2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Likewise my wife’s Homage has had the 155 mm cranks on her Homage for about 10 months now - not a single pedal strike riding about 80% off road. For what it’s worth I have the same cranks on my Superdelite Mountain riding the same trails significantly more aggressively, and no pedal strikes in 10 months either. A great addition!
Last friday and yesterday I went to office by bike, hence I could test the new cranks (e*thirteen 165mm) and the new dropper post OneUp V2 configured with 110mm travel. Hard to recognise that the new cranks are 5mm shorter. Finally I had no ground contact with the new cranks during the two rides, especially on the trail section on my way home. Mission "increased ground clearance" accomplished!

Smitty…
I’ve purchased spare belts from Bike24.com. Excellent service: fair price and usually same day dispatch.
David
Had a new spare belt bundled with (non-Homage R&M) ebike purchase in 2018, still don't need it.
But have purchased from bike24 other parts Rohloff, Schwalbe, Ergon, Bosch (just in case out bush) spare magnet & reed switch, etc.
When you buy a few together with the freight to Aus, it's usually much cheaper. Fresher stock too.
Sorry Aus retailers..

Easy easy...one of my favourite mantras is: "Better loosing the best friend than omitting a good point!" Of course I'm a big fan of Englisch humor. Yesterday I got my booster. There was a long line in the practice. While waiting I remembered a scene of "Life of Brian": "To the boostering? Everbody just one prick please!" What's concerning me is the fact that today there is a kind of political correctness test for every joke. Some months ago I made a bad joke about Covid in a newspaper forum. One participant wrote: "It's not accaptable to make jokes about covid." I felt provoked and answered: "How about this one: ...." End of story: The newspaper locked my account. Brave new world.

But back to the dropper post. Yesterday I got the OneUp and prepared it for mounting. Of course 120mm are too much, hence I inserted these tiny pins to reduce it to 100mm. I'm 100% sure that way the post will fit. There is a chance that 110mm are also possible, we will see. (By the way, this flexibility regarding the dropping length is another argument for the OneUp.) And I'm looking forward to get off and onto the saddle most comfortably. With the original post I still have to lift my backside a little bit to get onto the bike, hence I'm already exhausted before starting the ride (joke).

Since some parts are still missing, I can't exchange the dropper post this weekend. But as soon as I have finished that job, I shall post a photograph here.
My method to lower and raise my homage is much much easier - at stops I let the air out of my tires and just add fresh air before I take off again. Actually my homage won’t be built till February 2022, but I’ve enjoyed reading and learning from everyone - it would seem I should ask propel to install 160 cranks and a different dropper post if I want my vertically challenged self flat footed at stops?

Last edited:
My method to lower and raise my homage is much much easier - at stops I let the air out of my tires and just add fresh air before I take off again. Actually my homage won’t be built till February 2022, but I’ve enjoyed reading and learning from everyone - it would seem I should ask propel to install 160 cranks and a different dropper post if I want my vertically challenged self flat footed at stops?

Crank length and seat height/drop is much more related to your inseam versus overall height.
I am just over 5'-10" (1.78m), but seem to have a shorter than normal inseam for my height of only 28" (711mm).

My preference is for either 160mm or even the set of 155mm cranks I have tried with my inseam.
Others are happy with the longer 165mm cranks, and some stick with the stock 170mm ones.

YMMV

A few add-ons…

2021 Riese & Müller Homage Touring

Very nice. I’ve got the Jonny Watts on my Nevo3 and I’m going to be adding the Panaracer Kevlar liners next week.
My 2021 Homage took a long time to show up – no surprises there! – and was then sidelined by a dud rear shock. Result: it's had only seven months use, which is probably too limited for a long-term report. So be it!

I did not ride the Homage with the supplied tyres, swapping them for Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTBs (57–584) which I rode for a few months before changing to Schwalbe Johnny Watts (65-584) because they were wider. Both tyres are recommended but, for the moment, I'm prepared to accept a slight trade-off in ruggedness for the gain in width that the JWs offer.

My 2021 Homage took a long time to show up – no surprises there! – and was then sidelined by a dud rear shock. Result: it's had only seven months use, which is probably too limited for a long-term report. So be it!

I did not ride the Homage with the supplied tyres, swapping them for Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTBs (57–584) which I rode for a few months before changing to Schwalbe Johnny Watts (65-584) because they were wider. Both tyres are recommended but, for the moment, I'm prepared to accept a slight trade-off in ruggedness for the gain in width that the JWs offer.
Wow, you've been super unlucky with that Homage! (or plural?)
I like the Marathon Plus MTB's but i think like you i'd be happier with even a 62mm version or more, albeit heavy.
I soon will be trying a combo of 70-584 Johnny Watts up front & 65-584 Pickup on rear (hard-tail SuperCharger), could be interesting!
And damn it, just noticed a new contender with a good max load rating! :

Last edited:
I apologize if these have been answered before (this thread is quite long :) )
  1. On the Dual Batteries model, is it possible to run the bike on a single battery to save the weight when you don't need the range?
  2. If yes, can the cover still stay on?
  3. Does anyone know the weight of the bike with IGH and the two batteries?
Thanks

Last edited:
Other question for Homage users.
4. If you configure the Homage with the Higher torque Bosch CX, is the assist artificially limited to 20mph or also 28mph?

