2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I have only ridden my new Homage a few days or so but believe the saddle is quite good. It is very comfortable after I adjusted the saddle a bit, both in terms of tilt and sliding it either forward or backwards after a little riding a bit then readjusting it. It is a bid wider, but not bad at all in terms of the riding.
Hi smitty, I think the frame size of the homage you have determined for your wife is correct. For her height of 171 cm there is no alternative. If you compare the frame geometry of both bikes with the smallest frame size (49 cm / 47 cm), you will find there is not a big difference. The reach of the Nevo is a little bit smaller (37cm versus 38,5cm), which means a slightly more upright position on the Nevo due to my estimation. But I don't think it's a big deal. The crucial point is maybe, whether you prefer a fully or not. I opted for a fully to be better prepared for some offroad riding. Anyway...better try than cry.

By the way ... have you really got such strict lockdown rules in Australia? The risk of getting infected, if you are outside and keep distance, is practically zero due to current scientific studies about infection by aerosols. Hence where is the problem when testing a bike. But I see...politicians are overreacting in your country like in my country.

Hi Apparatschik - thanks - re the Homage vs Nevo - thanks for info - was actually just concerned more about Stack height rather than reach - the current bike she has is the Specialized Turbo Como - and it is very upright which she likes but it has zero suspension. I bought a redshift seat post but not much i can do for front end compliance. we want to go on trails a bit too - so R&M more suited. but the stack height - (centre of crank vertical to headset I believe) for the Como is more aligned to the Nevo3 - whereas the Homage appears to be more leaned over. Just wanted to know real world experience on this as would much prefer Homage if it fits ok.

Re the by the way.........yep - appreciate the science and the differences in approach - but we have a Delta variant outbreak in my state - and Aus is very strict - between now and end Sept/Oct, I cant travel outside my local town area - and bike shops can do buy on line and collect at store front but you can't do a demo ride. Nor can I get my haircut or go to the pub - both a disaster.

Issue is that for homage and for Nevo - i have to order without trying if I have any hope of getting prior to Christmas (our summer) - and I didnt have confidence that the bike store really could advise us well - better to seek info from other owners. Cheers (virtually). David.

Hi Apparatschik - thanks - re the Homage vs Nevo - thanks for info - was actually just concerned more about Stack height rather than reach - the current bike she has is the Specialized Turbo Como - and it is very upright which she likes but it has zero suspension. I bought a redshift seat post but not much i can do for front end compliance. we want to go on trails a bit too - so R&M more suited. but the stack height - (centre of crank vertical to headset I believe) for the Como is more aligned to the Nevo3 - whereas the Homage appears to be more leaned over. Just wanted to know real world experience on this as would much prefer Homage if it fits ok.

Re the by the way.........yep - appreciate the science and the differences in approach - but we have a Delta variant outbreak in my state - and Aus is very strict - between now and end Sept/Oct, I cant travel outside my local town area - and bike shops can do buy on line and collect at store front but you can't do a demo ride. Nor can I get my haircut or go to the pub - both a disaster.

Issue is that for homage and for Nevo - i have to order without trying if I have any hope of getting prior to Christmas (our summer) - and I didnt have confidence that the bike store really could advise us well - better to seek info from other owners. Cheers (virtually). David.

Have you looked at the Homage with the comfort kit (and the swept back handlebars)?...My wife and I had been test riding a bunch of eBikes lately and we did happen to ride the Specialized Turbo Como right after a Homage with the comfort it. The handlebars are pretty swept back and also have that upright ride. If you also get the Homage with the Kiox or Nyon display, I believe that you also get the RM cockpit which also has fore and aft adjustment. Just something to check out and think about if you haven't already.

Cheers

-Sam

Hi Strats...I just saw that I answered the wrong post. But you recognised that you was the addressee of the answer.

What I can add ist that I made a test drive with a homage 54 cm, normal handle bars and was quite happy. I'm 183 cm tall ( in the morning morning) and my position on the bike can be described as moderate sportive. As already mentioned by evosam there are possibilities to achieve a more upright position like selecting the comfort handlebar and also the stem (correct word?...my englisch ist not perfect espcially regarding all these technical terms) can be put into a more upright position. Whether all this will be sufficient for your wife finally I can't answer.

And I comprehend, that the current lockdown in your country is really a problem when you have to choose a bike. We've got a similair situation last winter in Germany. I was busy with renovating my bathroom and the hardware stores were closed. Every time I needed special parts (e. g. pressfittings for the water installation) I had to order them via internet. Hence I needed almost half a year for the whole job. On the other hand I was busy during this time and had sufficient physical training (fitness studios were closed too) which I don not get from my normal Job as a software guy. ("Alway look on the bright side of life..." :D)

Cheer up, everyone!

Here's my 2021 Homage Touring with Comfort Kit nearing the end of today's 122 km ride. The photo was taken looking across Moreton Bay to the Pacific with Fiji, Hawaii and Vancouver Island 'just over the horizon'.

Ted Smout Memorial Bridge, Moreton Bay

Cheer up, everyone!

Here's my 2021 Homage Touring with Comfort Kit nearing the end of today's 122 km ride. The photo was taken looking across Moreton Bay to the Pacific with Fiji, Hawaii and Vancouver Island 'just over the horizon'.
And not a worry in the world about the roll-off! :)

Last edited:
Interesting to see @David Berry

I have similar issue with my Enviolo hub - need a cadence of 100rpm to maintain 40kph+ …. I was led to believe the Rohloff higher gear ratios would fix this and allow better utilisation of the high speed Bosch 4 motor that doesn’t cut out until 45kph….

hmmm you’ve got me thinking here now!
Following up on my earlier comment on the topic.

