Low-maintenance commuter e-bike for tall, heavy rider

Nice looking bike, but so many other options at lower prices. My personal experience has been very good with several under $2000 ebikes, now with well over 10,000+ miles overall, but might not be true for everyone. The less comfortable and capable you are with handling minor maintenence or small repairs, the more important to find a really good LBS and reliable brand.

Some people are happy with a Toyota Corola, other would rather pay a premium and drive a Lexus. Funny how the Corola crowd loves to chime in, asserting their frugality as the only sensible option. I don't begrudge people who prefer low cost Chinese bikes their preference. I get that some are more price sensitive than others. @gnabgib has defined his budget well above the bottom of the market. Thus it is unlikely that he would be content with an low cost ebike with entry level components.

Some people are happy with a Toyota Corola, other would rather pay a premium and drive a Lexus. Funny how the Corola crowd loves to chime in, asserting their frugality as the only sensible option. I don't begrudge people who prefer low cost Chinese bikes their preference. I get that some are more price sensitive than others. @gnabgib has defined his budget well above the bottom of the market. Thus it is unlikely that he would be content with an low cost ebike with entry level components.
Corolla. No Chinese parts on an Evelo ?

Unlikely that generic statements will apply to everyone, when it depends on each individual. Just because something costs more, doesn't necessarily make it "better." What is better?

Is a Range Rover better that a higher end Toyota SUV if it costs more? Some might rather have better reliability. Is a lower weight less expensive sports car better than a heavier more expensive sports car that has a bigger engine? Depends on what you want to do with it, and the type of experience you want. Would you rather have a $2000 bottle of wine, or ten $200 bottles? Depends. Same trade offs and differences in opinions and needs apply to ebikes.

Last edited:
Unlikely that generic statements will apply to everyone, when it depends on each individual. Just because something costs more, doesn't necessarily make it "better." What is better?

Is a Range Rover better that a higher end Toyota SUV if it costs more? Some might rather have better reliability. Is a lower weight less expensive sports car better than a heavier more expensive sports car that has a bigger engine? Depends on what you want to do with it, and the type of experience you want. Would you rather have a $2000 bottle of wine, or ten $200 bottles? Depends. Same trade offs and differences in opinions and needs apply to ebikes.
I'll agree with your point 100%, but to be fair, it needs to be made when comparing apples with apples. In the case of @Alaskan's new bike, there are features on it that cannot be found on less expensive bikes, like the belt drive and automatic transmission for instance.

I'll agree with your point 100%, but to be fair, it needs to be made when comparing apples with apples. In the case of @Alaskan's new bike, there are features on it that cannot be found on less expensive bikes, like the belt drive and automatic transmission for instance.
My Priority Current has belt drive and an IGH for $2599. Might not be up to his lofty standards but it suits me.

My Priority Current has belt drive and an IGH for $2599. Might not be up to his lofty standards but it suits me.
Those are nice bikes. Have a friend that loves the one they have. Just goes back to the conclusion that bikes are very person specific, as to their needs and wants. And especially for a newbie, who might not have a good understanding of how the specific bike will work out for them, until they actually use one for an extended period.

Back