2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
No. Not always.

Evidently more humor is not always better either...

I was addressing Apparatschik's specific application, and attempting to make a joke at the same time.
Next time I will be more clear when trying to be funny...
:rolleyes:
😆

Also, if you had been following closely, you would have seen that Apparatschik indicated that he has just over 160mm of seat post exposed, so he has plenty of room to install the longer-travel dropper post.
AND, that the OneUp V2 post is adjustable for less travel if desired to fine tune the amount of travel with 2 sets of 10mm shims to restrict full travel up to 20mm.
(The Pacific North West - Loam dropper is also adjustable in even finer 5mm increments without shims or tools to really dial in your preferred travel)

YMMV

Easy easy...one of my favourite mantras is: "Better loosing the best friend than omitting a good point!" Of course I'm a big fan of Englisch humor. Yesterday I got my booster. There was a long line in the practice. While waiting I remembered a scene of "Life of Brian": "To the boostering? Everbody just one prick please!" What's concerning me is the fact that today there is a kind of political correctness test for every joke. Some months ago I made a bad joke about Covid in a newspaper forum. One participant wrote: "It's not accaptable to make jokes about covid." I felt provoked and answered: "How about this one: ...." End of story: The newspaper locked my account. Brave new world.

But back to the dropper post. Yesterday I got the OneUp and prepared it for mounting. Of course 120mm are too much, hence I inserted these tiny pins to reduce it to 100mm. I'm 100% sure that way the post will fit. There is a chance that 110mm are also possible, we will see. (By the way, this flexibility regarding the dropping length is another argument for the OneUp.) And I'm looking forward to get off and onto the saddle most comfortably. With the original post I still have to lift my backside a little bit to get onto the bike, hence I'm already exhausted before starting the ride (joke).

Since some parts are still missing, I can't exchange the dropper post this weekend. But as soon as I have finished that job, I shall post a photograph here.

Last edited:
Back to shorter cranks - the FSA CK-761/IS/wider 160mm is perfect for me but I cannot find any in stock anywhere online. Can anyone suggest an alternative make with similar specs?

Back to shorter cranks - the FSA CK-761/IS/wider 160mm is perfect for me but I cannot find any in stock anywhere online. Can anyone suggest an alternative make with similar specs?
I just mounted the "e*thirteen e*spec" cranks. I chose the 165mm variant but they are also available in 160mm and 170mm. Price range between 60€ and 70€. Pretty good quality, better than the original ones and less weight.

I just mounted the "e*thirteen e*spec" cranks. I chose the 165mm variant but they are also available in 160mm and 170mm. Price range between 60€ and 70€. Pretty good quality, better than the original ones and less weight.
Presumably the Bosch G4 version. Might there be a clearance issue (both the rear swingarm chainstays as well as the rubber battery covers) with my 5mm shorter cranks?

Has anyone come across a part number for a gates belt on a 2021 Homage and where can one get a hold of one?

Has anyone come across a part number for a gates belt on a 2021 Homage and where can one get a hold of one?

The number should actually be printed on the back of the belt, but could have been worn down from rubbing on the tensioner pulley to where it is hard to read.
If you cannot read the printing on the back of the belt, you could spend the time to count the teeth by placing a mark (white crayon/china marker, or piece of tape) on the side of one tooth of the belt, and then physically count all the teeth. (Yes, I actually did do this on my belt to confirm the length because the printing on my belt was worn to the point I was not sure of what length it actually was.)

For the Rohloff hub bike the belt is a 137T length, and that should be the same for the Vario as well based upon the work I have been doing to re-gear my bike to the same sprocket ratio that the Vario models are using.
The Rohloff hub model uses a 60T/19T sprocket gearing with a theoretical sprocket center distance of 531.5mm.
The Vario hub model uses a 55T/24T sprocket gearing with a theoretical sprocket center distance of 533.6mm, and I currently have that exact same set of sprocket sizes fitted to my Rohloff hub bike with the stock 137T belt.
(Still waiting on R&M to authorize the reprogramming of my drive system to recognize that gearing in the Bosch/E14 software.)

In that case, the belt is:
Gates Carbon Drive CenterTrack CDX - Part #11M-137T-12CT
https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/products/belts/137t-cdx

Your LBS should be able to order one for you (as mine did), or I know for a fact that there is at least one in stock at Cycle Monkey in California, even though it is not currently listed on their website.
If your local shop doesn't want your money, drop an email to Cycle Monkey, and they can hook you up.
https://www.cyclemonkey.com/gates-carbon-drive

Just heard from R&M today, and they are going to authorize the change to the belt drive sprocket ratio on my Rohloff/Gates/CX equipped 2021 Homage.
Now just waiting for the LBS to coordinate with them so that R&M can remote into my bike to download the required software changes.

I am STOKED!!!
🚴‍♂️

The belt-driven Homage models use the same belt sprockets for both the lower speed Class-1 and the High Speed versions with either the Vario or Rohloff hubs.
The chain driven models use a different size chainring for the Class-1 and High Speed versions, which makes much more sense since there is is such a difference in the maximum assistance speed.