1. On the Dual Batteries model, is it possible to run the bike on a single battery to save the weight when you don't need the range?
  2. If yes, can the cover still stay on?
  3. Does anyone know the weight of the bike with IGH and the two batteries?
Thanks

1) Yes, the dual-battery model can be run with just a single battery installed.
The single battery can be mounted in either side of the frame.

2) The rubber covers are mounted to the battery case, and have no way to be attached to the frame if removed from the case.
R&M does sell a separate part to cover the opening in the frame when the battery is removed, not sure on cost.

3) 80.2 pounds (36.38kg) for my particular bike. (See my post linked below)
The owner's manual lists a weight range for the Homage depending on options (batteries/racks/etc.) of between: 62.8 – 81.1 lbs (28.5 – 36.8 kg)

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/2021-2022-riese-mueller-homage.37148/post-408822
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/2021-2022-riese-mueller-homage.37148/post-408951

1) Yes, the dual-battery model can be run with just a single battery installed.
The single battery can be mounted in either side of the frame.

2) The rubber covers are mounted to the battery case, and have no way to be attached to the frame if removed from the case.
R&M does sell a separate part to cover the opening in the frame when the battery is removed, not sure on cost.

3) 80.2 pounds (36.38kg) for my particular bike. (See my post linked below)
The owner's manual lists a weight range for the Homage depending on options (batteries/racks/etc.) of between: 62.8 – 81.1 lbs (28.5 – 36.8 kg)

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/2021-2022-riese-mueller-homage.37148/post-408822
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/2021-2022-riese-mueller-homage.37148/post-408951
Thank you so much for that, and great news about single battery operation and cover, I have not found that separate cover for sale online

Other question for Homage users.
4. If you configure the Homage with the Higher torque Bosch CX, is the assist artificially limited to 20mph or also 28mph?

Yes, the CX motor assistance is limited to 20mph.
But No, the Performance Line Speed motor does not have lower torque output.

The MAIN difference between the two motors is the availability of adaptive power modes in the CX motor versus flat rate support percentages in all modes on the Speed motor.

I happen to LOVE the adaptive eMTB mode in my CX equipped Homage!!!
And I am hoping to get the adaptive Tour+ mode activated on my unit as well, if my LBS will do that for me.
(In theory, the Tour+ mode is supposed to only be activated on chain-driven bikes, which does not make any sense since the higher dynamic assist eMTB mode is able to be used on belt drive bikes.)

The adaptive power modes automatically adjusts the percentage of motor boost based upon your input torque, cadence, speed, and several other factors; calculating and adjusting 1,000 times per second.
The result is a very natural pedaling experience which feels very much like pedaling a non-assisted bicycle, just with bionic legs!

I have bad knees, and on my previous e-bike was constantly having to change the power mode depending upon changes to the grade/wind/etc. to keep from hurting my knees while riding.
The Bosch CX eMTB mode basically eliminated the need to ever think about my power assist mode except for occasionally cranking it up to Turbo for long & steep climbs.

I don't often miss the extra 8mph of possible assistance speed.
I usually maintain a level ground pace of 14-15mph, which is just fine for me since I am riding for recreation, mental health, and fitness.
When I do start topping out the speed limit, I just remind myself to slow down 1-2mph and enjoy being alive.
And when going down the hills in my area the bike will easily coast to well over 30mph, which is above the assistance limit of the higher speed unit.

Below are a couple of links to the Bosch E-Bike webpage explaining the adaptive modes, and a chart of the differences between the Speed and CX motors.

As always, YMMV.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/products/emtb-mode
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/news/tour
1641767017044.png

Last edited:
Thanks again, Great to know there is no reduced torque in the speed version.
And thanks for that cover link :)

One more question :)
Anyone with a Small Homage frame (49 I believe) has the minimum seat top height with and / or without the dropper post?

When you take one out to slightly imbalance the bike and save 2.9-3.5kg (minus the weight of any blank battery cover) you lose:
With a twin battery system the Bosch motor draws approx 5% power from one battery and then switches to the other to draw 5% and repeat.
This allows the chemistry of one battery to settle before being used again and also any heat generated via discharge to dissipate.
For extended battery life it's best to use Lithium batteries between approx 20 & 80%, using a single battery all the time you run into the bad areas more often.

Back