Out of curiosity, I did a test ride in 14th (top) gear on my SC2 HS Rohloff bike. At 30km/hr the cadence was vey close to 50 rotations/min. Therefore at 45km/hr the cadence would be 75 rotations/min.

I don't yet know whether >40km/hr can be maintained 14th gear.

Peter

PS I'll check and report back.

Last edited:
The motor is more efficient at higher cadences though, i think for the Bosch gen 4 it's something like 70 to 90 rpm is the sweet spot.
Spinning at a higher cadence is also better for things like knees, because you're spinning faster but apply less pressure to the pedals to achieve the same speed.
45kmh at 75rpm sounds like someone calculated the gear ratio and planned it that way.

Following up on my earlier comment on the topic.

Out of curiosity, I did a test ride in 14th (top) gear on my SC2 HS Rohloff bike. At 30km/hr the cadence was vey close to 50 rotations/min. Therefore at 45km/hr the cadence would be 75 rotations/min.

I don't yet know whether >40km/hr can be maintained 14th gear.

Peter

PS I'll check and report back.
This evening I tested riding at 40+ km/hr on a fairly flat sealed path with no wind.

In 14th gear and Turbo mode it was easy to maintain 40+ km/hr, with around 70 revs/min cadence. HR increased slightly above my normal riding range when I'm riding slower with minimal assist, at cadence of 80.

Interestingly I tried 13th gear with higher cadence at 40+ km/hr and my HR increased further. Maybe it would have stabilized at a lower level had I stayed in 13th for longer.

An interesting exercise.

Maybe we should start a new topic about this?

Cheers

Peter, can you fill us in on how R&M ebikes are configured for New Zealand.

Is your SuperCharger speed-restricted in any way?

My understanding is that the only stipulation is that motors are limited to 300 watts. There is no requirement for pedal assist to be capped; just obey the speed limits imposed on all other vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, can you fill us in on how R&M ebikes are configured for New Zealand.

Is your SuperCharger speed-restricted in any way?

My understanding is that the only stipulation is that motors are limited to 300 watts. There is no requirement for pedal assist to be capped; just obey the speed limits imposed on all other vehicles.
Hello David.

Yes, it is my understanding that NZ regulations require that only power is limited as you point out.

However my bike is not delimited speed-wise so assistance is cut at around 45km/hr. I have felt the bike pull up at that speed.

I'm happy with the assist speed limitation and feel there's no need for RM to have a special case setup for NZ.

When I had the maximum torque upgraded to 85Nm RM required confirmation from LBS that even though the bike is an HS version it wasn't subject to EU limitations and so the upgrade could be done. Ditto having the preset always on lights changed to switchable.

Peter

This evening I tested riding at 40+ km/hr on a fairly flat sealed path with no wind.

In 14th gear and Turbo mode it was easy to maintain 40+ km/hr, with around 70 revs/min cadence. HR increased slightly above my normal riding range when I'm riding slower with minimal assist, at cadence of 80.

Interestingly I tried 13th gear with higher cadence at 40+ km/hr and my HR increased further. Maybe it would have stabilized at a lower level had I stayed in 13th for longer.

An interesting exercise.

Maybe we should start a new topic about this?

Cheers
Totally makes sense. Higher cadence = higher cardio effort to maintain so consequently higher HR.

lower cadence = more leg muscle doing the power so lower HR, but harder to maintain for longer periods.

for most people, 85-90rpm is a sweet spot of ease/resistance for longer rides.

I am currently doing a training plan on Zwift on my roadbike and it varies cadence from 65-115rpm to simulate different riding styles and higher power / low cadence is HARD as it simulates hill climbing effectively but is sore on knees if done for too long.

Sam…
Please share some of your NZ ebike adventures on the Our Rides thread.

Every now and again I mention there how New Zealand is ebiking paradise but no one responds by posting photos or videos!
…David

Sure thing mate - will try to do tonight
Drip feed the videos, Sam. Not all at the same time: keep us waiting!

Our extraordinary rides are our justification for owning (investing in?) such wonderful R&M freedom machines.

Has anyone checked out the axle on the 2021 Homage? I have looked everywhere to find out how to remove the front tire from its axle. It is apparently a different axle than on the older Homages. This looks as though one needs a torx 25 to start the quick release spinning and then pulling the axle off. Simple enough if that's the way to go, but cannot come across directions anywhere, just to double check sine the bike is new to me, for sure

Has anyone checked out the axle on the 2021 Homage? I have looked everywhere to find out how to remove the front tire from its axle. It is apparently a different axle than on the older Homages. This looks as though one needs a torx 25 to start the quick release spinning and then pulling the axle off. Simple enough if that's the way to go, but cannot come across directions anywhere, just to double check sine the bike is new to me, for sure
What fork do you have on the front?....mine still came with the Suntour and has that twist and push unlock on one side with the quick release lever on the other side. Apparently some bikes have been shipping with the Marzocchi forks which may use a different system?

When I picked up my Homage a few weeks ago, I did have a checklist I went through for parts, configuration etc... since I had read R&M were starting to replace some parts with others.

that is what I thought because there is a good video on the push unlock that I watched. So today, I went out to check and that push unlock does not seem to show up with the clockwise turn as I watched the video. I am guessing that there is not a problem but a bit curious and looks like it needs a 25 torx to take it out?

Back