The 2021 Homage with Rohloff/Gates comes from R&M with a 60/19T (3.16) sprocket ratio, which may be fine for the High Speed model, but left the top 4 gears basically useless for me, because I was spinning out of the Class-1 20mph assistance speed in 10 gear on the Rohloff hub. And the taller primary reduction has left me wanting for some lower gearing on the bottom end with some of the steep grades that I encounter in the Kettle-Moraine Forest of Wisconsin.

My new gearing is going to be 55/24T (2.29), which is going to shift the overall gear range about 3 places in relation to stock, meaning that I will still have one gear above the 20mph cut off speed at my normal 80-90rpm cadence, and will have three lower gears at the bottom end for off-road riding and hill climbing.

Just heard from R&M today, and they are going to authorize the change to the belt drive sprocket ratio on my Rohloff/Gates/CX equipped 2021 Homage.
Now just waiting for the LBS to coordinate with them so that R&M can remote into my bike to download the required software changes.

I am STOKED!!!
🚴‍♂️

The belt-driven Homage models use the same belt sprockets for both the lower speed Class-1 and the High Speed versions with either the Vario or Rohloff hubs.
The chain driven models use a different size chainring for the Class-1 and High Speed versions, which makes much more sense since there is is such a difference in the maximum assistance speed.

The 2021 Homage with Rohloff/Gates comes from R&M with a 60/19T (3.16) sprocket ratio, which may be fine for the High Speed model, but left the top 4 gears basically useless for me, because I was spinning out of the Class-1 20mph assistance speed in 10 gear on the Rohloff hub. And the taller primary reduction has left me wanting for some lower gearing on the bottom end with some of the steep grades that I encounter in the Kettle-Moraine Forest of Wisconsin.

My new gearing is going to be 55/24T (2.29), which is going to shift the overall gear range about 3 places in relation to stock, meaning that I will still have one gear above the 20mph cut off speed at my normal 80-90rpm cadence, and will have three lower gears at the bottom end for off-road riding and hill climbing.
Sounds like a good outcome

Presumably the Bosch G4 version. Might there be a clearance issue (both the rear swingarm chainstays as well as the rubber battery covers) with my 5mm shorter cranks?
The e*thirteen e*spec are especially designed for the Bosch CX Gen 4. They fit perfectly at my bike (Homage 2021, Rohloff). 5mm less shouldn't be a problem either. I already tested them by driving a few kilometres. Nice! (The reduced length doesn't seem to be a problem at all. In other words: It's hard to recognise a difference regarding the pedalling power.)
Evidently more humor is not always better either...

I was addressing Apparatschik's specific application, and attempting to make a joke at the same time.
Next time I will be more clear when trying to be funny...
:rolleyes:
😆

Also, if you had been following closely, you would have seen that Apparatschik indicated that he has just over 160mm of seat post exposed, so he has plenty of room to install the longer-travel dropper post.
AND, that the OneUp V2 post is adjustable for less travel if desired to fine tune the amount of travel with 2 sets of 10mm shims to restrict full travel up to 20mm.
(The Pacific North West - Loam dropper is also adjustable in even finer 5mm increments without shims or tools to really dial in your preferred travel)

YMMV
You're right. I just reconfigured the post by increasing the travel up to 110mm after I had measured the current length of the original post. Maybe 120mm are also possible. Probably tomorrow I will mount the new post at the bike. Almost forgot. Thanks for persuading me to take the OneUp. I'm now sure it was the better choice. The flexibility regarding the length of that post shouldn't be underestimated.

Last edited:
Homage + Thule Velospace Carrier…

Riese & Müller Homage & Thule Velospace 3-bike carrier

Riese & Müller Homage & Thule Velospace 3-bike carrier

Riese & Müller Homage
Thule Velospace 3-bike carrier
The Homage is not the easiest ebike to carry on a car rack. Here's my solution using a foldable towball-mounted Thule Velospace 3-bike carrier. Despite being a long ebike, the Homage doesn't exceed the car's width as much as my iPhone might suggest!
  • white rag : protection for down tube
  • green strap : for my peace of mind (for example, over traffic-calming humps)
  • 10mm x 1.2m plastic-coated cable with Abus lock (near rear shock valve)
Trivia:
  • double-sided velcro next to orange strap on front carrier (holds brake on ; for example, on trains)
  • Fidlock magnetic water bottle mount on down tube

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a pair of Hope cranks on my 2019 Homage and I like them a lot. They're British, I think, but my CO LBS was able to get them. They are 165s. Next time, I will get 160s. I got them for a few reasons, mainly because I am pretty short but also to cut down on pedal strikes. Since installing them, the pedal strikes are almost nonexistent.

Likewise my wife’s Homage has had the 155 mm cranks on her Homage for about 10 months now - not a single pedal strike riding about 80% off road. For what it’s worth I have the same cranks on my Superdelite Mountain riding the same trails significantly more aggressively, and no pedal strikes in 10 months either. A great addition!

On the subject of bags, here is the one Susie has on her Homage - it’s a cracker! Waxed canvas, large enough for a bottle of champers, and foil lined to keep it cool 😎 The bag is made by Tourbon.

Attachments

• 0CDF966E-BDD9-4610-A258-1C4EB78358F4.jpeg
    0CDF966E-BDD9-4610-A258-1C4EB78358F4.jpeg
    674.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 31782948-AD99-4D60-B536-9C495819EC1B.jpeg
    31782948-AD99-4D60-B536-9C495819EC1B.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 200
Back