commuter ebikes at the beginning.
Well done... here is Court's list of Best Class 3 Electric Bikes of 2021 and a full list of all 194 C-3 eBikes he has reviewed. ;)

Here’s our top picks for best Class 3 electric bikes of 2021. These top Class 3 ebikes represent the best combination of features and value right now, but you can see all 194 of our detailed Class 3 electric bike reviews listed by date here. Reviewing ebikes is our primary focus. We’ve been doing this since 2012, creating the most diverse and objective guides we possibly can, helping millions of people in their search to find the best electric bike for their needs and budget. Let’s go! Table of Contents:

Back